Should I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I go for it?

I am offered 37500 for 2013 Acura RDX Base AWD as the total drive-out price, including window tint and wheel lock. I guess it is 1500 off MSRP + ttl. Is it a good price to buy? Or I should ask for an better offer? Thank you.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM
5th Gear

And I am living in Texas~~6.25% for the tax~~
Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I think that is a pretty good deal at this time - certainly better than what I got (I got about $850 off a base when they threw in body side moldings at the last minute). Others will probably tell you that you can do better. Have you shopped around to see what other dealers want? I could be wrong but suspect that AWDs are not as popular in Texas as non-AWDs so that may be helping a bit too. My daughter in Austin now wants an RDX after driving mine. Post your dealer if you are between Houston and Dallas and I will have her try them.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
That is always a hard question to answer. You know what the MSRP is and what you are willing to pay so ultimately, its your call whether you feel its a good deal or not. I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful but just being honest. There are more than just the price out the door that comes into play here. Some people have great deal because they are repeated owners and have a rapport with the dealer, others have had great deal because the dealer they were doing business may be trying to meet a sales quota, some have more accessories thrown in but the sale price is a bit higher.

Bottom line is that its not an easy apple to apple comparison....at the end of the day, if you really want the RDX and someone across North America payed 500$ less than you, would that prevent you from owning and enjoying the RDX? Just trying to put things in perspective....
Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we pay like $40k +13% tax and our dollar is / was pretty much at parity...

Sounds like a good deal
Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're in the Dallas area, drop me a PM. I've got a few contacts I can tap for possibly a better deal....but as Dorsey said, "pretty good deal at this time". If you can wait a bit longer, you'll see better deals pop up as we move into fall. Sure, the Indiana plant is turning these things out like hot cakes but they're being lapped up pretty quick. Buying a Tech model will prove to be a better choice, as the factory is producing 70% Tech to 30% non-Tech right now.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
No its not a good price...1500 off a 38K car is no deal....walk/be patience wait until the "I got to have it now crowd" is done....let them pay 1500 below MSRP...
The following users liked this post:
DubSilk (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
When putting all the "pieces" together on what's happening with the sales of the new RDX....Yes, $1,500 off MSRP is a good deal. Many are paying MSRP, or somewhere between $500 and $1,000 off.

I never said it's the best deal one could ever get on a car. I've done this a few times.....like this is my 30th new car and 60th car since I was 16.

If a person wants/needs...the new RDX now, then that is a pretty good price. It will be many months before you might be able to get get one for $200 over invoice...or something close.

So, most of us know....if you wait...months....you might be able to save a few hundered or so. That's a personal choice. One thing I try to help anyone with when buying a new car....NEVER pay over MSRP and basically you should never have to pay MSRP. I never have. Even when I was told....Oh, that's the market value now, etc, etc. I then walk out and say thanks, but, not thanks. I've received phone calls later wanting to sell me the car.

Bottom line is this.....if you are wanting the thinnest deal you could ever get, now is not the time. If you want a fair deal in today's selling climate then $1,500 off MSRP is not too shabby. Supply and demand. And the number of dealers close to you. More dealers usually helps you "work a deal" to your favor. Problem with Acura's....not all that many dealers.

When I was buying Mustang GT's, Cobra Mustangs, and the like.....there were Ford dealers everywhere in So. California. My deals were always right at invoice...give or take a little. If one didn't want to meet my price, I'd drive down the road to another dealer, etc. It was real easy. And, there, they have seperate "fleet dept's" that also sold to individuals, and they operated somewhat seperately from the rest of the sales dept. They could set their own prices. That was real easy. 30 minutes and I was done and driving away. Many factors go in to what a person ends up paying for a new car.

Get my next new one tomorrow. Looking forward to this one. More so than many of the past few. I paid $1,450 below MSRP for an AWD, Tech model. And I was lucky to get that. I had connections to the owner. But, I had decided I was not going to pay more than that, period. Or no buy!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
When putting all the "pieces" together on what's happening with the sales of the new RDX....Yes, $1,500 off MSRP is a good deal. Many are paying MSRP, or somewhere between $500 and $1,000 off.

I never said it's the best deal one could ever get on a car. I've done this a few times.....like this is my 30th new car and 60th car since I was 16.

If a person wants/needs...the new RDX now, then that is a pretty good price. It will be many months before you might be able to get get one for $200 over invoice...or something close.

So, most of us know....if you wait...months....you might be able to save a few hundered or so. That's a personal choice. One thing I try to help anyone with when buying a new car....NEVER pay over MSRP and basically you should never have to pay MSRP. I never have. Even when I was told....Oh, that's the market value now, etc, etc. I then walk out and say thanks, but, not thanks. I've received phone calls later wanting to sell me the car.

Bottom line is this.....if you are wanting the thinnest deal you could ever get, now is not the time. If you want a fair deal in today's selling climate then $1,500 off MSRP is not too shabby. Supply and demand. And the number of dealers close to you. More dealers usually helps you "work a deal" to your favor. Problem with Acura's....not all that many dealers.

When I was buying Mustang GT's, Cobra Mustangs, and the like.....there were Ford dealers everywhere in So. California. My deals were always right at invoice...give or take a little. If one didn't want to meet my price, I'd drive down the road to another dealer, etc. It was real easy. And, there, they have seperate "fleet dept's" that also sold to individuals, and they operated somewhat seperately from the rest of the sales dept. They could set their own prices. That was real easy. 30 minutes and I was done and driving away. Many factors go in to what a person ends up paying for a new car.

Get my next new one tomorrow. Looking forward to this one. More so than many of the past few. I paid $1,450 below MSRP for an AWD, Tech model. And I was lucky to get that. I had connections to the owner. But, I had decided I was not going to pay more than that, period. Or no buy!!
You are going to be thrilled with this car....It has exceeded every expectation I had. It has the best handling/ride balance of ANY SUV I test drove and fantastic pick up (especially for an SUV)...and I drove them ALL!

Best of luck with your new RDX....this will be one for the books, trust me!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Hey..madrye28 ...... Thanks for the info. I admit I haven't driven any of the competitors. I just went on my gut feeling...knowing it's a Honda Corp. product....read everything prior....looked, drove and then said...Yes!! I think this will be a great choice.

And from what I've read here from current owners, I don't think I will be sorry for not driving any competitors.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
When buying the RDX, the salesmen mentioned that because this is a relatively new car, there aren't many rebates/discounts that they'd normally just give to us. We only got it $500 off MSRP.

We bought a MDX from the same salesmen and he upgraded us to the entertainment package for free, so we pay the price of a tech package '12 MDX. I trust the guy and we text him whenever we have issues with either car and he responds quickly and makes sure we're satisfied.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Cruisin'

^ wait you bought an mdx tech with res for the msrp of a tech? not sure this would be a guy i would trust to be giving you the best prices...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Racer

Is $45k OTD not a good deal or something? Please enlighten me on how much you paid for your MDX and share with this member asking for help how you managed to negotiate such a great deal on your car.

Last edited by Domm; 06-23-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

ahh, 45k otd, you did not pay tech msrp...you got a fine price my friend, good for you, i assumed you paid tech msrp for tech and res (before taxes)..which would not be a good price.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Racer

Yeah, I see how my wording would've confused people. I meant to say MSRP tech OTD. Before taxes would've been a horrible deal. The salesman I talked to is a good guy, but he is still a salesman first, friend second.

Last edited by Domm; 06-23-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 AM
5th Gear

I got my 2012 RDX AWD last Sat.~~It is a really nice car~~I really love it~~

Thanks for everyone who tried to offer me some opinions here~~I just want to share my experience here~~ and hopefully it is helpful for people who are interested in this car~~

First~~this was not the car I planned to buy in the beginning~~I was going after VW Tiguan first. And I just went to a Acura dealership in Austin to test drive a 2013 RDX for fun and got impressed by the car.

About 3 weeks ago~~I went to dealerships for VW and Acura in Houston to test drive both cars, and then I made my decision to go after 2013 RDX AWD as my primiry choice~ I was offered 37800 as total drive out price for 2013 RDX Base AWD when I test drove in Houston~~I should have tried to work the price down when they offered me the deal if I knew I would pay 37500 for the car. It might have saved me some time and efforts later. I walked out the dealership because I thought I could get the car at the MSRP as the total drive out price. This was because I helped some friends to get their new cars at the MSRPs as the total drive out prices before. I thought I could do the same thing for myself. And I was wrong.~~~

Then~~I followed some websites that teach how to get the price quote and do the price negotiation through email~~I also checked the inventories of all the Acura dealerships in Austin, Dallas, and Houston. I found out that there were only 7~8 2013 RDX Base AWD in 3 cities. Three of them were sold within two weeks, including the one I test drove in Houston, and there is another one which is much more expensive because it comes with some expensive add-ons. In addition, I found it was really hard to get replies or answers from some dealerships. I even felt I was ignored by one of the dealership (Gxxdson, Dallas) since I needed to send them multiple emails to get their replies.

Suddenly, there were only 3 dealerships which still had 2013 RDX Base AWD available. I just sent emails to all 3 of them to see if they could beat 37800. Just few hours later, I got a phone call from one of the dealership, and they offered me 37700, and I ask them for 37500. They told me they could sell me the car at 37500 if I put the deposit for it. At that point of time, I knew I got the deal but felt bad for not asking for even lower price. I tried to have them throw in some accessaries, such as floor mat, cargo mat, and etc for free, but they refused. I told them that I would call them back within an hour if I want the deal. I never called back, but I got their "missed call" (I intentionally didn't answer the call). But I was pretty sure that I got that deal from them. After that, I called the other two dealerships right away. For Gxxdson, they refused to connect me to the rep because he was with someone else. And I never got any replies from them again. I am very suprised how they treat a potential buyer, like me. For the other (Gxxlman, Houston), I talked to their sale manager ask him whether he could beat the price, and he refused to offer me any actual price but told me that he would offer me a good deal if I go their place. I bought into his crap~~I went there last Fri.. The guy was not there, but the rep whom I had contact with was really happy to see me show up there. She offered me her original offer (384xx) instead of beating 37500. I asked her to beat 37500 and I saw the sudden expression change on her face. She asked me whether I bought the car if she could match the price ( but she was not certain about it). I refused, asked her to beat the price, and told her I would go somewhere to buy the car if she could not make a better offer (I tried to push for the last bit, but I would buy from them even if they could match the price since Houston is closer to where I live). Their manager, not the one I talked though phone, came out and asked for the doc. I told them I got my insurance ready and was ready to pay for car if they could beat the price. But he actually asked for the proof of the offer of 37500. WTF?? A proof for a verbal agreement~~~ Then, I gueesed he thought I would buy the car from them since I was there already, and he refused to even match the price. I stood up, said "Thank you", and walked out the dealership. What a waste of my time and gas money to go there~~I was too naive to believe them for giving me a better price.

I called the dealership offering me 37500 right after I left Gxxlman, but I still tried to work on the deal for a little bit. Since they knew they got me, they were pretty firm on the deal. I tried to have them throw in some accessaries, such as floor mat, cargo mat, and etc for free again, and they refused. Later, I found out there were more than 100 mile on the car already, and I used it to get a discount on the All weater flor mat. So I got the mat for $50 although I really think they should have given me this for free. So the total became 37550 for the car + floor mat + tint + wheel lock. It is not the best deal out there, but this is the best I can get. Since I decided to go for it, I put $500 as the deposit to secure the deal.

Then I went there on the next day (last Sat.). It took me 3~4 hrs to get everything done in the dealership. I needed to wait for them to clean up the car before I did my last test drive. The rep showed me basic operations and functions of the car. Then I called the insurance company to initiate the policy, which I have already set up before I went there, for the car. It took them a while to process the paper works, go though warrenties, and try to sell me some additional warrenties. I refused most of them but paid extra $549 for the mantenance for the first 4yr/48000 miles (Originally, it was $ 561, and I asked for a discount on that and got it at 549. I tried to get it for 500, but they refused~~ haha). I think it is a good deal since i would like to have the mantenance at the dealerships for my car. And, it can be used at all Honda/Acura dealership in US. Although there were some waitings here and there, The entire process were smooth. But I never forget to keep pushing the rep for free stuffs. After several attempts, I finally got a free coffee cup from the sale manager~~ haha~~

Sorry for this long and wordy story~~~I just feel really happy to get the car and want to share my experience with others~~~~~~~
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
iamcute - Thanks for the followup. It is interesting and you did fine given the newness of the model (BTW - You do mean 2013 in the first sentence don't you). Like I said, my daughter in Austin will soon be in the same situation so your experience helps. Enjoy your car - I think it is a great choice for you. If there are still options that you want you might consider buying them from one of the online OEM dealers that are mentioned in some threads to save a few bucks. You could install the cargo mat and cargo cover yourself.

Last edited by Dorsey; 06-25-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dorsey
iamcute - Thanks for the followup. It is interesting and you did fine given the newness of the model (BTW - You do mean 2013 in the first sentence don't you). Like I said, my daughter in Austin will soon be in the same situation so your experience helps. Enjoy your car - I think it is a great choice for you. If there are still options that you want you might consider buying them from one of the online OEM dealers that are mentioned in some threads to save a few bucks. You could install the cargo mat and cargo cover yourself.
Yes~Mine is 2013 RDX Base AWD~~~you caught my typo there~~~haha
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
$500.00 maint plan first 4/48K oil and dif changes...Enjoy your new car...oops forgot wiper blades