Kona Coffee

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Kona Coffee

Does anyone actually buy that color - people with normal vision that is?
The following users liked this post:
stevesTL (09-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Does anyone actually buy that color - people with normal vision that is?
I don't know about the RDX but I've seen a fair share of Kona Coffee CRV's rolling around the Pacific Northwest.

It's not an appealing color to me but I only like owning white cars.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
I'd prefer 'KONA COFFEE' over 'SNOT GREEN'

Old 11-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I thought this WAS snot green.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Have you ever had Kona Coffee or visited the coffee plant in Kona on the Big Island... good stuff man.
justnspace (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
It is one of those colors that looks amazing in sunlight but awful anywhere else. It is an absolute pain in the ass to keep clean and needs some good work to keep shiny. Overall, on the bottom of my list for RDX colors. Looks like shit compared to fathom blue pearl, slate grey..etc.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Doesn't look bad. Would certainly look better with a female driver. Not crazy about the parchment leather though:

I think the fathom blue pearl is overrated. It goods great in showroom conditions (detailed, proper lighting, etc) but sort of ho-hum in other daily conditions.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
Always great to have the color you explicitly chose get trashed by other owners. Oh, well - I like it a lot. Most folks think it's black since it's so dark, but in the sun it really pops. I don't find it harder to keep clean than any other dark color. And around here it's vastly outnumbered by those running the Basque Red Pearl II - which I find less appealing.

Why did I pick this color? To be different. Plus I saw this video on youtube and thought that it looked really great on those days you shine it up.

Be jealous of my car.

andy

The Dewberry (12-14-2023)
Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yesrdx
Doesn't look bad. Would certainly look better with a female driver. Not crazy about the parchment leather though:

I think the fathom blue pearl is overrated. It goods great in showroom conditions (detailed, proper lighting, etc) but sort of ho-hum in other daily conditions.
I am confused. Isn't that a basque red pearl rdx?

I have a Royal Blue Pearl 07 RDX which is very close to the fathom blue pearl, though a little deeper and slightly lighter and I have to disagree with you. It is far from ho hum and hardly over rated.

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Always great to have the color you explicitly chose get trashed by other owners. Oh, well - I like it a lot. Most folks think it's black since it's so dark, but in the sun it really pops. I don't find it harder to keep clean than any other dark color. And around here it's vastly outnumbered by those running the Basque Red Pearl II - which I find less appealing.

Why did I pick this color? To be different. Plus I saw this video on youtube and thought that it looked really great on those days you shine it up.

Be jealous of my car.

andy

2014 Acura RDX (Kona Coffee) by Advanced Detailing of South Florida - YouTube
I seen this thread and remembered a thread by someone who explicitly wanted kona coffee and I was thinking god I hope he doesn't see this thread. Just like I said, absolutely pops in the sun but a snore fest in the shade. It is one of those colors where you either love it or you hate it. I would not mind it, but it is something I would get bored of after a while and vastly prefer white or silver, grey..,etc. But it is different and to each their own!
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
andysinnh (11-12-2015), kfhughes (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
We have the color and love it every time. My friend was with me for a weekend and he too bought a Kona coffee RDX.
To each his own.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's just color and some like, some don't as people have their own preference. Nothing surprise when there are people who like color that you don't.
My top choice is white and when I saw kona coffee in person, it became my second choice. It's my 2015 as there was no white with tech at that time.
Now with 2016 I was lucky to find a white with advanced. But could be a tough decision if both white and kona were both available as I become like it a bit more after owning it.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I am confused. Isn't that a basque red pearl rdx?
Sorry, I am colorblind.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by yesrdx
Sorry, I am colorblind.
Are you for real?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

When I got my RDX I was torn between the white and the kona, since each is not as popular around here (most are gray, silver, red or black). However, after coming off of a white MDX (and the wife having a white TL) I decided to go the Kona direction this time around. So far, so good. :-)

A comment about color blindness. I'm red-green color blind, thanks to the gene pool on my mother's side. What I have trouble with is telling between reds/greens/browns especially in lower light. Last night's football game between the Jets and the Bills was tricky for me to watch, especially when they panned out, as the colors looked way too close for me. Anyway, at a distance, I can't tell between the Red Basque Pearl and the Kona Coffee, especially on a cloudy day. So it's not surprising someone posted a red thinking it was a brown. But in the sun, you can really tell.

Andy (whose taste you have to question, since a while back I actually owned a gold Pontiac Aztek........)
yesrdx (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Always great to have the color you explicitly chose get trashed by other owners.
I LOL'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you trying to impress strangers on the internet??????????

I buy things for me. If I enjoy the color, who really cares what others think???
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 AM
Pro

Many moons ago I was in the market for a GMC "Jimmy" and one of the colors was, I think, called "Sea Foam" or similar. It was pea soup green, even worse than the "snot green" above. I also remember Pontiacs in a lime green/chartreuse and something called "Pumpkinseed", which was a hurt your eyes orange.

What got me going on the Kona is all of a sudden all the locals have one in or coming. Hadn't seen one yet. Maybe Acura turned out a batch of them?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:50 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

A comment about color blindness. I'm red-green color blind, thanks to the gene pool on my mother's side. What I have trouble with is telling between reds/greens/browns especially in lower light.
So you have trouble distinguishing red from green !!! That would be dangerous since the traffic signals are red / green. How do you watch out for the correct traffic signals while driving?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Comfy
So you have trouble distinguishing red from green !!! That would be dangerous since the traffic signals are red / green. How do you watch out for the correct traffic signals while driving?
I think that's why they always put red on top.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I think that's why they always put red on top.
Agreed. But still there would be some instances where the signals change colors themselves (man walk, etc), other parts of the world...may be.
I think I'm going way off topic here.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Comfy
Agreed. But still there would be some instances where the signals change colors themselves (man walk, etc), other parts of the world...may be.
I think I'm going way off topic here.
It's hard to explain to others who don't have it what red/green color blindness is like. Having lived with it for 58 years, the main thing you learn to do is compensate. But here are some thoughts about what it means.

1. Red/Green color blindness is all about the intensity of the light that's shining on the colors. On a bright sunny day, I can see colors pretty distinctly. Red vs green is pretty darn clear.
2. Back away from the item - or start reducing the level of light (like a cloud passing by the sun), and the ability to discern the difference is less. Things begin to turn to a single color - probably brown-ish is the best way to describe it. And once you can't see the color, you start to "guess" what you're seeing. It ain't a great position to be in.
3. All those colors you see in a bundle of telephone wires? I can see different colors - but many look the same as each other - so a career in wire splicing isn't in my future.
4. Those color tests in books - a bunch of dots with letters or numbers imbedded? I can see about 1/2 of those. Kids in school thought I was just making it up. I wish I was
5. Traffic lights. Actually, red vs green isn't so hard. The green is definitely different than the red - and whether I'd call it green or not - it's so much different than the other colors that it's never a problem. However, the difference between yellow and red is hard for me. When I come to a corner with a flashing yellow light, I have to look real closely to be sure it's not a red flashing light. 3-bulb position helps - but the single bulbs that flash at an intersection can get tricky. I don't know why - I'm not red/yellow color blind - but maybe the red gets washed out in the brightness of the light.

If your not r/g color blind, count your blessings. Yes, I can see colors, but I don't enjoy the differences that others do....

andy
cu2wagon (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:28 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Many thanks for the insight Andy... really appreciate it. Glad that you can appreciate the Kona Coffee color of RDX .
Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I was seriously considering Kona. I think it looks very nice. However... like owning a 2 seat type of car its polarizing and limits re-sale potential.

I've seen many Acuras w/the Kona color and its actually a very nice color.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Pro

Resale is always a consideration in choosing color. There must be stats on which colors sit the longest on lots.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Resale is always a consideration in choosing color. There must be stats on which colors sit the longest on lots.
I would bet anything polarizing sits longest on the lot. But that also changes for some brands, like I personally would not buy a subaru blue rdx, and would consider that too polarizing. But I would easily buy a subaru blue subaru because that is expected and preferred. Same with something like bright red, that is VERY vehicle specific. I really want a bright red car, but if my RDX was available in that color, there is absolutely no chance I would buy it.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Pro

I can just hear the used car manager now: "Gotta knock off a grand or two for that color".

The other side of the coin is that color might not matter much in a resale situation. I'm no expert on used cars but if everything else was just so I wouldn't care too much about color.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Color when buying a new car is a very personal matter and if you like blue, black, chartreuse or Kona is completely immaterial. It depends on how we see that color.

Like Andy, I'm colorblind and I agree with his description. I have no clue if I see "green" the same way Andy (or anyone else) sees green, red or any other color.

Manufacturers spend lots of time figuring out colors but when I buy a car it only matters what I like - and if it is OK with my wife.

On resale, color is far less important than condition. Of course a lime green Rolls won't sell quickly, but the same color in a car marketed to a different demographic may sell just fine. Further, a yellow 'vette may sell great in California but badly in Minnesota. The bottom line is that - unless it is really out of character for the car - color doesn't affect resale as long as it is one of the factory colors and in good condition.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Color when buying a new car is a very personal matter and if you like blue, black, chartreuse or Kona is completely immaterial. It depends on how we see that color.

Like Andy, I'm colorblind and I agree with his description. I have no clue if I see "green" the same way Andy (or anyone else) sees green, red or any other color.

Manufacturers spend lots of time figuring out colors but when I buy a car it only matters what I like - and if it is OK with my wife.

On resale, color is far less important than condition. Of course a lime green Rolls won't sell quickly, but the same color in a car marketed to a different demographic may sell just fine. Further, a yellow 'vette may sell great in California but badly in Minnesota. The bottom line is that - unless it is really out of character for the car - color doesn't affect resale as long as it is one of the factory colors and in good condition.
I think there is a limit in terms of color. Just look up 2011 sand beige kia sorento....I don't know ANYONE who likes that color. I know personally that I would pay 1k more for the same exact car in a more acceptable color. But when I say limit, I am talking about for example I wanted a 1G RDX, I really wanted white or silver, but settled on RBP. Now if the RDX was available in sand beige...you can bet your life I wouldn't touch it with a 5 foot pole and the prices online for used sorentos in that color reflects a 2-4k reduction vs the same car in a different colour.

So I absolutely do think color affects resale value, but it has to be in the extremes. I personally do not see Kona coffee as being a bad color and if in the future I was to buy a 2G rdx, I would buy a kona coffee RDX easily if it was the right price, but if there was white or black, I would take those easily
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I think there is a limit in terms of color. Just look up 2011 sand beige kia sorento....I don't know ANYONE who likes that color. I know personally that I would pay 1k more for the same exact car in a more acceptable color. But when I say limit, I am talking about for example I wanted a 1G RDX, I really wanted white or silver, but settled on RBP. Now if the RDX was available in sand beige...you can bet your life I wouldn't touch it with a 5 foot pole and the prices online for used sorentos in that color reflects a 2-4k reduction vs the same car in a different colour.

So I absolutely do think color affects resale value, but it has to be in the extremes. I personally do not see Kona coffee as being a bad color and if in the future I was to buy a 2G rdx, I would buy a kona coffee RDX easily if it was the right price, but if there was white or black, I would take those easily
That's you. I don't find the white sand beige that offensive. It wouldn't be my first choice but there will be lots of people who think the color is just fine.

Do you have examples of your assertion of the $2-4k difference or was that just a wild guess based upon your opinion of the color?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
That's you. I don't find the white sand beige that offensive. It wouldn't be my first choice but there will be lots of people who think the color is just fine.

Do you have examples of your assertion of the $2-4k difference or was that just a wild guess based upon your opinion of the color?
I would say it is the majority opinion that is is awful. There is a reason Kia discontinued that color after less than a year on the market. But it is obviously personal.

I do not have a current example (i.e the argument isn't important enough for me to waste time looking for 2 like examples in different colors) and it is not an assertion but I have seen it in the past a few times because I was shopping for a 2011 sorento ex v6 and I did find what I wanted but it was that sand beige color and the only reason I could afford it at the time was because it was 2-3k less than comparables in that color. I ultimately decided against it because of that color.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Pro

Keep track of what you see at the dealer. Black is big, and white. Then grey and silver. Fewer blue and red. Kona rare. There must be some stats, Acura certainly has some clue as to ratios for production purposes. Or, are they just doing what the dealers ask for?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Keep track of what you see at the dealer. Black is big, and white. Then grey and silver. Fewer blue and red. Kona rare. There must be some stats, Acura certainly has some clue as to ratios for production purposes. Or, are they just doing what the dealers ask for?
Makes sense though right. Why would the dealer want less popular colors on the lot which they would then have to put incentives on if they don't sell for months. Automakers in general try and pick less polar colors, this usually ends up in drab color selections for most vehicles.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Makes sense though right. Why would the dealer want less popular colors on the lot which they would then have to put incentives on if they don't sell for months. Automakers in general try and pick less polar colors, this usually ends up in drab color selections for most vehicles.
From KBB. You'll note that "brown" (Kona?) is in the top ten in all segments.

Top Three Overall Colors
Looking at the top overall popular colors in the U.S., for all vehicle categories, silver leads the way with white in close second, followed by black.

1. Silver - 23%
  2. White - 15%
  3. Black - 12%
Popular Colors for SUV/Minivans/Light Trucks
SUVs, Minivans and Light Trucks, which make up 50.9% of the new vehicle market, are unique from all other categories in that white is the preferred color for these vehicles. This has been the case for more than 10 years. Silver and black round out the top three color choices and medium/dark gray advanced 5% last year to take fifth place.

1. White - 19.3%
  2. Silver - 18%
  3. Black - 12.4%
  4. Med. Dark Blue - 11.4%
  5. Med. Dark Gray - 7.5%
  6. Med. Red - 7.1%
  7. Med. Dark Green - 6.7%
  8. Light Brown - 5.1%
  9. Bright Red - 4.5%
  10. Gold - 1.8%
Popular Colors for Luxury
Silver is the main color of choice for Luxury vehicles, which make up 8.6% of the car market. Silver rose nearly 14% in one year's time in this category resulting in a whopping one-third of all Luxury vehicles sporting silver tones. Two variations of white made up another 30% of this category, leaving the remaining colors to round out the mix. An interesting observation is that black, which was once the premier color for luxury vehicles, has hit its lowest mark in years at 8.5%.

1. Silver - 32.1%
  2. White Metallic - 17.7%
  3. White - 11.8%
  4. Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  5. Black - 8.5%
  6. Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  7. Med. Red - 6%
  8. Gold - 3%
  9. Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  10. Light Brown - 1.7%
Popular Colors for Sedans, Wagons and Hatchbacks
Passenger vehicles, which include sedans, wagons and hatchbacks, make up 26.4% of the current new car market. In this category, silver accounted for about 28% increasing 3% in one year. Light brown, the sixth most popular color in 2001, jumped to third place at 11.6% in this category, just behind second place white. Med/dark gray joined the top ten colors at seventh place with 6.2% of the color choices.

1. Silver - 28.1%
  2. White - 11.8%
  3. Light Brown - 11.6%
  4. Black - 11.2%
  5. Med Dk Blue - 9.5%
  6. Med Red - 7.6%
  7. Med. Dark Gray - 6.2%
  8. Med Dark Green - 5.3%
  9. Gold - 3.4%
  10. Dark Red - 2.6%
Popular Colors for Convertibles and Coupes
This category makes up 14.1% of the current new vehicle market. Silver, black and medium/dark blue respectively held on to the top three spots for favorite color. Medium dark gray made significant gains, jumping to sixth place with 6.7% up from tenth place.

1. Silver - 24.6%
  2. Black - 14.3%
  3. Med Dark Blue - 12.9%
  4. White - 8.8%
  5. Bright Red - 6.9%
  6. Med. Dark Gray - 6.7%
  7. Med. Red - 5.5%
  8. Light Brown - 4.3%
  9. Gold - 4.1%
  10. Dark Red - 2.6%
Because there are always exceptions, it's good to remember that certain colors look better on specific vehicles, for instance, a little yellow convertible is much more desirable than a bright yellow minivan. In many cases, we can only speculate on the affect color will have on your bottom line. Because at the end of the day, only you can answer the question: "What's your favorite color?"
Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting. I'm about to purchase an RDX. My preferred color is Kona, yet not a single dealer in my areas has a Kona RDX in stock
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnhart
Interesting. I'm about to purchase an RDX. My preferred color is Kona, yet not a single dealer in my areas has a Kona RDX in stock
Just checked our local dealer, Marin Acura. Only one Kona (AWD Tech) out of the 26 RDXs listed.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dbarnhart

Have your guy check incoming stock. You want it, they'll find it.

Last edited by dirleton; 11-15-2015 at 10:34 PM.