AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX (2013-2018) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/)
-   -   Squealing brakes (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/squealing-brakes-934672/)

nihar15 08-07-2015 09:41 AM

Squealing brakes

My 2014 RDX FWD base has 19K miles and the brakes have started squealing. Is this the normal time when this happens? My altima did not do that for atleast 40K but then it is a hybrid so goes easier on brakes.

My question is do you recommend doing this at the dealer or my trusty old mechanic should be able to do that?

nihar15 08-07-2015 10:01 AM

Update: I called the dealer and they say I am hitting the brakes too hard and overheating the brakes. Even if we change the pads and resurface the rotors, the squeal and shuddering at high speed braking can come back the next day!! This does not make any sense! None of my cars have done that. His argument is that this is a heavy vehicle! So what?? Do all SUV's do that?

Kaputnik 08-07-2015 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by nihar15 (Post 15517852)
Update: I called the dealer and they say I am hitting the brakes too hard and overheating the brakes. Even if we change the pads and resurface the rotors, the squeal and shuddering at high speed braking can come back the next day!! This does not make any sense! None of my cars have done that. His argument is that this is a heavy vehicle! So what?? Do all SUV's do that?

When you talked to the dealer, who was "they?" Unless you have unusual braking habits, I find their rationale a bit hard to believe. You should be able to get a visual on the pads if they are prematurely worn, or feel/inspect your rotor surfaces for any unusual wear. I changed out my OEM pads at 45k, even though they still had quite a bit to go, as they were noisy. They had become a bit "glazed" as the previous owner put very few miles on the car over several years. There was also fair amount of rust in the non-contact area of the rotors, so I had the rotors resurfaced and the brake noise (grind/squeal) went away - smooth as silk now.

Sounds like you are driving regularly, so any thin surface rotor rust building up while the car sits around (in rain?) should not be the cause. I'd bring it in and ask them to check it out, something is not right. Especially since you are under warranty if it is not a wear issue.

nihar15 08-07-2015 03:08 PM

I talked to the service department from the dealer I bought the car from. They are 45 mins. away.
Next I talked to the mechanic I have used for my other cars and he did say that suv's end up with warped rotors more often than not and he advices his clients to buy new rotors off the internet.

Should I stick to OEM acura rotors and pads or does anyone have recommendation on 3rd party rotors/pads which are better?

Originally Posted by Kaputnik (Post 15518040)
When you talked to the dealer, who was "they?" Unless you have unusual braking habits, I find their rationale a bit hard to believe. You should be able to get a visual on the pads if they are prematurely worn, or feel/inspect your rotor surfaces for any unusual wear. I changed out my OEM pads at 45k, even though they still had quite a bit to go, as they were noisy. They had become a bit "glazed" as the previous owner put very few miles on the car over several years. There was also fair amount of rust in the non-contact area of the rotors, so I had the rotors resurfaced and the brake noise (grind/squeal) went away - smooth as silk now.

Sounds like you are driving regularly, so any thin surface rotor rust building up while the car sits around (in rain?) should not be the cause. I'd bring it in and ask them to check it out, something is not right. Especially since you are under warranty if it is not a wear issue.

Kaputnik 08-07-2015 08:25 PM

Are you getting vibration, that you can feel in the pedal, when you brake? That could indicate a warped rotor(s).

Is the brake squeal constant, but disappears during braking? That suggests the wear indicators are contacting the rotors, and they need replacing. Or rather, does the squeal occur during braking? That could indicate glazed pads.

The brakes (at least on my 08 RDX) are really easy to work on. There should be no reason your trusty mechanic cannot handle it. If he finds something that should be covered under warranty, he should send you to the dealer in that case.

Replacement rotors and pads are a very subjective topic, and you will get every opinion under the sun. OEM really should be just fine, and I am still surprised about the rotor warpage issue. Unless you smoked them barreling down the Rocky Mountains and then drove through deep water!

lmacmil 08-08-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by nihar15 (Post 15517799)
My 2014 RDX FWD base has 19K miles and the brakes have started squealing. Is this the normal time when this happens?

As a retired brake engineer, I can tell you that brake squeal is one of the most difficult things to engineer out of a brake system. There are so many factors and despite having half a dozen PhDs working on it, my former company never arrived at a reliable fix that would work on every vehicle.

You have a couple choices, the easiest and cheapest of which is to live with it. Since it took 19K miles, you could try replacing the pads which is probably the least expensive fix. Your mechanics, whether at the dealer or independent, will just be guessing if they start replacing parts. They may be lucky and find a temporary fix. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the cost. Good luck.

Kaputnik 08-08-2015 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by lmacmil (Post 15518647)
As a retired brake engineer, I can tell you that brake squeal is one of the most difficult things to engineer out of a brake system. There are so many factors and despite having half a dozen PhDs working on it, my former company never arrived at a reliable fix that would work on every vehicle.

You have a couple choices, the easiest and cheapest of which is to live with it. Since it took 19K miles, you could try replacing the pads which is probably the least expensive fix. Your mechanics, whether at the dealer or independent, will just be guessing if they start replacing parts. They may be lucky and find a temporary fix. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the cost. Good luck.

When I replaced my original OEM pads, I noticed Acura updated the new pad set with additional vibration and anti-rattle clips. Overall changing pads and resurfacing rotors made a huge difference - but that was in my particular case.

I also don't know how the OP can be braking to hard on a 2014. First gen RDXs like mine are known for their undersized brakes, and braking requires an extra a bit of effort. By comparison, I nearly launched the sales guy through the windshield a few times when I test drove a 2015 last year, as I was not used to the much better braking in the newer models!

nihar15 08-08-2015 11:49 AM

Thanks for your insight. The bigger issue is shuddering when I brake at highway speeds. Depending on how hard I brake, the shuddering can happen. Would that warrant a rotor change?

Originally Posted by lmacmil (Post 15518647)

Kaputnik 08-08-2015 11:59 AM

You may indeed have a warped rotor(s). Maybe you can whine a bit at the dealership and get them to cover it under warranty! Otherwise they are not too expensive, and there are lots of aftermarket options in addition to OEM. But like I said earlier, you will get a 1000 different opinions on whether they are really any better than OEM for regular driving.

Rocket_man 08-09-2015 04:02 AM

You don't have warped rotors, but I'm sure that sells a lot of brake jobs. Your braking habits have resulted in uneven pad deposits on your rotors. Sort of the same way a gravel road gets a washboard on it. I'm sure it probably has something to do with the pad composition that Honda/Acura chooses for their pads. They usually don't put anti-squeal on the pads either.

Before you go replacing the pads and rotors, try a brake bed-in procedure. But be warned, more is not better. You can over do it and heat your pads/rotors too much. The basic process is a series of increasing braking action that heats up the pads and rotors and evens out the pad material on the rotors.

Stock Brake System Bed-in

They other thing to try is to remove the pads and apply anti-squeal to the back of the pads. You can get this at Autozone and DIY.

EFItech 08-10-2015 03:13 PM

Initially experienced this after 1000miles the squealing went away.

cho24 08-14-2015 08:42 PM

I just got a brand new 2016 RDX. After 5 miles out of the lot, I heard the brakes squeal. After 1k miles and after the recommended break-in period, I decided to bring it into the dealership. They mentioned there is a potential "recall" (not official) on their brakes. End of the day, they replaced my breaks as a temp fix. I'm still hearing it.

So question for you, did you recently replace your brakes at Acura?

giovane 08-18-2015 03:34 PM

It just started on my 2016 RDX. I'll wait couple of days and see if the squealing persists, then I'll take it to the dealership.

cho24 08-18-2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by giovane (Post 15528043)
It just started on my 2016 RDX. I'll wait couple of days and see if the squealing persists, then I'll take it to the dealership.

I had my brakes replaced and even after the break-in period, I still hear a squeal. Its very subtle so I'll live with it until I decide I want to drive their TL loaner again :)

Kaputnik 08-18-2015 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cho24 (Post 15528205)
I had my brakes replaced and even after the break-in period, I still hear a squeal. Its very subtle so I'll live with it until I decide I want to drive their TL loaner again :)

I wonder if it is related to new pad materials? There's a virtually identical thread in the ILX forums regarding the new 2016 models. Some folks are have had pads replaced and rotors resurfaced for the (possibly) same squealing issues.

cho24 08-18-2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kaputnik (Post 15528351)
I wonder if it is related to new pad materials? There's a virtually identical thread in the ILX forums regarding the new 2016 models. Some folks are have had pads replaced and rotors resurfaced for the (possibly) same squealing issues.

Hmm. Interesting. Dealership was telling me there is a potential recall somewhere by or at the brakes and to hang tight. Best they can do was to replace the pads.

If it continues to get annoying, I will ask them to resurface the rotors. Let me know how your issue goes.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 08-20-2015 11:31 PM

I talked to my Service Mgr. and he did some checking. The pads are the SAME as last years model. The only change was to the caliper, due to the new "hi tech" stuff that's been added.

Now, I don't know how a different caliper can cause brake squeal....so I had my pads sanded flat and to remove any debris and the rotors checked. The squeal I have is part time now, and it was most of the time before.

It's not loud...hi pitched, not obnoxious. For me, no big deal, I can't hear that decibel range!! LOL! My wife drives it most of the time.

I'll wait and see if anything comes out of the many complaints for squeal.

andysinnh 08-21-2015 10:10 AM

If the calipers are different, this could be the smoking gun, in that it could be the way the pad mounts to the caliper that is causing the squeal. Lots of pads have shims behind the pad to reduce the squealing when you do a brake job, and there are even sprays/coatings you put between the caliper and the pad to reduce it. I'd have the dealer try some of the anti-squeal compound to put behind the pads to see if that helps. Especially if the pads and rotors didn't change. The brakes on my '15 are silent (knock on wood) after 4k miles...

andy

Kaputnik 08-22-2015 12:20 AM

Apparently Acura has just acknowledged a squealing issue with the 2016 ILX front brakes, due to out-of-spec front rotors. I'm not implying that it is the same problem some are reporting here about the RDX, but apparently enough complaints got the squeaky wheel greased....

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B15080C.PDF

giovane 08-22-2015 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kaputnik (Post 15531848)
Apparently Acura has just acknowledged a squealing issue with the 2016 ILX front brakes, due to out-of-spec front rotors. I'm not implying that it is the same problem some are reporting here about the RDX, but apparently enough complaints got the squeaky wheel greased....

Sure enough ILX and RDX share the same part number for rotors.

Kaputnik 08-22-2015 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by giovane (Post 15531920)
Sure enough ILX and RDX share the same part number for rotors.

Bingo!! :thumbsup:

Now it will be curious to see if some people here have the out-of-spec production numbers on the RDX rotors.

giovane 08-22-2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kaputnik (Post 15531975)
Bingo!! :thumbsup:

Now it will be curious to see if some people here have the out-of-spec production numbers on the RDX rotors.

I bought my 2016 early June, so for sure I have non spec rotors, assembled before May 27th.

computer_man 08-22-2015 01:27 PM

I bought my 2016 RDX at the end of June. My wife drives the car more than I do. I asked her if she hears a squeal and she said that she only heard it once when she was leaving a car wash. Other than that neither of us have heard it.

giovane 08-24-2015 09:37 AM

I just sent an email to Acura Client Relations to see if they acknowledge the problem

cbptls 08-28-2015 11:22 PM

I have a squeal coming that is coming from the right rear wheel, and only occurs when braking at a certain speed. Dealer tried to diagnose the problem and of course, they could duplicate it. Definitely has to be with pads - car has been doing this since it's had 1k miles.

Jennifra 08-29-2015 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by cho24 (Post 15525096)
I just got a brand new 2016 RDX. After 5 miles out of the lot, I heard the brakes squeal. After 1k miles and after the recommended break-in period, I decided to bring it into the dealership. They mentioned there is a potential "recall" (not official) on their brakes. End of the day, they replaced my breaks as a temp fix. I'm still hearing it.

So question for you, did you recently replace your brakes at Acura?

Oh my god so i'm not alone!!! My brakes have been squealing since DAY ONE on my 2016 RDX. I took it in once, and they said they fixed it. Drove away that day with the brakes still squealing. Had to book much later due to busy schedule to go back, and hadn't really noticed it again leading up to that appt. I went in anyways and mentioned that, so they said to not worry about it.. well I was wrong, they are STILL squealing. So 4500 kms and my brakes have not stopped. It is really random when it happens, its not consistent, but it is 110% my brakes, not vehicles around me.

rosen39 08-30-2015 03:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have not had to do a brake job on my 2013 yet, but as suggested, I would check to see if there are anti-squeal shims, anti-squeal lubricant on the face of the shims, and check to see if Acura uses chamfered edge brake pads. See photos below. If they are "squared edge" pads, you could remove them and sand down the edges (using a dust mask). This always worked on older Volvo brake pads to prevent noise. Many aftermarket pad suppliers chamfer the pads to begin with. When you think about it, it's like scraping your nails against a chalkboard at a 90 degree angle.

cbptls 09-01-2015 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by giovane (Post 15532950)
I just sent an email to Acura Client Relations to see if they acknowledge the problem

Any reply back from Acura Client Relations?

giovane 09-01-2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by cbptls (Post 15540788)
Any reply back from Acura Client Relations?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...416ece4bfd.jpg

I need to go to the dealer and talk to the service department.

giovane 09-01-2015 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kaputnik (Post 15531848)

Kaputnik, where did you find those service news? Is there a way to check for any updates?

Kaputnik 09-01-2015 02:12 PM

^^There is a current thread in the ILX forums on squealing brakes in the new 2016s. One of the forum members (EE4Life) posted the link to that Service News item within the thread. Seems some members are now getting their ILXs into Acura to address the issue.

Link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i...-issue-934947/

johnrh 09-01-2015 03:48 PM

both front rotors replaced under warranty

I just took in my 2016 RDX Elite (WDP/ebony) into the dealer today because of the squealing brake issue. I have around 3,000 km on the car. I also took along the ILX info sheet attached earlier in this thread, and gave it to the service manager. I believe my RDX was built in May 2016.

The dealer (Sterne Acura in Aurora Ontario) ended up replacing both front rotors under warranty after hearing the squealing themselves, and talking to Honda Canada. I did not hear any squealing on the way home. Hopefully it stays this way!

johnrh 09-01-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by johnrh (Post 15541313)
I just took in my 2016 RDX Elite (WDP/ebony) into the dealer today because of the squealing brake issue. I have around 3,000 km on the car. I also took along the ILX info sheet attached earlier in this thread, and gave it to the service manager. I believe my RDX was built in May 2016.

The dealer (Sterne Acura in Aurora Ontario) ended up replacing both front rotors under warranty after hearing the squealing themselves, and talking to Honda Canada. I did not hear any squealing on the way home. Hopefully it stays this way!

PS - thanks Kaputnik / Giovane for the info!
PPS - thanks Rosen39 for your always detailed tips in this and other threads!

SanDiegoRootz 09-04-2015 11:26 PM

2016 Acura ILX Loaner car Squeaky Brakes

My car is a 2016 Acura ILX Premium Aspec with the Squeaky brake syndrome it is finally in the shop today after getting Acura Client Relations involved getting the rotors and pads replaced. After 5 visits regarding the same issue Acura Client Relations still did not want to offer me a discount on the Aero Kit for my car or any accessory. Here is a video I filmed on my phone today of the loaner car with 354 miles on it and the brakes squeal like crazy.

https://youtu.be/HG1UDjOGuLo

LFACURA 09-05-2015 06:49 AM

2016 RDX Brake Noise

Our 2016 RDX is suffering the same braking noise as many have mentioned. My wife who is on a mission has been to the dealer 5 times for a fix. After several attempts the noise persists. The service dept. has finally admitted to a known issue and that they have no idea how to correct it and cannot say if Acura will even address in the near future. We are so disappointed with what was to be our move to a Luxury Vehicle. With less than 5k miles we're considering our options.

johnrh 09-05-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by LFACURA (Post 15545236)
Our 2016 RDX is suffering the same braking noise as many have mentioned. My wife who is on a mission has been to the dealer 5 times for a fix. After several attempts the noise persists. The service dept. has finally admitted to a known issue and that they have no idea how to correct it and cannot say if Acura will even address in the near future. We are so disappointed with what was to be our move to a Luxury Vehicle. With less than 5k miles we're considering our options.

hi - has the dealer replaced the front rotors? my dealer did this on my 2016 rdx, and the squealing has stopped completely.

LFACURA 09-05-2015 08:42 AM

Thanks for your reply. Supposedly did the front, but now the back brakes are the "squealers". We just weren't expecting to have these issues. I thought I did a pretty good job of researching before our purchase.

giovane 09-24-2015 03:52 PM

I had my front rotors resurfaced under warranty at the dealership and so far no more squealing.

rockyboy 09-24-2015 05:18 PM

Did you get squeeking upon backing up and breaking?

Originally Posted by giovane (Post 15563308)
I had my front rotors resurfaced under warranty at the dealership and so far no more squealing.

giovane 09-24-2015 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by rockyboy (Post 15563423)
Did you get squeeking upon backing up and breaking?

Not when backing up. Just when braking on slow speed.