Next Generation Acura RDX Spied

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017 | 12:47 AM
Intermediate

The Acuras I own/have owned are MDX, TL, RDX (2), and TSX. I currently own a 2016 Acura RDX (Advance AWD) and it is a satisfactory car. I typically change cars at around 75K miles. IF Acura's new RDX is only offered in a 4 cylinder engine, it will be a no go for me and could turn me off to the whole brand.

Sure, turbo-charged engines might be able to SIMULATE V6+ power, but it will never be the same...and most importantly, it will never have the same reliability. If Acura is going to push 4 cylinders with no 6+ cylinder options I am done with the brand (and I've been a "fanboy" since the early 2000s.)

Last edited by SirJOW; 02-24-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2017 | 06:18 AM
Racer

agree. had the 2007 rav4 with the 4 banger and it sucked in the summer with AC on. DOG. 2011 highlander was better with the v6 but horrible gas mileage and any kind of excitement- base model is BASE, ie: no outside temp guage, no perks. 2016 rdx awd AWP so far is great, just color changes for the 17 model so went with the 16 at a discount. got great tradein on paid off highlander.
Old 02-25-2017 | 08:41 AM
MTD
Racer

If they keep the V6 around in the RDX, then it really needs the MDX/TLX GDI version. The 2.0T already makes more HP and TQ then the current V6. The current V6 is a decent enough motor, but quite lackluster compared to some of the other options Acura could use.
Old 02-25-2017 | 12:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MTD
If they keep the V6 around in the RDX, then it really needs the MDX/TLX GDI version. The 2.0T already makes more HP and TQ then the current V6. The current V6 is a decent enough motor, but quite lackluster compared to some of the other options Acura could use.
Acura really plays it safe with the current RDX. The result is a win, as sales seem to show. On the opposite side of this coin is a plain vanilla and lackluster SUV (other than the cool headlights imo). I hope they bring a few options to the new gen to spice things up a bit for the fanboys.
Old 02-25-2017 | 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Whoa, that sucker does look bigger than before!

So does this mean the CDX (or an equivalent sized) SUV/crossover is coming, to fit under the RDX? It would make sense. Acura might as well exploit the SUV segment as much as possible.

I hope that then allows Acura to jump harder on to the sedans they admitted they are struggling to sell. We know that ikeda is intending on working on the sedan lineup... I hope that with even greater SUV sales, it allows them to do even more with the sedans. No guarantee of it of course, but a boy can dream, right?

Im curious about the placement of those tail lights. Makes me think of like the Lexus GX SUV, with its high mounted tail lights. I've always liked the high mounting point of the Lexus lights- I'm hoping Acura makes them look sexy too.
Old 02-26-2017 | 04:31 PM
Racer

Dual integrated exhaust!
Old 02-26-2017 | 04:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
I spy Acura going after size and luxury
I hope so. Acura actually has the ability to take the Lux market by storm. I think that what infuriarated many of us... Acura just sitting back when we knew they can be great. I'm not expecting them to be market leaders, but it'd be cool to see them show the other brands they are a force to contend with.
Old 02-26-2017 | 05:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by colt427
Dual integrated exhaust!
It has a dual exhaust now. They just don't show the pipes. I suspect they will adopt the current MDX's metal trimmed exhaust outlets for the next gen.
Attached Thumbnails Next Generation Acura RDX Spied-2017-acura-mdx-hybrid-rear-side-view-motion.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017 | 11:15 AM
TX-RDX Owner

Originally Posted by iutodd
This isn't an RDX. It's a powertrain mule. It's a CR-V body with next-gen RDX guts.
My thoughts exactly. I mean if you zoom in there's a significant gap under the grille, which tells me it was tacked on. I really think they were testing some tech (adaptive cruise, collision braking etc) and needed the Acura grille. All the proportions and lines scream CR-V!