Lincoln MKC - new competitor for the RDX (Crossover SUV class)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Lincoln MKC - new competitor for the RDX (Crossover SUV class)

Looks like a nice vehicle. If Lincoln / Ford adds the right features with pricing in the RDX range then they may get a lot of sales while stealing some sales from Acura, BMW, and Audi.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...=1458_30394980

Excerpt from article:
The MKC offers two turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The new one displaces 2.3 liters, so, as with the MKZ and its V-6, the MKC offers a powerplant unavailable in its correlate Ford (although a stronger version will find its way into the 2015 Mustang). Compared with the 2.0-liter base unit, it receives unique intake and exhaust plumbing, including a three-port integrated exhaust manifold (as opposed to a single port); a new radiator, condenser, and air-to-air intercooler; larger valves; and its own twin-scroll Honeywell turbocharger that pumps at 15 psi. Making 275 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 300 lb-ft of torque at 3000, it’s competitive with the German bogeys—namely the Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Mercedes GLK, the top-deck versions of which make 272, 300, and 302 horsepower and 295, 300, and 273 lb-ft.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
I rented a 2013 MKZ sedan this year, and the ride, fit & finish, materials are very nice on the new Lincolns. The push button transmission is pretty cool. The jury is still out on depreciation and quality after the warranty runs out. Once you get by their front grills, they are not a bad looking cars. I would not touch one of their 4 cylinder "eco-boost" engines. Too many reported problems. This MKC looks like an Audi Q5 from the side.
I'm sure their rear shocks are better than ours (ha, ha).
Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks like they scaled down the awful grill that scared small children. That was a total disaster.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
I think it looks great! And the content for the class is very impressive.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice to see Lincoln caught up with the cars of the 50's/60's.

The following U.S. cars had push button automatic transmissions:
AMC Rambler & Ambassador (except American) 1958-1962
All Chrysler Products 1956-1964
Edsel 1958 (upper line Corsair and Citation only)
The Rambler and Chrysler products had the push buttons to the left of the steering column. The Edsel had the push buttons in the steering wheel hub.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
To be totally honest, I find this design very appealing and don't find the grill as offensive on this integration. It seems better adapted for this vehicle.

I am not convinced I would be prepared to buy a Ford but nonetheless, they get my thumbs up on this styling. I hate to say it but it makes the RDX a bit boring.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
To be totally honest, I find this design very appealing and don't find the grill as offensive on this integration. It seems better adapted for this vehicle.

I am not convinced I would be prepared to buy a Ford but nonetheless, they get my thumbs up on this styling. I hate to say it but it makes the RDX a bit boring.
As usual Weather, I applaud your objectivity. Bravo! And I agree with you. I think it makes our Q5 look a bit boring by comparison as well.
The following users liked this post:
weather (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The ecoboost engines are a dealbreaker. The turbo lags in the escape and the gas mileage is no where near epa estimates if you use the turbo.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Racer

with a lot of the features standard that the MDX / RLX has but not the RDX yet I hope this new vehicle will propel Acura to add them (safety items like LED DRLs, Blind spot lane warnings, and collision warnings).

The base will be at $33,995. The better engine will probably be a few thousand more which may be similarly priced to the current tech RDX.

Hopefully Lincoln can get rid of the stigma as the "old man car". It seems Chrysler has found a younger audience but Lincoln is still struggling to redefine itself. When I am looking though I will definitely test drive this vehicle and the RDX.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but North American cars still have not proved their worth since the "style over substance" days. My wife had a 2000 Ford Windstar and I had a 2000 Subaru Forester at the same time. I would say on an annual basis, we spent $2000.00 more on the Windstar than we did on the Forester not including gas and oil changes - mostly for stuff like door mechanism, air conditioning hoses, oxygen sensors, brake pads, etc. Don't get me wrong, the Windstar was actually a pretty good vehicle for a North American van - if you were willing to spend the money to keep it up to snuff. I still don't know if I would shell out big money for a North American vehicle, especially with a turbo engine.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not bad... I like the back, but I'm still not a fan of the big toothy or gaping grills that the trend seems to be these days.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
The ecoboost engines are a dealbreaker. The turbo lags in the escape and the gas mileage is no where near epa estimates if you use the turbo.
When it comes to lag, some turbos are better than others for sure. As a rule they are getting better, but I think throttle-by-wire enhances it. Lincoln claims to have virtually eliminated the lag on the new 2.3. We'll see. I will be testing and MKC when they hit dealers next summer, and I assure you I'll know by the end of the drive whether lag is an issue.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Well I really like this car. Let's face it, if Acura produced a car like this just about every one of us would be all over it. I'll bet you that the passenger seats have height adjustment! With available cooled seats.... I like it. Would I expect the RDX to get these features? Heck no. Acura won't even consider it until they start losing sales to it

And one more thing Acura... look at this website. You should have one for the TLX. Maybe they just have nothing good to say about the TLX?

http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mk...d=bb-2169i-mkc
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Looks are deceiving. It's still a gussied up Ford Escape derived from the Ford Focus platform of which neither has a very stellar track record for reliability.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Looks are deceiving. It's still a gussied up Ford Escape derived from the Ford Focus platform of which neither has a very stellar track record for reliability.
Maybe so, but no more than the RDX is a gussied up CR-V derived from the Civic platform.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Well I really like this car. Let's face it, if Acura produced a car like this just about every one of us would be all over it. I'll bet you that the passenger seats have height adjustment! With available cooled seats.... I like it. Would I expect the RDX to get these features? Heck no. Acura won't even consider it until they start losing sales to it

And one more thing Acura... look at this website. You should have one for the TLX. Maybe they just have nothing good to say about the TLX?

http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mk...d=bb-2169i-mkc
I remember when I first saw the RDX (13), I thought what an improvement it was over the 12. That said they cant make it too much better as it will cut into the MDX sales. So they have to keep some of the gadgets solely for the MDX / RLX. I guess they could put another level of RDX foreward, but I am willing to bet Acura would just loose some MDX sales to the RDX. So offering this would not likely be cost effective. I believe the majority of Acura owners buy them as they are very good and reliable cars for a good price. Whether you like it or not, you can get all the gadjets with an Audi, BMW, Lexus etc, but they cost quite a bit more.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Maybe so, but no more than the RDX is a gussied up CR-V derived from the Civic platform.
You missed my point.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ you were making the point of the less than stellar reliability correct? I agree that being derived from an already existing plateform/model is not a bad thing providing its a solid and proven recipe....That being said, I had the same initial reaction as HotRodW when I read your post.

BTW...I just read your signature....so the 2012 RDX rear shocks solved the rear suspension thump/thud?!

Last edited by weather; 11-16-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^ you were making the point of the less than stellar reliability correct? I agree that being derived from an already existing plateform/model is not a bad thing providing its a solid and proven recipe....That being said, I had the same initial reaction as HotRodW when I read your post.

BTW...I just read your signature....so the 2012 RDX rear shocks solved the rear suspension thump/thud?!
That is correct. I factory ordered a fully loaded 2012 Focus Titanium and had it for a total of 10 months.
I wont go into details here but it was plagued with issues from day one.
No heat output in the winter, interior rattles galore, The typically buggy sync, On 2 occasions the radio suddenly played at full volume at ultra low frequencies for about 20-30 seconds after exiting the car and then turned itself off. And lastly the front end sounded like it was ready to fall apart.
Multiple trips to the dealership and nothing was ever resolved.
Ford customer service was of no help and the experience of owning this car was a complete disaster.
All you need to do is visit the Escape and Focus forums and you will get a good perspective on how shitty these vehicles are.
And yes the RDX is rocking and rolling with nary a squeak rattle or clunk to be heard.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Racer

I am glad Lincoln is releasing this car with all these features. Also, Kia has had some commercials recently with a lot of bells / whistles on their cars. All of this will put pressure on Acura to add all these features on the RDX and ILX for 2015 just to keep up with the other brands.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't really compare

Sorry, American cars are comfy, good looking (some of them) but lack in reliability. It's a known fact, they might be cheaper when you buy them but they will cost you more in repairs. So even if in the long run they will be at the same total cost, repairs included, with the Japanese ones, I prefer the latter, less trips to the mechanic. I don't want to remind anyone the resale value of a Japanese car, as all is or happens for a reason
Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
And yes the RDX is rocking and rolling with nary a squeak rattle or clunk to be heard.
That's great, but didn't you have to take matters into your own hands to get that clunk-free ride? I've been following the suspension saga, and it seems strange that you of all people would speak up in favor of Acura's reliability. Not hating, but I am curious ... how many trips to the dealership have you made for the same issue?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

That's great, but didn't you have to take matters into your own hands to get that clunk-free ride? I've been following the suspension saga, and it seems strange that you of all people would speak up in favor of Acura's reliability. Not hating, but I am curious ... how many trips to the dealership have you made for the same issue?
Yes it is a wonderful thing to have a quiet riding car. I would categorize this as a quality issue not a reliability issue as you call it.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Racer

the more I read about the MKC, the more I am impressed. If Lincoln prices the MKC properly, they will definitely eat into the sales of the RDX. The RDX may need a refresh sooner than later to compete. At least they need to add in features that the others offer and the RDX does not. Adding an SH AWD version with 300+ hp will be a great help or a hybrid version with the Accord or RLX hybrid engine also can help.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wildeklave
the more I read about the MKC, the more I am impressed. If Lincoln prices the MKC properly, they will definitely eat into the sales of the RDX. The RDX may need a refresh sooner than later to compete. At least they need to add in features that the others offer and the RDX does not. Adding an SH AWD version with 300+ hp will be a great help or a hybrid version with the Accord or RLX hybrid engine also can help.
Ditto. If you haven't already done so, you should spend some time exploring the MKC microsite. The available content is pretty impressive for the class. Some of it's a little gimmicky, like the 'welcome light' pictured below, but some people just love that stuff.

http://www.lincoln.com/crossovers/mk...b-2188b-mkc-ro

Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
since when did Honda put V6's in CR-V's to make them go 0 to 60 in 6.4 seconds flat? nice try....
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLACK RAVEN
since when did Honda put V6's in CR-V's to make them go 0 to 60 in 6.4 seconds flat? nice try....
That's not what I said, is it? The RDX and CR-V share a platform, just like the Escape and MKC. It's common practice, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, without the benefits of platform sharing, the entire Acura division save the upcoming NSX would be non-existent. Sorry if you have some sort of problem with that.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
That's not what I said, is it? The RDX and CR-V share a platform, just like the Escape and MKC. It's common practice, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. In fact, without the benefits of platform sharing, the entire Acura division save the upcoming NSX would be non-existent. Sorry if you have some sort of problem with that.
This is incorrect information. The CR-V only shares a similar AWD system with the RDX and the overall appearance. The CR-V platform is derived from the Civic chassis while the Accord chassis is the basis for the platform which includes the Crosstour and RDX.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GRDX
This is incorrect information. The CR-V only shares a similar AWD system with the RDX and the overall appearance. The CR-V platform is derived from the Civic chassis while the Accord chassis is the basis for the platform which includes the Crosstour and RDX.
Just when I started wondering if I should have saved cash and bought a CRV instead. Thanks for justifying the upgrade

Kidding
Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GRDX
Actually, that is correct information. The RDX and CR-V are both based on the Civic. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but again, it's not a bad thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_RDX
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/au...r-it.html?_r=0
Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Racer

Some pricing info was released for the MKC

base with the weaker engine is $33995
fully loaded with the better engine is in the $47-48k range

I hope now that this info is out that Acura assures they match the features at a similar or better price

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...+Connection%29
Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
question is will that ford based go 200K plus without needing a boatload of repairs?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Racer

if Acura adds the extra features in the MDX / RLX I expect that the RDX will cost 5k more than the current versions and be around the same price as the MKC.

The advanced level of the RLX is 6k higher than the tech level.

For the RLX it gets you:
-bigger tires
-front and rear parking sensors
-collision mitigation
-adaptive cruise control
-lane keeping system
-better seat belts

*** all RLX and MDX models have the new LED headlights while the MKC only offers to the upper trims. Will Acura follow suit and only offer on the RDX Tech and Advanced trims? The headlights are about $500 if not more.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Some first drive reports of the MKC are starting to come in. The early feedback has been mostly positive. I had a chance to spend some time in a pre-production model myself, and I have to say I was quite impressed. The gas tank is too small for me, so I had to go elsewhere. But I think Lincoln has a potential hit on its hands.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...sp_rid=4462167

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-l...all-1585822971
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
configuring one online is the most painful experience ever, its basically like the edge.
I hate when you add a package and it removes or edits another one.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Racer

The Lincoln is a very nice vehicle but....

I think they are making a mistake on a few things-
- size - it is like 3-4 inches shorter in length than many of the compeitors
- MPG - it seems that they will be 1-2 mpg less than the RDX and some of the competition
- price - while the base is cheap, when you add any of the cool up to date features the price sky rockets (a fully loaded Escape may be a better value to some)
- Skid plate - this is my pet peave but why the gray plastic skid plate in back that clashes with the vehicle color. It should be black or matching to the bumper. Mercedes at least has a fake metallic / chrome finish on their skid plates.

Here is the pricing on my build:
-2.3 Eco boost engine (if I wanted the 2.0 I would get the Escape)
-Reserve package - needed for many of the newest features
-Tech package
-climate package

MSRP of about $47k (assume the Invoice is maybe 45k)

We have to see what the RDX shows in 2016 with the update. I am guessing an RDX Advance trim with the newest features will be about $4-6k over the tech trim which brings the MSRP to about $44-46k.

The Lincoln will have a slightly stronger engine with the 2.3 Ecoboost (285 hp and 300 torque) vs Acura's (273hp and 251 torque). Even if the MDX engine is added to the RDX it will have power of 290hp and 267 torque.