Lexus NX instead of an RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
I'm in the same boat as denm316a. I, too, have been considering an RDX for the last couple of months, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Reading about the rear suspension issues in the RDX really makes me hesitate too. I've got an '08 TSX that I still enjoy, and I haven't done a thing to it other than routine maintenance & tires in the 4.5 yrs I've owned it. I'd hate to trade it for a new or cpo rdx and then have to deal with the suspension noises. That would really anger me. It would really take away from the new car experience.

I'll be VERY interested in the Lexus NX when more and more information becomes available and finally when it arrives on dealer lots. I know all new cars can have issues, but I feel as though maybe there's less of a chance with Lexus. That might be naïve of me to say, but we'll see. I like to recent pictures just released. reminds me of a mix between the IS and RX...two of my favorite Lexus vehicles.
I'm with these guys. My wife is interested in the RDX. I dropped off my '11 TSX today for some scheduled maintenance and got an RDX Tech loaner, and there's not much of any real substance that my '04 TSX didn't have 10 years ago! I like the V6 in the RDX, but having to buy the ridiculously priced $3700 tech pack just to get some friggin' HIDs and fog lights is absurd. I've been a loyal H/A buyer for years, but after the let down of the RDX and the TLX (whole new 4cyl powertrain and it's a lousy 9hp more than my current ride? Blech), I think we're shopping elsewhere in the future. Acura used to be the "feature for the money" champ, and now they're taking more stuff out than they're putting in. And when you can get that stuff in an Accord or Hyundai or Kia for so much cheaper, I don't see the point anymore. It's a shame.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree! I dumped my 2013 RDX and my TL is expected to go soon (although that one will be harder)....Bye Bye Acura...we had a few great years
Old 05-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
... the let down of the RDX and the TLX (whole new 4cyl powertrain and it's a lousy 9hp more than my current ride? Blech), ...
The Acura TLX chief enigneer said that the 4cyl TLX is about a second and a half faster 0-60 than the current 4cyl TSX 5AT.
Even if exagerated, a full second faster to 60mph is much more significant than a "lousy 9hp more" may indicate on paper.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the Lexus.

I think the RDX is an ok vehicle, with one major flaw: it is VERY noisy with the Tech package. It has what I like to call "Lawyer Beeps" built in to it. It will beep every time you press a button (I think Acura calls this feedback - I call it a slap in the face). As well, god help you if you live in a rural area like I do. It beeps multiple times every trip to let me know that I have entered, or left an "unverified area".

This noise gets old very quickly. I am a physician and am on call at the local emergency room 8-10 times a month. During night shifts all I want is peace and quiet, and it beeps a minimum of 6 times for each round trip to the ER (a 3 minute drive)! The Nav beeps even if you ignore it (to let you know it has shut off!). Madness.

I've been in contact with the dealership - we'll see if they have anything to offer. My gut tells me I'll lose $6-8k on this car. Stings as I bought it only 4 weeks ago. I have not had any of the other noise issues.

My advice - avoid the aggravation and buy the Lexus. That will probably be my next car (I believe it is available in only a few months).

I'm looking forward to the peace and quiet! (Goodbye, Acura).
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AVanGuy
Buy the Lexus.

I think the RDX is an ok vehicle, with one major flaw: it is VERY noisy with the Tech package. It has what I like to call "Lawyer Beeps" built in to it. It will beep every time you press a button (I think Acura calls this feedback - I call it a slap in the face). As well, god help you if you live in a rural area like I do. It beeps multiple times every trip to let me know that I have entered, or left an "unverified area".

This noise gets old very quickly. I am a physician and am on call at the local emergency room 8-10 times a month. During night shifts all I want is peace and quiet, and it beeps a minimum of 6 times for each round trip to the ER (a 3 minute drive)! The Nav beeps even if you ignore it (to let you know it has shut off!). Madness.

I've been in contact with the dealership - we'll see if they have anything to offer. My gut tells me I'll lose $6-8k on this car. Stings as I bought it only 4 weeks ago. I have not had any of the other noise issues.

My advice - avoid the aggravation and buy the Lexus. That will probably be my next car (I believe it is available in only a few months).

I'm not about to sell the car, but I too have been annoyed with all the beeps. I've searched through settings options looking for a way to turn them off -- or at least limit them -- with no luck.

When my baby is asleep in the car, I find myself wondering how badly I need to do certain functions because I don't want the beeping to wake her up.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by AVanGuy
Buy the Lexus.

Really? I have never even noticed this before. If you are an old man, perhaps you need the ultra quiet Lexus. If you are a Dr. you can likely afford the depreciation hit you are going to take. See ya.
The following users liked this post:
Sculldog3 (06-14-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
That beeping is annoying and should have the option to turn it down or off.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Color Configurator

No pricing, but you can see color and wheel options.

http://www.lexus-int.com/models/NX/

Last edited by HotRodW; 06-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Gen4MDX (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
it is not Acura's style but in this case it would be smart to pre-announce what will be part of the 2016 refresh with a month of release. With the MKC and NX both debuting in the last part of 2014 they risk losing sales if potential buyers don't know what is coming. Those on message boards will know but not the avg Joe or Jane buyer who has a 6 year old vehicle and is stopping by all the dealerships for a new car.
kfhughes (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by wildeklave
it is not Acura's style but in this case it would be smart to pre-announce what will be part of the 2016 refresh with a month of release. With the MKC and NX both debuting in the last part of 2014 they risk losing sales if potential buyers don't know what is coming. Those on message boards will know but not the avg Joe or Jane buyer who has a 6 year old vehicle and is stopping by all the dealerships for a new car.
Then, it will be hard for them to sell the current '15 models on the lot.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I am excited, it looks great to me. Acura needs to take note, this is the way to introduce a new vehicle and get customers excited. They started to do this with the TLX prototype, but then scaled it back to far and are being way to secretive, which is making me lose interest in Acura and seriously consider Lexus. I have been super loyal to honda and Acura since 1988 but it is nice to have other options and what looks to be better options to boot!

Does anyone know where the NX will be built? Japan I am hoping.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 06-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm in for an NX 200t F, if price and engine response is right, I'll go for it, it has the looks already.
Gen4MDX (06-15-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Nice to see they were able to re-cycle the old/current Infiniti FX body style...albeit with a chiseled front end.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
I'm in for an NX 200t F, if price and engine response is right, I'll go for it, it has the looks already.
^^^ This
Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
No pricing, but you can see color and wheel options.

http://www.lexus-int.com/models/NX/

I'm not really digging the way the black plastic around the wheel arch makes the car look like it has huge wheel gaps. Maybe it looks better in person, but it looks cheap and ugly. I like the car in general but I wish they would change this. I do see a picture that shows it has ventilated seats so it checks my squares
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm not really digging the way the black plastic around the wheel arch makes the car look like it has huge wheel gaps. Maybe it looks better in person, but it looks cheap and ugly. I like the car in general but I wish they would change this. I do see a picture that shows it has ventilated seats so it checks my squares
Some cars look OK with the black fender trim, but I prefer most without it. It might have been appropriate to lose them on the sportier F Sport model. In the end, it's not the fender flares but that gaping maw that will keep me away. I actually prefer the look of the standard grille to the F Sport's giant honeycomb screen. I'm sure I'll get used to seeing it, but learning to accept it is far different from growing to like it. I don't see that happening. Ever.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
interesting article discussing the Lexus potential pricing. They predict it will be very similar to the RDX. It still remains to be seen whether that includes all the bells and whistles making it a better value

http://www.torquenews.com/1083/break...nx200t-pricing