Lessons learned from changing 2021 E-450 tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lessons learned from changing 2021 E-450 tire

Background: I hit something on the freeway that severely cut the tread of my tire with vibration symptoms that felt like a tire blowout. The vibration stopped just as I was exiting the freeway less than a mile from the initial symptoms and when I inspected the tires and saw no indication of a problem. But as I reentered the freeway, I got a warning that the left rear tire was at 24 lbs. I watched it as it quickly ticked down to 18 lbs. by the time I exited the freeway at the next exit. I had replaced my original run-flats with standard tires to improve the ride and did not have a spare. I had a 12-volt air compressor and was able to inflate the tire to 34 lbs. to try to make it the 5 miles home. And I was able to get to my exit before having to stop and inflate the tire again. Two more stops to re-inflate the tire and I got the car into my garage without damaging the wheel. I jacked the car using a jack from my other vehicle, removed the wheel and took it to my tire shop to purchase a replacement tire.

Lessons learned:

1. Anyone who does not have run-flats should carry a 12-volt air compressor even if you carry a spare tire.

2. A standard jack handle does not provide adequate torque to loosen the 110 lb. tightened bolts. I had to use a breaker bar and two-foot (pipe) extension with all my strength just to loosen them. If you carry a spare and plan on being able to change a tire you need to check to see if you can even loosen a bolt with whatever jack handle you carry.

3. The tire & wheel is very heavy and extremely difficult to lift to get centered on the wheel shaft and align the bolt holes. I found it impossible to remount the tire until I researched and found that alignment tools (about $10 each online – highly recommended purchasing 2) are almost mandatory. I found implements among my many various tools that were close enough to bolt diameters that I could use for alignment. It still took me almost an hour to mount the tire using the jack to align the wheel height while the car was in my garage. No way I could have done it on the side of the road.