Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance

On the website they feature of 100k maintenance free - only needing filter and oil changes.

Can some of you who has already bought the vehicle explain what kind of maintenance is needed? No transmission fluid service for 100k too?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
This is a common claim on many newer cars. Much of it is due to advancements in sparkplugs and ignition systems. Note that it is for vehicles in "normal" service - most manufacturers have a "severe" service maintenance schedule that is more restrictive. For the RDX it means that routine replacement of components other than those specified occurs at or beyond 100k miles. The most important and expensive of these will be the timing belt. Manufacturers increasingly state that automatic transmission fluids last the lifetime of the vehicle. Many don't even have dipsticks for the transmission and a proper change requires the car be hooked up to their tech machine. For the RDX it is just as you state. Follow the MID display for the maintenance and you will be fine. The MID will take your particular driving habits into account for the intervals and you will only change cabin, air and oil filters and oil.

Last edited by Dorsey; 06-26-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Let me tell you something about automatic transmission servicing in a Mercedes.

Originally, Mercedes figured that ATF was a one time/lifetime fill and that servicing it wasn't required. Like Dorsey described, we don't have dipsticks and need a machine to change the ATF. Owners of their Mercedes, as they put more miles to their car, started having early transmission failures and Mercedes stuck by their lifetime fill claim. Eventually there were an overwhelming amount of complaints about early failures that they changed their "lifetime fill" to a one time service at 39k miles. Still, failures persisted and they completed changed to service interval to consistent transmission fluid changes to maintain success.

Go figure.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Can one of you guys who has purchased the 2013 RDX walk me through what kind of service is needed in the first 100k miles, is there anything like timing belt or valve adjust.

Because I planned to all the fluid changes at home, but I will not open the engine up.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Timing belt, valves, & spark plugs will be at 105k, or whenever the maintenance minder tells you.

You'll need to do the tranny fluid probably at 30k or once again whenever the "MM" tells you.

Just follow what the "MM" says and you should be fine, I believe the codes for it are all listed in the manual somewhere.

When they say 100k maintenance free, all they are really talking about is the engine.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Racer

I agree with Acura_TL. I've never had to change a timing belt or adjust valves and they usually should last you the life of the vehicle (or 100k).
Old 07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

I can reset the maintenance reminder on my own,
don't have to rely on dealer, correct?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDXAWD
I can reset the maintenance reminder on my own,
don't have to rely on dealer, correct?
Yeah. Doing your own maintenance should not void your warranty either. As long as you do it right.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
If you want to save a few bucks on maintenance you can take it to your local Honda dealer. But they can't do warranty maintenance. I take my 06 TSX to honda for fluid changes and it is about 1/2 the price my Acura dealer charges. They use the same fluids and filters of other Honda products. Your RDX should be likewise with the CR-V. But like I said if it is warranty work they can't do it. My Honda dealer charges $49 per fluid change and has a package deal. My Acura dealer wanted close to $500 for all fluid changes.

I used to do my own oil changes, but now at my age I'll spend a few more dollars and avoid the hassle. I've never done ATF or coolant, but I've done brake fluid when I changed pads.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
no offense...but a lot of this stuff is in your owner's manual. just sayin'

follow your MID, know what the codes are and you'll be fine. major maintainance as others hhave stated is at 105k mi (there is a code for that too...it's on or about the 105k mi mark). the only items NOT part of the MID system is the brake fluid (every 3 yrs) and power steering fluid (oh wait...the newer acuras have EPS, nvm). other than this stuff the rest if wear and tear items.

keep receipts and records (excel file) of your fluid changes if you are DIYing and your warranty will be fine. i don't own a '13 RDX, but i own two acura's with the MID systems in place. my TL i've owned since new...followed the MID...no issues. my MDX...same MID system...will continue to follow the MID and the OM for maintenance.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
What are folks thoughts on using Mobil1 for oil changes? I do pretty low miles, roughly in the 6-7000 range a year, and, once delivered later this month, hope to keep this RDX for a long time. (My last two cars I kept 10 and 12 years respectively.) Thought is that I'd do a Mobil1 change with filter annually, almost irregardless of what the maintenance minder says (unless it recommends more frequently), since my driving tends to fall into the harsh duty cycle. Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Sculldog - your maintenance schedule is exactly what Acura says to do on the oil and filter. Change it once a year if your miles are too low for the MID. I am a big fan of Mobile1 but like TLtrigirl says in other posts, plenty of discussion on oil elsewhere on the site so no use starting the discussion again. I keep my cars about as long as you do and have always kept track of my maintenace by doing it at 5000 mile intervals - oil at 5k, rotate tires at 10k, air filters at 20k. I have decided to follow the MID on the RDX. This is a big change for an old school type like me.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Hey Rocket man..... I'm with you on the service at Honda. I've owned 5 Hondas in a row....and have an established tech that is the ONLY one to work on my cars. I talked to him about keeping the service up on my new RDX. He said..."no problem...and I have access to Acura service info/TSB's, etc. Not all Honda techs have that access. He is a "senior" there and has all his advanced Honda training.

So, yes, it will be lots cheaper for me to do it with him. He will annotate the "service register", stamp it and all that good stuff.
I still have some "free oil changes" left from a previous purchase there. No expiration date!!

And, you are correct.....any warranty repairs must go to an Acura dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (07-03-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Hey Rocket man..... I'm with you on the service at Honda. I've owned 5 Hondas in a row....and have an established tech that is the ONLY one to work on my cars. I talked to him about keeping the service up on my new RDX. He said..."no problem...and I have access to Acura service info/TSB's, etc. Not all Honda techs have that access. He is a "senior" there and has all his advanced Honda training.

So, yes, it will be lots cheaper for me to do it with him. He will annotate the "service register", stamp it and all that good stuff.
I still have some "free oil changes" left from a previous purchase there. No expiration date!!

And, you are correct.....any warranty repairs must go to an Acura dealer.
i used to take my tsx to the acura dealer but I changed to the honda dealer (the same dealership) I dealt with the service manager from acura who now is the honda service manager. He makes sure my car is taken care of with great prices.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (07-03-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
6th Gear

Bought an RDX this past November and in addition purchased Acura Care Maintenance which esentially covers most A & B type services for 4 years/60,000 miles w/ $0 deductible.

Coverage includes:

Oil & oil filter change
Air intake filter
Cabin air filter
Tire rotation
Automatic transmission fluid
Brake fluid
Differential fluid

I paid $1350 which comes down to $337.50 a year. Worth it? Overpaid? I'm still within the 60 days to ask for a refund so your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
depends on how much you drive the car.

A service usually around 120, ask for an oil change= $45 x6
B service = 180-200, ask for an oil change =$45x6
Filters= $200, buy filters and DIY =$40 x2
Tire rotation= $30x6+
Tranny fluid = $150-200 x2
Brake fluid= $120-150x1
Differential= $150-200x2-3?

assuming the MID avg for an oil change is around 5k.

you essentially prepaid for your maintenance.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If I recall you can buy Acura Care from other dealers. See what Bernardi or Curry or any of the ones with larger online presence offers for the same package. The number you mentioned doesn't seem far off.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
What are folks thoughts on using Mobil1 for oil changes? I do pretty low miles, roughly in the 6-7000 range a year, and, once delivered later this month, hope to keep this RDX for a long time. (My last two cars I kept 10 and 12 years respectively.) Thought is that I'd do a Mobil1 change with filter annually, almost irregardless of what the maintenance minder says (unless it recommends more frequently), since my driving tends to fall into the harsh duty cycle. Thoughts?
Sculldog, agree totally with exclusive use of Mobil 1 or other high quality synthetic oil in the RDX. My 2013 is too new for an established record, but my previous vehicles have always enjoyed Mobil 1 changes, at about 10K or annually, whichever came first. My experience is that synthetic lubricants at least double engine life.

For my 2013 RDX, I'll plan on changing oil at least annually, using strictly sythetic oils like Mobil 1. When needed, I'll change tranny fluid using synthetic ATF.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Spoke with the service guys when I had the car in, asked about Mobil 1. Apparently they don't make a mobil 1 in the same viscosity that the RDX calls for, although Acura apparently has a full synthetic. Still at 50% per MM, will see in another few months.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Spoke with the service guys when I had the car in, asked about Mobil 1. Apparently they don't make a mobil 1 in the same viscosity that the RDX calls for, although Acura apparently has a full synthetic. Still at 50% per MM, will see in another few months.
Anything wrong with this?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-20.aspx