Replaced timing belt on my 2015 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced timing belt on my 2015 RDX

The overall job was pretty straight forward, replaced the belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner. I have done many a timing belt over the years, Toyota, VW, Audi and now I can add Honda to that list. It did require a special tool, Honda crank pulley tool. The only problem i had was how to loosen the 14mm crank bolt. OMG, I can only estimate the breakaway torque value to be about 1200 lb ft. I had to use a 8’ extension on my 3/4” socket and i was standing on the bar bouncing up and down, I had to get my neighbor to help. When that bolt started to move it made a CRACK sound that made my dog starts barking in the house, my wife came out in the garage to ask what is going on. It did not come loose with one small motion, we had to rotate the bolt about 45 degrees to come loose. The crank pulley bolt uses a special washer that is about 10 mm thick by 50 mm in diameter, that must create some special preload compression that keeps everything tight. I used the Aisin OEM kit that set me back ~ $220, so it saved me about $1000 over what the dealer charges. I also changed the plugs at the same time. I remember when spark plugs were .79 cents each 😂.
The following users liked this post:
Clickit02 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:26 AM
DCS
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by firstRDX
The overall job was pretty straight forward, replaced the belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner. I have done many a timing belt over the years, Toyota, VW, Audi and now I can add Honda to that list. It did require a special tool, Honda crank pulley tool. The only problem i had was how to loosen the 14mm crank bolt. OMG, I can only estimate the breakaway torque value to be about 1200 lb ft. I had to use a 8’ extension on my 3/4” socket and i was standing on the bar bouncing up and down, I had to get my neighbor to help. When that bolt started to move it made a CRACK sound that made my dog starts barking in the house, my wife came out in the garage to ask what is going on. It did not come loose with one small motion, we had to rotate the bolt about 45 degrees to come loose. The crank pulley bolt uses a special washer that is about 10 mm thick by 50 mm in diameter, that must create some special preload compression that keeps everything tight. I used the Aisin OEM kit that set me back ~ $220, so it saved me about $1000 over what the dealer charges. I also changed the plugs at the same time. I remember when spark plugs were .79 cents each 😂.
The Honda/Acura crank bolt is the most difficult bolt to loosen I've ever come across. I have the most powerful Milwaukee 1/2 impact and the Lisle thick wall socket and I still couldn't loosen this bolt. After breaking a couple of 1/2 inch breaker bars and permanently twisting several 1/2 inch extensions I had to purchase a 3/4" breaker bar, extensions and socket and about 6 ft of pipe for added leverage to finally break the bolt free and like you mentioned it made a crack sound like I've never heard before. This bolt should not be underestimated, it can be a beast to break loose and you have to be prepared with the right tools.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by firstRDX
The crank pulley bolt uses a special washer that is about 10 mm thick by 50 mm in diameter, that must create some special preload compression that keeps everything tight. I used the Aisin OEM kit that set me back ~ $220, so it saved me about $1000 over what the dealer charges.
It can certainly make for a 'challenging' day!
It's the same crank washer bolt (16X49) used on a diverse selection of Acura / Honda models including my two 03 CL-S'.
90017-RJA-003 Genuine Acura Washer Bolt (16X49) (acurapartswarehouse.com)
90017-RJA-003 - Genuine Honda Bolt-Washer (16X49) (hondapartsnow.com)
Check the 'vehicle fitment' tab on both links to get an idea.
Aisin TB kit is the way to go to beat the stealership $$$ for the same parts.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Last October I also change the TB on my 2015 RDX but had no issue removing the crank pulley bolt because I had foreseen the issue and gave myself a gift of Milwaukee 2767-20 impact gun with a 1400 ft./lbs. nut busting torque. It loosened the crank bolt in less than 1 second. Happy with the quick victory then I fell victim of my own success when I installed the new WP. Didn't pay attention that the old pin may still remain there. So I ended up ruining the new Aisin WP and had to order a new one. Also to be on the sure side and afraid of making another stupid mistake I brought in a mobile mechanic who helped me in less then 3 hours to assemble everything. It cost me an extra $450 (part +labor) but overall I still was better off than taking it to a shop or dealership. I am glad that I brought in that mechanic guy because he also changed the thermostat for me. I was glad to give him $300 for 3 hour labor because it was good help for him and his family with few kids. Overall, I don't think changing TB on a Acura is that hard compared to VW or Audi or any German car.