- Jewel Eye LED Headlights
- Rear seat A/C vents
- Power Tailgate on all models
- Advanced trim bringing all the features of the MDX advanced minus RES
- ODMD
Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
while many are disappointed that Acura did not make these improvements for 2015 it is likely that all the upgrades in the MDX, RLX, and new TLX will be part of the 2016 refresh this time next year.

The gamble that Acura made is:
- Lincoln MKC is a late summer release
- Lexus NX is a fall release
- The RDX is still better value than the base versions of the BMW X3 and Audi Q5
- The issues reported on these boards (ie. rear suspension) are small and won't drive away sales for the 2015 model year

They are gambling that the upgraded version will be released about 6 months after these cars premier (NX and MKC) and that they will not lose too many sales because a bulk of that period is the slower winter sales months. The NY Auto show will be the 1st week of April in 2015 which may be where they release the upgraded RDX.

Personally, I think they are being to conservative since many of the non luxury competitors (Cherokee, Escape, etc...) have added all the bells and whistles that new car buyers may be looking for. At the least they should have added the Jewel headlights since a buyer may not want to be stuck with a vehicle for 6-8 years with older technology. A leasee may not care since they will be out of the car in 3 years.

I just saw today that even though the Chevy Cruze is up for redesign in 2016 that the 2015 model will have LED DRLs and the safety features that the RDX does not offer. This is a car that competes with the Civic and has many more features than a premium brand. That is why I think Acura is being too conservative with adjustments.

Since the marketplace sales model has shifted where more people lease now then in the past, auto sales numbers have been increasing each year so Acura will show growth once again, even with a non-updated 2015 RDX.

Last edited by wildeklave; 04-15-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
The increased cost might take some sales from the higher profit margin of the MDX vehicles. I would love to see an Advance model RDX!

I think Acura will keep it simple for the MMC:
- update front/rear bumpers (only to separate the model years)
- improve Navi to 3D
- new colors
- HID and fogs lights standard
- LED daylight running lights (big maybe)
- improved safety features like BSI and/or FCW
- maybe a "Special Edition" model in 2017 or 2018
- correct all TSB issues

The only thing that moved me to a used MDX Adv compared to a 13-14 RDX tech was the MDX Advance package features with added safety measures.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
while many are disappointed that Acura did not make these improvements for 2015 it is likely that all the upgrades in the MDX, RLX, and new TLX will be part of the 2016 refresh this time next year.

The gamble that Acura made is:
- Lincoln MKC is a late summer release
- Lexus NX is a fall release
- The RDX is still better value than the base versions of the BMW X3 and Audi Q5
- The issues reported on these boards (ie. rear suspension) are small and won't drive away sales for the 2015 model year

They are gambling that the upgraded version will be released about 6 months after these cars premier (NX and MKC) and that they will not lose too many sales because a bulk of that period is the slower winter sales months. The NY Auto show will be the 1st week of April in 2015 which may be where they release the upgraded RDX.

Personally, I think they are being to conservative since many of the non luxury competitors (Cherokee, Escape, etc...) have added all the bells and whistles that new car buyers may be looking for. At the least they should have added the Jewel headlights since a buyer may not want to be stuck with a vehicle for 6-8 years with older technology. A leasee may not care since they will be out of the car in 3 years.

I just saw today that even though the Chevy Cruze is up for redesign in 2016 that the 2015 model will have LED DRLs and the safety features that the RDX does not offer. This is a car that competes with the Civic and has many more features than a premium brand. That is why I think Acura is being too conservative with adjustments.

Since the marketplace sales model has shifted where more people lease now then in the past, auto sales numbers have been increasing each year so Acura will show growth once again, even with a non-updated 2015 RDX.
The rear suspension issue may be small until it happens to you. My RDX drives like a 10 year old domestic economy car when going over bumps.

It is pretty bad when a Ford Escape has more tech options than an Acura.
Even the Honda Accord has more tech options than the RDX.

For a family car why no rear ac vents in the RDX? Thats pretty bad and I didnt notice till after I bought it, my fault, assuming it would have them. Even my 2 door sports coupe 2005 GTO has rear ac/heat vents that work pretty well.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The increased cost might take some sales from the higher profit margin of the MDX vehicles. I would love to see an Advance model RDX!

I think Acura will keep it simple for the MMC:
- update front/rear bumpers (only to separate the model years)
- improve Navi to 3D
- new colors
- HID and fogs lights standard
- LED daylight running lights (big maybe)
- improved safety features like BSI and/or FCW
- maybe a "Special Edition" model in 2017 or 2018
- correct all TSB issues

The only thing that moved me to a used MDX Adv compared to a 13-14 RDX tech was the MDX Advance package features with added safety measures.
I could have had the MDX advance (previous gen), for less than my RDX tech but after coming out of a 10 TL Tech SH-AWD, I did not want to do without the touch door handles and push button start. That and I preferred the size and gas mileage.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just like a nav unit that doesn't suck and some kind of DRL. Maybe BLIS.

After looking at the NX, it seems too small. The MKC looks good but I am hesitant on ford products. The 2015 Murano looks like a real winner and that interior looks at least as good as the RDX if not better.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
Just taking a wild a$$ guess. I wonder if Acura would offer a lower trim or 2nd engine option for the RDX during the MMC? The new TLX will have 8DCT+I4 available. The fwd RDX base/tech might have the same weight and a TLX. The TSX gone, the ILX way too small for families, TLX too new and expensive, and the current RDX may be a little too high in price to move folks in at the entry level. There too much of a price gap between the ILX and current RDX for folks to move up.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Just taking a wild a$$ guess. I wonder if Acura would offer a lower trim or 2nd engine option for the RDX during the MMC? The new TLX will have 8DCT+I4 available. The fwd RDX base/tech might have the same weight and a TLX. The TSX gone, the ILX way too small for families, TLX too new and expensive, and the current RDX may be a little too high in price to move folks in at the entry level. There too much of a price gap between the ILX and current RDX for folks to move up.
Acura seems to go with the philosophy of KISS (Keep it simple stupid). You see it was the packages vs. the competition where there are 2-3 trims vs 18 different packages / options. They also have not been going crazy with different engines often.

The Audi / BMW model may work but it will not be part of their KISS philosophy.
- 1st engine (220ish HP with 230 torque)
- 2nd engine (260-300 hp and torque)
- 3rd engine (performance engine that is over 300 hp and torque - BMW Ms, Audi IS, Lexus F Sport, etc...). This could be the SH AWD trim.

I would not be against a lower engine with better gas mileage at a lower price point since Acura does not offer a model smaller than the RDX (no X1 or Q3). The Accord 2.4L engine gets 185 HP and Torque. If it can be tuned up to over 200 hp and torque then it could be a good entry level engine. But they would have to enhance the v6 engine to the 290 hp and 267 torque version in the MDX.