5.1 Surround Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
5.1 Surround Sound

Maybe I'm the only one who just found this out...but, if not I'll pass on what my, 14 years in the Acura dealerhsip guy just old me today.

The only way you will get the "full 5.1 surround sound affect" is if you play...a music only DVD in the system. Playing a typical CD will sound great...better than most systems....but, it will NOT play to it's full "abilities."

Now, if you engage the Dolby button when playing a CD...then you will get CLOSER to the "sound" of the 5.1 system.

So, if I'm the only one who didn't know this...I'm sorry....but, it this helps, then that is what this site is about.

Now I have to read the "book" and see if it even explains this. My guess....no. But, maybe.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Maybe someone else can explain this, but I don't see how a "music-only DVD" will necessarily play 5.1 audio. If it's DVD-A, then I understand because that can be recorded in 5.1. Most CD music is recorded in stereo, correct? He sounds like he's sorta right, but for all the wrong reasons. Or maybe I need correcting.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
It is DVD-Audio. They are hard to find, but they sound spectacular. Amazing separation. Did you get the demo DVD-A with the RDX? It has something like 15 tracks on it and really shows the capabilities of the system.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Colorado Guy and Rocketsfan...What the salesman said is pretty accurate. The ELS system in the RDX has the capability to play DVD-Audio discs. This format is no longer in production but you can find used titles online and these discs are encoded with a very high bit rates and encoded with discrete channels. The ELS system is then able to extract these channels and give exceptional sound quality with able to hear each speaker play different instruments. Its quite amazing actually.

Very few CDs are encoded in 5.1 surround, this was mostly done with DVD-audio. Turning on the Dolby Pro Logic II will give a simulated surround but as your sales guy said, it is never truly as good as a disc recorded with discrete channels,,,and MP3 are even worse because it is a compressed format and why you can store so many songs on MP3 players. You compromise quality for quantity....

You will still get enjoyement out of your ELS system regardless of what you play but I can assure that listening to a DVD-audio then going to MP3 is quite disappointing but after a few songs, your ears become accustomed to it again XM is even worse!

Finally...you have seen me say this before but please make sure you turn down your centre speaker a few notch as its unbalanced and gives the impression no sound is coming from the side speakers.

Best of luck and enjoy your RDX You know we'll want to see pics
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
justnspace (06-22-2012), Ken1997TL (07-01-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
DVD Audio

Has anyone read a good reason why they are bothering to even offer DVD-A on the new RDX? I have a handful of discs with my 2008 RDX and agree they sound great but why bother to continue with a dead technology.

Might as well offer an 8-track option at the same time
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thanks guys for some info. Sorry, I did say "music only"...but, I'm sure he said DVD-A. According to my Acura guy....he didn't make it out that DVD-A is on the way out. He said they are not that plentiful, but, they were growing in numbers. If not for these then how can we really enjoy the full 5.1 surround capabilities?? I'm in a fog on this one! LOL!
Yes, my "books" contain the demo DVD. Not all are recorded DVD-A music. He showed it to me....I don't have it yet. Saturday!!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Maybe I'm the only one who just found this out...but, if not I'll pass on what my, 14 years in the Acura dealerhsip guy just old me today.

The only way you will get the "full 5.1 surround sound affect" is if you play...a music only DVD in the system. Playing a typical CD will sound great...better than most systems....but, it will NOT play to it's full "abilities."

Now, if you engage the Dolby button when playing a CD...then you will get CLOSER to the "sound" of the 5.1 system.

So, if I'm the only one who didn't know this...I'm sorry....but, it this helps, then that is what this site is about.

Now I have to read the "book" and see if it even explains this. My guess....no. But, maybe.
Thanks for sharing the information Colorado guy.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cheffip
Has anyone read a good reason why they are bothering to even offer DVD-A on the new RDX? I have a handful of discs with my 2008 RDX and agree they sound great but why bother to continue with a dead technology.

Might as well offer an 8-track option at the same time
Its likely a situation where they have the technology developed and the format of a CD/DVD is still there so why not use it and try to market it for what its worth. It sounds sexy doesn't it. The 8-tracks and cassettes are no longer being used so that is a dead format....CD's on the other hand aren't (yet) so that is likely why. The Dolby Pro Logic II is built in which will help recreate the surround experience but it will never beat the DVD-Audio experience and what a better to sell the capability of a music system than throwing a demo DVD disc and get people all excited about how great their system can sound like
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Cassette tapes were fairly obsolete when I bought my 3G TL, yet... there's that cassette player... I feel like I'm driving a museum now.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Wink

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Cassette tapes were fairly obsolete when I bought my 3G TL, yet... there's that cassette player... I feel like I'm driving a museum now.
...hope you don't belong in one, Rex
Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
"According to my Acura guy....he didn't make it out that DVD-A is on the way out. He said they are not that plentiful, but, they were growing in numbers." I got a '13 RDX on June 2, and have researched a lot of DVD-A discs online; bought a few.

Amazon and Best Buy web sites seem the best sources for new-stock discs; Amazon for used ones. As i recall, the discs I've found with descriptions that gave dates were from about 2000-4, although I think I saw one from 2005. I understand from all I've read that it is definitely an out-of-production format. If they appear to be "growing in numbers" I would bet that it's because more USED discs are being offered through the Amazon site, but not new titles. Maybe he has newer info, but if DVD-A had gone back into production, that would have gotten a lot of publicity in the audio press.

They do sound fantastic. And watch out for the "scalper rates" on some of those used, out-of-print titles.

I'm surprised that Acura isn't doing a little more to help make a market for these discs on behalf of their ELS customers; they could at least print a suggested list of sources, if not convince someone to go back into production. I mean, if they are still offering the player several years after the format expired....
Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura buyers would be better served if acura would add the software to allow the dvd player to play regular dvds because there are tons of musical titles available on dvd. Most other manufacturers allow this. It should be able to be done with a firmware patch.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by robuckj
I'm surprised that Acura isn't doing a little more to help make a market for these discs on behalf of their ELS customers; they could at least print a suggested list of sources, if not convince someone to go back into production. I mean, if they are still offering the player several years after the format expired....
There was more hype back when I bought my '04 TL back in '03. Back then it was the future of audio (along with the competing SACD format). I remember I bought 2 or 3 discs - back then, and they were somewhat pricey from what I recall. Nowadays, most people buy discs/songs digitally.

Now I just stare at the cassette player and dvd-a abilities in my car and think, "i really need to get a new car"...
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

"According to my Acura guy....he didn't make it out that DVD-A is on the way out. He said they are not that plentiful, but, they were growing in numbers." I got a '13 RDX on June 2, and have researched a lot of DVD-A discs online; bought a few.
I hope your Acura guy wasn't trying to tell you that the format is still being produced and that the numbers of new titles are growing because that would be incorrect.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The 1st gen RDX is able to play DTS CDs so I assume the 2nd gen can as well. These are also multichannel discs but use MP3 style compression to fit on to a compact disc. Because of the compression, they don't sound as good as DVD-A discs but they're still pretty cool and used ones are out there.

You can also keep an eye out for DualDiscs. These have a CD layer on one side and DVD layer on the other. Usually, the DVD layer is DVD-Audio but not always. Many Talking Heads and R.E.M. titles are available in this format.

A must have DVD-A for Beatles fans is the Love soundtrack. Unless you're a total purist, it's a very cool mashup of Beatles tracks in full surround.
The following users liked this post:
robuckj (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by superblast
The 1st gen RDX is able to play DTS CDs so I assume the 2nd gen can as well. These are also multichannel discs but use MP3 style compression to fit on to a compact disc. Because of the compression, they don't sound as good as DVD-A discs but they're still pretty cool and used ones are out there.

You can also keep an eye out for DualDiscs. These have a CD layer on one side and DVD layer on the other. Usually, the DVD layer is DVD-Audio but not always. Many Talking Heads and R.E.M. titles are available in this format.

A must have DVD-A for Beatles fans is the Love soundtrack. Unless you're a total purist, it's a very cool mashup of Beatles tracks in full surround.

Thanks for the tip on DTS and dual disks, I will look out for those. A lot of discs showed up in the Amazon search results for "DVD-Audio" discs, but when I looked closer they were NOT labeled as "DVD Audio" format, so I did not buy them. I remember seeing a few listed as "DTS" or "5.1 Surround" but if they did not also say "DVD Audio" I passed.

And you are right about the Beatles "Love" set--if you like the Beatles you'd better buy that one before it sells out, it is under $20 but once these things go out of print the price can go way up. The other night a friend thought the RDX was "very nice;" but when I put the "Love" DVD in, she went ecstatic about the audio system.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

If you want to know a little "history" of the DVD-A issue...google it....and also check it out on Wikepedia.

The DVD-A format came out in 2000. Matched closely with the SACD format. Bottom line what is a great sounding 5.1 surround sound disc.....they never really caught on....the "numbers" just weren't there....and by 2007 or so the sales really were dismal.

Best Buy does NOT sell them in the stores, but, if you go on line they do have "some" to sell. Selection is limited.

Also, Amazon has them....but, again, selection is limited and prices are high....or really high...depending on the particular selection.

So, Acura...is still pushing their ELS system, but, we don't really have much in the way of choices or selections with DVD-A discs to buy. Kinda sad. The demo disc sounds great....!!!!

I really caught my Acura salesman in a bind trying to explain to me about finding discs to be able to enjoy the ELS system. I knew the answer before I asked him. He didn't give me the "real answer" concerning the DVD-A discs.

So, in the early years Acura "hung their hat" on this new audio technology....but, it didn't last and Acura is still pushing it in their new cars.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can DVD-A's be copied to the HDD?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Interesting question. Although I have done some homework and passed on what I found out....I'm not a real "techy" guy. So, I don't know the answer....but, my best guess is...probably not. But, I will do some investigating. I talked to Acura today...they called for their survey of this new buyer. She asked if I had anything I wanted to pass on after 1 week of ownership......Sooooooooo.....I gave her an earfull all about the DVD-A issue. She took all the notes and said..."interesting"....I will pass this on. She also gave me the phone # to call and encouraged me to talk to Acura public relations about this.

I'm sure Acura is fully aware of the issue. Hey, this is the car line that was still putting cassette players in their vehicles when everyone else had stopped!! LOL!
Great vehicles for sure...but, they do some quirky things at times.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dblackwood
Can DVD-A's be copied to the HDD?
Nope. Only audio CDs... Per the Navigation Manual (page 150) -

■ Recording to HDD
• Only standard CD-DA (44.1 kHz, 16 bit stereo PCM digital sound data) discs can be recorded to HDD.
• Digital music tracks, such as MP3, WMA, AAC, etc., in CD-R or DVD-R cannot be copied to HDD. Likewise, digital music tracks recorded to HDD cannot be copied to CD-R and DVD-R.
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-01-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I have been to copy music on my HDD that were previously downloaded MP3 which had been burned on CD. To be honest, I never really bothered copied them because all my songs are on a USB stick and that is what I use in the vehicle. That being said, I have had my fair of frustration playing the USB stick as the "random" feature is not that random after all. As I mentioned in another thread, it seems that if you do short trips to town, when you start your vehicle, the sequence of songs seems to start all over again and play in the same order which is annoying. Furthermore, I really dislike that the moment you select one song manually (when in a shuffle mode), it automatically disengage the random feature.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery of my RDX, which is still a few weeks out, and having read up on this site, I'm now in full seach mode for DVD-audio discs. Amazon as many note seems to be the best option online, and I plan to canvas some of the used music stores in the Boston area to see if anything is floating around in their bins. As many have noted, the cost on amazon is a bit over the top. For example, close to $100 for an Eagles Hotel California, or $50 plus for some Police, REM, and others. I loaded up the cart and found myself looking at close to $500 for a dozen discs....all for a vehicle I haven't even taken delivery on. Question for those with RDx's in their drieways...is the investment worth it for the 5.1 surround sound? e.g. is spending 50-100 a disc worth the experience?

Also, what's the deal on the Acura demo disc -- is this something everyone gets and what songs are actual on this?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery of my RDX, which is still a few weeks out, and having read up on this site, I'm now in full seach mode for DVD-audio discs. Amazon as many note seems to be the best option online, and I plan to canvas some of the used music stores in the Boston area to see if anything is floating around in their bins. As many have noted, the cost on amazon is a bit over the top. For example, close to $100 for an Eagles Hotel California, or $50 plus for some Police, REM, and others. I loaded up the cart and found myself looking at close to $500 for a dozen discs....all for a vehicle I haven't even taken delivery on. Question for those with RDx's in their drieways...is the investment worth it for the 5.1 surround sound? e.g. is spending 50-100 a disc worth the experience?

Also, what's the deal on the Acura demo disc -- is this something everyone gets and what songs are actual on this?
If you are a music fan, then it is absolutely worth it. The separation of the 5.1 DVD-A is night and day compared to a CD. You'll never want to listen to an MP3 again. I don't support piracy in any way, but there are ISO images online for those impossible to get titles - if you look hard enough. I am really disappointed that this format didn't take off. I have never been a huge fan of The Beatles, but the Love soundtrack at $20 is a steal.

BTW, you should get the demo disc and it really shows off the capabilities of the system. A bit of a tease though since good titles are so hard to get.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Racer

The Love show is pretty cool as well, been to Vegas a few times over the last few years and have seen the show each time. Back out in October, and have tickets already. Fully authorized at the time by the surviving Beatles, and the sound was mixed by George Martin (original Beatles producer) and his son. Pretty amazing show if you ever get out there. That is one of the discs in the Amazon cart!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
DVD audio discs sound fantastic and it's very disappointing that they never really 'stuck'.

Definitely buy a couple, you'll realize your vehicle's full potential.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

I thought Demo Discs came with each RDX....yes...no??? Mine did. So, that's the way you can check out just how cool 5.1 surround sound is in a vehicle.
Most of probably know what 5.1 sounds like with our home theatre systems.....most movies, I think, have surround sound.

It is sad that we have to "scrounge" for DVD-A discs to further our listening enjoyment. But, that is the case, and Acura keeps "promoting" the system.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I am a little late here. But, I just received a couple of DVD-audio discs that I ordered from Amazon. Just played the first one. The most incredible audio experience ever in a car! What a shame that mp3/m4a have taken over the music market. I have had live experiences that were not as good as this DVD-audio.

Regards, Jim
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree that it is such a shame that DVD-Audio never lasted! I can appreciate the convenience of MP3 and the amount of data that can be stored in their devices but its all done at the expense of quality due to high compression....For audiophile, this is like what TV dinners is to Julia Child.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I agree that it is such a shame that DVD-Audio never lasted! I can appreciate the convenience of MP3 and the amount of data that can be stored in their devices but its all done at the expense of quality due to high compression....For audiophile, this is like what TV dinners is to Julia Child.
Hey weatherman, exactly on target, TV dinner vs Julia Childs!

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
There are over 600 DVD-A disc available here. I can't play this format in my old car but I can in my home theater and they sound great. But there are not many audiophiles left today. Convenience has replaced quality.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...fig-DVA&page=1
robuckj (07-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
There are over 600 DVD-A disc available here. I can't play this format in my old car but I can in my home theater and they sound great. But there are not many audiophiles left today. Convenience has replaced quality.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...fig-DVA&page=1
Thank you Rocket Man......I appreciate having another source for DVD-A's to shop from.
I think I will do some shopping and hope to find a couple of these to buy. All I have now is my demo disc! Heard it.........200 times now.....NO..just kidding!!

I talked with Acura Cust. Service today and made my "official complaint"...LOL!!.....about this issue. IF I ever here anything back I'll pass it on....but, the Rep. took down all my info. and noted my issues with Acura and their promotion of the "system" without us having much of a selection of music to choose from, etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Interesting -- I found two DVD Audio discs on Amazon that are dated 2010 and 2011, and 2 "Future Releases" on CD Universe (thanks, RocketMan).

Assuming the information being displayed is accurate, maybe the format isn't really dead--it's just mostly dead.

Results from a search on Amazon for "DVD-AUDIO 5.1" included "Starless and Bible Black: 40th Anniversary Series" by King Crimson, Format: DVD Audio, "Original Release Date: 2011." Also by King Crimson is a 2010 release on DVD Audio, "Islands: 40th Anniversary Series."

The CD Universe's section for DVD-Audio lists 2 "future releases" for 2012, shown as DVD Video plus DVD Audio (apparently you get 2 discs with each):

Beethoven: Symphony No. 6; Respighi: Pines of Rome DVD Audio--shown as "scheduled to release Tuesday, July 31, 2012; DVD Audio + DVD Video

Brahms: Piano Quintet in F minor DVD--Scheduled to release
Tuesday, August 28, 2012; DVD Audio + DVD Video.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Yes, they are still available....and in the big picture of the audio world....they are still releasing "very few" discs. And the choice is not the greatest.....and when you find something you may want and look at the "new price".....it's then a "no deal."
A "Chicago" DVD-A is $212.00 on Amazon. A Led Zepplin is....$499.99!!!! Yeah....real attainable. So, no, it didn't die completely.....just on life support now.

Lots of "classical" music to be found...and not expensive.....Hmmmm.... I wonder why?? LOL!!

I did order two today. So, I'll have something. I searched on 3 sites and couldn't find much else....that I wanted to pay the money for. Damn, that Zepplin DVD-A cost more than my car payment!!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Well...all I can say is that for a "classic country music" fan like myself, there ain't much selection available. Most of the guys I listen too are either dead or haven't recorded in a while so its a real shame. But oh well.....As they say in French....C'est la vie!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Those prices you saw are not Amazon's retail, those are 3rd parties offering them for what they think the market will bear, but through Amazon's site.

All the ones I really want--Led Zep, Moody Blues, REM, etc. must have been bought up by foresighted speculators who offer them now on Amazon Marketplace for very high prices -- $75 and UP. I noticed that CDUniverse lists over 650 DVD-A titles, but most of those listed are just "repeated" listings from Amazon Marketplace, at those very-high prices. I'd guess that only about 10%-20% of the titles listed by CDUniverse are actually available to buy from their own site.

I checked E-Bay--the asking prices are just as high, but they get very few bids on them. One exception seemed to be Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" DVD-A, which routinely gets sold at $70 - $90 dollar winning bids. Somehow I managed to have bought that DVD-A from a Best Buy store 7 years ago, wanting to try out the sound quality; put it on a shelf and never opened it--until now. Great sound in the RDX!

I did get Elton John's "Yellow Brick Road" still available from Amazon's retail side, just after I bought the RDX in June; "Funeral for a Friend" never sounded better.

Last edited by robuckj; 07-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

..."Funeral for a Friend" never sounded better.
Sheesh....and people make fun of me when I listen to my twangy honky tonk music saying that its all about cheatin' or dyin'. "Funeral for a Friend" sounds like it could make a good country song too (lol)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Racer

Try buy.com that has several hundred dvd-audio's listed, including some newer stuff you'll actually recognize -- I just bought 4. Also, a site called Alibris.com also has a good size list of in-stock, used discs.
robuckj (07-24-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Depending on your musical tastes, there are about 2,900 selections available on Amazon for DVD-A. Some are pretty pricey.

For example, Metallica self titled album from 2001 is $48.77 new and $37.98 used.

Eagles Hotel California - New $199.99 new and $79.63 used

I was most shocked by this one....

Alan Parson's Project, I Robot (HDAD+DVD-A original recording remastered) used $2004.00!!

I was thinking they would be more than a regular CD, maybe $20-$25 each (as much as a new release Blu-Ray).

I was surprised by how much they are for some of the more mainstream artists of any genre.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bugfam4
Depending on your musical tastes, there are about 2,900 selections available on Amazon for DVD-A. Some are pretty pricey.

For example, Metallica self titled album from 2001 is $48.77 new and $37.98 used.

Eagles Hotel California - New $199.99 new and $79.63 used

I was most shocked by this one....

Alan Parson's Project, I Robot (HDAD+DVD-A original recording remastered) used $2004.00!!

I was thinking they would be more than a regular CD, maybe $20-$25 each (as much as a new release Blu-Ray).

I was surprised by how much they are for some of the more mainstream artists of any genre.

Guess I am tooooooo slow at typing......
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm sure that I'm not the first person to bring this up, and I apologize in advance for any repetition, but if Audio DVD's are nowhere to be found and/or obsolete, then why is Acura still making sound systems that run optimally with DVD audio? What's the point if that's the only way to get the "full experience" any nobody has any? Wouldn't it make more sense to get this full "surround sound" from an AUX (I-Pod) or some other CURRENT technology. It is called the "technology package" after all, lol. Just my 2 cents.....

Quick Reply: 5.1 Surround Sound