Replacing the Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Replacing the Cabin Filter

Maybe many of you don't mind paying the crazy costs of what an Acura dealer charges to replace the cabin filter, but, even though I can afford it, it is something I can do...and you can do....in less than 5 minutes and less than 1/2 the cost. It's just too easy for any one of us to do...why not?? Why pay much more to the dealer when it's not necessary for something so darn simple. NO TOOLS NEEDED! Can't get much simpler. OK...a flashlight.

Buy your filters from whomever at a discount. The Manual does not tell you how to do this simple task, yet it goes on about changing your own oil!! Go figure!!

1. Open your glove box. Look in to see the removable shelf. This shelf is in the Manual and how to remove it. It's easy!!
2. Remove the shelf. What you will see on the back wall is a "trap door."
3. Use a flashlight and remove the door.
4. You will then see the front of the air box with it's removable door. Careful on how it clips on each end. It is easy.
5. Ta Da! There is your cabin filter...pull it out, slide in the new one.
6. Reverse the "opening up" steps.

This takes less than 5 minutes, especially if you've done it one time before.

This filter is readily available on different web sites...H&A, and Bernardis are 2 I buy from.
Acura will charge a huge mark up for this at the dealer....and then way too much for labor.

It's just too simple, and very cost affective to do it yourself. Why they show how to change your oil in the Manual and not the cabin filter...I'll never know. Both save lots of money....but the filter is much quicker, and you won't get your hands dirty or have to worry about disposing of items like old oil.....drop the filter in your trash.

I know our MID will show your filter is dirty, clogged or whatever. Personally, I checked mine in past cars periodically and changed them when I saw they were dirty. They do help keep the air fresher....and especially if anyone out there has breathing issues.

IF you were to let them go for a long time...being dirty and clogged you will get a "dusting" in your vehicle, and a smell you won't like.

Hope this helps...saves someone lots of cash you can use to take the wife or girlfriend or significant other to dinner!!

Take care!!
The following 14 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
ARascal (08-20-2014), fleuger99 (02-04-2013), GRDX (07-21-2012), hawkeye62 (07-20-2012), jruane5 (08-20-2014), juice13 (07-21-2014), ossaguy (08-19-2014), pilozm (02-05-2013), robuckj (08-31-2012), smsazucar (09-01-2012), TampaJack (07-20-2012), weather (07-20-2012), wifeRDX (07-20-2012), wizardjjr (08-26-2012) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Great post and very useful information.....Thanks my friend
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thank you hawkeye62 and weather......I just felt many wouldn't like paying lots of cash to have this done at a dealer, something so simple that we all can do.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
This is great news as in previous Acuras, trying to replace this filter was akin to carving out Mount Rushmore. In the 3G TL, you have do damn-near disassemble the glovebox to get to it. There is no trap door. As a matter of fact, one of the mods some people do is cut a hole back there to access the filter so they don't have to disassemble the thing again the next time. I think they put the "door" in there in the 4G TL. Nice to see the trend continue. Thanks, Colorado Guy.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^what he said.

it's nice to see Acura got smart with this one so taking the glove box and part of the dash apart is not necessary hmm...makes me wonder about my MDX. not really time to change the cabin filter yet...i'll find out soon enough.

i'm sure pics would be nice (i'm more visual)...but the write is good
Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Colorado Guy, how often do you think this might need to be done?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
I agree with TLtrigirl....I am visual too and pics would be nice although I still greatly appreciate the step by step details. I am not likely not going to have to change mine until next spring.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by TampaJack
You know it can vary depending on where you live. If I lived in Phoenix I'd probably be changing every 2 or 3 weeks!! When they have dust storms...THEY HAVE DUST STORMS!!

But, summer time in most areas....I personally would check mine every 2 or 3 mos. Probably no longer than that. I like keeping mine fresh as possible. When I order these filters, it's usually 2 or 3 at at time. Winter months normally you can go longer between changes.

Again, I know our MID will send us a message that it's time to change....but, I don't know how the system works. Based on miles, hours, clogging....??? I don't know.

It's just too easy to physically check it on our own and change as needed. When the MID goes off to change...then just re-set it.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by weather
I agree with TLtrigirl....I am visual too and pics would be nice although I still greatly appreciate the step by step details. I am not likely not going to have to change mine until next spring.
For both you guys....sorry, but, I'm not that great at taking pictures and posting to these sights. But, honestly.....if you take a flashlight, open your glove box....look in to see the shelf....follow the Manual on taking it out ( easy )...then you will see the little door. Remove it...simple....and there you will see the front of the air box. Unlatch on each side, and there it is. It's really that easy. For virtually anyone. A lawyer could do it, and that's saying something!! LMAO!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
For the replacement of the dust and pollen filter (also to replace air cleaner element and inspect drive belt) the Maintenance Minder will add a numeric sub-symbol '2' every 30,000 miles (48,000 km). The sub symbols are accumulated between oil change intervals and you will not be alerted on your dashboard until the next time the remaining service life of your engine oil reaches 15%.

Since you could do a vehicle service and reset the MM just before each 30,000 miles (48,000 km) interval when sub-symbol '2' is added and not see another alert until well after it was added the next time the engine oil reaches 15% it is better to use the following schedule since most of the second part is recommended in your owner's manual anyway.

Replace dust and pollen filter every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or every 2 years (due to the possibility of mold accumulation), whichever comes first. This should be considered the maximum amount of miles/km or time interval.

If you drive in dusty or high pollen conditions or you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

If your conditions are more extreme, you suffer from allergies, or for any other reason you might have feel free to check/change it more often. As it was pointed out by Colorado Guy the job is pretty simple and your only expense is the cost of the filter.

Last edited by GRDX; 07-21-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaJack
It will vary based upon where you live and the driving conditions. Check it yourself every 2-3 months (it seems easy to do in the 2G RDX) and if the filter looks too dirty, just swap it out yourself. If it's as easy as Colorado Guy says, don't let the dealership charge you $100+ for this.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awesome! Now question, if we change the filter ourselves, does that void the warranty if something goes wrong that might be related to changing the filter? just curious....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by happy_chrissy
This is awesome! Now question, if we change the filter ourselves, does that void the warranty if something goes wrong that might be related to changing the filter? just curious....
No that won't void your warranty. This filter is available by many after market sellers. The one for my TSX is the same as the Accord and Civic. One aftermarket filter include a deoderizer coating. They are a lot cheaper than the Acura filter too. I wouldn't be surprized if this filter is the same size accross the Acura and Honda brand.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by happy_chrissy
Absolutely, positively....you will not void your warranty. There are a myriad of things you can do to your own vehicle and not void warranties. Just keep receipts...dates, etc, when you change you own oil. The manual tells/shows you how to change your own oil, for instance.

Changing your cabin filter is a walk in the park compared to doing that. And, I used to do all my own oil changes on my new cars. No longer. Time to pay someone else to do it. Getting too lazy for that. I used to put in my own new lowering springs in my Mustangs....but, age...a little bit...has caught up with me. I have more fun watching someone else do it and watching over him while he does it! Making sure it's done right!!

There really is nothing you can "mess up" by changing that filter. Well, I guess that's not TOTALLY true....could you get reckless and break some plastic when taking the shelf out or opening the air box door?? Hmmm....I guess there is someone in this world that could do that!! LOL!!

Have fun and do it yourself. Follow the steps....and when you see how easy it is, and cost affective you will feel great!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice find, very helpful instruction, will need it for future.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info, Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

any one tried the replacement filters from filterheads.com? I've seen their youtube instructions video posted here and there, and was wondering about the quality?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I use Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filter for about $18-$20 (same model number for my TSX and RDX). I usually replace before every spring because it can get really windy, dusty, dirty, and lots of pollen starting in spring in the ABQ. Waiting 30,000 miles seems a little long in the southwest (I usually put 12,000-14,000 miles per year on each vehicle).

I like these filters because it has baking soda and carbon filter to trap road dust/pollen and deodorize at the same time. I purchase from Wal-Mart or Amazon.com.

I went to the FRAM fresh Breeze website and they haven't updated for 2013 models yet:

http://framfreshbreeze.com/
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

cool...thx
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
^^what he said.

it's nice to see Acura got smart with this one so taking the glove box and part of the dash apart is not necessary hmm...makes me wonder about my MDX. not really time to change the cabin filter yet...i'll find out soon enough.

TLtrigirl. The 09 MDX cabin filter change is VERY easy as I did it myself when I had my 09 MDX. I threw out the instructions I found online as I sold the car last year in December. Again it is extremely easy to DIY.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Here is a video on how to change the MDX cabin filter. Super easy.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20..._cabin/replace
The following users liked this post:
BlackDogRDX (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I happened to check my dealer's website. They want $130 to do this and currently have a special for $100. MSRP for the filter is $30. So basically you're looking at paying $100 in labor for something that probably takes a trained tech a maximum of 3 minutes.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
I happened to check my dealer's website. They want $130 to do this and currently have a special for $100. MSRP for the filter is $30. So basically you're looking at paying $100 in labor for something that probably takes a trained tech a maximum of 3 minutes.
OUCH! I was trying to re-furb our aunt's 2005 Buick Century by cleaning and replacing filters, etc. The cabin air filter required removing the cowling beneath the windshield wipers by removing those plastic 'push pins'! Good luck with handling those after 6 years in the Texas sun...brittle, to say the least. Of course, there were gaskets involved--also well weathered. The process took me well over an hour. The engine air filter looked easier, but taking it out was a WHOLE lot easier than putting the new one in!

The RDX sounds elegant by comparison . I wouldn't even attempt such projects on our Volvos. Glad we have the 'Safe & Secure' plan that covers all maintenance for 4 years.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I thought I should do an update to this thread that I started. Just changed my cabin filter today. Took me.....oh....about 45 sec. to a minute. As I had written earlier this is a very easy task and saves tons of money.

Bought the filter...couple of them....from Bernardis. Just over $20 each. Found out this:
The same filter fits TSX's, Gen 1 RDX's, and the ILX. There are 2 different part #'s in use, but, they both fit all the above vehicles.
80292-SWA-AO1...AND....80292-SDA-AO1
Bernardi's told me they don't have their "fitment information" exactly up to date. I called since I got a different part # than what I had ordered. He said they both are the same fit. And, it was.

The "removable tray" that's in the glove box pulls straight out. Then reach up to the "half moon" shaped edges on the trap door and pull down to "unlock." There are tabs along the bottom edge that are angled. Just lift the door out. Then you will be looking at the "front door" to the filter. Release the tabs on each side, and the door comes off and now you are staring at the filter. Slide it out, slide in the new one...reverse the 2 doors and install and then shelf. Again, it took a minute or less.

Sure beats what the dealer would charge....big time. They kill you on the cost of their filter....and then the "labor" to put it in. They make a BIG profit on this little job.

The filter was in since new...which works out to about 7 mos. It was fairly dirty. Needed changed. Probably should have done it at the 5 or 6 mo. point.
RDXinNETX (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CO AF Guy Ret'd. thx much for this tip as I will add several of the filters to my Bernardi order.

Also appreciate the *how to* re. replacing it but sorta what I have come to expect from a fella w/ the thx. count you show.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
CO AF Guy Ret'd. thx much for this tip as I will add several of the filters to my Bernardi order.

Also appreciate the *how to* re. replacing it but sorta what I have come to expect from a fella w/ the thx. count you show.
Thank you. I feel like this site is for us to be able to help one another....IF we have the correct info. I'm not always 100% right on, but, close most of the time. I like it when we can share and help. Some of us have lots of "auto" experience....some don't have much at all.
What I don't like is when some people act like jerks because they don't agree or think their idea is THE right one...etc. That's not why we are here....well, at least most of us. One upsmanship is not why I'm here. I now have 2 new Acuras and I try and read most all posts to see if I can learn anything about my particular vehicles. I'm a car guy from way back, so not much on here is beyond my ability to figure out.

I've owned many Hondas and did my own cabin filter changes on them. They were easy. I went to look for the RDX filter box and had to "search" a little. I knew where it should be...but, it was a little different than the Hondas. I wasn't about to have the Acura dealer charge me their prices.

Notice how they explain in the Owner's Manual how to change your own oil, but, tell you to see your dealer when it comes to the cabin filter!! It's easier and much quicker to change the cabin filter.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
...comforting that its so easy to change. The last car i attempted this on was my 2006 Mini Cooper last year. I basically had to lay vertically, with feet sticking out the sunroof to remove the thing that is behind the glove...
Old 08-19-2014, 04:02 PM
3rd Gear

There are pictures showing the process for an MDX here. I guess this is very similar to the RDX air filter replacement...

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-...anyone-do.html