RDX vs Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014 | 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

RDX vs Highlander?

I know the MDX is probably in the same category as the Highlander but the MDX is out of my price range.

We currently have a 1 year old and it is possible that we will have a second kid in the next couple of years. I test drove the RDX and loved it but thinking if we should get the Highlander instead as we would have more room if we have a second kid.

Did anyone on this forum cross shop a 2014 highlander? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014 | 10:33 AM
mrgold35

A 2010-2012 MDX base/tech or Honda Pilot would be similar in size/utility to the Highlander IF space is going to be an issue down the road. My 08 RDX isn't that much smaller compared to the +13 RDX. Family of 3 and 4 folks in a pinch seems to be about the right size for my RDX. My MDX can do 4 very comfortably and 5 or 6 in a pinch with enough space for gear in the rear.

My sister-in-law purchased a new Highlander for more $$$ as my used 2011 MDX Adv/Ent with 28,000 miles. What she gained in space, she missed out on ride, comfort, luxury, tech, entertainment, handling, and safety. She did not realize what she was missing until she took a trip to Phoenix in our MDX a few weeks ago (smoother ride, A/C seats, power, Navi, drives like a smaller vehicle).
Old 04-24-2014 | 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My sister-in-law purchased a new Highlander for more $$$ as my used 2011 MDX Adv/Ent with 28,000 miles. What she gained in space, she missed out on ride, comfort, luxury, tech, entertainment, handling, and safety. She did not realize what she was missing until she took a trip to Phoenix in our MDX a few weeks ago (smoother ride, A/C seats, power, Navi, drives like a smaller vehicle).
I drove the 2013 Highlander in the top-level trim ("Limited" I think) and I seem to recall that it had all of the bells and whistles. It's redesigned for the 2014 model year but I expect that it is largely the same as the '13 (except a few inches longer and an inch or so wider). Performance (with the 6 cyl) and ride seemed fine to me. I liked that you could open the back (hatch) window without opening the hatch which might be handy for carrying long items, and quicker if you just need to load a bag of groceries.

Nonetheless, I decided not to give it further consideration inasmuch as I have no need for a third row of seats.
Old 04-24-2014 | 03:59 PM
Instructor

Considered a 2011/12 Highlander before buying our 13'RDX in Nov'12.

I've got two kids a 3.5yr old and a 1 yr old and to me my 13'RDX is the perfect fit for the past 1.5 years.
We've done a few 3-4 day roads trips carrying luggage, cooler, stroller, playyard, booster seat, toys, etc and tho everything is a tight fit, it still fits. My wife (5'0") is also able to sit between both car seats just fine.

Bottom line it is size/seating vs. luxury.
For me I took the luxury which I would enjoy more day to day vs. the once in a while situations which would require more than 5 passengers or a larger cargo area.
Old 04-24-2014 | 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I am not a Toyota guy by any means, but I do like the styling of the new Highlander. It hurts me to say it, but I actually find it much more attractive than the RDX or the MDX. Toyota is falling behind in the powertrain department, however. It seems nearly every "all new" Toyota model makes due with carryover engines. I don't know what their engineers are doing to earn a paycheck.
Old 04-24-2014 | 10:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I am not a Toyota guy by any means, but I do like the styling of the new Highlander. It hurts me to say it, but I actually find it much more attractive than the RDX or the MDX. Toyota is falling behind in the powertrain department, however. It seems nearly every "all new" Toyota model makes due with carryover engines. I don't know what their engineers are doing to earn a paycheck.
The 2014 Highlander does look good from the front. I don't like the tail though.

I think Toyota/Lexus pays attention to details, which is a well known Japanese tradition. Acura, oth, doesn't provide that level of details. If Acura can do better with these, I am sure the marketshare can go up.
Old 04-25-2014 | 08:02 AM
Instructor

I think the new Pilot would be a more direct comparison to the new Highlander as far as new options.

If you know you'll need the space why not consider a used MDX? I would imagine that the prices are coming down nicely since the new MDX model has been on the market.
Old 05-01-2014 | 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

We also test drove a Highlander as well but in order to get it to the same level of features, the Highlander did not make any sense from a pricing perspective (close to $40K).

If space is an issue, I would actually wait for the next generation Honda Pilot . It looks pretty slick and it's rumored to have the 9 speed transmission. They are keeping the pricing in line with the current model (EX-L around $36K including destination charge). We were able to negotiate the 2014 MDX base down to $40K so we pulled the trigger.

I am driving the 2014 RDX and it does fine for my 4 and 7 year old. If we road trip, we would have to take the MDX due to the luggage situation. Just my $.02.
Old 05-04-2014 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HotRodW
ReallY? LOL! No.. it's Honda/Acura that are falling behind in the power train dept. Toyota's carry over engines are superior to Honda with it's class action lawsuit VCM 2 V6 that fouls spark plugs, burns oil, ignition coils.. all the way up to 2013 models are listed. Toyota/Lexus don't have that problem. Toyota/Lexus use a real timing chain if you plan on keeping your vehicles long term, which saves $999+ at the 7yr or 100k mark. I would only do a 3yr lease on the VCM engines.. I would not want them long term. I got stranded in my 2011 and had many other issues with GEN 1. I figured for Generation 2 they fixed the issues.. not.

Last edited by danmangto; 05-04-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2014 | 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hrothgar02
We also test drove a Highlander as well but in order to get it to the same level of features, the Highlander did not make any sense from a pricing perspective (close to $40K).

If space is an issue, I would actually wait for the next generation Honda Pilot . It looks pretty slick and it's rumored to have the 9 speed transmission. They are keeping the pricing in line with the current model (EX-L around $36K including destination charge). We were able to negotiate the 2014 MDX base down to $40K so we pulled the trigger.

I am driving the 2014 RDX and it does fine for my 4 and 7 year old. If we road trip, we would have to take the MDX due to the luggage situation. Just my $.02.
I hope Honda fixes the VCM issues, I won't ever buy another VCM vehicle after all my issues over the years.. I gave them many chances to get it right... My VCM cars, all that had VCM related problems..
2008 Accord V6, 2007 Honda Oddy, 2011 Honda Oddy..

Sorry to say this, if space is an issue you need a minivan. It's the most practical vehicle for the size/pricing. Sienna offers all wheel drive if you need that. Ever sit in the 3rd row of a MDX or Highlander? Cramped for an adult. Where as the minivan has far more room back there. Forget about luggage.. far more luggage room with the 3rd row up in a van vs the SUV. Most won't admit it, but the van is what they need. Esp if you use the 3rd row a lot.
Old 05-04-2014 | 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hrothgar02

If you have the 3rd row up in an MDX there is almost no luggage storage.. 13 cu feet? My sports car has almost that much storage.. LOL!
Old 05-04-2014 | 09:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kareshi
The 2014 Highlander does look good from the front. I don't like the tail though.

I think Toyota/Lexus pays attention to details, which is a well known Japanese tradition. Acura, oth, doesn't provide that level of details. If Acura can do better with these, I am sure the marketshare can go up.
At least the highlander runs on all 6 cylinders and won't vibrate and make sounds at steady highway cruising, like the Acura/Honda Vibration-Cylinder-Management engine, LOL! I'm not a fan of the highlander either..