Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Battery replacement

My RDX battery needs replacement. Do you guys still prefer to stick to OEM or from third party such as autozone, Walmart, advanced auto parts,… etc?

Are these theirs party batteries equivalent/ worse / better than OEM (price and quality wise). Any opinions?
Old 01-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
My understanding is that pretty much all batteries are now being made by two or three manufacturers. Johnson Controls owns about 65% of the US market. So with this in mind, there likely isn't too much difference across the brands, but I'm sure others will be able to supply their opinions. My wife's 16 RDX still has the original battery. I used to replace auto batteries with Sears DieHards, but they are harder to find with Sear's demise, but believe they are available at Advance Auto Parts.
I last replaced my 08 TL-S battery with an Interstate Megatron Plus about 4 years ago and is still working fine. I read folks lauding the cost effectiveness of Costco batteries
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
I second NBP's recommendation of the strongest interstate battery that will fit in your box. The Honda/acura batteries suck. Don't know why. If your car is still under warranty, Acura will replace it free. I did this with my wife's RDX. So, in my opinion, get the free battery if you can or find an interstate dealer near you.
Comfy (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Walmart, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA all make highly rated batteries. I've had very positive experience with Walmart brand. Buy the right size, CCA and get the one with the longest free replacement warranty. Where people get into trouble is buying the cheaper version which has a shorter warranty.

Good luck.
Comfy (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. My warranty is long gone. Had it replaced under factory warranty about 5 years ago. I just don’t have the time and inclination to get appointment at dealerships (and take time off my work) for this anymore.
Good to know that most of them are manufactured by the same corporations. In that case there’s nothing much to differentiate between them. I got Diehard gold installed from advanced auto since that was the closest available for me. CCA mentioned is 750 with 3 years warranty which I believe is marginally better than the OEM stuff. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 411 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
The Honda/acura batteries suck. Don't know why.
I got 14 years out of the factory fitted battery in my 1999 Honda CR-V. The battery was a Panasonic and unfortuantely not available in our aftermarket. The other factory fitted battery in the 1990 Toyota Tercel lasted 16 years, also a Panasonic. By the way both cars were sold and they probably lasted longer.

Owners must be doing something wrong. Batteries require maintenance and that is the key.
Comfy (01-28-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Comfy
Do you guys still prefer to stick to OEM...
OEM does not make batteries or oil or most products that go in their vehicles. Reputable car companies usually pick a good product over cheaping out.

I buy batteries from battery manufacturers: East Penn for my cars, YUASA for my motorcycles.
Comfy (01-28-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts
Looks like you already got some answers here but if you have a Costco membership, you can't beat the price on quality interstate batteries.
The following 4 users liked this post by TheSauceBoss:
Comfy (01-28-2022), DUCRDX (01-27-2022), dvd2012tl (01-30-2022), MerlinT (01-25-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a big fan of Walmart which is rated very high. If you buy the top one, it comes with a 3 year full replacement. In FL batteries don't last long so the warranty comes in handy. Also buy a quality charger like the NOCO Genius or Ctek. Monitring my battery, I find it needs charging about once or twice per month to top up a full charge.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Joephu
Also buy a quality charger like the NOCO Genius or Ctek.
Since I worked in a lab evaluating batteries and battery charging systems, what makes you think those are "quality" battery chargers.

I monitored their charging algorithm on a data logger and trust me, they are nothing special. They are a charger, but nothing special. Certainly better than not using a charger at all.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I suspect that the word 'quality' here reflects the feeling that it will work longer/reliably than some chargers, rather than somehow working 'better'.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...
Old 04-02-2022, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For a typical homeowner not looking to spend hundreds of dollars, there are not a lot of options in the retail space. I'm just saying those 2 are probably your best bet. Magic Smoke on YTube does some good technical reviews of both chargers.

Originally Posted by Tech
Since I worked in a lab evaluating batteries and battery charging systems, what makes you think those are "quality" battery chargers.

I monitored their charging algorithm on a data logger and trust me, they are nothing special. They are a charger, but nothing special. Certainly better than not using a charger at all.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

For a typical homeowner not looking to spend hundreds of dollars, there are not a lot of options in the retail space.
They are built to a price point and probably cost $5, if that, from the manufacturer in China. There are plenty under $100 and none of them are anything special. I love the blurb on the package where they say that it desulphates the battery. I have never seen a sulphated battery go back to the initial specs (capacity, CCA, etc).

Magic Smoke on YTube does some good technical reviews of both chargers.
Hopefully better than Project Farm whose evaluations I find pointless. Many of those on YouTube need to have a technical background and they don't. I do like Engineering Explained (car guy) on YT though.

I have a coupe of personal CTEKs (*) and a couple of Optimates that I ran a data logger on. Well they were worth $50 and not much more. I bought a Pro-Logic PL2320 upon the recommendation of the people I worked with at the government labs (I'm retired). I have not run a data logger on it yet. Nice charger though. The best that I came across is a Xantrex TrueCharge II 20A that I tested some 10 years ago. Maybe they have some newer models now.

(*) and if you had one apart because the relatively new mode switch failed, the board inside is a joke. I won't be buying one again.

Anyway, I certainly do not need them for my daily-driver cars because the factory original batteries last over 14 years. I just use them on my stored cars and motorcycles.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kelsen
I suspect that the word 'quality' here reflects the feeling that it will work longer/reliably than some chargers, rather than somehow working 'better'.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance...
I didn't have much luck with one of my CTEKs. I could not get a new Mode Switch and doing a search on YT, others have had issues as well. Unfortunately I was not aware of the warranty and chucked it.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
My RDX battery needs replacement. Do you guys still prefer to stick to OEM or from third party such as autozone, Walmart, advanced auto parts,… etc?

Are these theirs party batteries equivalent/ worse / better than OEM (price and quality wise). Any opinions?
Just grab a 24F AGM battery from Walmart and call it a day. There's only 4 companies in the US that make AGM automotive batteries and 3 companies that make Flooded lead acid batteries. Everything is relabeled.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha2beta
Just grab a 24F AGM battery from Walmart and call it a day. There's only 4 companies in the US that make AGM automotive batteries and 3 companies that make Flooded lead acid batteries. Everything is relabeled.
i read in a different thread here that some cars may not like AGM and can actually make them go bad real fast because of the way they're charged...is this true?

I have an option between Walmart EverStart brand FLA $100 2yr replacement, or $170 AGM version 4yr replacement...so trying to find out... (for my 2008 TL base)
Old 07-26-2022, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Personally, if the car did not come with an AGM battery, I would stick to regular battery. I haven't seen or read anything that suggests spending the extra money guarantees the battery will last longer. I've had good experiences with Walmart, Autozone and Advance Auto parts batteries. I try to buy the 3 yr replacement batteries. The only battery that crapped out before the warranty was the OEM battery in my 2015 Camry. I live in PA so weather isn't an issue.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vindroid
i read in a different thread here that some cars may not like AGM and can actually make them go bad real fast because of the way they're charged...is this true?
True! Each battery type (FLA, AGM or GEL) has slightly different requirements. Its not the end of the world but it does make a difference. One thing you should never do to an AGM or GEL (VRLA batteries) is to overcharge them and the charge voltage is also based on the temperature.

I will overcharge my FLA battery to equalize the cells now and then. That type of battery can be topped up with distilled water.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vindroid

I have an option between Walmart EverStart brand FLA $100 2yr replacement, or $170 AGM version 4yr replacement...so trying to find out... (for my 2008 TL base)

You wont need it on a 2008. Guy just tried to sell me one for my 2018 and even though it is the tech package, it doesn't have things like LKA, Start / Stop and a few other electrical goodies. I suspect you would find an AGM on 2019 and later RDX and other Acura products with Stop / Start, LKA etc.