RDX with Pets

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX with Pets

I'm a long time Acura owner (Integra-TSX-TL), and am looking to upgrade to an AWD vehicle that can accommodate our 60 Lb. Golden Retriever.

I test drove the RDX and the trunk space looks small compared to the MDX (obviously) and other suvs in this segment (XC60, X3).

Anyone have any pet experience with the RDX they could share?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
CAM2013 (09-16-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Plenty of room for our 21# Scottie-girl
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My 90# German shepherd does ok with it. The biggest issues have been the fairly tall jump into and out of the back (his hips are getting a little creaky), and the gap between the front seats and the back cargo area with the seats folded down. It makes for a pretty deep chasm he can throw a paw or two into if he gets up too far and loses his footing over a bump or during braking. If yours is like mine and wants to always be sniffing everything going on up front, I'd recommend either stacking things in that area or getting a hammock to hang from the front seats so (s)he has something to step on.
In terms of outright space though, there's more than enough in the back. He has to duck a little up toward the front where the back of the rear seats slope up, but nothing extreme. I'm jealous of all the space he has when I'm stuck up front for 7 hours and he's sprawled out in the back, snoring away.
CAM2013 (09-16-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
my sister n law got the Pilot for a 75lb Golden. She likes it because they have a pet package in the back and the dog can stand.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wildeklave
my sister n law got the Pilot for a 75lb Golden. She likes it because they have a pet package in the back and the dog can stand.
I was pretty surprised at the cavernous cargo area in the new Pilot when I loaded my 29er Cannondale in without touching the back of the front seats or having to articulate the front wheel to squeeze it in. Whole BUNCH of dogs could fit in there!

The sloping floor of the RDX is a bit of a pain for pups, I reckon...and that gap behind the front seats is to be reckoned with...out Scottie could drop out of sight !
Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, my wife has the Pilot and there is a ton of space- which is why we got it.

I'm looking for something slightly smaller where the dog will fit in the back without the rear seats down. I've got 2 kids and would like to have a car/suv that everyone can fit in.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by thedude1
Thanks, my wife has the Pilot and there is a ton of space- which is why we got it.

I'm looking for something slightly smaller where the dog will fit in the back without the rear seats down. I've got 2 kids and would like to have a car/suv that everyone can fit in.
Your pup would have enough room to hang in the RDX...just might have to go outside to turn around
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 50 lb. Springer Spaniel that rides in the rear (with the 2nd row seat backs upright). He seems to fit very well. I like having him contained in the rear compartment for quick trips across town. His favorite thing to do is stare at other drivers who come up behind us at stop lights, etc.
I am considering installing the cargo liner to reduce the amount of hair getting into the factory carpeting and subwoofer. Has anyone tried the liner for their furry family members?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:25 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by CAM2013
I have a 50 lb. Springer Spaniel that rides in the rear (with the 2nd row seat backs upright). He seems to fit very well. I like having him contained in the rear compartment for quick trips across town. His favorite thing to do is stare at other drivers who come up behind us at stop lights, etc.
I am considering installing the cargo liner to reduce the amount of hair getting into the factory carpeting and subwoofer. Has anyone tried the liner for their furry family members?
The cargo liner has two advantages. The first is to contain messes but the second is more important - to cover the latch mechanism where our furry friends might get a paw caught jumping in and out.
CAM2013 (09-17-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
The cargo liner has two advantages. The first is to contain messes but the second is more important - to cover the latch mechanism where our furry friends might get a paw caught jumping in and out.
Also keeps their nails from scratching up the bumper and plastic trim as they're getting in/out. Assuming you can fold down the back flap before they jump in, that is. Sometimes mine's a little too eager and just dives in as soon as the door opens.

And to the question above, it's MUCH easier to clean hair off the liner than the factory carpet. 2 minutes with a vacuum and you're done. I honestly think the cargo liner is some of the best money I've put into the car.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a 70 LB Duck Toller in my previous vehicles. Due to cancer we put her down so she never got to experience the RDX. As she got older her hips gave out so we had to carry her in and out of the car.. even in her younger years the small rear doors and lift height would have been a challenge for her. If she was still with us I would definitely invest in the trunk liner and tray and the rear-seat cover since her nails destroyed the leather in our previous vehicles..
Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
7th Gear

AXMACD....I am sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put down mine last November and it was a very hard and traumatic experience. I hate it that dogs are so great, but live for such a short time. I broke down and found another dog about 6 weeks later. It didn't replace my him, but the new one definitely helped me to have something else to think about.

As a side note, does anyone know where to find a good online deal for the Cargo Liner? Looking for one that will fit my 2nd Generation RDX. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by CAM2013
AXMACD....I am sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put down mine last November and it was a very hard and traumatic experience. I hate it that dogs are so great, but live for such a short time. I broke down and found another dog about 6 weeks later. It didn't replace my him, but the new one definitely helped me to have something else to think about.

As a side note, does anyone know where to find a good online deal for the Cargo Liner? Looking for one that will fit my 2nd Generation RDX. Thanks!
Bernardi generally has good prices and your local dealer might pricematch them (plus tax of course, but then you get it right away and can make sure it is the right one.)
CAM2013 (09-22-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the Cargo Liner advice, guys. I went with the OEM liner off ebay- $135 with free shipping. Came out of a dealership in New Jersey. It was a breeze to install and the Velcro is surprisingly strong. My pup hasn't bothered it.... yet Now I have the OEM cargo Tray on top, and it looks great. All I have to do now is regularly clean off the nose prints on the windows