2016 RDX spring noise when turning in the morning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 RDX spring noise when turning in the morning?

I've noticed a spring noise when turning when backing up first time in the morning. After that, the sound goes away until the next morning. I've taken the car in to the dealership - they were able to replicate the noise in the morning but said that was 'normal' because other cars on the lot had the same 'twang' sound when turning the wheel in the morning. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and said because the other cars on the lot had the same issue, it was 'normal'. This issue didn't show up until recently - I have about 1200 miles on the car.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I have a 2016 AWD RDX Tech.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:32 AM
1st Gear

Mine does this as well when I back out of the garage first time in the morning. Then I never hear the noise again. My last one did this as well. I say, leave well enough alone.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by spring noise, but what you are describing sounds like the ABS being activated. It happens only once when you first start moving the car for the first time. Cars have been like this they've started putting ABS systems on them.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
I'm not sure what you mean by spring noise, but what you are describing sounds like the ABS being activated. It happens only once when you first start moving the car for the first time. Cars have been like this they've started putting ABS systems on them.
Actually, I think I know exactly what he is talking about, I had the same EXACT scenario with a pos 2006 murano. Every morning backing out of the driveway it would make this audible twang! or boing! sound from somewhere and I could even feel the vibration from something popping. My guess is that one of the springs is not seated properly so it sets over night and then in the morning when you back out, it pops into place which is why you never hear it again?

I can't beleive the incompetence of some dealers. Just because another car on the lot does it, does not mean it is normal.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by el1668
I definitely have this issue. I don't have as many miles on mine as you yet but mine is new also. It did not do this for the first few weeks. It just started about a week ago and I noticed it goes away as soon as I start driving forward. It happens primarily when I am backing out of the garage for the first time in the morning as I move the steering wheel left and right. It's the exact noise of spring if you were to release it and went 'boing.' I have an AWD Advance.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Sounds like the upper strut mount bearing is not turning as it is supposed to. The suspension spring sits in rubber bushings on top and on the bottom. As you turn the wheel, the spring should turn with the strut, and the upper spring mount should pivot on the bearing.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RDX spring noise when turning in the morning?-strutforce.jpg  
Old 05-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I haven't experienced this issue..... yet
Old 05-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Let's hope this is not going to be a common problem. We only have a few rdx owning forum members, so this is in no way indicative of all rdx's. But that can be a good thing and a bad thing. Between this and the rear shock fiasco....Acura doesn't look so good anymore.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kierjohnson
I definitely have this issue. I don't have as many miles on mine as you yet but mine is new also. It did not do this for the first few weeks. It just started about a week ago and I noticed it goes away as soon as I start driving forward. It happens primarily when I am backing out of the garage for the first time in the morning as I move the steering wheel left and right. It's the exact noise of spring if you were to release it and went 'boing.' I have an AWD Advance.
Yea, it's a "doing" or "boing" sound when I turn the wheel. Should I take the car in again to have the dealer look at this? Is this a safety issue?

Also, what is the rear shock issue that was mentioned?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:31 PM
10th Gear

I've noticed a spring noise when turning when backing up first time in the morning. After that, the sound goes away until the next morning. I've taken the car in to the dealership - they were able to replicate the noise in the morning but said that was 'normal' because other cars on the lot had the same 'twang' sound when turning the wheel in the morning. They couldn't figure out what was wrong and said because the other cars on the lot had the same issue, it was 'normal'. This issue didn't show up until recently - I have about 1200 miles on the car.

I have a 2016 AWD RDX Tech.

Were you able to find a solution for this problem?

I am having the same issue. I am also starting to hear the same noise every so often when I brake.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:52 PM
Cruisin'

Nope, the guys at the dealership said all the other RDXs were making the same sound in the morning so it must be normal. lol... Now I'm also hearing loud braking screeches when I brake around 20mph. They replaced the front brakes but the noise came back pretty soon after. Maybe time for a Lexus or Audi...
Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Ours makes a similar noise, but it happens when the car is shifted from reverse to drive for the first time in the morning. Back out of the garage, down the driveway and into the street. Shift into drive and as the car moves forward there is a loud clunk sound. Never repeats after the first time in the am.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope, the guys at the dealership said all the other RDXs were making the same sound in the morning so it must be normal. lol... Now I'm also hearing loud braking screeches when I brake around 20mph. They replaced the front brakes but the noise came back pretty soon after. Maybe time for a Lexus or Audi...
Jeez their just OEM pads and rotors, if it's such a big deal go to the auto shop and pick up something you like. Whatever Acura has chosen for their OEM parts seem to have a tendency to make some noise for a few regardless of how many times they get swapped out.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
There was an Acura Technical Service bulletin on this. Mine doesn't make a boing sound when backing out in the morning but you do hear for 2 seconds a sound when you release the breaks. I think they have to replace the pads and rotors. The dealer will always try to tell you that it's "normal" so they don't have to do warranty work. Show them the Acura Technical Service bulletin and demand it gets looked at otherwise you will take it to Acura head office.