HFL / Android Phone Quality Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
HFL / Android Phone Quality Issue

Curious if anyone else has my phone issue...when using the built in phone with my HTC One X android phone, everyone on the other end complains of poor voice quality. I can hear them fine, but everyone has universally panned the quality of my voice coming thru to them. I tried turning down the bluetooth volume on the handset, that seemed to help, but just a bit. I hear there was a TSB for the HFL that may have included relief of some type for android phones, but i have been unable to get into the TSB link that was provided in another post. Can anyone who was able to read that TSB pls advise what it may mention re: android phone fix(s)....many thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the HTC One X as well, do you use custom ROMs?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
TSB 12-034

Addresses distorted voice tags

random BT connect and disconnects

iphone volume lowering randomly

Android SMS "reply to message" fails

Sms message list fails

TSB dated 12/21/12
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Do you ever power cycle your phone?

I use the Nexus 4, as does my wife. When I got the Nexus I called her using the HFL while she was driving our Mercedes. The bluetooth in the Benz has always had an echo and bad quality sound. With the new phones the echo was gone, but her voice sounded robotic or electronic. She reported the same of how I sounded to her. Since that time, the phones have received updates to 4.2.1 and the robot sound is gone. I suspect you have a phone software issue. What version of android are you running?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AmberB
Do you ever power cycle your phone?

I use the Nexus 4, as does my wife. When I got the Nexus I called her using the HFL while she was driving our Mercedes. The bluetooth in the Benz has always had an echo and bad quality sound. With the new phones the echo was gone, but her voice sounded robotic or electronic. She reported the same of how I sounded to her. Since that time, the phones have received updates to 4.2.1 and the robot sound is gone. I suspect you have a phone software issue. What version of android are you running?
My HTC is running 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich). Upgrade to Jelly Bean has been promised but still waiting (delay believed to be with AT&T). But question: if calling just handset to handset with folks is fine (as it is), and complaints only come when i call thru the RDX, wouldn't that indict the HFLink system somewhat?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by C0rrion
I have the HTC One X as well, do you use custom ROMs?
no...not even sure what that is...
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stump
My HTC is running 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich). Upgrade to Jelly Bean has been promised but still waiting (delay believed to be with AT&T). But question: if calling just handset to handset with folks is fine (as it is), and complaints only come when i call thru the RDX, wouldn't that indict the HFLink system somewhat?
Possibly, Calling handset to handset you aren't using the handset's bluetooth...so while it could be the HFL it could also be the handset. Since others here don't have your problem using a different android phone it's likely the handset you are having an issue with.

maybe you could pair a friend's android phone to your car and see it it persists?

Last edited by AmberB; 02-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM

no...not even sure what that is...
he's referring to gaining administrative access (root) and installing a custom built android operating system. Android is open source so the savvy programmer types grab the base code and modify it to create something new, often with increased function over what the phone came with.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
he's referring to gaining administrative access (root) and installing a custom built android operating system. Android is open source so the savvy programmer types grab the base code and modify it to create something new, often with increased function over what the phone came with.
AmberB nailed it. I experienced the same problem as you, Stump, but there were so many factors with my scenario that it was hard to pinpoint whether or not it was due to the RDX. A few calls to my brother was all garbled while he was in his car and I was in my car, but both he and I had custom ROMs running on our HTC One X. We have since switched to different ROMs, and have not experienced the problem, but I couldn't conclude whether that was the actual fix.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Am convinced the culprit is my HTC One android phone not playing nice with HFL, or visey versy. Took the rig into Acura today, the paired up an iPhone and quality was fine. Recently upgraded to Jellybean operating system, no change.

The HFL TSB does not address the issue experienced, namely receiver complaints of poor audio quality from my Acura HFL.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Am convinced the culprit is my HTC One android phone not playing nice with HFL, or visey versy. Took the rig into Acura today, the paired up an iPhone and quality was fine. Recently upgraded to Jellybean operating system, no change.

The HFL TSB does not address the issue experienced, namely receiver complaints of poor audio quality from my Acura HFL.
I think I read that the RDX runs Bluetooth v. 4. Wonder what BT version your phone has? I'd think Jellybean would have fixed it, but do you have 4.2.1 or 4.2.2?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM

By some accounts Jellybean still has less than perfect bluetooth function on 4.2.2 so it doesn't make much difference. Maybe the problem is specific to your handset?