Sedan to compact crossover

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Sedan to compact crossover

In the future I am thinking about making this change. I drive tlx and think I may get rdx in the future. Has anyone moved from driving a sedan to a compact crossover?

What are the pros and cons.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by BC01191980
In the future I am thinking about making this change. I drive tlx and think I may get rdx in the future. Has anyone moved from driving a sedan to a compact crossover?

No, nobody here owned a sedan before buying the RDX.

Now that we have that out of the way...

You gain:

Visibility
Space
Poor weather drivability (unless you're coming from AWD)
More ground clearance

You lose:

Gas mileage
Handling
Sedans are usually easier to park
Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I recall driving a family members jeep Cherokee and always felt like I was going to tip over.

This was in 2000 or so and would imagine it's better now.

I guess I would have to test drive them in a few years and keep handling in mind.

Thanks for the tips

Originally Posted by ceb
No, nobody here owned a sedan before buying the RDX.

Now that we have that out of the way...

You gain:

Visibility
Space
Poor weather drivability (unless you're coming from AWD)
More ground clearance

You lose:

Gas mileage
Handling
Sedans are usually easier to park
Old 09-16-2015, 03:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I recall driving a family members jeep Cherokee and always felt like I was going to tip over.

This was in 2000 or so and would imagine it's better now.

I guess I would have to test drive them in a few years and keep handling in mind.

Thanks for the tips
Handling is very car like - just not sports car like. Think about your last mid-size rental (Malibu, Fusion etc) vs your current TLX.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,199 Posts
I usually drive a vehicle that supports my lifestyle. I drove sedans and coupes for years; but, recently made the transition to CUV/SUVs. When the kids were younger (and smaller); the sedan was good enough for shorter vacations, weekend Costco/grocery or other errands, and weekday commuting. As the kids got older and bigger; our lifestyle started to move more towards skiing, longer/further vacations, sports activity, more school participation, and biking. The TSX wasn't cutting it no-more or any other sedan of any size.

In the last 12 months I've been to LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, El Paso, Houston, and Jacksonville, FL, most for sports related travel (Track&Field mostly with a vacation or two sprinkled on top). You might not get the full benefit or appreciate the advantages of having a CUV if your lifestyle is more sedan related.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
The advantages of a crossover far outweigh any disadvantages vs a sedan:

-You pay a similar price but you get much more car
-You are more likely to survive in a car collision due to more mass alone
-Way better road visibility. You can see farther and wider
-You can carry more stuff
-The cabin is more spacious and comfortable
-Higher ground clearance, easier to avoid road hazards and road kill
-Bigger tires, better on rough terrain and smoother driving on regular roads
-Wayyyy easier to drive in the winter, especially with all wheel drive and 6 cylinder power. Countless times during winter storms going up hill in a crossover, I drove by sedans that got stuck
-Easier to get in and out of the vehicle since the seats aren't low like in a sedan
-There's a reason the first cars made by Ford (Model T) were similar to crossovers in stature
-Bigger headlights and tail lights
-Crossovers, when designed right, look more elegant vs their sedan counterparts.
-Many more things but those are just off the top of my head

Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy

-Wayyyy easier to drive in the winter, especially with all wheel drive and 6 cylinder power. Countless times during winter storms going up hill in a crossover, I drove by sedans that got stuck
-Easier to get in and out of the vehicle since the seats aren't low like in a sedan
-There's a reason the first cars made by Ford (Model T) were similar to crossovers in stature
-Crossovers, when designed right, look more elegant vs their sedan counterparts.
When I was driving in Dallas, there was a donut spare on the hwy I didn't see until the last second and it was too late to change lanes or swerve to avoid it because of heavy traffic. I was able to just drive right over it in my MDX. Unfortunately, the sedan behind me (that was following too close) wasn't so lucky.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

That's one of the reasons why I stick with crossovers. I would only get a smaller car as a second vehicle that's for fun (say like a c7 corvette stingray).

Originally Posted by mrgold35
When I was driving in Dallas, there was a donut spare on the hwy I didn't see until the last second and it was too late to change lanes or swerve to avoid it because of heavy traffic. I was able to just drive right over it in my MDX. Unfortunately, the sedan behind me (that was following too close) wasn't so lucky.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:13 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

REALLY? How do you figure that?
Uhhh, let's compare apples to apples, shall we. The 2016 RDX weighs between 3700 and 3900lbs depending on configuration. The most recent TL weighs between 3700 and 4000lbs
You can't see "farther and wider". You can see over sedans which is an advantage
Depends on the car
Compared to what? A Civic? Is it more spacious or comfortable than a S class Mercedes? The Passat has far more interior room and is just as comfortable - at a lower price.
Correct, but the higher ground clearance also comes with a higher center of gravity
While the stock tires are marginally larger (29 inches vs 27 for the average sedan), that translates into 1 inch of extra sidewall. Any increase in comfort provided by the higher sidewall is easily offset by suspension differences
Hoo, boy. Where do I start? Winter traction is a function of tires. AWD helps but there are plenty of sedans with AWD. I've seen countless SUVs sitting in a ditch because the driver "had an SUV and could go anywhere"
Depends on the two compared vehicles
You're kidding, right? At 13 you should be in what? 6th grade? Is that what they teach nowadays? Early cars were based on horse buggies. Are you saying that the RDX is a horse buggy?
Lighting is set by regulation. The size of the vehicle does not affect the required light output.
What is the sedan "counterpart" to the RDX? How can a sedan look like a SUV without being a station wagon?
Sigh. You really just don't understand, do you. See my comments in bold above.

The RDX is a fine vehicle with many good features and may be one of the better values in the category, but you really need to lay off whatever you are smoking if you're an adult, or focus your energies on school if you really are that 13 year old that everyone here suspects you are.

Last edited by ceb; 09-17-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Instructor

I am hoping in a few years fuel economy will increase in a vehicle like the rdx

I prefer Honda and Acura and will probably stay within the brand
Old 09-17-2015, 12:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I am hoping in a few years fuel economy will increase in a vehicle like the rdx

I prefer Honda and Acura and will probably stay within the brand
No reason why it wouldn't. Current regs require ever increasing mpg and the current gas prices have nothing to do with that.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

One example of a sedan counterpart to the 2016 RDX is the 2016 ILX. Look at these two cars and you will see.

The RDX outweighs most sedans.

You can see farther by virtue of your crossover being higher.

The higher ground clearance raises the center of gravity but the RDX has advanced stability features to help prevent rollover.

Originally Posted by ceb
Sigh. You really just don't understand, do you. See my comments in bold above.

The RDX is a fine vehicle with many good features and may be one of the better values in the category, but you really need to lay off whatever you are smoking if you're an adult, or focus your energies on school if you really are that 13 year old that everyone here suspects you are.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Maybe they can put 8 speed transmission in it
Old 09-17-2015, 02:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

One example of a sedan counterpart to the 2016 RDX is the 2016 ILX. Look at these two cars and you will see.

The RDX outweighs most sedans.

You can see farther by virtue of your crossover being higher.

The higher ground clearance raises the center of gravity but the RDX has advanced stability features to help prevent rollover.
What???? The ILX and the RDX? They are comparable how? That they both have 4 wheels, metal and glass?

The problem is that you make these off the wall statements that are not factual and try to pass them off as fact. The truth is, you know little about cars. That's fine. You want to pass yourself off as an expert. You're not.
The following 3 users liked this post by ceb:
hand-filer (09-17-2015), justnspace (09-17-2015), NBP04TL4ME (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
<p>CEB, butt they both look alike and come from Acura.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Must be the same &nbsp;</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 03:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
CEB, butt they both look alike and come from Acura.

Must be the same
Yeah. What was I thinking? But if they both look alike then how can one look better than the other?

Does the RDX look like a Model T? They are both based on a horse buggy so I guess they do. That would make the Model T the first Crossover - but how can you have a Crossover if you don't have cars and the corresponding SUVs?

I guess we'll have to wait for rocky to set us straight.
justnspace (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 03:15 PM

<p>rocky, we're waiting!&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

The 2016 RDX front fascia is based on the 2016 ILX. The RDX looks better because all the details need not be compressed into a small area like the ILX.

Examine the Ford Model T carefully--look at the ground clearance and tire size relative to the size of the entire vehicle. The stature is like a crossover/SUV rather than a sedan.

Originally Posted by ceb
Yeah. What was I thinking? But if they both look alike then how can one look better than the other?

Does the RDX look like a Model T? They are both based on a horse buggy so I guess they do. That would make the Model T the first Crossover - but how can you have a Crossover if you don't have cars and the corresponding SUVs?

I guess we'll have to wait for rocky to set us straight.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

The 6 speed transmission is actually smoother...

Maybe they can put 8 speed transmission in it
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The 2016 RDX front fascia is based on the 2016 ILX. The RDX looks better because all the details need not be compressed into a small area like the ILX.

Examine the Ford Model T carefully--look at the ground clearance and tire size relative to the size of the entire vehicle. The stature is like a crossover/SUV rather than a sedan.
I'm on Candid Camera, right?
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
hand-filer (09-17-2015), justnspace (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:43 PM

<p>
Originally Posted by ceb
I'm on Candid Camera, right?
</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>he also thinks his 2016 RDX is a pussy magnet&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 08:22 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace

he also thinks his 2016 RDX is a pussy magnet

The model T probably WAS a pussy magnet with its 24inch wooden wheels. But wait, doesn't the RDX have 18 or 19 inch wheels? That would be a difference.

Maybe rocky can explain this seemingly impossible similarity,
Old 09-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
CEB=attitude
Old 09-18-2015, 10:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
What???? The ILX and the RDX? They are comparable how? That they both have 4 wheels, metal and glass.
I think he probably meant that both RDX and ILX framework are derived from body of Civic.
But price wise the RDX is closer to TLX than ILX. Therefore you get less technology in RDX versus a sedan.
The utility of crossovers is only for those who need it. For others sedans are still better to drive. Of course general crash results tend to favor SUV/ crossovers.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Instructor

I am definitely intrigued by the compact crossovers

Hopefully they will become more fuel efficient

I hope future rdx will have 8 speed transmission and also bring back superior handling all wheel drive
Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm averaging around 9.6 L / 100 km. I'm really happy with the fuel efficiency

I hope future rdx will have 8 speed transmission and also bring back superior handling all wheel drive
Old 09-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm averaging around 9.6 L / 100 km city driving. I'm really happy with the fuel efficiency

Old 09-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I'm averaging around 9.6 L / 100 km city driving. I'm really happy with the fuel efficiency
Once again you are getting called out for talking a load of . The car is rated for 19 city, 28 hwy and 22 combined. You are not getting anywhere close to 24.5 city.

Last edited by hand-filer; 09-23-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My about switching from a Sedan to a Crossover. In no particular order, my top 3 pros and cons are...

Pros:
- Off-road capability is vastly improved over a sedan, mainly because you have higher clearance. It's also easier to maneuver in curb abundant areas without worrying that you're going to scratch your cars skirt or scrape the rim.
- Being slightly elevated gets your a better view of traffic around you.
- More storage space to haul things around. The fold down rear seats in a sedan can't really compare to the cavern you get when you fold down the rear seats in a crossover.

Cons:
- Body swing is substantial when taking 'spirited' turns and going on / off highway ramps.
- Fuel mileage is typically not as good because crossovers are typically heavier.
- Curb appeal isn't as nice. Not matter how many ways you slice and dice it, a lot of people look at a crossover as a glorified minivan lol.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Your figures such as 19 city are in the archaic imperial system of miles per gallon. I was using systeme internationale (SI) units that are the global standard which is L and km. I've been getting mostly below 10 L / 100 km fuel efficiency which is incredible for a powerful V6 engine. The 2016 RDX is a truly advanced driving machine!

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Once again you are getting called out for talking a load of . The car is rated for 19 city, 28 hwy and 22 combined. You are not getting anywhere close to 24.5 city.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

You're on a Forum where 90% of the members are in the US. They don't give a fuck about SI. And you are still full of shit.

Your figures such as 19 city are in the archaic imperial system of miles per gallon. I was using systeme internationale (SI) units that are the global standard which is L and km. I've been getting mostly below 10 L / 100 km fuel efficiency which is incredible for a powerful V6 engine. The 2016 RDX is a truly advanced driving machine!
The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Flipster23 (09-24-2015), snorf (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

You hate me but I don't hate you back. I just pray for you.

You're on a Forum where 90% of the members are in the US. They don't give a fuck about SI. And you are still full of shit.
mrgold35 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't hate you and I apologize for my vulgar comment.

You hate me but I don't hate you back. I just pray for you.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Apology accepted. Go and sin no more...

I don't hate you and I apologize for my vulgar comment.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Apology accepted. Go and sin no more...
Then you really need to stop posting. Can I pray for that to happen?
Old 09-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I'm averaging around 9.6 L / 100 km city driving
. The car is rated for 19 city, 28 hwy and 22 combined. You are not getting anywhere close to 24.5 city
Your figures such as 19 city are in the archaic imperial system of miles per gallon.
Apparently you didn't see what hand-filer has done. He has used some technology ( or maybe he used his brain) to actually convert the 9.6 L/100 from the SI system to the archaic imperial system that is still used in southern North America.

Are you saying that if Acura rates the car for 19 MPG city, that it jumps to 24.5 MPG if you drive it in Canada and fill it with liters of gas and drive it on roads with speed limits posted in KpH. I drive on Canadian roads and my mileage has ranged from 8.7 to 12.4 L/100 over the 20 fillups since I purchased it. If I convert that to the archaic method it is 26.9 to 18.9 MPG. It seems to be pretty close to what Acura has advertised.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 09-25-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

If you pray things that are in accordance with God's will, your prayers hold more value. If it is according to your own will, God may answer no.

Originally Posted by ceb
Then you really need to stop posting. Can I pray for that to happen?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I saw what he did but he found it unfathomable that I was achieving 9.6 L / 100 km. I'm using 91 Octane fuel and driving around 70 km/h average. Also deliberately not gassing or breaking too hard. This is a super efficient vehicle.

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Apparently you didn't see what hand-filer has done. He has used some technology ( or maybe he used his brain) to actually convert the 9.6 L/100 from the SI system to the archaic imperial system that is still used in southern North America.

Are you saying that if Acura rates the car for 19 MPG city, that it jumps to 24.5 MPG if you drive it in Canada and fill it with liters of gas and drive it on roads with speed limits posted in KpH. I drive on Canadian roads and my mileage has ranged from 8.7 to 12.4 L/100 over the 20 fillups since I purchased it. If I convert that to the archaic method it is 26.9 to 18.9 MPG. It seems to be pretty close to what Acura has advertised.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

If you pray things that are in accordance with God's will, your prayers hold more value. If it is according to your own will, God may answer no.
Great. Then you will stop posting.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

One who is humble and listens to counsel is like one who receives a gold earing of fine gold. One who is prideful will fall for pride precedes a crash.

Originally Posted by ceb
Great. Then you will stop posting.

Quick Reply: Sedan to compact crossover