RDX NAV Update Letter

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017 | 02:28 AM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

RDX NAV Update Letter

Hey folks. Today I just received in the mail a letter that my 2016 RDX NAV needs an update. They’re giving me an offer to buy it for $99 for a limited time until June 30th. After that it’ll be $149. Supposedly this will update the NAV to 2017 standards. Anyone else get this? And if so, have you purchased it?
Old 04-21-2017 | 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

It really doesn't need an update, it's just that a new version with subtle changes is available. Have purchased them for our 3G TL each year (2014 update final release) and never knew the difference other than it was the latest available.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:07 AM
mrgold35

After 11 years of using Acura Navi, they never up the prices later in the year. They usually start at $199 at the Oct/Nov fall release, $149 by the new year, and $99 mid-late spring until the new map update is available in the fall again. Acura might make minor version updates during the calendar year; but, I haven't seen any evidence of this. There are also suppose to be firmware updates with the Navi disk; but, I can't find any documentation on what systems are being updated (entertainment, bluetooth, navi, etc...). I think Acura is feeling the pain of 4G and smart-phone apps taking $$ out the bottom line.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:20 AM
Racer

Updates don't really update much. I upgraded the nav on my 2013 RDX and it still showed us plowing through cornfields on Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo. On our '17 RDX our housing development that was built about two years earlier wasn't in there. So sorry, first line of defense is my cell phone, backed up by the latest Rand McNally Road Atlas.
Old 04-21-2017 | 04:57 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Thanks for the replies. After some thought I decided to buy the update anyways. What the hell. If I didn’t then I’d constantly be thinking what am I missing? Total cost after shipping and tax for the DVD was $109.49. Hope they don’t take 6-8 weeks to send it to me!
Old 04-22-2017 | 09:32 AM
Pro

Waste of money.
Old 04-22-2017 | 11:19 AM
Touring

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Thanks for the replies. After some thought I decided to buy the update anyways. What the hell. If I didn’t then I’d constantly be thinking what am I missing? Total cost after shipping and tax for the DVD was $109.49. Hope they don’t take 6-8 weeks to send it to me!
That's about what I thought - what the hell. It comes FedEx, although it may be FedEx ground...and then today I get an email from FedEx about service disruptions due to bad weather in Memphis.......like I'm in a big hurry or something.
Old 04-22-2017 | 04:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CanTex
Updates don't really update much. I upgraded the nav on my 2013 RDX and it still showed us plowing through cornfields on Hwy. 24 between Fort Wayne and Toledo. On our '17 RDX our housing development that was built about two years earlier wasn't in there. So sorry, first line of defense is my cell phone, backed up by the latest Rand McNally Road Atlas.
Hmm...well plowing thru cornfields is fun, and if you get to the back corner, well, what you can do back there is only limited by your imagination, so, maybe I will consider shelling out for the update.

NOT.
Old 04-22-2017 | 04:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by jcross1231
That's about what I thought - what the hell. It comes FedEx, although it may be FedEx ground...and then today I get an email from FedEx about service disruptions due to bad weather in Memphis.......like I'm in a big hurry or something.
Yup. I just got an email saying it’s being shipped via FedEx. I didn’t pay extra for expedited shipping as it’s not an emergency. Lol. I suspect it’ll deliver in a couple days.
Old 04-23-2017 | 07:45 AM
mrgold35

Just make sure to have the engine running when updating the Navi. My first Navi update killed the battery on my MDX after 20 minutes when I just had the navi on and engine off.
Old 04-23-2017 | 08:16 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Just make sure to have the engine running when updating the Navi. My first Navi update killed the battery on my MDX after 20 minutes when I just had the navi on and engine off.
Wow. Very interesting. Thanks I guess. I don’t need a dead battery, that’s for sure. So, you’re saying the update takes at least 20 minutes or more? I would have figured a couple minutes at most.
Old 04-23-2017 | 09:00 PM
Pro

Yup. I just got an email saying it’s being shipped via FedEx. I didn’t pay extra for expedited shipping as it’s not an emergency. Lol. I suspect it’ll deliver in a couple days.
I received the letter last week and posted about it myself. It is amazing to me Acura has the nerve to ask for 99 bucks to update something I bought new less than a year ago. Even more so now I hear they charge you 10 bucks to ship it to you. $99 should at the very least include shipping.
Old 04-23-2017 | 10:04 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by chickdr
I received the letter last week and posted about it myself. It is amazing to me Acura has the nerve to ask for 99 bucks to update something I bought new less than a year ago. Even more so now I hear they charge you 10 bucks to ship it to you. $99 should at the very least include shipping.
I agree. But I already ordered and paid for it so live and learn. To be honest, I don’t understand why this type of upgrade can’t be an OTA download?
Old 04-24-2017 | 05:48 AM
mrgold35

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks I guess. I don’t need a dead battery, that’s for sure. So, you’re saying the update takes at least 20 minutes or more? I would have figured a couple minutes at most.
I don't know how different my 11 MDX hard-drive based update is from your RDX hard-drive system. It might have taken the +20 minutes for me because I usually wait 3 years between updates. Even after the DVD upload, the system still needs to download additional data using the XM satellite antenna and that takes around 3-4 hrs. The Navi system just pauses/resumes the download everytime you start the RDX until completed. You can eject the navi DVD update disk when the initial 20 minute update is finish.
Old 04-26-2017 | 05:48 PM
Touring

I just finished the nav update. It took 2 1/2 hours, but I had some problems that might have been unique to me. Just thought I'd post here to possibly prevent others from having the same issues.

All went well until the application update was in (Step 4 in the instruction manual). Step 5 says to enter your security code. You're supposed to press and hold the audio power button for 2-5 seconds, at which point the process is supposed to proceed without the code. If it fails at this point, which is what happened to me, you're supposed to enter your security code...except that 2016 RDX's don't have security codes...so there's nothing to enter. Every piece of paper I got from the dealer suspiciously left the "Radio Code" entry blank.

So off I go to the Acura owners' site to look up my information. One of the options there is a link to get that security code you're not supposed to have. Among other things, you need the VIN and the serial number of the radio. To get the serial number of the radio, you've got to interrogate the vehicle. However, I was in the middle of the nav update. The screen to get that serial number wasn't accessible without dumping the update. To keep from having to start over, I called the dealer. They've never seen this situation on updating before. It turns out the radios DO have a security code - it's just that it's not supposed to be required for anything. They were able to give me the code. However, I had to exit the update to get them some vehicle information.

I figured I was going to have to start the update all over again after this. That wasn't the case. On powering up, the system recognized a database update disk was in the drive after a few seconds. It asked if I wanted to proceed. On answering "yes", it said it was going to take 45 MORE minutes. That turned out to pretty much be correct, with the system asking for Disk 2 in the middle of that process. It then trundled along for a while showing completely different screens from what was in the instruction manual but finishing successfully.

Note: the instructions tell you to do this with the engine running. Uh...don't do that. It's just...stupid. I put an 8 amp charger on the battery, turned the headlights off, started up in accessory mode (one push of the start button while not depressing the brake pedal) and proceeded that way. I doubt the charger was necessary, but didn't want to risk it.

For those of you who haven't attempted this yet, it might be a good idea to go to owners.accura.com to get your registration code for the radio before proceeding, just in case. I'm hoping my experience was the exception rather than the norm for this process. If not, it wasn't thought out very well.

Last edited by jcross1231; 04-26-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2017 | 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Use Waze on your phone instead!
Old 04-27-2017 | 08:16 AM
Pro

I just finished the nav update. It took 2 1/2 hours, but I had some problems that might have been unique to me. Just thought I'd post here to possibly prevent others from having the same issues.

All went well until the application update was in (Step 4 in the instruction manual). Step 5 says to enter your security code. You're supposed to press and hold the audio power button for 2-5 seconds, at which point the process is supposed to proceed without the code. If it fails at this point, which is what happened to me, you're supposed to enter your security code...except that 2016 RDX's don't have security codes...so there's nothing to enter. Every piece of paper I got from the dealer suspiciously left the "Radio Code" entry blank.

So off I go to the Acura owners' site to look up my information. One of the options there is a link to get that security code you're not supposed to have. Among other things, you need the VIN and the serial number of the radio. To get the serial number of the radio, you've got to interrogate the vehicle. However, I was in the middle of the nav update. The screen to get that serial number wasn't accessible without dumping the update. To keep from having to start over, I called the dealer. They've never seen this situation on updating before. It turns out the radios DO have a security code - it's just that it's not supposed to be required for anything. They were able to give me the code. However, I had to exit the update to get them some vehicle information.

I figured I was going to have to start the update all over again after this. That wasn't the case. On powering up, the system recognized a database update disk was in the drive after a few seconds. It asked if I wanted to proceed. On answering "yes", it said it was going to take 45 MORE minutes. That turned out to pretty much be correct, with the system asking for Disk 2 in the middle of that process. It then trundled along for a while showing completely different screens from what was in the instruction manual but finishing successfully.

Note: the instructions tell you to do this with the engine running. Uh...don't do that. It's just...stupid. I put an 8 amp charger on the battery, turned the headlights off, started up in accessory mode (one push of the start button while not depressing the brake pedal) and proceeded that way. I doubt the charger was necessary, but didn't want to risk it.

For those of you who haven't attempted this yet, it might be a good idea to go to owners.accura.com to get your registration code for the radio before proceeding, just in case. I'm hoping my experience was the exception rather than the norm for this process. If not, it wasn't thought out very well.
Absolutely ridiculous you had to go through that for a simple update. As you said, running the engine for 2.5 hrs is also unacceptable. What I want to know is - do you notice any improvements to the system after the update? I don't plan to buy the update for my '16.
Old 04-27-2017 | 08:41 AM
Touring

Absolutely ridiculous you had to go through that for a simple update. As you said, running the engine for 2.5 hrs is also unacceptable. What I want to know is - do you notice any improvements to the system after the update? I don't plan to buy the update for my '16.
Can't really tell. I haven't even pulled it out of the garage yet. There are a few road changes that have taken place around here over the past couple of years. I'd like to see if they got picked up. I got the first update free as part of the purchase. Otherwise, I'm not sure if I'd have bothered. I use my smartphone for navigation most of the time. Seems ridiculous, but that's the way it is. It's hard to outdo Google Maps.

The system goes through the process of unpacking the data for your local area first. It then unpacks the rest of the database over a 4-5 hour period when the vehicle is powered up. There's a progress indicator in the upper left of the nav display that reads out in percent until it's done. We've got a trip up to Nowheresville, KS tomorrow. I'm curious if it'll have the data ready by the time we get there.

Also note the navigation application is updated in addition to the updated database. I'm hoping for some performance improvements but not holding my breath.
Old 04-27-2017 | 12:52 PM
Touring

A footnote on the installation of NAV disk software:

The RDX entirely lost track of the Bluetooth devices. No phones paired. The phone remembered the RDX. The RDX didn't remember any paired devices (there had been 3). Phone entries gone. Favorites gone. Everything. What that has to do with navigation loading escapes me. Everything else still seems to be there. Radio stations stored. Fuel computer memory still intact.

The NAV did remember the stored locations. However, when I went in to delete one, it deleted them all. It did remember "Home", though. If you think the system was slow before, wait until you try it while it's unpacking that new database. It took about 10 minutes to get one entry stored. Hopefully, it's quicker once that process is finished.

Position is grossly in error at scales larger than 1 mile. My position was at least 5 miles from where the map showed me. I assume that's due to the database unpacking thing. So the RDX is sitting in the garage with a charger on it for the 4 to 5 hours Acura states it will take for the database processing to complete. And I've found out I have to leave the FOB in the car during that time. Otherwise, the accessory mode times out after a few minutes and shuts down. Yes, the garage door is closed so the car can't easily be stolen. Don't try this in your apartment parking lots.

Acura could make this harder...but not much. I just can't see the dealers dealing with all this crap.
The following users liked this post:
Carbon2008RDX (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017 | 06:12 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

A footnote on the installation of NAV disk software:

The RDX entirely lost track of the Bluetooth devices. No phones paired. The phone remembered the RDX. The RDX didn't remember any paired devices (there had been 3). Phone entries gone. Favorites gone. Everything. What that has to do with navigation loading escapes me. Everything else still seems to be there. Radio stations stored. Fuel computer memory still intact.

The NAV did remember the stored locations. However, when I went in to delete one, it deleted them all. It did remember "Home", though. If you think the system was slow before, wait until you try it while it's unpacking that new database. It took about 10 minutes to get one entry stored. Hopefully, it's quicker once that process is finished.

Position is grossly in error at scales larger than 1 mile. My position was at least 5 miles from where the map showed me. I assume that's due to the database unpacking thing. So the RDX is sitting in the garage with a charger on it for the 4 to 5 hours Acura states it will take for the database processing to complete. And I've found out I have to leave the FOB in the car during that time. Otherwise, the accessory mode times out after a few minutes and shuts down. Yes, the garage door is closed so the car can't easily be stolen. Don't try this in your apartment parking lots.

Acura could make this harder...but not much. I just can't see the dealers dealing with all this crap.
Jcross1231, Thank you for all the info! I’ve got the upgrade DVD sitting here and after reading about all the headaches I’m really hesitant to even attempt it! The thing that really annoys me is how one is supposed to let the car run and just idle for an hour or more or the battery may die? And then up to 5 more hours running in the background to complete the update and can still kill the battery!? Come on... this is ridiculous Acura! If it ain’t broke why fix it? I gotta think it over some more now.
Old 04-28-2017 | 12:21 AM
Touring

Jcross1231, Thank you for all the info! I’ve got the upgrade DVD sitting here and after reading about all the headaches I’m really hesitant to even attempt it! The thing that really annoys me is how one is supposed to let the car run and just idle for an hour or more or the battery may die? And then up to 5 more hours running in the background to complete the update and can still kill the battery!? Come on... this is ridiculous Acura! If it ain’t broke why fix it? I gotta think it over some more now.
If you have your radio code (which you hopefully won't need), you ought to be ok. To get that, you'll need your VIN and the radio serial number. I think the serial number might be on the page that shows all the software version numbers??? Then go to the Acura owners site and enter the information to get the radio code. You can run the car in accessory mode as long as the update is going in. It will remain powered on. After that's done, accessory mode goes back to the deal where it times out after 10 or 15 minutes and shuts down. You probably do need the external battery charger. Mine was pulling around 5 amps while it was running. One of the things I'm not sure of is whether it's possible to brick the system doing this. When the process was stopped waiting for me to enter the radio code, I couldn't shut the car off using the start switch. That didn't strike me as a good sign. You wouldn't think a failed nav database update would spill over into other functions - but then, I did lose the bluetooth information, so it's apparently possible.

To be clear, that 5 hour unpacking process only runs while the vehicle is operating. Since accessory mode times out quickly, having it do the unpack using that mode isn't real practical. You'll have to just let it unpack as you're driving. It'll eventually complete. Mine is 52% done so far.

Using CDs to update isn't a real good idea. Even with two CDs, they don't have enough storage space to put the database on without compressing it. Acura should be doing what most other companies are doing now: a thumb drive large enough to store the database uncompressed. It could then be transferred directly onto the hard drive without all that screwing around. I'm hoping some of these issues get straightened out in the 2018 model.

Traffic seems to be working better with this new version. The symbology for traffic makes more sense, too. Still not as useful as Google maps.

Last edited by jcross1231; 04-28-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2017 | 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

Post Re: Navi Update

Just a FYI it takes about 40 minutes leaving the car running to install both DVDs then it will continue to install the updates over 5 hours of running time. It displays its percentage in the navi display. Also if the DVDs are interrupted at any time before they are fully installed you have to start over from the beginning. Once they install it doesn't matter how often the cars is on or off for final install.
Old 04-29-2017 | 09:29 PM
Racer

We just scheduled a pleasant drive in the country, not shutting off for at least an hour. This was about 3 years back on our '13 RDX. Scenery we didn't know was out there, all with the excuse of having to keep the car running.
Old 05-02-2017 | 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CanTex
We just scheduled a pleasant drive in the country, not shutting off for at least an hour. This was about 3 years back on our '13 RDX. Scenery we didn't know was out there, all with the excuse of having to keep the car running.
I like the way you think. I have noticed I get very relaxed driving my RDX, even in heavier traffic at 70 MPH...not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Old 05-23-2017 | 02:56 PM
Racer

This is just another area where acura is left behind in technology . Most manufacturers offer apple carplay or android auto in quite a few of their cars - the civic and accord have it, but not the RDX. In fact, it appears the only acura vehicle with apple carplay is the NSX.
Old 05-23-2017 | 04:01 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Originally Posted by snorf
This is just another area where acura is left behind in technology . Most manufacturers offer apple carplay or android auto in quite a few of their cars - the civic and accord have it, but not the RDX. In fact, it appears the only acura vehicle with apple carplay is the NSX.
The new 2018 TLX which goes on sale June 1st will also now have Apple Carplay and Android Auto. This makes me pretty confident it will also be included on the 2018 RDX.
Old 05-23-2017 | 05:26 PM
Touring

This is another area where Honda frustrates me. The higher end vehicles should get the new features before the others. I shouldn't be looking at a CR-V and seeing things more advanced than I can get in an RDX. Makes you wonder what their management is thinking...or not thinking.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyBeach (06-04-2017)
Old 05-23-2017 | 06:29 PM
Racer

This is another area where Honda frustrates me. The higher end vehicles should get the new features before the others. I shouldn't be looking at a CR-V and seeing things more advanced than I can get in an RDX. Makes you wonder what their management is thinking...or not thinking.
I don't think acura is a priority for Honda. It's almost as though they feel obligated to put something on the market in this niche. Most of Honda's newest technology is in the Honda line, but will eventually make it to acura. Sadly, think Honda is unique in that way among manufactures offering a "second" line of vehicles. .
Old 05-24-2017 | 11:14 PM
Pro

The new 2018 TLX which goes on sale June 1st will also now have Apple Carplay and Android Auto. This makes me pretty confident it will also be included on the 2018 RDX.
It will show up on the next gen RDX for '19. The '18 will likely soldier on with the 16/17's system. I can't see the economics in adding a whole new infotainment system for one model year.
Old 05-24-2017 | 11:41 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

It will show up on the next gen RDX for '19. The '18 will likely soldier on with the 16/17's system. I can't see the economics in adding a whole new infotainment system for one model year.
But consider, the 2018 TLX is not all new, just a refresh. So why wouldn’t Acura do the same for the 2018 RDX? Below is a quote from Acuranews.com:

“The 2018 TLX is the first Acura to feature a redesigned dual-screen user interface (ODMD 2.0) with more intuitive menus and command structures complemented by a new 7-inch capacitive touchscreen (previously resistive type) with a 30-percent faster response time and Android Auto™ compatibility -- putting some of your phone's most useful Apps on the TLX's display. The new TLX also supports Apple CarPlay™, a seamless way to use your iPhone in the car to get directions optimized for traffic, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music.”
Old 05-25-2017 | 07:11 AM
Pro

The difference is they already did the refresh for the current gen RDX. The TLX is getting it's refresh now.
Old 05-25-2017 | 01:38 PM
Pro

But consider, the 2018 TLX is not all new, just a refresh. So why wouldn’t Acura do the same for the 2018 RDX? Below is a quote from Acuranews.com:

“The 2018 TLX is the first Acura to feature a redesigned dual-screen user interface (ODMD 2.0) with more intuitive menus and command structures complemented by a new 7-inch capacitive touchscreen (previously resistive type) with a 30-percent faster response time and Android Auto™ compatibility -- putting some of your phone's most useful Apps on the TLX's display. The new TLX also supports Apple CarPlay™, a seamless way to use your iPhone in the car to get directions optimized for traffic, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music.”
In case you missed it on the other thread.... The '18 is identical. No updates as we have been saying. Stylish, Swift and Comfortable: The 2018 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms Tomorrow - Honda News

It will be another year until we see an "all new" RDX with the features already available on the CR-V.
Old 05-25-2017 | 06:17 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=chickdr;16025867]In case you missed it on the other thread.... The '18 is identical. No updates as we have been saying. Stylish, Swift and Comfortable: The 2018 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms Tomorrow - Honda News

It will be another year until we see an "all new" RDX with the features already available on the CR-V.[/QUOTE]

And the accord and the civic.....
Old 05-26-2017 | 07:51 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I don't think acura is a priority for Honda. It's almost as though they feel obligated to put something on the market in this niche. Most of Honda's newest technology is in the Honda line, but will eventually make it to acura. Sadly, think Honda is unique in that way among manufactures offering a "second" line of vehicles. .
Honda is not alone in this. Ford tried it with Lincoln and nearly killed the brand in the process. They are trying to move away from that culture but finding it difficult if I may say so. Our advice to Honda is not "f..." around with your supposedly luxury offerings. You may not have that luxury later on.
Old 06-02-2017 | 06:52 AM
Advanced

one reason we got a base model, didn't want the Acura nav system, still using a garmin nuvi 50 on road trips and it has free lifetime maps
Old 06-02-2017 | 07:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skidoor
I like the way you think. I have noticed I get very relaxed driving my RDX, even in heavier traffic at 70 MPH...not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Yes, very relaxed. We just completed our summer 1500 mile jaunt from DFW to the eastern GTA (Toronto). Adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist can become intoxicating. Not Matthew McConaughey comfortable but Acura comfortable. (That's a good thing, brisk handling, etc.). I got snapped back to reality often - I was driving, not the automatic stuff. The high seating, short length for darting in and out of small traffic gaps, predictable steering and handling, lots of power available, solid but a bit jumpy brakes, just a great package. The proximity sensors are very much appreciated for helping us park in a very tight underground garage parking spot and big-box store lots (Canadian parking spots seem to be smaller than south of the border).

Oh, and logical cruise control buttons, unlike the nasty stalk like in Toyotas or Lexuses (Lexi?). See my avatar to the left.

Anyway, it's actually good to know that our '17 is not obsolete (old technology discussion aside) at least for a few more months.

Last edited by CanTex; 06-02-2017 at 07:24 AM.