2015 Tech or 2016 Base or....conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015 | 10:46 AM
Intermediate

2015 Tech or 2016 Base or....conundrum

Hey everyone,

Just looking to bounce some ideas off enthusiasts!

So my wife and I have been hounding the car dealerships in Southern California and have done multiple test drives, lots of discussions, or countless hours reading over forums and websites. We've narrowed our new car search down to 3 models (NX, Q5, RDX) and have now to consider the fantastic deals on 2015 models and incoming changes on 2016 models.

Our gripe with the 2015 tech pack - nav system. Boy oh boy is that thing.. adequate. We just couldn't see the utility in it - bad I know but we use our phones for Waze and Google Maps for any journey assistance. Next, we checked out a 2015 Base model. Considering the price difference, makes a lot more sense for us. The two biggest things I'd miss: sound system and HID headlamps, biggest thing she'd miss: power lift gate. But for the price, tempting. However that 5 inch screen is a 1998 eye-sore.

We looked over the lot and saw a 2016 MDX - perfect, now we can check out the new dual screen interface that the new RDX tech package would receive - thinking it might be prudent (as compared to the trio) to invest the extra for that model. Yeesh, again, disappointed by the execution of the system. We felt it slow to respond, aesthetically unpleasing, un-intuitive, and the navigation function although better than the outgoing model still felt... adequate but didn't convince us to give up our phones. I can see it becoming less of an issue by augmenting the controls with steering wheel inputs - but ultimately it is too distracting. How I wish they would have used a wheel or peripheral in the cup-holder area for control. Maybe those that have had more time with it can chime in, does it get better? Are there tips and tricks to it that our salesman didn't enlighten us with? Any chatter about a firmware update to speed up the responses?(I know most manufactures typically have comparable response times on their units) We are not entirely against the dual screen setup and reserve judgement for our in-person impression/experience but for the almost $4,000 spread between base and tech, we don't see our utility in it as of now.

So so so. My logic is, a discounted 2015 tech pack or 2016 tech pack, which we originally set out to include in our comparison trio, now feels like a mismatch and the 2016 BASE model might be the ticket. According to projections and salesmen rhetoric, the '16 base and '15 tech will be within spitting distance of each other in terms of price (~$34,500-$35,000* + TTL).

As I understand, the only features we'd be giving up as compared to the 2015 tech are: navigation system and enhanced stereo system.

Things we'd gain: rear a/c vents, updated engine, updated body styling.

Then comes the price difference between the 2015 and 2016 Base models. Again, going off the "promised" sales prices I'm being told by multiple dealerships, a 2015 Base model will come in under $32,000. Let's assume $31,500 for sake of discussion. Is the 2016 Base model worth a ~$3,000+ premium over the 2015? I want to say In part - some of the difference is augmented by depreciation differential inherent in the "updated" model year, the superior standard features: heated seats, head lamps, power lift gate, etc. But if I'm honest with myself, I think I'm hoping the 2016 will be different in a way from the 2015 which ultimately left me wanting for.. more. At which point, I question the inclusion of the car in the comparison at all.

As far as the NX and Q5 go. I have a Volkswagen GTI - it has been mediocre in reliability, maintenance and overall value. Fun car but I fear VAG pricing and depreciation above 60,000 miles on a Q5. The best navigation system and interface of the trio. Softest ride for better or worse. It and the Lexus have the more 'upscale' tangibles but the RDX is comparable in intangibles. The quattro system means nil to us, however. Biggest appeal, to me at least, is the European Delivery. But it is the most expensive with the greatest anxiety attached

The NX is simply too small to be the goldilocks - I am 6'3 and my head touches the ceiling in the rear seat due to the sloping roof-line. Also, as anyone who's ever tried to get their perfect Lexus will know, finding one to your exact specs is like finding a needle in a haystack. The Nav interface (touchpad!?!) is horrendous, which I don't understand when they have a fantastic haptic-feedback system on other models. Nonetheless, the unit itself is very similar to the unit we experienced in the 2016 MDX. Ultimately, finding an F sport without nav has come up with only 1 car in the United States so far. Difficult to negotiate on a fair price when there's only one. Also difficult to rationalize when it isn't in the color combination you like. It is absolutely a form over function type vehicle which requires a heavy dose of Glenmorangie to rationalize.

Anyways, I saw some other folks were waiting on the sidelines on the 2016 and figured I'd make a thread about the search and wait. are always appreciated.

*2016 Base model price projected by end of year according to the high volume dealers i.e. once initial spur has worn off.
Old 05-07-2015 | 11:08 AM
Instructor

I would go with 2016 base, trying to negotiate the acurawatch included for free.
What colors combo are you looking for?
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (05-09-2015)
Old 05-07-2015 | 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Newer is better

Old 05-07-2015 | 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by giovane
I would go with 2016 base, trying to negotiate the acurawatch included for free.
What colors combo are you looking for?
Not a bad idea! In my rental experiences, I'm not a fan of driver safety assistance systems - they need better integration but I have not driven Acura's with them so I can't pass judgement yet.

Ebony interior required ideally Silver exterior but would settle for Gray. Absolutely annoying the restricted interior/exterior color combinations are - would love to do the blue or white with ebony interior.
Old 05-07-2015 | 11:48 AM
Advanced

I would go with the 2015 only if price was your primary concern. However, even with the Tech package the '15 seems at least 5 years behind the NX, Q5 and even the base 2016 RDX in terms of styling and features. Also, the price difference you pay now may be recouped (or lossed with the '15) in your resale value in the future.
2012wagon (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015 | 12:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trackappraiser
Not a bad idea! In my rental experiences, I'm not a fan of driver safety assistance systems - they need better integration but I have not driven Acura's with them so I can't pass judgement yet.
It's a $1,300 option that you might not use at all, but could be a good plus for resale value in the future. More and more cars are getting those features and one day they will be considered standard like power windows.
Old 05-07-2015 | 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll be the one to point you in the other direction, having just come off of a non-Tech previous-Gen MDX to a '15 Tech AWD RDX. And I did so consciously knowing the '16's were coming out pretty soon.

Yea, the Acura nav isn't up to par with things like Waze or even the phone-based nav systems. But the experience I had 2 summers ago down in the backwoods of Arkansas convinced me that you can't always rely on cell-based navigation to get you through. Down there, cell reception is sometimes non-existent - and even here in the hilly areas of NH/VT/ME you find dead-spots. So for me, a GPS-based nav system was something I was more comfortable with, even if it wasn't the latest thing. So for me I wanted nav. And the upgraded stereo and all the HDD capabilities were an added bonus.

But the real reason I went with the tech are some of those "everyday" reasons you talked about - remote hatch, HID headlights. And the fog lights - very helpful in the area that I live on very dark, rainy nights. The "missing" items in my '15 arent' really concerning - rear vents aren't really a need in this size SUV (proven via some hot days recently), the power passenger seat was fine for us, and the motor/tranny/AWD is fine for my needs.

So, yea, I'd consider a '15 Tech vs a '16 in a heartbeat - and not because the '16 is bad - but rather because the '15 isn't bad. It's a great car. Plus it's a model year earlier and (at least here) things like registration, insurance, etc are lower since it's a model year older.

Good luck with your decision. I'm more than happy with my '15 Tech, which turns 2 months old (to me) today!!!

andy
Old 05-07-2015 | 01:25 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Never judge a car without test driving it yourself. You might be surprised and wished you had test driven prior to making a decision. So wait for the 2016 version for better or worse and then make a educated decision so that you have no regrets. Good luck.
trackappraiser (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015 | 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Andy, thanks for the input! You're right - no matter what, the RDX at any year is a solid, well made vehicle and offers typical pedestrian utility and comfort in spades. One cannot go wrong with it, regardless of price. I love the concept of the tech package, I adored it in the TL's I test drove before I purchased my golf. But that was years ago... Right now I'm coming to terms with the "I should want Nav but I don't think it fits our life style" mental-tease.

Wife just emailed me from work, she feels the Q5 ought to be eliminated from the trio. Now we are down to 2 choices: RDX and NX! I can't wait to test drive the 2016 model. I'm a firm believer that a variety of small changes can make different impression overall.

Gotta say, great to have choices.
Old 05-07-2015 | 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Also, just got an email from Tustin Acura - they have two 2016 models on the lot today. Woo hoo!

Oh to have such problems!
Old 05-07-2015 | 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I would wait for the 2016 to hit the showrooms. Then I would do an extended test drive of the 2015 and then the 2016 model on a stretch of rough road that you are familiar with to see if they have made any improvements to the suspension.
That's my biggest gripe with the Acura and Hondas in general. You hear and feel every crack in the road. The Korean brands of late have done a much better job at engineering a solid feeling smooth riding noise isolating vehicle.
Old 05-09-2015 | 12:49 AM
Intermediate

Filer, that's the plan.

I drove by a smaller local Acura dealership this evening after dinner to see if by chance they had any - was told it wouldn't be until third week of May Anyways, decided to spend a little more time with the dual screen system in a 2016 MDX.

This time around, I felt a little more comfortable with it but still despise the unnecessary complexity of layering functions and cannot believe the interface presentation (graphics) are that way. Action events should result in request - result, not request - request - request - result. How maddening!

Anyways, stoked to check out a 2016 model nonetheless.

A question that has popped up. Does anyone have any information on the 2016 base interior? I see there is a leatherette material instead of leather (first time for RDX's?!) and I'm wondering what the center console looks like without the dual screen system. If anyone has seen a picture or experience with a 2016 base interior - please chime in!

on a side note

Giovane - you brought up an excellent point and something I spent a little while reflecting on. In a larger context, it's interesting to see paradigm shifts of safety/expectation/marketing work out on general consumer consumption items - especially the creep from smaller things to bigger, more expensive things. Cell phones come to mind. My big hiccup with buying any premium brand is my propensity for anti-premium-options. Sunroofs? Hate em. Navigation systems? Don't care for them. Supple leather? Not in my car. But I do enjoy the quite and serene ride of a well sorted vehicle, and in the RDX's case - the seriously enjoyable V6 and conventional torque-converted 6 speed automatic. There is a difference between a CR-V with leather, and a CR-V built for leather. Anyways, it's the wife's car

Anyways, I believe the Acura Watch Package is good for many people, I encourage autonomous safety in all regards especially as I don't believe the general public take driving seriously. I do not see the value for my own vehicle (how arrogant!) nor do I believe the increased residual value will make up for the initial investment. It will add to the resale but I don't think it'll make up for the upfront cost. Like a Honda Accord of 4 years ago doesn't have a back-up camera standard, that doesn't negatively impact the resale values of Accords. Now, 15 years down the line - maybe.
Old 05-09-2015 | 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Ok, found a few interior shots of a 2016 base model from the Phanka Acura dealership website. Hope they don't mind if I share them here...

Hard to get an impression of the leatherette from the pictures. The center console looks to be a carry over from the 2015 model. I welcome the simple nature of it!

Boy do the new '16 lines look good. I even like those ninja-star wheels in a bizarre way.
Old 05-09-2015 | 12:34 PM
Azine Jabroni

I love the look of the 2016, so I would take that every time.

This is kind of a win-win honestly.
Old 05-09-2015 | 12:44 PM
Intermediate

I agree, win-win.

Cool avatar by the way.
kurtatx (05-10-2015)
Old 05-09-2015 | 04:06 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I thought the interior of 2016 versions looks different (with dual screens). Are you sure you are inside the 2016 model? Can you post some exterior shots please...?
Old 05-09-2015 | 04:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Comfy
I thought the interior of 2016 versions looks different (with dual screens). Are you sure you are inside the 2016 model? Can you post some exterior shots please...?
Comfy, these pics were of a 2016 base model - dual screen is for Tech/Advance pack. Here ya go:

I am in no way associated with this dealership, just stumbled across their inventory page when searching for 2016 interior pictures.

Search - Pohanka Acura

You can check out all the differences between 2016 trim models.
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:00 AM
Azine Jabroni

I agree, win-win.

Cool avatar by the way.
Thanks! I live right down the street. Can't wait for November!
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:14 AM
Racer

2016 Base (or 2016 Tech, if your budget allows), if the overall cost of ownership (not just purchase price, but resale price as well) is to be considered.

The 2016 simply has too many improvements to just blow off. However, the qualifier here is that you need to be enough of an enthusiast to even care about these improvements, and that your budget isn't so stretched that you have no flexibility in the initial purchase price.
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

I had the opportunity to sit in a friend's 3rd gen MDX the other day, and I played around with the second "touch" screen that shares similarities with what the '16 RDX has. And I gotta tell you - maybe I'm just an old guy set in my ways - but I'm just not digging it. Don't get me wrong, I work in high tech and actually spend a lot of quality time with both an Apple and windows tablet and love that level of UI. But in a car, where you try to keep your eyes on the road and reach for things that are familiar, I figure that I'd be that much closer to drifting off the road if I had to figure out where to find things on that display.

Sure, some day all cars will be designed this way, and I'll have to suck it up. But for me, the config on my '15 RDX Tech works well for me and I'm not sure I'd want the '16 "upgrade". And interestingly enough, my wife has a similar issue with the 2nd screen on the TLX, which means she's extremely likely to buy out her '12 SH-AWD TL Tech at the end of the lease rather than roll into a TLX lease with similar features.

Just my $.02...

andy
Old 05-10-2015 | 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm with you on this Andy. The new interface is not very intuitive at all.
I have Sync with the touch screen in my Mustang and I don't care for it at all.
I'll take the control knob input method over a smeared up touch screen given the choice.
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:37 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by andysinnh
I had the opportunity to sit in a friend's 3rd gen MDX the other day, and I played around with the second "touch" screen that shares similarities with what the '16 RDX has. And I gotta tell you - maybe I'm just an old guy set in my ways - but I'm just not digging it. Don't get me wrong, I work in high tech and actually spend a lot of quality time with both an Apple and windows tablet and love that level of UI. But in a car, where you try to keep your eyes on the road and reach for things that are familiar, I figure that I'd be that much closer to drifting off the road if I had to figure out where to find things on that display.

Sure, some day all cars will be designed this way, and I'll have to suck it up. But for me, the config on my '15 RDX Tech works well for me and I'm not sure I'd want the '16 "upgrade". And interestingly enough, my wife has a similar issue with the 2nd screen on the TLX, which means she's extremely likely to buy out her '12 SH-AWD TL Tech at the end of the lease rather than roll into a TLX lease with similar features.

Just my $.02...

andy
I too am a fan of "real" knobs and buttons (but it should have a good quality feel) and would prefer it over touch screens for the above mentioned reasons. In future, may be the voice inputs may take over these functions completely, but currently they are not up to par.
Old 05-11-2015 | 06:06 AM
Instructor

The '16 interior looks a little bland IMO. You could probably get a better deal negotiating on a late model '15 tech. More options for a better price is a no-brainer. Unless you plan on trading the car in after a few years, I say go with the 15 tech!
Old 05-11-2015 | 09:37 AM
Pro

I think you/we are one month from a better deal on the '15...end of quarter approaching and more '16s on the lot. Downside to waiting is possibly losing the particular unit '15 you have your eyes on. IF the dealer has a decent stock of '15s, I'd try to wait a few weeks. Of course, saving another grand on the '15 might just complicate matters even more!

Not apples to apples; but I got SIX thousand off our RX330 after the RX350 hit the showrooms(and got the same deal for a friend...no hassle). Timing can be 'everything'.
Old 05-11-2015 | 01:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I think you/we are one month from a better deal on the '15...end of quarter approaching and more '16s on the lot. Downside to waiting is possibly losing the particular unit '15 you have your eyes on. IF the dealer has a decent stock of '15s, I'd try to wait a few weeks. Of course, saving another grand on the '15 might just complicate matters even more!

Not apples to apples; but I got SIX thousand off our RX330 after the RX350 hit the showrooms(and got the same deal for a friend...no hassle). Timing can be 'everything'.
I agree, timing can be critical in this situation. I spoke to a dealer casually about a month ago. He verbally quoted 36K + TTL on a 2015 TECH AWD. I am not sure if there was a catch but I think there is definately room for some good negotiation now since we have the 2016s on the lot.
Old 05-11-2015 | 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arpypat
The '16 interior looks a little bland IMO. You could probably get a better deal negotiating on a late model '15 tech. More options for a better price is a no-brainer. Unless you plan on trading the car in after a few years, I say go with the 15 tech!
Ya think so? We did an extended test drive in a 2015 Tech pack and thought for the same price as a 2016 Base, we'd rather get the base. It's essentially the same exact console minus the enlarged top screen (from 5'' to 7'' or something).

We don't care for Acura's navigation unit. At all. Fog lights mean jack-diddly here in the Southern California concrete jungle and as far as I can tell the only useful feature's we'd be missing out on are the 3 extra speakers on the enhanced sound system. I'm a cheap b@stard and the missus loves the new exterior kit on the 2016, so it's a win - win for us.

$37,450 OTD for a 2016 Base in Graphite Luster with a first-aid kit thrown in (haha!) is our hold-out
Old 05-12-2015 | 03:54 AM
Summer is Coming

Don't forget the height adjustable passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:15 AM
7th Gear

Any chance they raised the passenger seat height of the non-adjustable '16 base? The '15s were much too low for comfort.
Old 05-18-2015 | 01:19 PM
Pro

Why not go tech, what's the point of buying a nice expensive vehicle just to go base?.
Old 05-18-2015 | 01:26 PM
Intermediate

Joe,

Well - the RDX is the value leader among the pack, heh. But considering typical average cars purchased nowadays cost around $32k the $34k RDX base isn't far off. If we remove the navigation unit from the equation: why go tech on a 2015 over a 2016 base? Wife and I didn't see anything else to justify it.
Old 05-19-2015 | 01:03 AM
Pro

Joe,

Well - the RDX is the value leader among the pack, heh. But considering typical average cars purchased nowadays cost around $32k the $34k RDX base isn't far off. If we remove the navigation unit from the equation: why go tech on a 2015 over a 2016 base? Wife and I didn't see anything else to justify it.
HID's, great sound, 8" vs. 5" screen, great when backing up, makes it worth it IMO.
Old 05-19-2015 | 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

We just got a 15 AWD Tech instead of a 16 AWD Tech. The main reasons for this are that we wanted buttons instead of the touch screen, and we knew we could get a better deal on the 15.

Some things we lost were 1 MPG improvement, a few more HP, rear AC vents (really surprised the 15 didn’t have this), height adjustable passenger seat (big thing for me), and improved exterior looks (except the wheels).

If nothing else, I would get the Tech Pkg over the Base just because of the better stereo, height adjustable passenger seat (16), and reverse cam view. I am impressed with the Tech stereo, and think the sub sounds better than my 11 MDX Tech. The reverse cam is also much improved in resolution over my 11 MDX Tech.
Old 05-19-2015 | 05:54 PM
Instructor

My wife and I drove several AWD suv's and once we drove the 2016 RDX we were hooked and put a down payment down yesterday and just waiting for it to arrive
Old 05-20-2015 | 04:54 PM
Intermediate

Jim, congrats! Which color and trim level did you decide to go with?

For those reading this thread that are on the side lines about getting an RDX. I stumbled on this video earlier today:

It's a child seat review of a 2014 model. Definitely helped put 'size' into perspective when cross shopping with other cars. His comments on the dimension illusions are spot on, I always think the RDX is smaller than what it is. It's bigger than the Lexus RX in overall passenger volume (but not cargo).
Old 06-23-2020 | 05:40 PM
6G TLX-S

Sorry, wrong forum !