Maintenance Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017 | 01:01 PM
Intermediate

Maintenance Help

So I recently went into my Acura dealer to get an oil change. Along with it they always do a multipoint inspection. There were a couple things that came up that I have some questions about that I'm sure you guys have more experience with.

I have a 2014 Acura RDX AWD Tech Pkg. Also I bought it pre-owned.

Failed inspection recommendations
1) Transmission fluid: it says that service is due at 30,000 miles or maintence minder 3. However I've driven less than a third of that. Approximately 6000 since being driven off the lot. Should I be worried or wait until the maintence minder pops up. This is $219.95. Are there alternatives than going to Acura, possibly firestone?

2) replacing front brake pads and resurface brakes: this cost $319.95. Is there a cheaper alternative than the dealership? Im not expert but that seems like a lot for replacing brake pads.

3) perform four wheel alignment. Says alignment is due every 15,000 miles or one year. It hasn't been a year and I've driving a little more than a third of that. This cost $139.95. What does the wheel alignment do?

4) preform brake fluid exchange. Brake fluid is due every three years. Like I said, I haven't even owned the car for a year... so I don't understand why it needs to be replaced. $157.95

5) tire rotation. I had my tires rotated about 8 months ago when I had a B1 service performed. This is $34.95. And that's just for labor, is it easy to do it myself? What equipment would I need that they have? Could I get it done cheaper somewhere else?

its just all these failed recommendations add up. That and I haven't even driven it enough miles or owned it for enough time for some of the replacements. Is it possible the dealer sold me the car without actually replacing/servicing the car before delivery. Can they do that? Also, if anyone knows the cost for the parts for all these services, that would be much appreciated. Then I could possibly buy these parts and service them myself if it's easy, or see if I can find a different place to service them instead of acura
Old 10-03-2017 | 01:19 PM

whoa, they upsold you on services you dont even need yet!
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (10-09-2017)
Old 10-03-2017 | 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

The best thing that you can do if you are at all interested in not getting hosed by the dealership....either find a trustworthy independent shop with fair prices (let me know where that unicorn exists), go to Honda dealer and pray that they are not owned by the same Acura dealer, or buy a few basic tools and use these forums to do basic work and save a ton of $$$$.

Almost anything that you need to do on your vehicle can be done with a good floor jack, 4 jack stands, few funnels (one for oil, one trans fluid, one beer), some good hand tools, and time spent in the garage section of this forum.
My TL is just about to roll 250,000 miles and I have been able to keep it out of the dealership for at least the last 4 years. I only bring it in for timing belt and recall issues. I have done brakes (easy), oil, tires, radiator replacement, trans fluid, and other basic stuff. Everything at home has a cost of maybe one quarter of what the dealer wants. Yes it takes some time, and yes it requires some research, but the dealerships make their money on service and the upcharges are crazy. I know that some people don't want to bother with doing your own work or they don't have a place or the tools, but I would rather pay myself $100/hour than give it to someone else....plus I actually enjoy working on my car.
Old 10-04-2017 | 03:52 PM
Touring

This isn't a new vehicle. It isn't a matter of how far you've driven it. It's how many miles are on it and when the last service was done. Your multipoint inspection should show brake pad remaining and tire tread depth. Almost guaranteed you can get the brake job done somewhere else cheaper - if it's needed at all.
Four wheel alignment every 15,000 seems excessive. If it's driving ok and the tires aren't wearing unevely, I'd skip it in any case. I did benefit from having the tires rebalanced at the last rotation, however.
This will probably get a lot of adverse comments, but I don't change transmission fluid. Honda has made a pain in the neck. Based on all the high mileage cars I've had with no problems, I'm not convinced it's worth it. Your dealer actually gave you a better price than mine quoted. They want $300 here.
Old 10-04-2017 | 06:31 PM
Instructor

You failed to let us know how many miles you have on the car to begin with. Assuming that it was less than 30K when purchased and less than 3 years old etc etc... I guess I could see why Acura is listing all these items because "technically it's due" based on their recommended maintenance intervals. I would call the dealer you originally purchased it from and ask them all the things they've done to the car prior.

I actually have a 2013 CPO (certified pre-owned) which I purchased in August with 53K miles. Being that it is a CPO it has to go through a long list of inspections that are pretty strict. I have new tires, new rotors, and breaks. So I'm pretty sure my car was serviced, plus a got a transmission fluid change recently due to some judder during shifting therefore I know once 60K comes up and the maintenance reminder 3 shows to flush (along with all the other things you've listed Acura recommended it'll definitely be waaaaay too premature), so I definitely will not be doing pretty much any of it and I'll just have to keep an eye out on my mileage and know what to do and when to do it.

Brakes can be done anywhere. Call around and ask for prices. Question is if you want Honda pads or not. Do you research on pads and get the lowest price with what you think are good. Bring them to someone to resurface and install. While he's at it ask him to rotate your tires. Same goes with a tranny flush and fill. You have to use Honda ATF. Again, call around and ask. The brake guy can probably do that too! And shit, while you're at it, ask him how much is it to flush the brake fluid and if he thinks its necessary (assuming your original dealership didn't do it when they sold it to you).
Old 10-04-2017 | 08:23 PM
Pro

Transmission fluid is a 30k interval on the RDX. If you don't have the records for past service and can't obtain them, I would go ahead and get that done and then you know when 30k comes up again. I would do the brake fluid as 3yrs is the right time. The alignment suggestion is strange to me as we purchased the maintenance package from the dealer and our '16 has 36k miles. They have done rotations regularly, but no alignments(and no mention of needing one either). The pads certainly could be worn on a '14 (not sure how many miles you have, or if they have ever been replaced in the past). As others have said, I would recommend an indy Acura shop as they will do all these things cheaper. If you have a Discount Tire around - they will rotate your tires for free.
Old 10-05-2017 | 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by quantum7
The best thing that you can do if you are at all interested in not getting hosed by the dealership....either find a trustworthy independent shop with fair prices (let me know where that unicorn exists), go to Honda dealer and pray that they are not owned by the same Acura dealer, or buy a few basic tools and use these forums to do basic work and save a ton of $$$$.

Almost anything that you need to do on your vehicle can be done with a good floor jack, 4 jack stands, few funnels (one for oil, one trans fluid, one beer), some good hand tools, and time spent in the garage section of this forum.
My TL is just about to roll 250,000 miles and I have been able to keep it out of the dealership for at least the last 4 years. I only bring it in for timing belt and recall issues. I have done brakes (easy), oil, tires, radiator replacement, trans fluid, and other basic stuff. Everything at home has a cost of maybe one quarter of what the dealer wants. Yes it takes some time, and yes it requires some research, but the dealerships make their money on service and the upcharges are crazy. I know that some people don't want to bother with doing your own work or they don't have a place or the tools, but I would rather pay myself $100/hour than give it to someone else....plus I actually enjoy working on my car.
yeah, unfortunately the Honda dealer near me is owned by the same company.
I'm gonna do a bit of research of course but I'm probably going to end up letting a shop do it, mainly because I don't want to mess it up. I might try to do it myself when I feel comfortable with the amount of information I obtain
Old 10-05-2017 | 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcross1231
This isn't a new vehicle. It isn't a matter of how far you've driven it. It's how many miles are on it and when the last service was done. Your multipoint inspection should show brake pad remaining and tire tread depth. Almost guaranteed you can get the brake job done somewhere else cheaper - if it's needed at all.
Four wheel alignment every 15,000 seems excessive. If it's driving ok and the tires aren't wearing unevely, I'd skip it in any case. I did benefit from having the tires rebalanced at the last rotation, however.
This will probably get a lot of adverse comments, but I don't change transmission fluid. Honda has made a pain in the neck. Based on all the high mileage cars I've had with no problems, I'm not convinced it's worth it. Your dealer actually gave you a better price than mine quoted. They want $300 here.
wow, 300? That's a lot. But yeah, I understand it's not a new car, I'd just figured that they would've at least done a full service when they delivered the car. It's just that the services they cmrecommend don't correspond with the times I've owned it or the amount I've driven it. Yeah I'm going to look around for the brakes .
Old 10-05-2017 | 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t0md0
You failed to let us know how many miles you have on the car to begin with. Assuming that it was less than 30K when purchased and less than 3 years old etc etc... I guess I could see why Acura is listing all these items because "technically it's due" based on their recommended maintenance intervals. I would call the dealer you originally purchased it from and ask them all the things they've done to the car prior.

I actually have a 2013 CPO (certified pre-owned) which I purchased in August with 53K miles. Being that it is a CPO it has to go through a long list of inspections that are pretty strict. I have new tires, new rotors, and breaks. So I'm pretty sure my car was serviced, plus a got a transmission fluid change recently due to some judder during shifting therefore I know once 60K comes up and the maintenance reminder 3 shows to flush (along with all the other things you've listed Acura recommended it'll definitely be waaaaay too premature), so I definitely will not be doing pretty much any of it and I'll just have to keep an eye out on my mileage and know what to do and when to do it.

Brakes can be done anywhere. Call around and ask for prices. Question is if you want Honda pads or not. Do you research on pads and get the lowest price with what you think are good. Bring them to someone to resurface and install. While he's at it ask him to rotate your tires. Same goes with a tranny flush and fill. You have to use Honda ATF. Again, call around and ask. The brake guy can probably do that too! And shit, while you're at it, ask him how much is it to flush the brake fluid and if he thinks its necessary (assuming your original dealership didn't do it when they sold it to you).
I got the car in nov.2016 with about 36k miles on it. Now it has about 40k . And it's a 2014 rdx so it's now 3 years old now I'd say. Mine was purchased CPO as well. Everything seemed okay with the car except the rotors which were rusted. They didn't replace them but resurfaced them instead. Not sure about the tires, but they seemed new, but you never know. Yeah, I'll definitely call around for the brakes because that's a priotrity right now

Last edited by AcuraDave09; 10-05-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2017 | 08:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chickdr
Transmission fluid is a 30k interval on the RDX. If you don't have the records for past service and can't obtain them, I would go ahead and get that done and then you know when 30k comes up again. I would do the brake fluid as 3yrs is the right time. The alignment suggestion is strange to me as we purchased the maintenance package from the dealer and our '16 has 36k miles. They have done rotations regularly, but no alignments(and no mention of needing one either). The pads certainly could be worn on a '14 (not sure how many miles you have, or if they have ever been replaced in the past). As others have said, I would recommend an indy Acura shop as they will do all these things cheaper. If you have a Discount Tire around - they will rotate your tires for free.
yeah, I'm not sure why they suggested an alignment either. I bought it CPO with 36k miles and now it's at around 40k I have to double check. I'll definitely try finding out about the service history. The pads haven't been replaced during my ownership, not sure if the dealer replaced them when they delivered the car

Last edited by AcuraDave09; 10-05-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2017 | 09:07 AM
Instructor

If Your RDX was purchased CPO at 36K.Why wasn't the trans.fluid changed at that time?Good question for the Dealer!
This company is trying to rip You off.You can replace Your own brake pads for less than $50.00.If You can change a tire ,You can replace brake pads.Check out Utube videos.
I question whether You need brake pads at 40K.Pull one tire and look at the depth of the pad and the distance to the wear indicator.The wear indicator is a little piece of metal that scrapes against the rotor to make a squeaking sound,when pads need to be replaced.I have ,in the past, broken the indicators off and drove another 10K before replacing pads.
However,lots of people are willing to pay,to not have to do it Themselves.Your decision.
Old 10-06-2017 | 09:26 AM
Advanced

As far as the brakes go, ask the dealer to replace them under warranty under this TSB. Tell him you feel some vibration when they are applied lightly.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-002.PDF
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (10-09-2017)