RDX problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX problem?

I am getting an RDX this coming July. Are there any problematic area I should be concerned with? I am most concerned about the cylinder deactivation feature?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
What are you concerned about? It works. On ours, the only way we can tell anything has happened is when the mileage indicator changes. It's pretty much transparent.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
What is the mileage indicator you are referring to?
Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 AM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Rear shocks.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
I'm assuming there will be an increase in mileage via on screen mileage counter/estimator/indicator

so, he's saying its so seamless you wont even know unless you're looking at on screen miles to empty/mileage counter/mileage indicator showing an INCREASE in MPG.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Rear shocks.
dude, it would be more helpful if you expounded, instead of throwing some words out!

what happened to your rear shocks???
Old 05-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97
I am most concerned about the cylinder deactivation feature?
I think Honda calls it Variable Cylinder Management. It is not a new feature for the Honda V6. I had a 2008 V6 Accord with VCM and it worked great. I think the VCM in my 16 RDX works even better.

I can understand the concern about buying a car that incorporates a new technology in a major system, but VCM is pretty well proven.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dbarnhart
I think Honda calls it Variable Cylinder Management. It is not a new feature for the Honda V6. I had a 2008 V6 Accord with VCM and it worked great. I think the VCM in my 16 RDX works even better.

I can understand the concern about buying a car that incorporates a new technology in a major system, but VCM is pretty well proven.
Thanks. I tend to keep my cars more than 5 years and I was worried about this. I'll be trading a 2008 Mazda CX9 in July.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Why not trade it in for the all new 2016 Mazda CX9? it looks pretty nice.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by richardyc
Why not trade it in for the all new 2016 Mazda CX9? it looks pretty nice.
I am looking for something a little bit smaller than the CX9. Also not too fond of turbo engines. The CX5 is one other car that I am considering though.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
There's 207 threads in here: 2G RDX Problems & Fixes - AcuraZine Community
Old 05-17-2016, 11:45 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Keep in mind that the forum reviews of problems will sometimes give a skewed picture since the actual number of reported events will be significantly lower than it may seem on the forums. People do not routinely log on to forums and say that I don't have a problem. But they will post it if they do have a problem.
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
dude, it would be more helpful if you expounded, instead of throwing some words out!

Why don't you? You've been here since 2010.

what happened to your rear shocks??? Read my signature

There's a huge thread on rear shocks.

Last edited by Joe Las Vegas; 05-17-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Lots of positive features, but you asked for problems (or I'll add problem areas/dislikes). In no specific order:

- Rear shocks clunk on bigger bumps (long term issue with the RDX).

- A couple rattles (dash and passenger door).

- Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) - I feel it all the time. I think it's very obvious - it's NOT seamless - not even close. (I must note, however, that I came from a Toyota V6 which is buttery smooth.) As to the VCM, I do not think it is proven technology. If you google Honda VCM problems or complaints (I did this some time ago) you will find that some of the VCM engines experience oil soaking spark plugs and some using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or less. There was a class action suit on excess oil consumption against Honda regarding the VCM.

- Frequent clunking noise while changing gears at low speeds (particularly when coming to a stop). Putting it in park in the garage will yield a loud clunk.

- We don't use nav. Tried it once (typed the addresses) in an area we were somewhat familiar with and it would have had us turn into a large body of water.

- I don't use any of the voice commands. We are native English speakers (from PA and VA) but have yet to have any of our commands recognized.

- If you want to store music on the hard drive you have to do it one cd at a time - no mp3 transfer, no USB transfer. It's not a legal issue as other manufacturers have allowed transfer from mp3 or USB to hard drive for a long time. Tried voice command for a song or artist and have never gotten what I asked for. (Example: say list Elton john and you're likely to be given a screen with numerous options - IIRC it was always a list of options for nav or something.)

- Wind noise. Always sounds like your window is cracked a bit, but it is not. This, however, has been a Honda/acura issue for many many years.

My opinion - if you are looking for a luxury vehicle this is not it. If you are looking for a sporty vehicle this is not it. If you are looking for a premium Honda (or upgraded Honda) that is an excellent soccer mom car this is it. For my wife's 60th birthday present, this was her vehicle of choice.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have a 2014, and it has been problem free with great gas mileage. I am buying it out and getting a 17. I would recommend it. If you want luxury, the Lexus is for you but at a price far higher than the RDX with the same features.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
Lots of positive features, but you asked for problems (or I'll add problem areas/dislikes)....

My experience on almost every point has been exactly the opposite. Coming from a Mercedes Benz E350 to the Acura RDX I was afraid I would wistfully yearn for the return of my MB. Not so.

Rattles - None (and I hate rattles)

Rear shock clunks - The E-Cass suspension is unequalled in my opinion. I could take speedbumps and chuckholes that would have my bouncing off the rook in any other vehicle. I've never found ANY other vehicle to equal an E-Class MB in that regard. I've found the RDX's bump-handling ability to be no better or no worse that any other non-MB. That's just an area where I accept the difference.

VCM - I'll say it again: I never feel when it makes the shift.

Transmission - smooth. I'm never conscious of the shifts

Nav - I LOVE the Nav. Head-and-shoulders above the nav in my E-350.

Voice Command - Flawless unless there is significant background noise

Wind Noise - I came out of a Mercedes - the gold standard in terms of quiet. Yes, my RDX is a little noisier but certainly not abnormally so (I get more road noise from the Michelin tires than I get wind noise.)

From my perspective, the RDX gives me everything the Mercedes-Benz ML350 (now called GLE350) has to offer at a $25K lower price and with better long-term reliability.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
One other thing I failed to mention and that is the radio locks up all the time. You can alternate between sources, but I frequently cannot change FM stations unless I turn off the car and restart it.

These are just my comments and others probably have different experiences. I would, however, tell you to think about how far away your dealership is in the event you would ever need warranty work. I have opted to "suck it up" for the most part because it is a one hour trip to the acura dealer for me (each way). My only trips so far have been for the wind noise and brake noise. The technician rode with me and heard the wind noise and we got in another 2016 RDX and took it for a drive and it had the same wind noise. He told me he'd worked for Honda or acura for 20 or more years and he'd never seen a Honda or acura that didn't have wind noise. On the trip for the brake squeal the brakes didn't squeal when I got to the dealership. If they can't duplicate the problem they can't deal with it.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
There's a huge thread on rear shocks.
still not helpful! lol

why not link to rear shock thread?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Pro

These are just my comments and others probably have different experiences...
You got that right.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by dirleton
It's one of the selections in the information display (I forget wha Acura calls it) in the instrument cluster. You can select different things to be displayed. I like to watch the gas mileage.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Rear shocks--didn't notice any problem on my 2016 RDX Elite.

Rattles--no dash or door rattles. Only rattles if I put a bottle of water in the cup holder or in the doors (and that's from the water bottle rattling).

VCM--It's smooth. Don't notice any change when on highway.

Clunking noise changing gears at low speeds--doesn't happen on mine.

Navigation: excellent navigation with many adjustable features.

Voice commands: I use it a lot to change the radio station. It recognizes commands very well e.g. "radio tune to 99.9 FM" etc. The key here is to press the voice button, and wait for it to prompt you to speak (2 seconds or so). If you speak before the prompt, of course it won't pick up your command.

Music: I don't really use the hard drive. I use a USB stick with music on it, which it allows you to play. I use the hard drive to store pictures and images which you can display on the big screen. The ELS music system is better than the Lexus mark levinson system. Excellent sound quality.

-Wind noise: there is some wind noise but it's quieter than some other cars.

-Luxury: If you want a luxurious vehicle that is fairly priced, this is it. Test drive it on the highway and you will see if it's okay for you.

Lots of positive features, but you asked for problems (or I'll add problem areas/dislikes). In no specific order:

- Rear shocks clunk on bigger bumps (long term issue with the RDX).

- A couple rattles (dash and passenger door).

- Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) - I feel it all the time. I think it's very obvious - it's NOT seamless - not even close. (I must note, however, that I came from a Toyota V6 which is buttery smooth.) As to the VCM, I do not think it is proven technology. If you google Honda VCM problems or complaints (I did this some time ago) you will find that some of the VCM engines experience oil soaking spark plugs and some using a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or less. There was a class action suit on excess oil consumption against Honda regarding the VCM.

- Frequent clunking noise while changing gears at low speeds (particularly when coming to a stop). Putting it in park in the garage will yield a loud clunk.

- We don't use nav. Tried it once (typed the addresses) in an area we were somewhat familiar with and it would have had us turn into a large body of water.

- I don't use any of the voice commands. We are native English speakers (from PA and VA) but have yet to have any of our commands recognized.

- If you want to store music on the hard drive you have to do it one cd at a time - no mp3 transfer, no USB transfer. It's not a legal issue as other manufacturers have allowed transfer from mp3 or USB to hard drive for a long time. Tried voice command for a song or artist and have never gotten what I asked for. (Example: say list Elton john and you're likely to be given a screen with numerous options - IIRC it was always a list of options for nav or something.)

- Wind noise. Always sounds like your window is cracked a bit, but it is not. This, however, has been a Honda/acura issue for many many years.

My opinion - if you are looking for a luxury vehicle this is not it. If you are looking for a sporty vehicle this is not it. If you are looking for a premium Honda (or upgraded Honda) that is an excellent soccer mom car this is it. For my wife's 60th birthday present, this was her vehicle of choice.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:42 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Wow Rockyboy, where have you been....? We missed ya.
Probably not the perfect person to elaborate on RDX Elite's faults.
On the other hand if you want a lecture on the finest aspects of RDX (Canadian Elite model) and get educated on what other uses the RDX has for you, he is the man

Last edited by Comfy; 05-18-2016 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (05-20-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Wow Rockyboy, where have you been....? We missed ya.
Probably not the perfect person to elaborate on RDX Elite's faults.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have over 6,600km on my RDX now. It had been to service fixing the parking sensor & auto wiper. They were not working right from the factory.

The GPS is not easy to use and the map is out of date. I like the AcuraLink functionalities though.

No other problem so far. I am happy with the overall ownership experience - excellent value.