2015 Base vs 2013 Tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014 | 02:04 PM
Advanced

2015 Base vs 2013 Tech

I've been dying to upgrade from my 2009 TSX to a RDX. I had seen a used 2013 but it was 4 hrs away and it was sold by the time I made it to visit my family in that town. The 2013s I've seen since have been priced $2-3K higher with twice the miles and they are all 4 hrs away....none of the dealers in my vicinity have any used 2013s and the few that had the used 2014s sold them over the weekend when they received the 2015s inventory.

I saw a used 2013 for almost $33K with the tech package and 32K miles. My local dealer has a base 2015 for $35K and he keeps telling me he'll do "something stupid" to get me in that car and give me the highest he can for my trade since we've been doing this dance since Dec last year. My TSX is base and whereas I haven't really missed the tech package and I have a GPS, I really wanted to go all out on my next ride.

Does it make sense to buy a used tech RDX with that many miles whereas I could easily get a new one for almost the same price? What will I be missing with the new base?
Old 07-03-2014 | 02:15 PM
Instructor

It really doesn't matter. Whether you buy a 2013 or a 2015 you'll still be at the dealer service every other month. So mine as well go for the cheaper headache.
Old 07-03-2014 | 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Get a new RDX Tech and keep it for a long time.

As much as the RDX is lacking in features, the base will leave you with "I should've" for a long time. I think I mentioned this in your other thread, did you consider/test drive a used 2010+ RX350?
Old 07-03-2014 | 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

I suggest you go for the 2015 Base. I'm not a fan of used cars because you never know how the previous owner handled the vehicle. I have a new 2014 Base simply b/c the 3k more for the tech was not worth it for me. GPS, I can get my own with lifetime traffic/map if it gets old I can always replace it (as opposed to the one in the car where you need to pay $$$ to update it). Better sound system is not worth for me neither because the sound system in the Base model is more than enough. And the power tailgate. Well...you could use the exercise and close your own damn trunk
Old 07-03-2014 | 05:31 PM
Racer

go for the 2015 but you want Tech package. the thing is the 2013 RDX Tech is actually a 39K car with less than 20K miles on it (we have one and dealer wanted to buy it back) right now the used car market is on a climb so they are asking for more from used cars and people are paying it.

there is no difference in the 2013 - 2015. one is newer than the other. Get the 2015 Tech package. no need for running boards or roof rack, also the protection package on the door trim is cheaper 3rd party as well as the allweather mats.
Old 07-03-2014 | 06:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ottoman101
It really doesn't matter. Whether you buy a 2013 or a 2015 you'll still be at the dealer service every other month. So mine as well go for the cheaper headache.
OR you could have a '13 and only drop by the dealer for scheduled service(as I have for almost 24K miles)...do have one re-call to take care of next week when in for the 24K mile service.
Old 07-03-2014 | 07:35 PM
Advanced

...ouch....I've been reading a lot on here about how most owners are dissatisfied and Acura hasn't done much to fix the issues. Is that what you've been taking yours in for? I am a bit hesitant to trade in my TSX which other than the regular stuff like getting new tires, brakes and alignment and oil changes, I haven't had any issues with it thus far.

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Get a new RDX Tech and keep it for a long time. As much as the RDX is lacking in features, the base will leave you with "I should've" for a long time. I think I mentioned this in your other thread, did you consider/test drive a used 2010+ RX350?
A new Tech is more than I am willing to spend right now and knowing myself, I'll probably regret not getting tech, new or used. I intend to keep the car for longer than 5 years and would hate to regret "settling" for the base. As for the RX350, my employer and his family have the lot full of Lexus, 3 SUVs too and one of them is the RX350...plus I think I've seen like they are more expensive to maintain in the long run...I don't want to be a copy cat plus I just like the RDX look better. I still might look into test driving one and see. I test drove a Murano and a RAV4 and both were missing the umph that the RDX does and my TSX feels like it handles better than them. The guy at Toyota was shocked when I pulled up and first words out of his mouth were "You are looking out of this ('09 TSX)?" He was even more shocked when I told him it was '09 because the car looks immaculate on the outside and inside. Made me think twice about trading it...LOL.

Originally Posted by Viveno
I suggest you go for the 2015 Base. I'm not a fan of used cars because you never know how the previous owner handled the vehicle. I have a new 2014 Base simply b/c the 3k more for the tech was not worth it for me. GPS, I can get my own with lifetime traffic/map if it gets old I can always replace it (as opposed to the one in the car where you need to pay $$$ to update it). Better sound system is not worth for me neither because the sound system in the Base model is more than enough. And the power tailgate. Well...you could use the exercise and close your own damn trunk
I dunno, I compared the two side to side and they don't look too different. I drove my coworkers XC60 that she bought new 2 years ago and was surprised it didn't have a rear view camera and I like the RDX dashboard better. The dealer told me he'll see if he can work something out for me this Saturday and maybe I can test drive both base and tech back to back and see if I can live with the base. I've lived with the base TSX and my friend who drives a fully loaded Jaguar XF told me he could live without the GPS and rarely uses it.

Originally Posted by Speeden6
go for the 2015 but you want Tech package. the thing is the 2013 RDX Tech is actually a 39K car with less than 20K miles on it (we have one and dealer wanted to buy it back) right now the used car market is on a climb so they are asking for more from used cars and people are paying it.

there is no difference in the 2013 - 2015. one is newer than the other. Get the 2015 Tech package. no need for running boards or roof rack, also the protection package on the door trim is cheaper 3rd party as well as the allweather mats.
Man, a stripped down 2015 Tech is kinda a little more than I am willing to spend and it doesn't look like anyone has traded in a 2013 RDX in my dealership...I was hoping one will come up when they had their huge sale last weekend but I can't find one within 200 miles radius...and the one I saw for $28K has 65K miles! Maybe I should hold off another year or two and start shopping again. The dealer sales manager knows what specs, price and mile range I am looking for and he told me he'll keep an eye out for one for me.
Old 07-03-2014 | 07:50 PM
Make it #7!

My old man, may he Rest In Peace, used to say “MARRY IN HASTE, REPENT AT LEISURE.” Pretty much applies to most anything. Wait until you find exactly what you want.
Old 07-04-2014 | 01:00 AM
1st Gear

I don't know where you live but my local dealer had 3 2014 FWD tech packages listed at $35k with 6k miles and the dealer 40 minutes away had one listed at $34k with 3k miles. $33k for 32k miles is insane.
Old 07-04-2014 | 07:49 AM
mrgold35

If there is nothing wrong with your TSX. I would wait another year for the RDX MMC. It would give you more time to look for a better deal in that time. You can save additional $$ or pay off more bills. You can see what MMC changes for the +2016 RDX; which, might drop prices for 13-15 pre-MMC RDXs. A used 2014 MDX will be in the same price range of the 2015-2016 RDX. The TLX will be out for a while and you might decide to take a look.

A lot more possibilities if you have the time.
Old 07-06-2014 | 04:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
My old man, may he Rest In Peace, used to say “MARRY IN HASTE, REPENT AT LEISURE.” Pretty much applies to most anything. Wait until you find exactly what you want.
Smart old man. Patience happens to be not one of my better virtues..., plus I've been eyeing the RDX since Dec last year so those 6 mths count for something!

Originally Posted by xulong
I don't know where you live but my local dealer had 3 2014 FWD tech packages listed at $35k with 6k miles and the dealer 40 minutes away had one listed at $34k with 3k miles. $33k for 32k miles is insane.
The 2014 my dealer had were priced around $39K with around 10k miles yet they have been long gone. I did see one 2013 base with 10K miles for $32K and it was gone before they were done posting it online.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
If there is nothing wrong with your TSX. I would wait another year for the RDX MMC. It would give you more time to look for a better deal in that time. You can save additional $$ or pay off more bills. You can see what MMC changes for the +2016 RDX; which, might drop prices for 13-15 pre-MMC RDXs. A used 2014 MDX will be in the same price range of the 2015-2016 RDX. The TLX will be out for a while and you might decide to take a look.

A lot more possibilities if you have the time.
I've got nothing but time...to stew about wanting the RDX and it is driving me insane. I think I'm bored and need a new hobby or something. I've been considering maybe driving the TSX until it hits 100K miles and doing a private sale (1.5 - 2yrs from now) but I think I'll lose my mind before that time is up. I already have two people who say they'd buy it from me in 2 yrs but one of them is my brother and I'd rather not do any business with him and the other one is my coworker who I know would also want to do a payment plan and since I already know her spending habits, I'd rather not.

Ugh, I see another dealer has a 2013 tech with 30K miles. I'm waiting on the sales guy I am talking with to give me the price and see if I finally have me a winner. If this one is not it, I'm done looking for another 6 mths.
Old 07-07-2014 | 05:53 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Viveno

Couldn't agree more. Got my Garmin with lifetime updates, sound is good, etc. Rather see you in a new base than a used with tech. Don't believe they drive differently? Everyone will have an opinion.
Old 07-08-2014 | 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
...ouch....I've been reading a lot on here about how most owners are dissatisfied and Acura hasn't done much to fix the issues. Is that what you've been taking yours in for? I am a bit hesitant to trade in my TSX which other than the regular stuff like getting new tires, brakes and alignment and oil changes, I haven't had any issues with it thus far.
I've own the 2013 RDX Tech for 20 months now, and I've been to service 11 or 12 times so far.

The last time I went was back in May because my seat belt was shredding. They had to replace it. Here are the photos:
2015 Base vs 2013 Tech-img_2077.jpg

2015 Base vs 2013 Tech-img_2078.jpg

Now lately the "tighten gas cap" warning keeps popping up, and I noticed my dashboard is warping along the windshield behind the nav screen. My RDX has had almost any problem mentioned on this forum, and then some.

All the problems are no doubt a lack of quality. My 2007 RDX had hardly any problems, same as your TSX. I wouldn't trade it if I were you. Buy another brand.
Old 07-08-2014 | 04:56 PM
Advanced

All the problems are no doubt a lack of quality. My 2007 RDX had hardly any problems, same as your TSX. I wouldn't trade it if I were you. Buy another brand.
I've been trying to figure out what a comparable brand is and at that price range. I've driven the Volvo XC60 but didn't care for it much and the RX350 is also out. I even test drove the Murano and the RAV4 and was underwhelmed. My local Acura dealer had a used fully loaded Cadi SRX that looked real sharp and within my budget but it was sold before I could even test drive it.

As much as I've read complaints on here about the 2nd gen RDXs, I am shocked at how quickly the used ones I come across are being sold! Some of them are sold even before they get posted online by folks who are calling in and securing them with a credit card to ensure they are there when they get there. Maybe I should wait until the MMC next year and see what changes/refresh, if at all, that will be done and then maybe get a base 2016 or a used tech.
Old 07-09-2014 | 03:20 AM
Instructor

I've been trying to figure out what a comparable brand is and at that price range. I've driven the Volvo XC60 but didn't care for it much and the RX350 is also out. I even test drove the Murano and the RAV4 and was underwhelmed. My local Acura dealer had a used fully loaded Cadi SRX that looked real sharp and within my budget but it was sold before I could even test drive it.

As much as I've read complaints on here about the 2nd gen RDXs, I am shocked at how quickly the used ones I come across are being sold! Some of them are sold even before they get posted online by folks who are calling in and securing them with a credit card to ensure they are there when they get there. Maybe I should wait until the MMC next year and see what changes/refresh, if at all, that will be done and then maybe get a base 2016 or a used tech.
Go German. BMW X3 or Mercedes GLK. Not Audi Q5 though. I hear they have problems too.

My sister has a 2012 GLK. She paid $39k brand new, which is the same as my RDX with comparable features. They had some great promotional discount at the time. I think it was called Mercedes Conquest. I'm sure you can get used ones at very good prices too. It's a well built, well engineered, solid machine. Blows my RDX away in quality.
Old 07-09-2014 | 04:41 AM
Racer

How about Lexus or Infiniti?
Old 07-09-2014 | 01:52 PM
Advanced

Go German. BMW X3 or Mercedes GLK. Not Audi Q5 though. I hear they have problems too.

My sister has a 2012 GLK. She paid $39k brand new, which is the same as my RDX with comparable features. They had some great promotional discount at the time. I think it was called Mercedes Conquest. I'm sure you can get used ones at very good prices too. It's a well built, well engineered, solid machine. Blows my RDX away in quality.
Uh, since I plan to drive the car way after the warranty expires, I don't think I can afford the upkeep on a bimmer or benz. Plus boss' daughter had a GLK that she returned because she complained about the gas mileage among other things and her pockets are way deeper than mine. I consider those two brands high end whereas Acura is either midway or more so wonnabe and within my budget as far as long term maintenance go. I think as long as all the glitches with the RDX are covered under warranty and you are not coming out of pocket. I wish the MDX didn't feel like a house and the Murano and RAV4 handled better. I've considered the Pilot but it too feels like a house for just my son and I. And am 5ft 3in so not very tall.

Maybe I am better off with a base RDX and I can trade it in 5 or so years down the line when I am hopefully able to afford a BMW or Mercedes.

Originally Posted by kareshi
How about Lexus or Infiniti?
Lexus is out and I've looked at the Infiniti FX35 and it feels more like a sedan on wheels than a crossover SUV. This is making me think maybe I should get a base RDX for now and go all out on the next car. Or revert to my original plan and keep the TSX until the 2016s come out and I can see if they address the main customer complaints.

The thing is the new car bug won't go away and I might find myself acting sooner rather than later...dunno when or how I got bit but I am ready to be over it already.
Old 07-09-2014 | 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Check out the top level KIA Sorrento SX. After going back and forth between this car and the RDX, my brother elected to go with the KIA. Had I held off on purchasing the RDX for a year, I would have gone with the KIA too.
It makes my RDX seem rather plain in comparison and the ride is much, much better.
Old 07-09-2014 | 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Uh, since I plan to drive the car way after the warranty expires, I don't think I can afford the upkeep on a bimmer or benz. Plus boss' daughter had a GLK that she returned because she complained about the gas mileage among other things and her pockets are way deeper than mine. I consider those two brands high end whereas Acura is either midway or more so wonnabe and within my budget as far as long term maintenance go. I think as long as all the glitches with the RDX are covered under warranty and you are not coming out of pocket. I wish the MDX didn't feel like a house and the Murano and RAV4 handled better. I've considered the Pilot but it too feels like a house for just my son and I. And am 5ft 3in so not very tall.

Maybe I am better off with a base RDX and I can trade it in 5 or so years down the line when I am hopefully able to afford a BMW or Mercedes.

Lexus is out and I've looked at the Infiniti FX35 and it feels more like a sedan on wheels than a crossover SUV. This is making me think maybe I should get a base RDX for now and go all out on the next car. Or revert to my original plan and keep the TSX until the 2016s come out and I can see if they address the main customer complaints.

The thing is the new car bug won't go away and I might find myself acting sooner rather than later...dunno when or how I got bit but I am ready to be over it already.
You are one picky customer, aren't you? Lol Hope you can make up your mind soon and good luck with the purchase.
Old 07-09-2014 | 07:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Check out the top level KIA Sorrento SX. After going back and forth between this car and the RDX, my brother elected to go with the KIA. Had I held off on purchasing the RDX for a year, I would have gone with the KIA too.
It makes my RDX seem rather plain in comparison and the ride is much, much better.
Based on perception alone, and I know I shouldn't knock Kia before I test drive it, going from an Acura to a Kia feels like a major step down. I did go by a Kia lot and I didn't care for the cheap leather feel. I have also been thinking of checking out the Hyundai Santa Fe and Tuscon. Heck, maybe even the Mazda but last time I was in a Mazda cx9 I didn't care for the interior look.

On another note, I saw a white QX50 on the expressway and I think that look can grow on me. Looks like I am in for a lot of test driving.

You are one picky customer, aren't you? Lol Hope you can make up your mind soon and good luck with the purchase.
I hope so too! I don't know if I would say picky at this point or just plain confused....so many options and I can't have everything I want in one car....at least not within the budget I am working with and I don't feel like doing some clever financing to make it work.

I was so dead set on the RDX and even seeing some of the mentioned contenders on the Acura lot where someone traded them in either for the RDX or MDX makes me wonder whats the appeal. There were like 5 RX350s, 1 FX35, Cadis, BMWs and on the flip side, I'm hard pressed to find the 2nd gen RDX traded in on other brand lots and Acura is selling the used ones quicker than they can get them. Decisions, decisions! I need a drink.
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:31 PM
Racer

or you can lease the RDX for 2 years and revisit again at that time
Old 07-10-2014 | 09:44 AM
Racer

If you can wait, then wait for Lexus NX which will be out soon and then make the decision.
Old 07-10-2014 | 11:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by guytdt
If you can wait, then wait for Lexus NX which will be out soon and then make the decision.
What is the MSRP? I can't find it online. I am also not on board with the new grille the Lexus are sporting.
Old 07-10-2014 | 03:03 PM
Instructor

Plus boss' daughter had a GLK that she returned because she complained about the gas mileage among other things and her pockets are way deeper than mine.
It depends on what year GLK you get. 2010-2012 has bad gas mileage, but 2013+ the engine can shut off cylinders and such. The MPG shouldn't be so bad now.
Old 07-11-2014 | 09:47 AM
Advanced

Well good folks, I finally lived up to my name yesterday and I am now officially GurlRDX. I just couldn't take the little noise in my head anymore and since trying to talk myself into waiting or getting another brand failed, it was yesterday or never.

I decided to go with the 2015 base since other than the power lift gate, it didn't seem like I would gaining all that more with the tech. My base TSX had served me well and between my iPhone (which I hope will play on the RDX since after the last upgrade I couldn't get Pandora to play in the TSX) and my Magellan GPS, I'll do fine navigation wise. At least the base comes with a rear view camera. I did get $1K less on the trade from what the dealer offered me 6 mths ago but he did match the Carmax offer from 6 mths and was $300 over KBB. Given that I had since put 5k miles, had a broken fog light and the arm rest on the TSX would need to be replaced, I think that wasn't too bad. He also gave me a $1,500 discount off MSRP on the base so all in all I think I got a good deal, even though as always is the case, I wonder if I could have gotten a better deal. I did have to pay a $350 destination charge to get the color combo that I wanted here on Monday. The dealer in turn will give me the all weather mats and cargo tray and leather protection.

I do wish I had done the deal the first time around because I could have come out a bit ahead on the trade and wouldn't have had to pay the destination charge since he had the 2014 base color combo I wanted back in Dec. But I am glad I did it now because the price cut I would have gotten on the 2015s or even 2016 base would have been negated by getting less on the trade due to more miles...and I had the 75k maintenance coming up and who knows what else. There were 4 other TSX owners who traded in their cars too and one lady who had a '06 TSX who had just paid $500 to get some work done on it almost wanted to get the RDX especially when she saw I got it. They got her the same way they got me by putting her in a loaner RDX when her car was in the shop. They were telling her they'd give her the $500 back to get her in a new car...wonder what she ended up deciding.

The dealer was going to put me back on my TSX until Monday and I told him if I have to go back home with the TSX, we might as well call of the deal. He put me on the base he had for sale with the color combo I wanted but with all the accessories added....I wish I could keep this car!!! The only thing I would want to add on the base I am getting Monday is the running board so my son can having something to step on to get in the back. Anyone know where I can get them for cheap or even see if the dealer can match the cost? He told me he will see if he can work something out for me Monday and if I know what the aftermarket cost is, maybe I can have him match it. Acura cost is $900! The dealer also told me I would get better mpg on the RDX than the TSX, yeah right! He did tell me I can use regular gas on the RDX. After scouring posts on here and basically seeing the concensus was there is not that big a difference in mpg from using regular or premium, I think I'll do regular...or should I do mid grade? Is there any other preventative measures I should take with the new base to save on repairs down the road other than the obvious oil changes on time and what not?
Old 07-11-2014 | 10:30 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

As far as I know, the manual recommends premium grade fuel ( >91 octane). From where did you get the recommendation for regular gas?
Old 07-11-2014 | 12:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
As far as I know, the manual recommends premium grade fuel ( >91 octane). From where did you get the recommendation for regular gas?
I don't think op said regular gas is recommended. it was just suggested by the dealer. Premium is recommended but not required, and the sales do keep mentioning it. There's a reason to recommend premium gas imo. in terms of gas mpg, it's definitely not better than tsx. at least not with the 07 tsx.

but congrats op on the purchase!
Old 07-12-2014 | 06:33 AM
Cruisin'

Congrats on your purchase, best decision IMO. I go with mid grade, but I'm in Florida, no hills, easy on the engine.
Old 07-14-2014 | 12:50 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

My neighbor who lives in Florida also uses mid grade. He is a drive line mechanic and his brother that works at a Acura dealer recommended that for hot climates mid grade is fine. Cold climates are perfectly good with the lower grade. Per the Acura mechanic, heat is the deciding factor and Premium is not required.
Old 07-14-2014 | 02:58 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Congratulations on your new car as well. I'm sure you will enjoy it as all of us here do. So premium fuel is not mandatory.... Great... Something for me to consider. My roads are mostly hilly.
Old 07-22-2014 | 07:20 AM
Advanced

One week in with the 2015 base and even though I'm liking driving it better than the 09 TSX, I'm already wondering if I should have held out for the tech package. The dashboard looks like a carbon copy of the base TSX and only plus is there is no glare. Other than that, and I know it's too soon, I am loving this car and smiling every time I get in and out and my 3 yr old looks like he enjoys it too. The dealer sold the car to me for $32,900 and he gave me the running boards which make it easier for my son to get in the back by himself so I think I did well on the price.

I have two road trips the coming two weekends which is what has me wishing I have the navi instead of having to pull out my little GPS. Since that is the only thing I miss on the tech and don't do much night driving to care about the HID and barely ever used the fog lights on the TSX, I don't have any regret, given that this is my first new car that I drove off the lot with just 8 miles on the odometer. I plan to drive the car until the wheels fall off (which I've gotten a few laughs from family & friends who are saying to wait until I get bit by the bug again) so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the base after the road trips.
Old 07-22-2014 | 10:02 AM
Racer

One week in with the 2015 base and even though I'm liking driving it better than the 09 TSX, I'm already wondering if I should have held out for the tech package. The dashboard looks like a carbon copy of the base TSX and only plus is there is no glare. Other than that, and I know it's too soon, I am loving this car and smiling every time I get in and out and my 3 yr old looks like he enjoys it too. The dealer sold the car to me for $32,900 and he gave me the running boards which make it easier for my son to get in the back by himself so I think I did well on the price.

I have two road trips the coming two weekends which is what has me wishing I have the navi instead of having to pull out my little GPS. Since that is the only thing I miss on the tech and don't do much night driving to care about the HID and barely ever used the fog lights on the TSX, I don't have any regret, given that this is my first new car that I drove off the lot with just 8 miles on the odometer. I plan to drive the car until the wheels fall off (which I've gotten a few laughs from family & friends who are saying to wait until I get bit by the bug again) so it will be interesting to see how I feel about the base after the road trips.
Glad to see your feedback. In what ways do you think it drives better than the 09 TSX? The Acura navi does have drawback but provide the convenience of seeing the map without pulling up the phone and tapping, which can be dangerous. $32,900 with free running board is good deal.
Old 07-22-2014 | 10:33 AM
Advanced

Glad to see your feedback. In what ways do you think it drives better than the 09 TSX? The Acura navi does have drawback but provide the convenience of seeing the map without pulling up the phone and tapping, which can be dangerous. $32,900 with free running board is good deal.
I thought about that statement after I posted and realized it is not that it drives better than the TSX...I find myself missing the bucket seat in the TSX as it took me a while to get used to the RDX's seat and for some reason the leather felt a bit more softer with some give in the TSX compared to the RDX. Not to mention weaving thru traffic especially on the main road at my job which is an interstate full of semi's was easier/funner (no, I'm not a reckless driver). Maybe its because like you mentioned on your comparison post RDX initially is a floaty ride and as such I am hesitant to push it until I feel like I have "mastered" driving it.

A more accurate statement would have been I feel like I have better visibility with the RDX and I like riding high which makes it feel like it rides better. And the extra space is so nice that I don't miss my TSX as much as I thought I would.

I use my phone for local drives but the GPS I use for road trips has a much much bigger screen and if I can figure out the ideal place for it I think I will do fine. My cousin lost the stand to attach on the windshield so maybe I should see if I can find one where I can put the GPS on top of the dashboard.
Old 07-22-2014 | 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Glad you are enjoying the RDX. For your smart phone use, if you need a recommendation on a dashboard mount, I'd go with the Mountek nGroove Snap. Very clean and simply works.

http://www.mountek.com/shop/cell-pho...-mini-tablets/
The following users liked this post:
GurlRDX (07-23-2014)
Old 07-22-2014 | 12:02 PM
Racer

I thought about that statement after I posted and realized it is not that it drives better than the TSX...I find myself missing the bucket seat in the TSX as it took me a while to get used to the RDX's seat and for some reason the leather felt a bit more softer with some give in the TSX compared to the RDX. Not to mention weaving thru traffic especially on the main road at my job which is an interstate full of semi's was easier/funner (no, I'm not a reckless driver). Maybe its because like you mentioned on your comparison post RDX initially is a floaty ride and as such I am hesitant to push it until I feel like I have "mastered" driving it.

A more accurate statement would have been I feel like I have better visibility with the RDX and I like riding high which makes it feel like it rides better. And the extra space is so nice that I don't miss my TSX as much as I thought I would.

I use my phone for local drives but the GPS I use for road trips has a much much bigger screen and if I can figure out the ideal place for it I think I will do fine. My cousin lost the stand to attach on the windshield so maybe I should see if I can find one where I can put the GPS on top of the dashboard.
Yeah, I figured a passenger car should handle better especially with the TSX. My wife complains about more pronounced motion sickness. I am not sure if it's the way I drive that I have to adjust my driving habit with the car. Overall, I am happy with more power and like you said, better visibility due to the higher position.

Hope you enjoy the car!
Old 07-23-2014 | 09:23 AM
Advanced

Glad you are enjoying the RDX. For your smart phone use, if you need a recommendation on a dashboard mount, I'd go with the Mountek nGroove Snap. Very clean and simply works.

http://www.mountek.com/shop/cell-pho...-mini-tablets/
Excellent ! I ordered the expandable one that can hold my phone and the GPS from Amazon and I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. This is SO much better than mounting the GPS on the windshield, less tacky.

Yeah, I figured a passenger car should handle better especially with the TSX. My wife complains about more pronounced motion sickness. I am not sure if it's the way I drive that I have to adjust my driving habit with the car. Overall, I am happy with more power and like you said, better visibility due to the higher position.

Hope you enjoy the car!
So far I am enjoying it...I know the lack of the tech package will bug me now and then but since I am not a road warrior and had gotten around fine with the base TSX, it is not a deal breaker. My friend with a fully loaded Jaguar tells me he barely ever notices all the bells & whistles in his car until he drives somebody else. One thing I do know is the next ride I get will be a fully loaded one...then again by the time I get ready to buy another car 10+ yrs down the line the bases may have all the bells & whistles.

I haven't had a chance yet to be a passenger on the RDX other than a brief 10 minutes. The lack of height adjustment didn't bother me since what I care for as a passenger is to be able to lean back. Quiet frankly a lot of the things that bother me are because of all the posts I've read on here.....otherwise if I didn't know any better, I would be VERY content with the base RDX.
Old 07-23-2014 | 08:03 PM
Racer

Excellent ! I ordered the expandable one that can hold my phone and the GPS from Amazon and I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. This is SO much better than mounting the GPS on the windshield, less tacky.

So far I am enjoying it...I know the lack of the tech package will bug me now and then but since I am not a road warrior and had gotten around fine with the base TSX, it is not a deal breaker. My friend with a fully loaded Jaguar tells me he barely ever notices all the bells & whistles in his car until he drives somebody else. One thing I do know is the next ride I get will be a fully loaded one...then again by the time I get ready to buy another car 10+ yrs down the line the bases may have all the bells & whistles.

I haven't had a chance yet to be a passenger on the RDX other than a brief 10 minutes. The lack of height adjustment didn't bother me since what I care for as a passenger is to be able to lean back. Quiet frankly a lot of the things that bother me are because of all the posts I've read on here.....otherwise if I didn't know any better, I would be VERY content with the base RDX.
Did you add any accessories other than the running board? How is the fuel economy?
Old 07-28-2014 | 11:23 AM
Advanced

Did you add any accessories other than the running board? How is the fuel economy?
Nope, no other accessories. I thought that I was going to hate not having all the accessories that the loaner had and especially the roof rack but I think car looks solid as is. Even my cousin couldn't stop admiring it when I went by his place (see pic) and I told him its the same car I was driving before without the accessories. The silver on the running board ties together the silver window trims and the grille giving it a "finished" look. Only thing I plan on adding is front window tint, and maybe a cargo tray.

Fuel economy kinda sucks. First tank dealer filled me up with I averaged 20 mpg mostly city driving, with 22 mph speed. Just came from a road trip and I got upto 26 mpg at 70-80 miles speed. What was a pleasant surprise though is it cost less to fill up the RDX on mid grade fuel than it did the TSX on premium...but then I found out it is 2.5 gal less than the TSX....paying less on filling so far has helped lessen the sting of the fuel economy....even though I know mathwise I am paying less for less. I've barely broken 1000 miles so I am hoping for more improved economy once I fully break in the car.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Base vs 2013 Tech-rdx15.jpg