Fuel Filter change

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Fuel Filter change

Has any one changed the fuel filter on RDX 2015? I think it is in the tank. I'm considering to replace it as I get a low mileage recently. But am not sure where it is exactly located or what the change procedure is.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:50 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
the fuel filter is a sock filter attached to the fuel pump.
under normal circumstances (using premium fuels), one wouldnt need to change it very often or even at all.
the fuel pump sits inside of the fuel tank and can be pulled out, if one really wanted to change the sock filter.

on most cars, the fuel pump is located underneath the rear seats. directly where the fuel tank would be.

have you considered the 02 sensors?
lazy 02 sensors can cause horrible MPGs

Last edited by justnspace; 07-05-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:03 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
doing a little bit more research, it seems as tho the sock is the pre-filter. the actual filter would be embedded into the fuel pump. which there is no way to replace it without damaging the fuel pump casing.
so, in order to change the fuel filter...one would need to change the fuel pump. and that just seems like a waste of money, unless your pump is going out.

I would look into the 02 sensor theory.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:33 AM
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 113 Posts
These vehicles are just fancy Honda's, they do not need to be fussed over as you seem to be predisposed to do.
If you want to do more, change the trans fluid (normal drain & fill) every other oil change. You know, once the oil life reaches 15%.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
doing a little bit more research, it seems as tho the sock is the pre-filter. the actual filter would be embedded into the fuel pump. which there is no way to replace it without damaging the fuel pump casing. so, in order to change the fuel filter...one would need to change the fuel pump. and that just seems like a waste of money, unless your pump is going out.
I would look into the 02 sensor theory.
Yeah that's my understanding as well. The fuel filter is an integral part of the pump. So that is out of question because I only use premium.

On the O2 sensor, I have another thread for it but no one replied. The car has 85K miles on it and I think it is almost the time to replace the O2 sensors. Tried a couple of days ago but the O2 socket I have almost stripped the sensor bolt. So it seems that the socket has spread and was no linger holding tight enough. Today, something jumped into my mind and I thought why not trying it. With a propane torch I heated the socket to a red point and then used my wise to narrow the gap. It worked out well and the socket now sits very tight on the sensor. So I will try to remove the rust around it and apply good amount of penetrating oil and then try to remove it. This is my last resort, so God be with me

Old 07-06-2021, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by egads
These vehicles are just fancy Honda's, they do not need to be fussed over as you seem to be predisposed to do.
If you want to do more, change the trans fluid (normal drain & fill) every other oil change. You know, once the oil life reaches 15%.
I have been changing AFT every 30K miles religiously.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
the fuel filter is a sock filter attached to the fuel pump.
under normal circumstances (using premium fuels), one wouldnt need to change it very often or even at all.
the fuel pump sits inside of the fuel tank and can be pulled out, if one really wanted to change the sock filter.

on most cars, the fuel pump is located underneath the rear seats. directly where the fuel tank would be.

have you considered the 02 sensors?
lazy 02 sensors can cause horrible MPGs
You are wrong, the sock is coarse filtration, and after the pump there is a fine filter, it is sealed in a plastic container and needs to be replaced every 100-150k miles.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by emry
Has any one changed the fuel filter on RDX 2015? I think it is in the tank. I'm considering to replace it as I get a low mileage recently. But am not sure where it is exactly located or what the change procedure is.
I changed in TL on 160k miles (price $ 80) the filter was black and clogged. When I found out that what costs $ 125 for RDX, I bought a low mileage, used pump assembly for $ 50)

Last edited by altair47; 07-07-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Altair47: So you are going to replace your working fuel pump with a used fuel pump? If the fuel pump was the issue, it would cause starting and drivability issues; not just "poor" gas mileage.

Emry: What is the gas mileage you are getting? I thought I was getting bad gas mileage in my 2017 Tech, then I analyzed my driving. I go to the gym 4 times a week and it's a mile away (yeah, I should walk or jog there....). I'm getting 10 mpg for that trip. I drive a lot in town with stop signs and stop lights. but it also can sit for 2 days if I work from home. I know I am not getting the "city" mileage that the EPA says I should get. I do a little highway driving but nothing long and sustained. That may change as we head back to the office. I'm happy with the 21+ mpg my car has registered since late November.

I bought my RDX used in late September. I didn't like the gas mileage I was getting but remember that the car had learned the original owner "driving habits". I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes. Not sure it made a difference but I'm ok with the 21+ mpg the computer is logging knowing it's based on my driving and not the original owner. That is based on about 8000+ miles of driving.

Give it a try.

If I could expand the gas tank by 2 gallons......
Old 07-07-2021, 11:40 AM
Pro

Also check the tire pressures. This has been the primary cause of poor fuel mileage in all my vehicles. Remember stone cold in the morning before
being driven. You can also up the pressures a bit. I have been using 38lbs. all around. Here in California (other places maybe)
there is a different fuel formula used in the summer that also results in lower fuel economy.

Also, see your doctor about medications for OCD.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dtownfb
Altair47: So you are going to replace your working fuel pump with a used fuel pump? If the fuel pump was the issue, it would cause starting and drivability issues; not just "poor" gas mileage.

Emry: What is the gas mileage you are getting? I thought I was getting bad gas mileage in my 2017 Tech, then I analyzed my driving. I go to the gym 4 times a week and it's a mile away (yeah, I should walk or jog there....). I'm getting 10 mpg for that trip. I drive a lot in town with stop signs and stop lights. but it also can sit for 2 days if I work from home. I know I am not getting the "city" mileage that the EPA says I should get. I do a little highway driving but nothing long and sustained. That may change as we head back to the office. I'm happy with the 21+ mpg my car has registered since late November.

I bought my RDX used in late September. I didn't like the gas mileage I was getting but remember that the car had learned the original owner "driving habits". I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes. Not sure it made a difference but I'm ok with the 21+ mpg the computer is logging knowing it's based on my driving and not the original owner. That is based on about 8000+ miles of driving.

Give it a try.

If I could expand the gas tank by 2 gallons......
No, I bought a used fuel pump just in case, I'll put it in the garage on the shelf because the original drove 170k miles and soon it should break. I don't want to get stuck hundreds of miles away from home
Old 07-07-2021, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by altair47
I changed in TL on 160k miles (price $ 80) the filter was black and clogged. When I found out that what costs $ 125 for RDX, I bought a low mileage, used pump assembly for $ 50)
Fuel pump is a too critical part on car. I wouldn't risk putting a used one on it. This is one of those parts that you should not save on it and get a quality one.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtownfb
I am getting 27MPG on highway and long haul but it used to be 32 or sometimes even 34 MPG easily. City driving gives me 23MPG but it used to be around 26 or not lower than 25. Thus I am seeking the cause of this drop.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Also check the tire pressures. This has been the primary cause of poor fuel mileage in all my vehicles. Remember stone cold in the morning before
being driven. You can also up the pressures a bit. I have been using 38lbs. all around. Here in California (other places maybe)
there is a different fuel formula used in the summer that also results in lower fuel economy.
I check the tire pressure on a bi-weekly basis and always maintain 40 psi on all 4 tires.

Also, see your doctor about medications for OCD.
The gas prices have left me with no money for that medication. Now you know why I'm trying to get a higher MPG again.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Fuel pump is a too critical part on car. I wouldn't risk putting a used one on it. This is one of those parts that you should not save on it and get a quality one.
The fuel pump is not as critical as the timing belt. Consider me cheap, but I'd rather buy a 3 year old OEM Acura fuel pump with 50k miles for $ 50 than buy a new one OEM Acura for $ 400
Old 07-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Instructor

The fuel pump is not as critical as the timing belt. Consider me cheap, but I'd rather buy a 3 year old OEM Acura fuel pump with 50k miles for $ 50 than buy a new one OEM Acura for $ 400
Well, critical in a sense that if it fails the car simply is stranded. Check rockauto, they have very affordable ones.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, critical in a sense that if it fails the car simply is stranded. Check rockauto, they have very affordable ones.
Rockauto offers aftermarket garbage for $370 or Delphi for $500

Old 07-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I am getting 27MPG on highway and long haul but it used to be 32 or sometimes even 34 MPG easily. City driving gives me 23MPG but it used to be around 26 or not lower than 25. Thus I am seeking the cause of this drop.
Fuel pump cannot be a cause for low gas mileage. If at full throttle, you don't have enough power to accelerate on the freeway by passing the other vehicle, this can be either fuel pump or fuel filter, as they don't deliver enough fuel to your engine.
The following users liked this post:
altair47 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clickit02
Fuel pump cannot be a cause for low gas mileage. If at full throttle, you don't have enough power to accelerate on the freeway by passing the other vehicle, this can be either fuel pump or fuel filter, as they don't deliver enough fuel to your engine.
I was talking about about a possible dirty or clogged fuel filter. The pump itself has nothing to do wit MPG as I mentioned in my earlier post it only may cause the car not starting.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Rockauto offers aftermarket garbage for $370 or Delphi for $500
You are looking at wrong section. It is the complete housing assembly that's why it is higher. Look in the Fuel Pump section. It is out of stock now but I checked a few days ago and it was around $45.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

You are looking at wrong section. It is the complete housing assembly that's why it is higher. Look in the Fuel Pump section. It is out of stock now but I checked a few days ago and it was around $45.
What's the point of changing the fuel pump separately for $ 45 without changing the filter, if you can buy a housing assembly used original Acura OEM with low mileage for $ 50?
Old 07-11-2021, 04:19 PM
Pro

Fuel pumps don't work on Hondas because of failed solder on the main relay under the dash. That is a part worth having around.
Once the vehicle is into it's second 100k.

Fuel mileage: Check tire pressures. Cold, stone cold in the morning. And the next morning if the vehicle has been serviced anywhere.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:55 PM
Instructor

What's the point of changing the fuel pump separately for $ 45 without changing the filter, if you can buy a housing assembly used original Acura OEM with low mileage for $ 50?
It's up to you if you want to trust a used critical part. I don't. I prefer to use new parts unless it's a bumper or fender.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Fuel pumps don't work on Hondas because of failed solder on the main relay under the dash. That is a part worth having around.
Once the vehicle is into it's second 100k.
Interesting! Where exactly that relay is located? Does it have a specific number?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting! Where exactly that relay is located? Does it have a specific number?
If this relay is broken, then the car will not start, if your car starts, then everything is fine with the relay.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
Maybe it's time you circled back to this thread This is how to get high MPG from your RDX Are you still doing everything you advocated then?
Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjrphs
Maybe it's time you circled back to this thread This is how to get high MPG from your RDX Are you still doing everything you advocated then?
I cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the sparkplugs. The MPG has improved drastically.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
I cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the sparkplugs. The MPG has improved drastically.
Could you quantify "drastically?" I'm also curious how you calculate your MPG? Are you going by the RDX's "dreammeter" or performing a manual calculation at fill-up? I ask because Acura rates the 15 RDX-AWD at 27MPG HWY and 19MPG CTY. Your MPG #'s better the factory ratings by 26% & 36% respectively...which I personally find incredible.

Are you sure you're not dropping in other MPG / HP boosters such as split-fire plugs, intake vortex generator, fuel line magnets or tuned your VCM to drop to one cylinder?
Old 07-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jjrphs
Could you quantify "drastically?" I'm also curious how you calculate your MPG? Are you going by the RDX's "dreammeter" or performing a manual calculation at fill-up? I ask because Acura rates the 15 RDX-AWD at 27MPG HWY and 19MPG CTY. Your MPG #'s better the factory ratings by 26% & 36% respectively...which I personally find incredible.

Are you sure you're not dropping in other MPG / HP boosters such as split-fire plugs, intake vortex generator, fuel line magnets or tuned your VCM to drop to one cylinder?
This is possible, if you constantly drive on a horizontal road without stopping at a speed of 55-60 miles per hour, then the on-board computer can show up to 35-40 MPG. But who drives like that?
Old 07-31-2021, 08:07 PM
Instructor

This is possible, if you constantly drive on a horizontal road without stopping at a speed of 55-60 miles per hour, then the on-board computer can show up to 35-40 MPG. But who drives like that?
I do! Actually last week I drove 500 miles on cruise at a steady 70 MPH and got 32 MPG for the whole trip. On the return back I got 31 MPG. So the trick of getting high MPG is driving not faster than 70 and be on the cruise. Any other mode will impact the efficiency.