Edge, Murano, RDX....opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge, Murano, RDX....opinions please

We are expecting our first baby at the end of the summer and are looking into a new suv. For those of you with little ones, how does the RDX hold up? the cargo area is a little smaller so I was wondering how it handles in the real world. I understand not too many have the 2013 at this point but appreciate any input you can give.

Would you even put the Murano or Edge in the same category? I have to say I'm not a big fan of the Murano's look but they do offer a few more options for the same price. That being said, I did test drive the new RDX and really liked the ride.

It's also hard to consider American made at this point as well. We have a 2004 Accord coupe w/165k on it and no issues (unless you consider how impossible it will be to get an infant seat in and out)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I only looked at the edge a year or 2 ago. When I added nav plus HIDs the price went up to like 49k. I laughed and walked out.

We are expecting end of July and felt the RDX has enough room to get the job done
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
unless you can get $5000+ discount on Murano, go with the RDX... I tested both, and I end up with RDX... back seats space are similar, little smaller cargo, but still good enough for me... Much more sporty compare to the CVT on Murano!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I've only driven the new RDX, and don't have any kids, but for the money, the Edge is far more "optionable" than the RDX. I also like the looks of the Edge. As for the Murano, I could never get past its looks to buy it... but that's just me.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
For the record, there's about a 90% chance that your Accord was made in America
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM
8th Gear

thanks for the replies. With the Nissan sales event going on I can get 5,000.00 off on the Murano which is the dilemma right now. A loaded LE w/platinum pkg is 38k, just a tad under the RDX.

I do agree though, it's hard to get used to that cvt. Acura is obviously the front runner for me, just trying to make an informed decision.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Aman
For the record, there's about a 90% chance that your Accord was made in America
Really? my first post and this is your response?

For the record, my vin has JHM so I guess I fall into the 10% that was 'made' in Japan.

I didn't know I had to be so formal, I guess I should have said engineered in Japan, but then you might have come back with the engineers work at Honda of America.

Either way you understood my point but thanks for attempting to get one up on me.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I may be the perfect person to answer this question. I had a murrano for 4 years, loved it but it was too big for my parking situation, so I switched to the 2008 Rdx, then 2010 Rdx and now my parking situation has changed and was considering going back to the murrano.
I liked the smooth ride of the murrano and more cargo room. We just had our first child 2 months ago and it was a tight fit with the baby car seat, the front passenger seat had to be pretty far forward. I was fooling around with the idea of getting another murrano unti the 2013 Rdx came out. It's truly the best of all worlds. The baby seat now fits with no problems and easy to get in the back door. The murrano seems a bit more of a utility vehicle with wide seats and an openness to it, where as the Rdx has more of a form fit to it if that makes any sense. I drove the edge before settling on thr Rdx a while ago and could help but laugh at the interior. It was like an old mans car. I have seen them more recently and they have seemed to improved the interior quite a bit but I couldn't bring myself to buy a ford ( the edge is actually made about an hour away from where I live too).
In any case, I've had the 2013 Rdx for about a week now with 3 days at the cottage (a 3 hour drive with the 2 month old) and found it to be great for our family. Really nice vehicle. I think you would be happier with it than with the murrano, forget the edge.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Congrats on the pending arrival btw. It'll change your life in the best way possible!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by pivotalrex

For the record, my vin has JHM so I guess I fall into the 10% that was 'made' in Japan.

I didn't know I had to be so formal, I guess I should have said engineered in Japan, but then you might have come back with the engineers work at Honda of America.

Either way you understood my point but thanks for attempting to get one up on me.
I think he was just trying to be helpful. Only your 3rd post and you are picking a fight?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I think he was just trying to be helpful. Only your 3rd post and you are picking a fight?
*lmao* I get a kick on how witty some of the Acurazine members are.

PivotalRex....Don't worry, I don't think it was intended to be an attack but simply an observation. The problem with forums is that sometime, the message can come out the wrong unintentionally. Enjoy Acurazine, we are a good bunch of people who like to tease and help each other.

Last edited by weather; 05-15-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Test drive both and then you will be able to decide. I had a new edge as a rental and I was really impressed. It had really good power, handling, technology, and quality that was outstanding. Even though the prices may be similar there are much more incentives and negotiating power with the edge. Check truecar.com before going to the dealership to get an idea. The rdx is very nice but there is more demand vs supply right now so it is hard to get a good deal. Its a good situation for Acura, similar to Audi for most of its inventory. Best of luck for your car search and new child!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the Murano LE is one of the most comfortable CUVs around. The level of luxury is higher than the RDX, and at least IMO, really outdoes the RDX in terms of comfort, features and appeal on the inside.

exterior, i think they both fall short from desirable. The RDX is rather plain and boring. The Murno's grille is terrible, but i find the rims and rear much more attractive than the goes-unnoticed RDX.

for me, it would be weighing luxury & comfort vs a better driving 6 speed. The Murano LE has amenities galore over a fully loaded RDX, to name a few are rear heated seats, dual sunroofs, rear HVAC, reclining rear seats, heated steering wheel w/power tilt/telescope & memory, and power returning rear seats when folded down, etc.

So id say - what do you value more?

Last edited by MMike1981; 05-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
8th Gear

Thanks again for your replies. GTGT and MMIke1981, you've given me some valid points to consider other than just the obvious that the Murano is larger than the RDX.

I've driven all three, like the handling of the RDX, the Edge had some blind spot issues, and the Murano I drove stuttered when pulling out of the dealers lot. It drove fine after that but can make someone that's on the fence not appreciate the cvt.

Ultimately it'll come down to space, ride, and the wife's preference. Although I've never been a fan of the Murano's look, my wife actually likes the look.

And I appreciate the well wishes on our first child.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Forgot to mention the Murrano cvt. blahhhhh. Many times while passing on the smaller roads going up to friends cottages, the cvt bales on you. It's kinda like an eternal turbo lag. Seriously, I had to bail out when trying to pass someone because the engine wouldn't go. I can't believe they at still sticking to that cvt. I hope they have improved on it in the last 4 years.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The Murano might undergo a full redesign for '14 model year. So if you get it right now, it will look outdated in about 2 years.

Personally I'm a big fan of the features you can get on a Murano (especially if you get the Platinum LE edition). But the design just feels too feminine for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't side with the Murano at all because my a$$ still stings from all my reliability and electronic issues in my past G35, plus I don't think the Murano is much of a looker. We are expecting a baby also, which promted the search. My wife reluctantly agreed to look at the Ford Edge (she had been burned by a Ford Focus she owned before), and we both agreed it just felt like a loaner or rental car, not something to own. As far as the RDX goes, now that is has a power operated hatch, hands down winner!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation, soon to be wife's Forester HAS to go. We're planning to add a child asap, and she already has a 9 year old. How is the legroom in the '13 RDX compaired to the Murano? I typicially drive with the seat all the way back, is there any legroom with the seat like that? I was considering a '13 Pilot based on space, but there seems to be a lot of complaints about some kind of buzzing harmonics at highway speeds.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MWalsh9152
I'm kinda in the same situation, soon to be wife's Forester HAS to go. We're planning to add a child asap, and she already has a 9 year old. How is the legroom in the '13 RDX compaired to the Murano? I typicially drive with the seat all the way back, is there any legroom with the seat like that? I was considering a '13 Pilot based on space, but there seems to be a lot of complaints about some kind of buzzing harmonics at highway speeds.
I never looked at the murano due to the CVT. I am 6' and I can easily sit behind the driver seat in my position and have lots of room. The rear seats of the RDX were designed with adults in mind
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
big shot.

After going to the dealer a 2nd time, i have a real hard time, taking into account everything, stomaching the RDX AWD TECH @ $40k n change price. I think Acura is dreaming, im sorry guys (& gals)., especially when you look at what 40k gets you in something like the Murano LE.

Yes you can say, well, compared to the competition, its a few thousand lower. Well, does the RDX really belong in an upscale group? What i say is, 40k!? FOR THAT? I dont think it belongs at that price point, or in the alternative, offers enough claimed luxury and style AND equipment to be viewed as Audi/Benz/Infiniti competition. More similar competition belongs with more mid-level brands, such as Nissan. Although Acura may want customers to believe its competition is Audi, or whoever, Hyundai also wants you to believe that its competition is Lexus or some upscale brand. not really.

i guess now im viewing the 2013 RDX in a class of its own, again, just like the 1G. If anything, i guess the Murano serves as a great example of what 40k in an RDX does NOT get you.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jfarabaugh
I never looked at the murano due to the CVT. I am 6' and I can easily sit behind the driver seat in my position and have lots of room. The rear seats of the RDX were designed with adults in mind
thanks, 6 years ago I actually test drove a Murano, but decided against it mainly due to the CVT. At the time it was pretty new and I was skeptical about it.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
After going to the dealer a 2nd time, i have a real hard time, taking into account everything, stomaching the RDX AWD TECH @ $40k n change price. I think Acura is dreaming, im sorry guys (& gals)., especially when you look at what 40k gets you in something like the Murano LE.

Yes you can say, well, compared to the competition, its a few thousand lower. Well, does the RDX really belong in an upscale group? What i say is, 40k!? FOR THAT? I dont think it belongs at that price point, or in the alternative, offers enough claimed luxury and style AND equipment to be viewed as Audi/Benz/Infiniti competition. More similar competition belongs with more mid-level brands, such as Nissan. Although Acura may want customers to believe its competition is Audi, or whoever, Hyundai also wants you to believe that its competition is Lexus or some upscale brand. not really.

i guess now im viewing the 2013 RDX in a class of its own, again, just like the 1G. If anything, i guess the Murano serves as a great example of what 40k in an RDX does NOT get you.
Thanks MMike. We weren’t really sure where you stood on the matter.

Me, I’ve got $40K to spend. I’ll be paying cash, so I could spend more if I want, but feel $40K is a reasonable amount to spend after driving a ’96 Celica for the last 8 years (wife’s car before we had kids and she got the van) and still having kids to put through college in 10 years.

I’ve considered the Edge, Murano, and just about everything else under (and over) $40K. I love the way the Edge Sport looks from the outside, but don’t care for the typical Ford interior. I also would not put up with the button-less touch-sensitive center console. I’ve always kind of liked the Murano, but the beak is a little too pointy, the overall shape a little too… bulbous(?), and the interior too typical Nissan, with similar generic controls/console as the Maxima. The Murano does have some nice features, such as the heated steering wheel and power steering column with memory, but they’re not enough to for me to put up with the rest of it.

At this point I’m down to the RDX and TL SH-AWD Tech. Once my dealer gets enough RDX’s in and starts dealing, I plan on taking each home for a night and driving them to work to get a good feel for which one I like best. I did drive the first RDX they got in and liked it enough to keep it on the list. It’s obviously not perfect, but it has a nice blend of entry-level luxury and sport, which is what I’m looking for.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced

RDX and rear facing Britax

We have an 11 month old in a Britax Boulevard (or marathon, can't remember) rear facing behind the passenger's seat. I can sit in the front seat comfortably and I'm a long torso 6' 0.5'' guy.

Cargo room isn't deep but is surprisingly versatile. With the Britax attached the larger left (60%) rear section of the rear set comes down with just a pull of the lever. Very convenient for longer items.

I will never own a CVT so the Murano wasn't a choice. Edge was kinda tempting but it really was a bit too big on the outside for us. New Escape if you were looking for something a little cheaper?

I think Acura is missing marketing the new RDX to new parents. I can't imagine jumping from a TSX to an MDX.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
OP, in addition to hearing opinions from current RDX owners and/or other members, you might also want to check the reviews as found in the following links:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...age_id=1049024

So far, from what I've read, most car journalists highly recommend the RDX. As with many Honda's and Acura's, the RDX does pretty much everything well, without really excelling in any particular area.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts

I'm sorry if I came off that way, I didn't mean it to at all. Japan-manufactured Accords are very rare, and most that have it usually don't know.

Facts are facts, I personally don't know where it was engineered. I wasn't trying to come off as offensive, just made an observation as others said.

Good luck with your search.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
8th Gear

Aman, thanks for your reply. No harm done, I'm new here and took what you wrote the wrong way.

Everyone has been very helpful and I'm hoping to make a final decision this weekend. I'm ok with not having all the added amenities the Murano has, the only thing I wish the RDX had was a bit of a larger cargo area.

Can anyone tell me if the HID's in the tech pkg have bi-xenon lights? Or is it only the low beam?

thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Low beam only I believe.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Aman, thanks for your reply. No harm done, I'm new here and took what you wrote the wrong way.

Everyone has been very helpful and I'm hoping to make a final decision this weekend. I'm ok with not having all the added amenities the Murano has, the only thing I wish the RDX had was a bit of a larger cargo area.

Can anyone tell me if the HID's in the tech pkg have bi-xenon lights? Or is it only the low beam?

thanks
The press release when they announced pricing on the new RDX said they were bi-xenons :

Available for $3,700, a Technology Package brings the RDX owner even more high tech appointments including items such as the AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System, Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, a hard disk drive (HDD) with 60 gigabytes of storage capacity, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, a GPS-linked solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system, Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Sound System, a power actuated rear tailgate, projector beam headlights with Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs and front fog lights.

but the Acura.com website says the following :

RDX models with the Technology Package are equipped with Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights for the low beams.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juice13
I think Acura is missing marketing the new RDX to new parents. I can't imagine jumping from a TSX to an MDX.
I am surprised about this as well. They seem to be doing the opposite (marketing towards non-parents or empty nesters).

We are planning for having a kid in upcoming years and are definitely considering the RDX.

I will also consider the next-gen MDX, but not sure if I'm ready for that big of a jump from my current Mazda 3 (cost-wise and size-wise).
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums
I am surprised about this as well. They seem to be doing the opposite (marketing towards non-parents or empty nesters).

We are planning for having a kid in upcoming years and are definitely considering the RDX.

I will also consider the next-gen MDX, but not sure if I'm ready for that big of a jump from my current Mazda 3 (cost-wise and size-wise).
I was all ready to pull the trigger on a slightly used '11 MDX with advanced package (for slightly cheaper than the '13 RDX) and my wife surprised me by talking me out of it. She rides in one almost every day for lunch and she says that is really is a huge vehicle. Like you need to plan where/how you park it each trip.

We really really wanted to like the TSX wagon but the rear leg room just wasn't going to cut it with a rear facing baby seat. Cargo room was fantastic.

RDX seems perfect for the one and a half kid family.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The press release when they announced pricing on the new RDX said they were bi-xenons :

Available for $3,700, a Technology Package brings the RDX owner even more high tech appointments including items such as the AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System, Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, a hard disk drive (HDD) with 60 gigabytes of storage capacity, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, a GPS-linked solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system, Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Sound System, a power actuated rear tailgate, projector beam headlights with Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs and front fog lights.

but the Acura.com website says the following :

RDX models with the Technology Package are equipped with Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights for the low beams.

According to the online owners manual:

High beam headlight: 60 W (HB3)
Low beam headlight: 55 W (H11 for halogen bulb type)
35 W (D2S for high voltage discharge type)

The HB3 and H11 types are halogen bulbs.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 PM
big shot.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by juice13

good observation
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arbiterlin
unless you can get $5000+ discount on Murano, go with the RDX... I tested both, and I end up with RDX... back seats space are similar, little smaller cargo, but still good enough for me... Much more sporty compare to the CVT on Murano!!!
Well said. Just watch out for those Nissan head gaskets (as in the 2009's). I won't miss the CVT. The seats are very comfortable, like recliners, even better for people of greater stature. The Murano ride is plush. There is a tad more cargo room and the back seat is a tad tighter for taller folks in the Nissan. For tall people, expect your head to nearly brush the ceiling in the passenger seat, unless Nissan finally added a height adjustment. Honda/Acura have anonymous styling, and this comes from an Acura owner... The Murano has nice features where it counts, and the looks make a statement, opposed to just being like I said, anonymous. I'm giving the nod to Honda for reliability but, that's just my fortune, probably... Any Honda or Acura I've owned may have been a tad anonymous but darn reliable.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DibbyD
Thanks MMike. We weren’t really sure where you stood on the matter.

Me, I’ve got $40K to spend. I’ll be paying cash, so I could spend more if I want, but feel $40K is a reasonable amount to spend after driving a ’96 Celica for the last 8 years (wife’s car before we had kids and she got the van) and still having kids to put through college in 10 years.

I’ve considered the Edge, Murano, and just about everything else under (and over) $40K. I love the way the Edge Sport looks from the outside, but don’t care for the typical Ford interior. I also would not put up with the button-less touch-sensitive center console. I’ve always kind of liked the Murano, but the beak is a little too pointy, the overall shape a little too… bulbous(?), and the interior too typical Nissan, with similar generic controls/console as the Maxima. The Murano does have some nice features, such as the heated steering wheel and power steering column with memory, but they’re not enough to for me to put up with the rest of it.

At this point I’m down to the RDX and TL SH-AWD Tech. Once my dealer gets enough RDX’s in and starts dealing, I plan on taking each home for a night and driving them to work to get a good feel for which one I like best. I did drive the first RDX they got in and liked it enough to keep it on the list. It’s obviously not perfect, but it has a nice blend of entry-level luxury and sport, which is what I’m looking for.
Seems kind of funny that any car could have a more pointy front end than an acura...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bayman
Seems kind of funny that any car could have a more pointy front end than an acura...
I was waiting for someone to catch that one I think on the Murano its the way the headlights and grill flow and the way the bumper comes up to meet the grill. It's more of a horizontal pointiness than the Acura's vertical point. I'm not sure if Nissan changed the grill for 2011 but I seemed to like it a little better before.

Anyway, I'm scheduled to pick up a TL or RDX on Monday at the dealer for an overnight test drive. Then I'll go back on Tuesday to swap for the other one. After that it will be decision time!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
DibbyD...Why chose? Get one of each
Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DibbyD
I was waiting for someone to catch that one I think on the Murano its the way the headlights and grill flow and the way the bumper comes up to meet the grill. It's more of a horizontal pointiness than the Acura's vertical point. I'm not sure if Nissan changed the grill for 2011 but I seemed to like it a little better before.

Anyway, I'm scheduled to pick up a TL or RDX on Monday at the dealer for an overnight test drive. Then I'll go back on Tuesday to swap for the other one. After that it will be decision time!
I wonder if my local dealer would let me do an overnight test drive...something tells me not.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
DibbyD...Why chose? Get one of each
Unfortunately, we all can't live the life of Weather!

Actually, I have thought about picking up the TL now for me and then getting the RDX in a few years for my wife to replace our 2006 Odyssey. I think she will really like the RDX.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bayman
I wonder if my local dealer would let me do an overnight test drive...something tells me not.
I was able to do one several months ago when i was considering the Kia Optima. It really gave me a good feel for the car and made me that much more inclined to buy it. I was really suprised how good the HID headlights were. I'd never driven a car with them before, and probably would never have been exposed to that on a normal test drive during the day. I'm hoping to have a similar experience with the Acuras.

When I took my initial RDX test drive with my salesman, I told him about my plan for the overnight test drives and the reasons why I would like to do it. Some of my reasons are seeing how the car will fit in my garage (TL is 20 inches longer and 5 inches wider than my Celica), spending time playing with the electronics/stereo, and driving the car to work on the roads I drive everyday, where I know every pothole and bump.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Another data point on the Ford Edge: my Dad owns one. The gas tank seems to be ridiculously small for the vehicle. The range stinks. On a trip from Sulphur, LA to Mobile, AL in a convoy of vehicles including a Nissan Altima, GMC Arcadia, and a Chevy Silverado, my Dad was the first one who had to stop for gas.

Quick Reply: Edge, Murano, RDX....opinions please