TCU Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016 | 09:41 AM
Advanced

TCU Recall

In early August, I was contacted by Honda Canada that the phone companies are upgrading the CDMA to 4G LTE network. I was asked to contact the dealer to get the new telematics control unit (TCU) installed. The TCU links the RDX with Acuralink for vehicle data up/download and roadside service etc.

It has been a long process over ten weeks involving waiting for parts, technical instructions, software refresh… This was the first TCU replacement for the dealer/Honda Canada and they have it finally sorted out.

Has anyone else received the TCU recall notice?
Old 11-01-2016 | 11:59 AM
Pro

I received the notice in July 2016. The notice said, "If you experience a complete loss of your Acuralink service in the second half of 2016, or later, then call Acura to make an appointment to get the TCU replaced". It also said that the new unit would not be available until September 2016.

Since the CDMA network will be decommissioned in different geographic areas at different times, I believe that Acura only wants to replace the TCU when you are actually affected. This would help them by spreading the need for parts over several months.

I am in Barrie, and I have noticed that traffic has been unavailable for 1-2 hours on occasion, but it is still working for 98% of the time, so I have not made an appointment yet.
Old 11-01-2016 | 07:59 PM
Drifting

I have not even bothered with my Acuralink, and I did get that notice. I get the traffic warnings though. So I don't care about this.
Old 11-01-2016 | 09:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I have not even bothered with my Acuralink, and I did get that notice. I get the traffic warnings though. So I don't care about this.
I expect your 2017 RDX is still operating under the 1 year free trial of AcuraLink. When the trial expires, you will no longer get the traffic warnings.

If I understand correctly, to get a repair made, you need to prove that your current TCU is affecting your operation of the vehicle. In other words, owners who do not have an active AcuraLink subscription cannot possibly claim to be affected when the CDMA network is decommissioned and therefore will not get the free replacement. If you decide to get a subscription after the warranty expires, you will have to pay for the replacement yourself. Even if you don't ever intend on using AcuraLink, not having a working TCU could affect your resale value in the future.

So even if you have no intention of renewing your subscription after the one year trial, you should be hoping that CDMA will be decommissioned prior to the expiry of the trial, so that you can get the free TCU replacement.
Old 11-02-2016 | 07:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I expect your 2017 RDX is still operating under the 1 year free trial of AcuraLink. When the trial expires, you will no longer get the traffic warnings.

If I understand correctly, to get a repair made, you need to prove that your current TCU is affecting your operation of the vehicle. In other words, owners who do not have an active AcuraLink subscription cannot possibly claim to be affected when the CDMA network is decommissioned and therefore will not get the free replacement. If you decide to get a subscription after the warranty expires, you will have to pay for the replacement yourself. Even if you don't ever intend on using AcuraLink, not having a working TCU could affect your resale value in the future.

So even if you have no intention of renewing your subscription after the one year trial, you should be hoping that CDMA will be decommissioned prior to the expiry of the trial, so that you can get the free TCU replacement.
I was experiencing intermittent connection problems and took the RDX in for the upgrade. The dealer was reluctant to do anything as they have not received any technical bulletin on this from Honda Canada. I escalated this to HC and got it going.

Rick, I believe you are correct that one would have to pay for the upgrade at a later date when you Acuralink subscription is expired. The parts alone is over $1,200.

I am glad that I have done it.
Old 11-02-2016 | 10:55 AM
Racer

Acura has this info on their web site( Acura Canada)

Important Information on AcuraLink Services in Canada.
As a result of cellular network changes being made by local providers throughout Canada, AcuraLink services will become inoperable through 2016, and 2017 in some areas. This impacts all AcuraLink-equipped vehicles manufactured before August 2016.
Old 11-02-2016 | 01:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I did get that notice.
2014 RDX AWD - Tech - Black/Black
2017 RDX AWD - Elite - Blue/Grey
Originally Posted by kareshi
Acura has this info on their web site This impacts all AcuraLink-equipped vehicles manufactured before August 2016.
So I guess BLEXV6 was sent the letter regarding his 2014 RDX and not his 2017 as I suspected. All the same, he should get the new unit installed for free if he is still covered under warranty. Of course if he doesn't have a current subscription to AcuraLink, he may have to purchase one for ~$130 in order to save $1200 plus labor at a later date if he ever decides to uses it.
Old 11-02-2016 | 06:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
So I guess BLEXV6 was sent the letter regarding his 2014 RDX and not his 2017 as I suspected. All the same, he should get the new unit installed for free if he is still covered under warranty. Of course if he doesn't have a current subscription to AcuraLink, he may have to purchase one for ~$130 in order to save $1200 plus labor at a later date if he ever decides to uses it.
Nope, the 17, the 14 does not even have Acuralink,