Does Nav use real time traffic to calculate time to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Nav use real time traffic to calculate time to go?

I have a 2015, two months old (so real time traffic is activated).

Yesterday I took a 1:45 hour trip I have taken many times. First, it wanted to route me way out of the way in order to pick up a major road. Time was 2:20. Then, after going the way I knew was best, it finally agreed. But the time to go kept making big jumps for no apparent reason. Once when stopped for a school bus, the time decreased 20 minutes.

Anyone else experience something like this? Is there a way to make the Nav system choose the fastest time instead of crazy routings that try to keep you on major highways?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Please check your navigation settings. Make sure you have selected the "fastest route" in the settings. "Shortest route" setting sometimes takes you through smaller roads. If you are not planning to continue with the Sirius XM / traffic subscription then don't worry about the time calculations. It will revert to regular navigation after your trial period expires in about 1 month.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by jbernardk
I have a 2015, two months old (so real time traffic is activated).

Yesterday I took a 1:45 hour trip I have taken many times. First, it wanted to route me way out of the way in order to pick up a major road. Time was 2:20. Then, after going the way I knew was best, it finally agreed. But the time to go kept making big jumps for no apparent reason. Once when stopped for a school bus, the time decreased 20 minutes.

Anyone else experience something like this? Is there a way to make the Nav system choose the fastest time instead of crazy routings that try to keep you on major highways?
Not as far as I can tell and such a calculation would be nearly impossible as it would have to be able to calculate this info based upon two different inputs.

The time to destination is calculated by the route selected and does not take traffic into consideration but does consider speed limits and vehicle speed.

When you begin your trip it calculates using speed limit info. Once underway, it will use your current position to continually update the time to destination - effectively using your current speed.

In both Acura (using SiriusXM traffic data) and Honda (using free Clearchannel traffic data), the data appears only to be used for painting nice red, yellow and green lines on your map.

I use Waze to provide me with traffic based routing. Google Maps is now partnering with Waze as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
Please check your navigation settings. Make sure you have selected the "fastest route" in the settings. "Shortest route" setting sometimes takes you through smaller roads. If you are not planning to continue with the Sirius XM / traffic subscription then don't worry about the time calculations. It will revert to regular navigation after your trial period expires in about 1 month.
I don't see an option for "fastest" and "shortest". The only options I see are to set max or min on freeways, toll roads, and ferries. None of those applied on this trip. It did calculate 3 options, but none of them made much sense. In fact, using Google or Bing online maps, none suggested the routes proposed by the Acura Nav.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
smartphone app

The answer is WAZE, amazing little app (real reroutes taking into account traffic and real time reports [jams, hazards, etc]); also remembers favorite routes and most importantly, cop alerts!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

I finally figured it out. My usual and fastest route follows a 2 lane road for the first 30 miles. The Nav routed me way out of the way to pick up a 4 lane road and added 30 minutes to the time. I set the "freeway" setting to MIN (from MAX, only two options) and it now found the fastest route.

There really should be a "fastest" option and a "shortest" option.

Still don't know why the time kept changing by a large amount. there is on option to use real time traffic, but it was set to "off".