2017 MDX vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MDX vs RDX

We haven't owned an SUV for years. Currently we own a 2016 Super duty and an '08 TSX. I find the car uncomfortable on long trips but I usually like taking the truck anyway. We tow our 5th wheel RV with the truck. Kids have grown up so the SUV will mainly be for my wife to run around with. Is there any point in looking at the MDX or is the extra cost just throwing money away.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4ord
We haven't owned an SUV for years. Currently we own a 2016 Super duty and an '08 TSX. I find the car uncomfortable on long trips but I usually like taking the truck anyway. We tow our 5th wheel RV with the truck. Kids have grown up so the SUV will mainly be for my wife to run around with. Is there any point in looking at the MDX or is the extra cost just throwing money away.
I own both and can tell you from my perspective:
MDX pros:
much more comfortable seats for the long rides
significantly larger cargo capacity and venture to say to towing as well
more compliant and quieter ride
better Lane Keep Assist (at least in my experience)
Power everything

RDX pros
livelier and more spirited ride
fuel consumption is infinitely better than MDX
cheaper cost
more manageable size, especially for city driving/parking

Both have the same old infotainment and terrible backup cameras.
unfortunately for both if you want OEM parking sensors you have to step up to the Advance models.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
RDX does have everything a regular driver would need. It feels more responsive but the ride in the MDX is definitely more comfortable including the seats. Not that RDX has bad seats but MDX is just better. RDX is okay for long trips if you do not have that many people in the car.

For ladies I think the RDX work just fine. If you care about AWD then of course the MDX SHAWD is better.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Speaking of RDX seats, I find the right hand side bolster pretty uncomfortable as it pushes hard into my upper thigh and lower butt cheek area....I'm a 35 inch waist and this bolster is largely under my leg as opposed to beside it...these seats are made for little bums.....I am contemplating taking it to a local auto upholstery place, they have a guy who can remove some of the hard padding or otherwise just make it softer.
I found this issue in many SUV's I sat in or test drove ESPECIALLY the new Ford Edge
Old 12-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
Speaking of RDX seats, I find the right hand side bolster pretty uncomfortable as it pushes hard into my upper thigh and lower butt cheek area....I'm a 35 inch waist and this bolster is largely under my leg as opposed to beside it...these seats are made for little bums.....I am contemplating taking it to a local auto upholstery place, they have a guy who can remove some of the hard padding or otherwise just make it softer.
I found this issue in many SUV's I sat in or test drove ESPECIALLY the new Ford Edge
I checked out the Ford Edge before we bought our RDX....not impressed at all. I agree that the seats were not too comfortable; however, we haven't found an issue with the RDX...it must be all about body shape....
Old 12-08-2016, 09:12 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobiewah
I checked out the Ford Edge before we bought our RDX....not impressed at all. I agree that the seats were not too comfortable; however, we haven't found an issue with the RDX...it must be all about body shape....
For me the RDX has one of the most comfortable seats in a car I have owned. I agree that some of bigger full size SUVs have better seats. Of course the ride of an RDX cannot be compared to that of a full size F250 truck. Bigger is always better.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have a 11 MDX, 08 RDX and 06 TSX. I call my 06 TSX my "4 door coupe". It usually comes down to space for stuff, # of people, and travel time when I'm deciding which vehicle to take on a trip.

Long weekends with 2-3 folks up to a day trip away = RDX.
Long weekend or longer, 2-4 people, extra gear, and/or several days of driving = MDX.

I'm also looking to add a vehicle down the road and was think about the TLX or RDX since we are Empty Nesters" now. The wife and I took a week long vacation to the Grand Canyon and Sedona around Veteran's Day with our +120lbs of eBikes on the hitch. Much more comfortable and plenty of space in our MDX compared to doing the trip in our RDX. I'm pretty much looking to add a +17 MDX and scratching the TLX and RDX off my list as a replacement down the road.