RANT: The RDX AWD system is total junk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I traded in a 2008 V6 RAV4 for my 2016 RDX. Both engines had similar horsepower and torque ratings. The difference in AWD systems, is that the RAV4 had a "Lock" button on the dash, which sent power to the rear axle even though there was no slippage detected at the front wheels. When climbing a slippery slope, it is important to keep up the forward momentum and not apply so much torque that the wheels begin to spin. When the RDX front tires begin to spin, forward momentum is lost before the rear tires begin to apply force, and it becomes more difficult to get the vehicle moving again. On the other hand, the RAV4 is dividing engine torque to both axles, thereby reducing the likelihood of wheel spin, and preventing that loss of momentum. It also increases the likelihood that at least some of the 4 tires will be getting better traction than just 2 tires. In the RAV4 this "rear lock" automatically disengages at 40 KMH to prevent drive-train damage. If the Lock button is not pushed, the RAV4 behaves just like the RDX. Another small change is that the RAV's computer automatically activates the "Lock" when starting from a stop at full throttle. The RAV4 would never squawk the tires no matter how hard I pressed the accelerator. This small feature made me unbeatable at any impromptu read light challenge. In contrast the RDX will squeal the tires from the red light, which is a little embarrassing at times. I am experimenting with tire pressures to try and reduce the squeal. When driving in deep snow, I never found any advantage to using the RAV4's Lock button, and I find the RDX to travel through deep snow just as well as the RAV4.
Thank you for your perspective. It was informative.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Were you driving a 2016/2017 RDX or is it a 2007 model? I've driven my 2016 RDX Elite through some extremely heavy snowstorms in Canada with no problems at all. I've driven over barriers of snow that were very high, well over a few inches that you describe, probably 1 to 2 feet or more with no problems. I've driven by other vehicles that got stuck in the snow (usually sedans). I haven't been stuck even once. The AWD system in the current RDX is very capable of driving through snow, and I'm not even using snow tires. I'm using the Michelin Primacy all season tires that came with the vehicle. Have you tried putting the car in Sport mode? That makes going uphill and through tougher terrain easier.

Originally Posted by PeteZ28
Well I finally had the chance to "test" my RDX out in the snow. I say "test" because in reality I never made it out of my driveway. I'll preface this by saying my last vehicle was a Forester, so perhaps I am a bit spoiled, but none the less, I'm hugely underwhelmed with the AWD system's performance and the stock tires when the white stuff hits, which I suspect is why most people buy AWD in the first place.

Despite having my driveway plowed not long before, I just got stuck in what amounts to a few inches of snow before ever getting out of my driveway. Turning off the traction control (which never really turns "off" apparently, it just lessens the effect) and trying to blast through the (minimal) snow to get back to my garage only resulted in the ECM pulling engine power and setting an "AWD System Overheat" light after just a few seconds. So the normal protocall of letting the wheesl spin a little to dig down and power through is impossible. It seems like the computer just keeps pulling power and pulling power to protect the drivetrain. That tells me the AWD system must be pretty weak to begin with. So I just spent the last hour or so of my life on my hands and knees digging out the few inches of snow that had packed under my tires to I could get it back into the garage.

Moral of the story? The "AWD" system in the RDX is more like a FWD with some rear wheel assist. In practice, it's relatively useless in the real world and I'm feeling a bit ripped off right now for paying for it.

/rant
Old 09-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I traded in a 2008 V6 RAV4 for my 2016 RDX.Both engines had similar horsepower and torque ratings. The difference in AWD systems, is that the RAV4 had a "Lock" button on the dash, which sent power to the rear axle even though there was no slippage detected at the front wheels.

When climbing a slippery slope, it is important to keep up the forward momentum and not apply so much torque that the wheels begin to spin. When the RDX front tires begin to spin, forward momentum is lost before the rear tires begin to apply force, and it becomes more difficult to get the vehicle moving again. On the other hand, the RAV4 is dividing engine torque to both axles, thereby reducing the likelihood of wheel spin, and preventing that loss of momentum. It also increases the likelihood that at least some of the 4 tires will be getting better traction than just 2 tires.

In the RAV4 this "rear lock" automatically disengages at 40 KMH to prevent drive-train damage. If the Lock button is not pushed, the RAV4 behaves just like the RDX.

Another small change is that the RAV's computer automatically activates the "Lock" when starting from a stop at full throttle. The RAV4 would never squawk the tires no matter how hard I pressed the accelerator. This small feature made me unbeatable at any impromptu read light challenge. In contrast the RDX will squeal the tires from the red light, which is a little embarrassing at times. I am experimenting with tire pressures to try and reduce the squeal.

When driving in deep snow, I never found any advantage to using the RAV4's Lock button, and I find the RDX to travel through deep snow just as well as the RAV4.
This was something I mentioned a few times as well. I think the 2013+ model needs to have the lock button and not having it is a really curious omission.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently got a loaner 2016 AWD and it takes a lot of effort to have the front wheels peel off. I think they have fixed the AWD system. Probably not as good as SH but does everything you can ask for. I could floor the gas while taking a left on a turn signal and it would be completely planted.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Having moved from a '13 MDX w/SH-AWD to a '15 RDX AWD (and considering the wife has a '12 TL SH-AWD), I can safely say that those vehicles have a much better AWD system overall. Smarter, faster to respond, able to impact driveability dry, wet and slippery conditions. No question about that. But the AWD system in the '15 RDX (even before the change in the '16 to bias more traction to the rear) isn't a bad system at all. It behaves the same as the AWD system we had in our mid-00's Pilots, and as long as you remember to disable the stability control if you get stuck, you'll be all set. But for me the reason I have AWD is because of winter traction, and like someone else said, tires make all the difference. I use Nokian snows on all my vehicles in the winter - even the AWD ones - and have never regretted that decision. And while I think that these snows I have would get a FWD through the winter, the extra "grab" of the AWD in the roads I drive is a benefit to me.

andy
Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
How to keep a wife happy in Minnesota:

1. Buy her a car with AWD.
2. Put snows on it when appropriate.

Nothing to it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dirleton:
TheSauceBoss (02-08-2022), YeuEmMaiMai (09-17-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Had an 5 sp manual outback a few years back. Was awesome in the snow. Just came from a tsx wagon which was awful in the snow. Have '16 AWD RDX and it was very good in the snow last winter. Not as good as the Outback but much better than any FWD car I've ever driven and totally fine with OEM tires. Don't get all the complaints here - AWD on the '16 is solid and you don't need snows. RDX is so much better than the Outback in every other way that I think I can deal with the slightly inferior AWD. Really is always overblown on these forums...
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-02-2022)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by cudfoo
Had an 5 sp manual outback a few years back. Was awesome in the snow. Just came from a tsx wagon which was awful in the snow. Have '16 AWD RDX and it was very good in the snow last winter. Not as good as the Outback but much better than any FWD car I've ever driven and totally fine with OEM tires. Don't get all the complaints here - AWD on the '16 is solid and you don't need snows. RDX is so much better than the Outback in every other way that I think I can deal with the slightly inferior AWD. Really is always overblown on these forums...
EVERY FORUM EVER overblows everything. Take anything and everything with a grain of salt.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by cudfoo
Very true.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I tried to stay out of this thread as I have already given my observations on the RDX AWD in other threads... This was my experience with a 2014 model in a snow storm that dropped 9+ inches on us.

This is a SLIP and THEN GRIP system meaning that there has to be a certain amount of front wheel spin before the ECM decides to engage the rear wheels. I noticed in the snow the front end tended to slid around a bit when starting from a dead stop (due to torque steer inherent to FWD with unequal drive shafts) and then the rear wheels would engage and the RDX straightens right up and moves along nicely. Acura did this as a cost saving/ fuel economy measure, no doubt about it (and I do not blame them)

I have a 2003 and 2014 Subaru Legacy and up until last month an Acura CL type S. This is how I would rate them along with the RDX

1. 2003/14 Subaru Legacies... No wheel spin just goes straight when you move off from a dead stop
2. RDX, slides around a bit but moves off well
3. FWD CL-S

Oh, if you can afford it and have space, WINTER TIRES and wheels are a MUST if you live anywhere that gets a fair amount of snow. AWD does not make up for improper tires.

Originally Posted by dirleton
How to keep a wife happy in Minnesota:

1. Buy her a car with AWD.
2. Put snows on it when appropriate.

Nothing to it.
Absolutely, My wife drives the 2003 Legacy it is a very capable and forgiving car to drive

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 09-17-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:24 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow monkey circle jerk at best. Let's not forget that op got stuck in 3 THREE inches of snow? I couldn't do that in a Lada if I tried. Never no issues in some of the harshest rural Canadian winter weather possible, even more fun knocking off the traction control and whipping around in sport mode. Performs good enough. Acceleration uphills is way better than anything 2wd. Besides who wants to be seen in a Subapoo? Burns more oil than gas😜
Old 01-29-2022, 10:57 PM
alexmed2002

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I have to chime in after what I experienced today. I have a 2013 RDX with almost 108k miles. I have brand new all-season tires that have performed excellent throughout snow and rain here in New England. We got hit with 2 feet of snow and my car got stuck in some snow, but I cleaned a good amount of the snow and the AWD didn't seem to do sh*t after the fact. I'll admit that it was a bit of a challenge for the car, but my previous 2013 Subaru Legacy went through over a foot of snow with no struggle whatsoever. I was also dissapointed in my RDX because not even after a couple of minutes trying to get my car out, I got an AWD overheating warning. I mean seriously? I have had a rear wheel drive pickup truck that did better. It felt like the AWD was useless, and it sucks because I love the heck out of my car. I think I am starting to understand why everyone is pissed off that Acura didn't include SH-AWD in this generation...
Old 01-30-2022, 12:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I know this is an older thread, but I have to chime in after what I experienced today. I have a 2013 RDX with almost 108k miles. I have brand new all-season tires that have performed excellent throughout snow and rain here in New England. We got hit with 2 feet of snow and my car got stuck in some snow, but I cleaned a good amount of the snow and the AWD didn't seem to do sh*t after the fact. I'll admit that it was a bit of a challenge for the car, but my previous 2013 Subaru Legacy went through over a foot of snow with no struggle whatsoever. I was also dissapointed in my RDX because not even after a couple of minutes trying to get my car out, I got an AWD overheating warning. I mean seriously? I have had a rear wheel drive pickup truck that did better. It felt like the AWD was useless, and it sucks because I love the heck out of my car. I think I am starting to understand why everyone is pissed off that Acura didn't include SH-AWD in this generation...
It's not just not having SH-AWD, but the AWD system (pulled from the CRV) is just really lousy for low/no-traction conditions from a stop. If the front wheels have no traction, it's unable to send any power to the rear wheels.

IIRC, Honda's excuse was that nobody ever gets into that kind of situation so it doesn't matter. Uh huh...
Old 01-30-2022, 12:37 AM
alexmed2002

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
It's not just not having SH-AWD, but the AWD system (pulled from the CRV) is just really lousy for low/no-traction conditions from a stop. If the front wheels have no traction, it's unable to send any power to the rear wheels
Damn I think it's fair to say that's what it felt like for my car: only the front was spinning.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 298 Posts
It's not just not having SH-AWD, but the AWD system (pulled from the CRV) is just really lousy for low/no-traction conditions from a stop. If the front wheels have no traction, it's unable to send any power to the rear wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

IIRC, Honda's excuse was that nobody ever gets into that kind of situation so it doesn't matter. Uh huh...
On the Honda СRV video with a 2.4 engine, we are talking about an RDX with a 3.5 engine, RDX would have coped with the situation on the video, but in general I agree that the AWD on RDX is absolute garbage.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by altair47
On the Honda СRV video with a 2.4 engine, we are talking about an RDX with a 3.5 engine, RDX would have coped with the situation on the video, but in general I agree that the AWD on RDX is absolute garbage.
Would it have? It wasn’t the lack of engine output that prevented the car from going anywhere; the “AWD” system would not send any power to the rear wheels. Adding more power won’t fix that.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Would it have? It wasn’t the lack of engine output that prevented the car from going anywhere; the “AWD” system would not send any power to the rear wheels. Adding more power won’t fix that.
You're trying to argue with physics, if this AWD system puts out 25% of 2.4 engine torque to rear wheel, that's less than 40lb-ft . Of course it won't lift with that kind of torque.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:29 PM
Safety Car

You're trying to argue with physics, if this AWD system puts out 25% of 2.4 engine torque to rear wheel, that's less than 40lb-ft . Of course it won't lift with that kind of torque.
That’s not the point. The point is that the AWD system sends no power to the rear wheels in that situation to protect itself from overheating. Why would more power change that? The front wheels will still spin, and the rears will still not get any power sent to it. It’s functionally FWD by design in that situation.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:49 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
I was unfortunate enough to live in the Boston area during the winter of 2015, when 4 major snowstorms hit. I was coming to the end of a TSX lease and was looking to upgrade to a 2015 RDX. There are some parking lots along Soldiers Field Road not far from Acura of Boston. I tested the RDX in the snow covered lots and it struggled to get traction. Tested a Volvo XC60 after the next snowstorm in the same lot and it performed much better. If the 2nd gen RDX had SH-AWD then I probably would have stuck with Acura. Prior to the TSX I had a Subaru Forester and it always did well in the snow.

Alex Medeiros (01-30-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I don’t disagree that Acura cheaped out on the 2nd gens AWD system. We have a 2013 with 125k miles. We live in VA but have family in Ohio that may require our assistance at any time so I switch to winter tires December through March. One trip to Ohio we encountered the same conditions you describe and had no issues due to the winter tires. But you know that better than I do. In my situation a set of winter tires was a better solution than a new vehicle with a better AWD system. I would take a 2nd Gen RDX on winter tires over a Subaru on all seasons any day. Plus, aren’t Subarus everywhere up north.
altair47 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 06:37 AM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
I lived in Montana for the last three years; after 1 year, the local (Bozeman) and State police began issuing tickets for not owning a Subaru.

OK, not really, but it did seem that way. Ubiquitous is not too strong a word.

I live in Fargo now (my parents both grew up in ND, and I lived here for a couple of years in the sixties). Subarus seem much less 'omnipresent'.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
If you keep your feet firmly on the ground, you’ll have trouble putting on your pants.
Chargersix (02-08-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll say this... coming off of two Haldex-equipped AWD cars in my household... to this RDX...

...my winter driving habits have become much more conservative.

While this is probably a good thing overall, it's most likely thanks to me no longer being able to depend on the AWD performance of my RDX.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
Honestly, my 2015 RDX AWD is better in the snow than both of my previous, older Subarus - a 1996 Legacy and a 2004 Forester. Both were manual with 50/50 front/rear AWD. All cars ran on all-season tires. I'm sure Subaru AWD systems have become more advanced over the years, but that's my only point of comparison.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Unfortunately I am not able to test our RDX AWD system in real challenging snow condition. however, it drives no problem on 20-degree slope with 5 inches snow. I am more confident with my Outback in snow conditions for sure.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts
Unless I am wrong, I am sure the system on my RDX is the same type of system as on my 1999 Honda CR-V (1st gen), a hydraulic-mechanical system. Basically a 2 WD drive system till there is tire slip. I never had an issue and where I live, we have lots of snow. In fact, I drove over a 2+ foot high snow bank that the plow left to get into my snow covered driveway in my CR-V. Good tires help; I had Hakkas.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tech
Unless I am wrong, I am sure the system on my RDX is the same type of system as on my 1999 Honda CR-V (1st gen), a hydraulic-mechanical system. Basically a 2 WD drive system till there is tire slip. I never had an issue and where I live, we have lots of snow. In fact, I drove over a 2+ foot high snow bank that the plow left to get into my snow covered driveway in my CR-V. Good tires help; I had Hakkas.
In the old СRV, almost immortal mechanics are used, which serve for a very long time if the oil is changed on time, its only disadvantage is the loss of energy and more fuel consumption. In RDX, this system is completely electric, therefore weak, and if you skid for 5 minutes in a snowdrift, you will receive a message that the rear differential is overheated and the car will no longer spin the rear wheels.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts
In RDX, this system is completely electric.
I changed the fluid in both my 1st gen CR-V and my RDX with DPF and neither of them are electric. There are no wires going into any of the final drives. Maybe you are thinking of the SH-AWD system which a 2nd gen RDX like my 2017 does not have.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tech
I changed the fluid in both my 1st gen CR-V and my RDX with DPF and neither of them are electric. There are no wires going into any of the final drives. Maybe you are thinking of the SH-AWD system which a 2nd gen RDX like my 2017 does not have.
You are completely right, the system is completely mechanical, and all these wires and an electric motor are just Putin's propaganda) https://www.ebay.com/itm/15415068254...sAAOSw8jJfjc4h

Last edited by altair47; 02-20-2022 at 11:22 AM.