RDX died!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
If your dealer is good, they will do it right. I have been with my dealer for 9 years now and they have NEVER tried to screw me over. Let them do their jobs and since the car has 100K powertrain warranty, any problems will show up LONG before you hit that mark...
Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dmaxv8
any updates on the repair
No updates. Car is just sitting at the dealership till the person from corp comes down. Apparently before it's all broken down the person wants to take pictures of everything and investigate. Told me it could be two weeks before they really start working on it. Imma leave them alone for now since they gave my wife a car to drive. Personally I prefer the rdx over the to they gave us, surprisingly the rdx feels quicker. It just sucks a little since i have been driving the rdx a lot on hm off days to avoid getting tickets in my esky (due to windshield being tinted and sides being too dark, metered at 4% on my last ticket)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
No updates. Car is just sitting at the dealership till the person from corp comes down. Apparently before it's all broken down the person wants to take pictures of everything and investigate. Told me it could be two weeks before they really start working on it. Imma leave them alone for now since they gave my wife a car to drive. Personally I prefer the rdx over the to they gave us, surprisingly the rdx feels quicker. It just sucks a little since i have been driving the rdx a lot on hm off days to avoid getting tickets in my esky (due to windshield being tinted and sides being too dark, metered at 4% on my last ticket)
How is there rdx diff from your rdx?
Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Well even with 90 days seem it will be 3+ weeks before they even start, eating into the lemon law clock. Have you started talking to Acura yet? Also locate Honda's corporate office number in CA and keep calling there. If they resist, start using the power of social media, every little bit helps your case.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Acura can design cars yet they can't figure out a way to send photos of the engine to someone to review instead of sending someone to look at the engine in person? Or do they not trust their own certified trained mechanics to diagnose the problem?
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kareshi
I think OP has a TL loaner.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
Acura can design cars yet they can't figure out a way to send photos of the engine to someone to review instead of sending someone to look at the engine in person? Or do they not trust their own certified trained mechanics to diagnose the problem?
This is probably done for legal reasons. Failure analysis requires proper documentation for any possible litigation. Missing something could easily cost them a legal dispute.

Also, they may not trust their mechanics have the proper skills for documenting the failure analysis to determine the correct root cause. Diagnosing that something is broken is not the same as figuring out why it broke in the first place. Kind of like CSI for the vehicle.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
this is what happen when Acura are made in the USA and CA. Someone forgot to tighten the bolt.
Lol. That said I am not a fan of cars that using timing belts. Yes, timing chains break too, but not usually as early as a belt. It is a forced $700 to $1000 maint item at 7yrs or 100k miles that you dont have to do on a motor with a chain
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kareshi
I have a TL as a loaner and auto correct on my iPhone changed what I wrote. The TL is heavy and honestly seems like it handles worse than the previous generation. Almost numb, and over weight.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

The dealership called me today btw. Guess they took the motor down some more and decided there were no damage to the block. Said they will replace both heads just in case he one on the other side may have a malfunction but think something wasn't tightened correctly. They than have to mail off the heads so corporate can look into it. Good news is it'll be done in about a week. Bad news is I will never look at Acura the same way. I have a crappy 2001 TL that had 5 transmissions. I have a 2003 rsx that has air Bag lights constantly on and is the slowest car I ever owned, and I have a 2014 rdx that crapped at 2500 miles.

If I wanted to have problems I would have went German!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The dealership called me today btw. Guess they took the motor down some more and decided there were no damage to the block. Said they will replace both heads just in case he one on the other side may have a malfunction but think something wasn't tightened correctly. They than have to mail off the heads so corporate can look into it. Good news is it'll be done in about a week. Bad news is I will never look at Acura the same way. I have a crappy 2001 TL that had 5 transmissions. I have a 2003 rsx that has air Bag lights constantly on and is the slowest car I ever owned, and I have a 2014 rdx that crapped at 2500 miles.

If I wanted to have problems I would have went German!
Bad luck and I would be pissed too, and would ask for another vehicle but you would be unlikely to get it. I too had a TL (2002), that went through 4 transmissions. The last fix was fine when they added I think an oil jet or something but I never trusted it again and got rid of it. Too bad because it was a really nice car. All cars after (2004,2006 MDX, 2010 TL, my Wifes 2011 RDX and my 2014 RDX), were fine.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I'd still ask for a new vehicle. If it's fine then they can sell it to someone else, but you want a new one!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Suzuka Master

^ wow self entitled much?
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (04-16-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Well it has 97+ thousand miles left on it's warranty. So imma just see how it is when it comes back. I'll drive it probably the first week or so, instead if my wife. That way if there's anything funny I'll bring it back to the dealer to make sure it's right. And later down the road if it gives me more problems I'll get rid of it.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Instructor

I have a TL as a loaner and auto correct on my iPhone changed what I wrote. The TL is heavy and honestly seems like it handles worse than the previous generation. Almost numb, and over weight.
Thats because the newer steering stinks (feeling wise) making the car feel less feedback more numb. ... it's electric motor based instead of hydraulic pump based. This is being done in all brands because it increases the gas mileage slightly. In doing this, the steering feel is not as good. Even the new 3 series BMW, the steering doesn't feel as good as it used to.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor

If you have the windshield tint removed and side window tints removed or not as dark, no more hassle of getting pulled over and $$ tickets.. LOL! Pretty easy.. Don't mean to be rude, just saying...

Last edited by danmangto; 04-12-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by danmangto
Thats because the newer steering stinks (feeling wise) making the car feel less feedback more numb. ... it's electric motor based instead of hydraulic pump based. This is being done in all brands because it increases the gas mileage slightly. In doing this, the steering feel is not as good. Even the new 3 series BMW, the steering doesn't feel as good as it used to.
IMHO electric steering feels rubbery compared to hydraulic. I absolutely LOVE the steering in my 02 CL-S, very precise, tight, not too much boost. Taken in the context of whom the RDX is supposed to appeal to, the steering does it's job very well (read over-boosted for old people ).

I do think that the steering is very precise in terms of wheel input vs. where the RDX goes....in that regard Acura is spot on...
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

If you have the windshield tint removed and side window tints removed or not as dark, no more hassle of getting pulled over and $$ tickets.. LOL! Pretty easy.. Don't mean to be rude, just saying...
Eh I don't mind.... Knew about the risks going in. And in the highway driving mid day the sun doesn't beat down on you making me tired. I have wincos tint and after trying pretty much every type of ceramic and metallic, I feel it's the highest performing tint I ever used.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
are you sure the timeing belt is covered under the 100k powertrain war. my gmc has 100k war & it only coveres things that run in oil. no starter no water pump no diesel injectors or fuel pump.all are required to make the engine run but not covered under the war. fuel pump is over $3k alone for my truck.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll have to ask my dealer when I pick up my car later in the week
Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 AM
Suzuka Master

are you sure the timeing belt is covered under the 100k powertrain war. my gmc has 100k war & it only coveres things that run in oil. no starter no water pump no diesel injectors or fuel pump.all are required to make the engine run but not covered under the war. fuel pump is over $3k alone for my truck.
is it made out of gold or platinum?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Part of the issues with modern diesel fuel systems is that when the pump fails it pretty much destroys the rest of the fuel system as well. That means that all the high pressure fuel lines, injectors, etc. have to be replaced. I don't know about the GMCs but on my Ford diesel the truck cab has to be lifted off the frame to get to the engine and access the fuel pump and other major parts. Lots of expensive labor as well as parts. You want to be VERY careful where you buy your fuel. A tiny bit of grunge or water will ruin it.

As for the OP's timing belt, it should be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. He's not under just the powertrain warranty yet.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I paid for the extended bumper to bumper warranty. Think it was 3k when I bought the car and another 500 I think for a wheel and tire warranty.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Pro

The extended warranty doesn't go into effect until the factory bumper-to-bumper expires at 4 yr/50k mile (IIRC, something like that anyway). You should still be covered under the original factory warranty.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
The extended warranty doesn't go into effect until the factory bumper-to-bumper expires at 4 yr/50k mile (IIRC, something like that anyway). You should still be covered under the original factory warranty.
The factory drivetrain warranty on an Acura is 6yrs/70000 miles. That and the bumper-to-bumper warranty makes it seem to me that $3k is a lot of money to pay for the extra coverage. Peace of mind I guess.

Last edited by geocord; 04-14-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Part of the issues with modern diesel fuel systems is that when the pump fails it pretty much destroys the rest of the fuel system as well. That means that all the high pressure fuel lines, injectors, etc. have to be replaced. I don't know about the GMCs but on my Ford diesel the truck cab has to be lifted off the frame to get to the engine and access the fuel pump and other major parts. Lots of expensive labor as well as parts. You want to be VERY careful where you buy your fuel. A tiny bit of grunge or water will ruin it.

As for the OP's timing belt, it should be covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. He's not under just the powertrain warranty yet.
I don't think the belt will b covered under power train
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. They don't take pride in their work anymore. The cars assembled in the US have random rattles while the one that come from Japan are dead quiet. Japan has a philosophy called Kaizen (Kaizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Made in USA used to mean something at one point...

Also if you haven't notices all of the accords v6 and TL that have the spark plug ejects were all made in the USA.
Well I totally disagree with you on that but hey we are all entitled to an opinion.

Last edited by hand-filer; 04-14-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced

gmc has a 4 micron filter & a water sensor on it.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Pro

I don't think the belt will b covered under power train
He has less than 3k miles on it so it's still covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Well I totally disagree with you on that but hey we are all entitled to an opinion.
Its kool but here is another one

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/blew-my-coil-pack-908888/
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Dude you can provide me with all the anecdotal evidence you want but I really don't give a fuck!
As it presently stands my RDX is the most reliable perfect car on the planet and it was assembled by an American.
If it would have been assembled by a Canadian it might have been even more perfect.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

dealer just called.... Took it for a test drive this morning before setting up a time for me to pick it up. He said the car isn't as "quiet" as he would like it to be. Said he is going to push it back another day, so he can let the car cool down and readjust the valves.... Humm......
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. They don't take pride in their work anymore. The cars assembled in the US have random rattles while the one that come from Japan are dead quiet. Japan has a philosophy called Kaizen (Kaizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Made in USA used to mean something at one point...

Also if you haven't notices all of the accords v6 and TL that have the spark plug ejects were all made in the USA.
So, you don't think the Japanese companies know how to apply these same kaizen principles at their US plants that they do in Japan? Which of course, they actually do use their same engineering and manufacturing methods all over the world. They would be stupid not to.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Eh I don't mind.... Knew about the risks going in. And in the highway driving mid day the sun doesn't beat down on you making me tired. I have wincos tint and after trying pretty much every type of ceramic and metallic, I feel it's the highest performing tint I ever used.
True. Each state has diff laws. In NJ we can have the darkest 5%? but only on the back window and rear sides, which I've done. Side front windows, can't have any tint at all..
Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
IMHO electric steering feels rubbery compared to hydraulic. I absolutely LOVE the steering in my 02 CL-S, very precise, tight, not too much boost. Taken in the context of whom the RDX is supposed to appeal to, the steering does it's job very well (read over-boosted for old people ).

I do think that the steering is very precise in terms of wheel input vs. where the RDX goes....in that regard Acura is spot on...
As I said.. Agreed! If you think the RDX is over boosted, try driving a new Camry or even the Honda Odyssey, almost like over boosted Lincoln Town car systems of years ago, LOL! Not that bad.. but you get the idea. Turn the wheel with a pinky.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced

dealer just called.... Took it for a test drive this morning before setting up a time for me to pick it up. He said the car isn't as "quiet" as he would like it to be. Said he is going to push it back another day, so he can let the car cool down and readjust the valves.... Humm......
I know your pissed & nervous about such a big problem with low miles all I can say is keep it for awhile & see how it is you are 100% covered for repairs so its no money out of your pocket. I know you rather drive the car you bought rather than a dirty loaner but I have owned 6 acuras since 1999 & I feel they are better built & have more bang for the buck than a lot of the other car companys out their.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

True. Each state has diff laws. In NJ we can have the darkest 5%? but only on the back window and rear sides, which I've done. Side front windows, can't have any tint at all..
Where I live, legal is 40% on the front, 25% rear, Anything on the rear windshield, and Nothing on the front....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
If the dealer thinks it's noisy, it must sound like a diesel.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by musty hustla
If the dealer thinks it's noisy, it must sound like a diesel.
lol, that's what I was thinking. I haven't had the car long, but from what I remember, it was so quiet I wouldn't know the car was on sometimes... So tomorrow when I pick it up, I might get the dealer to start up a brand new one, so I can compare...

Quick Reply: RDX died!