Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Clear Bra

Anyone have recent experience with a clear bra installation and more specifically whose product did you use? Have an appointment for an installation on Friday and reading as much as possible regarding the various mfg. of film is starting to make me wonder if this is worth the cost and trouble. I've had it done before on another car with only fair results.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never had it done on previous vehicles so can not speak to long term results. However since I had a large number of chips on my NBP 2005 TL and it was a constant battle and aggravation I decided to do on 2013 WDP TDX. Had it done by aftermarket place and used Scotchgard 3M paint protection film. They did front of hood, front of fenders, front of mirrors, and body behind door handles. Did not do front bumper as the applier said cost of film versus cost of any repair did not make it worth it. Have not had it long enough to judge the protection (time will tell.) Looks great, you can hardly see it on the WDP color versus darker colors.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Some people swear by clear bras and other are meh. I'm one of the meh's. For some reason I haven't had a problem with chips on the front of my vehicles in some time, and considering the cost of the bra it's just not a reasonable expense for me.

If you are having a problem with chips, I can see where you'd want to spend the money to get it done. Since almost all of them yellow over time with exposure to the sun, it will eventually become a resale negative.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TBC787
Anyone have recent experience with a clear bra installation and more specifically whose product did you use? Have an appointment for an installation on Friday and reading as much as possible regarding the various mfg. of film is starting to make me wonder if this is worth the cost and trouble. I've had it done before on another car with only fair results.
I have had it done on three cars and am sold on the 3M ScotchGuard PPF product. The VentureShield product a family member got on a black 2009 Civic has been a disaster.

The 3M on 2006 black Acura RL and 2009 dark gray metallic Civic Si have been great. In particular, the Acura film has far outlived its 5 year warranty and is a great thing, protecting from rock chips, and the front bumper in particular has been well protected from a bumper to bumper fender bender, running into a board on edge, and any number of parking lot dings. No chips to the paint and no penetration of the film. The film has also protected the fog light lenses...this is one area where there was almost a penetration, a divot in the film, but lens is not cracked. Headlights are in great condition also, protected against chips and abrasion. I wish I had done my rear bumper now.

The 3M on the Civic Si belongs to another family member and it seems to have held up even better. It is actually less visible on the metallic gray than the metallic black.

The VentureShield was a disaster, and looks dull and etched and permanently spotted. It has protected against paint chips very well, on another family member's car, but has not held up well to the UV, or acid rain or whatever....not recommended. It may start out looking as good or maybe even better than the 3M, but after a year, no...

Would I do it again? Film yes, 3M ScotchGuard yes - not sure on VentureShield since they have been bought by 3M. Do not understand the difference between the two products now that both are owned by 3M and not mortal enemies. A lot has changed since late 2006.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
I swear by them. Poorer quality tapes can start yellowing in time. But, then again, these things are not really permanent in that way and should be considered for replacement after a few years (depending on the climate too of where you are at).
Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Some people swear by clear bras and other are meh. I'm one of the meh's. For some reason I haven't had a problem with chips on the front of my vehicles in some time, and considering the cost of the bra it's just not a reasonable expense for me.

If you are having a problem with chips, I can see where you'd want to spend the money to get it done. Since almost all of them yellow over time with exposure to the sun, it will eventually become a resale negative.
Well then you just remove it or put a fresh one on. I won't own this car long enough that it will turn yellow so that's not a factor.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3M Scotchgard PPF has a 5 year warranty for yellowing, bubbling, or cracking.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doubtit
The 3M Scotchgard PPF has a 5 year warranty for yellowing, bubbling, or cracking.
As does Venture Shield. Not sure why they still seperate these two? In my case the BMW dealer is doing the work so I'm fairly confident that the workmanship will be satisfactory. I have also seen the work on several of their high end Bimmers on the showroom floor. I'll let you know how this works out.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Doubtit
Mine has easily reached that mark. Cannot say the same for family member's VentureShield which was looking bad after 2.5 years. Workmanship and protection was never an issue, just the looks...the materials...but the family member was too lazy or harassed by life to do anything about the warranty.

Oh well.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
3M clear bra is the only type I use and it's been great. Have it on both my '13 Acura's. Full frontal, mirrors, door coves, hood and front door sill edges. The pros that install clear bra won't use anything but 3M. Many don't care what they sell...as long as someone is buying. 3M is more expensive....but, in this case you get what you pay for.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
3M clear bra is the only type I use and it's been great. Have it on both my '13 Acura's. Full frontal, mirrors, door coves, hood and front door sill edges. The pros that install clear bra won't use anything but 3M. Many don't care what they sell...as long as someone is buying. 3M is more expensive....but, in this case you get what you pay for.
This might be a good study for the human condition. If you Google the difference between Venture Shield and 3M you will get at least a dozen pros and cons regarding the merits of each product. Looks like VS has a lifetime waranty vs the 5 year number for 3M. Seems to be a universal opinion the the 3M has some orange peal characteristics and suppose for some that is not an issue. I guess I will take the plunge with VS and report back.

Also a number of opinions on upkeep of both products. Some say don't do anything, while other "experts" say go ahead and wax it just as long as your careful regarding the chemical makeup of the wax.

How are you dealing with that issue?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I am against clear bras on cars, but support them in other applications.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Busy Livin'
I am against clear bras on cars, but support them in other applications.
Not to mention the support they offer.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

This might be a good study for the human condition. If you Google the difference between Venture Shield and 3M you will get at least a dozen pros and cons regarding the merits of each product. Looks like VS has a lifetime waranty vs the 5 year number for 3M. Seems to be a universal opinion the the 3M has some orange peal characteristics and suppose for some that is not an issue. I guess I will take the plunge with VS and report back.

Also a number of opinions on upkeep of both products. Some say don't do anything, while other "experts" say go ahead and wax it just as long as your careful regarding the chemical makeup of the wax.

How are you dealing with that issue?
A lot of "issues" with clear bra have to do with how well it is applied. Just like anything else a lot depends on the abilities of the installer.
I've always been told....by 3M installers....wax over it...not an issue. I use liquid Nano wax on my cars and when buffing it on it goes right over the clear bra too. Helps keep it protected...as it protects from rocks etc. Works for my cars.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
A lot of "issues" with clear bra have to do with how well it is applied. Just like anything else a lot depends on the abilities of the installer.
I've always been told....by 3M installers....wax over it...not an issue. I use liquid Nano wax on my cars and when buffing it on it goes right over the clear bra too. Helps keep it protected...as it protects from rocks etc. Works for my cars.
Some of the wax comments come from the wax collecting at the edge of the film and leaving a white line across the hood after it dries. This shows up more on dark-colored cars, of course, and I've known guys to use a toothpick to laboriously pick it out ... but it still shows.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with 3M Clear bra products. I had it on my TSX for almost 7 years (+95,000 miles with film) and on my RDX for +3 years (+60,000 miles with film). I did the headlights, fogs on TSX only, side mirrors, hood, small corners of L/R fenders and bumpers. I had to replace the 3M clear bra on my TSX after 4 1/2 years because it started to haze slightly. Since I had a 5 year warranty, the replacement was free. The 3M product protected my headlight from UV haze. Headlight covers were crystal clear again with the new film. The installer said the film was updated and it now has a lifetime warranty against UV haze.

My installers use a large roll and cut to custom fit to both vehicles (TSX with A-spec kit and RDX with OEM front spoiler). Both installs still look new with no problems. I paid about $325 for each vehicle to clear bra.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Some of the wax comments come from the wax collecting at the edge of the film and leaving a white line across the hood after it dries. This shows up more on dark-colored cars, of course, and I've known guys to use a toothpick to laboriously pick it out ... but it still shows.
My suggestion is this....and it's also suggested by top detailers.....I have always used a soft bristled toothbrush to remove any leftover wax debris anywhere on my cars....at the edges of whatever. If you don't wait weeks to do it....it comes right off after it has dried, of course. I think the type of wax or polish might make a difference.....but, so far, over the years, whatever wax I've used was removed where not wanted by a soft bristled tooth brush. I can't imagine using a toothpick for that particular "job".
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Well it's snowing here today so I rescheduled for next week. Bummer! What's the general opinion on having freshly waxed those areas that the clear bra will go on. Yes or no?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Well it's snowing here today so I rescheduled for next week. Bummer! What's the general opinion on having freshly waxed those areas that the clear bra will go on. Yes or no?
Well, you can if you want...BUT....the clear bra installer will use a "cleaner" that will remove any wax, residues, etc. The material has to be able to stick to a very clean surface.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Well, you can if you want...BUT....the clear bra installer will use a "cleaner" that will remove any wax, residues, etc. The material has to be able to stick to a very clean surface.
That's what I suspected and the reason I aked. I would imagine that they will have to wash the car first before they do anything.