Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
A few minor gripes so far

A few minor gripes with the RDX.
Hard plastics in the interior.
No light flashing when remote started.
No LED fogs
Not very quiet on highway.
Seems all Honda product ride a bit harsh and aren't very quiet on the highway compared to Lexus.Maybe the RLX?

Big gripe is the noise of rear suspension over bigger type bumps.Loud,hard and annoying.Dealer says it's normal.
I'm glad I leased because if I bought,I wouldn't be happy about that issue.
Leasing is much less,if any OCD.

On the plus side is the size,handling,power,OK sound system,voice recognition is pretty good,comfortable seats,LED light output,I like the tech,decent value.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
yeah, we traded in a 12 for a 16 ADV AWD one, it is a bit quieter, but still not as quiet as it should be, but for around $40k with all the toys and gadgets, it's hard to beat. you can replace the fog lights to Morimoto LED for around $170, it is a straight forward swap. I might 'dynamat' the rear wheel wells and the trunk area.

does anyone know if we can check to see if ANC is on or is it even adjustable? I can even find this feature in the owner's manual.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by richardyc
yeah, we traded in a 12 for a 16 ADV AWD one, it is a bit quieter, but still not as quiet as it should be, but for around $40k with all the toys and gadgets, it's hard to beat. you can replace the fog lights to Morimoto LED for around $170, it is a straight forward swap. I might 'dynamat' the rear wheel wells and the trunk area.

does anyone know if we can check to see if ANC is on or is it even adjustable? I can even find this feature in the owner's manual.

Are you getting that loud thump and other type noise too with the rear suspension over certain bumps?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I might 'dynamat' the rear wheel wells and the trunk area.
I did that as well as the inside of the lift gate on my 2013 RDX. It didn't help. The problem is related to the way the rear shocks attach to the body and the lack of proper isolation. The noise you are hearing is the sound of the suspension being amplified in that big boxy resonance chamber of a car body.

I had some minor success with modified shock mounts that used a softer durometer rubber. Eventually I tired of trying to make the RDX quiet and just bought something that is.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by colt427
Are you getting that loud thump and other type noise too with the rear suspension over certain bumps?

not that I am aware of, my wife is the primary driver, I only get to drive it on the weekends. I drove it back from the dealership that's almost an hour away (mostly smooth highway), I didn't hear any weird noise from the rear suspension area. I will definitely keep an ear out for it. my car's build date was 1/16, when was yours?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
16's shouldn't have the rear shock problem. I heard it with a '15 loaner but never heard it in a number of '16 test drives. My '16 doesn't have the issue either.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Racer

not that I am aware of, my wife is the primary driver, I only get to drive it on the weekends. I drove it back from the dealership that's almost an hour away (mostly smooth highway), I didn't hear any weird noise from the rear suspension area. I will definitely keep an ear out for it. my car's build date was 1/16, when was yours?

12/15 build.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Mine is 11/15. Drives significantly better then 13-15 also. Very good for what it is. My TSX was a lot more fun though...
Old 04-08-2016, 10:04 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2016 has the same loud rear thunk. Scared the sh*t out of me at first. Then I realized it's the same exact sound that our 2015 civic makes.
Other than that, my only driving gripe would be the wind noise at higher speeds. I find myself constantly checking to make sure all the windows are up.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by uberyk
My 2016 has the same loud rear thunk. Scared the sh*t out of me at first. Then I realized it's the same exact sound that our 2015 civic makes.
Other than that, my only driving gripe would be the wind noise at higher speeds. I find myself constantly checking to make sure all the windows are up.
and the '16 is said to have a improved rear suspension.Imagine how bad the '13-'15 RDX rear suspension noise is.....wow!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Advanced

No rear thunk in mine after 2700mi. This was supposed to be addressed and corrected in the 16. Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. If you have it on a 16 you should get it fixed.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cudfoo
No rear thunk in mine after 2700mi. This was supposed to be addressed and corrected in the 16. Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. If you have it on a 16 you should get it fixed.
Dealer service allegedly checked the rear suspension and found nothing wrong.
What a surprise!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-18-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Racer

6 weeks and 1200 miles later,I haven't had the hard hit loud bang and I assume I would have hit the same bumps that caused it earlier.
Seems like the rear suspension softened up a bit.
Possible?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
6 weeks and 1200 miles later,I haven't had the hard hit loud bang and I assume I would have hit the same bumps that caused it earlier.
Seems like the rear suspension softened up a bit.
Possible?
Not sure where you're located, but with things warming up, the sound is louder when it's colder outside and barely noticeable when things get warmer. For the first 9 months I had my '15 RDX I thought people who were complaining about the rear suspension noise were crazy. Then my first winter hit and I knew exactly what they were talking about. Now that it's spring here in NH, the sound is hardly noticeable again.

Aside from Acura figuring out this is a real problem, the solution is to get the KYB shocks that others have spoken about in other forums. It has better mounting bushings on the top shock mount which seems to solve the problem...

andy
Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Dealer service allegedly checked the rear suspension and found nothing wrong.
What a surprise!
not to poke fun, but I lol'd() when I read this.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Not sure where you're located, but with things warming up, the sound is louder when it's colder outside and barely noticeable when things get warmer. For the first 9 months I had my '15 RDX I thought people who were complaining about the rear suspension noise were crazy. Then my first winter hit and I knew exactly what they were talking about. Now that it's spring here in NH, the sound is hardly noticeable again.

Aside from Acura figuring out this is a real problem, the solution is to get the KYB shocks that others have spoken about in other forums. It has better mounting bushings on the top shock mount which seems to solve the problem...

andy

I'm Jersey and have the RDX about 8 weeks but it wasn't really cold 7-8 weeks ago but colder than now no doubt.
I heard the bang about a week or two in.
Possible a bushing was out a bit and set in now?It seemed the passenger side had the louder noise.

I leased and will not change the shocks.I can deal with the bang and hard hit if it comes back because it's a lease.If I owned,then I'd be really pissed.

Originally Posted by justnspace
not to poke fun, but I lol'd() when I read this.
Dealer typical response and I know my service adviser!I've owned Lexus models for over 10 years and he was with Lexus and my SA.
I don't like the new Lexus styling so I went Acura.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Hard plastic in interior: Every car has some, including my friend's Mercedes and BMW. There's also a lot of soft touch material in the interior. It's a decent interior.

No light flashing when remote started: this is a good thing. Thieves won't notice your car starting at night with no one inside.

LED fogs--there's an option to upgrade to LED fogs (in Canada anyways).

Not very quiet on the highway: there is some wind noise. It's not as quiet as a Lexus but it's not that bad.

There is no rear suspension noise, at least not on mine.

Sound system--do you have the ELS sound system? In the fully loaded model, you get the ELS sound system. It's not just okay, it's AMAZING. Feels like you're at the symphony.

A few minor gripes with the RDX.
Hard plastics in the interior.
No light flashing when remote started.
No LED fogs
Not very quiet on highway.
Seems all Honda product ride a bit harsh and aren't very quiet on the highway compared to Lexus.Maybe the RLX?

Big gripe is the noise of rear suspension over bigger type bumps.Loud,hard and annoying.Dealer says it's normal.
I'm glad I leased because if I bought,I wouldn't be happy about that issue.
Leasing is much less,if any OCD.

On the plus side is the size,handling,power,OK sound system,voice recognition is pretty good,comfortable seats,LED light output,I like the tech,decent value.