2014 Acura RDX AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Acura RDX AWD

How does the AWD system work in the 2014 acura rdx? We recently had a snowstorm and I wanted to test out the system. According to the dealer, it automatically turns on in bad conditions. During my drive, my awd system did not turn on once. This has happened before on a separate occasion. Is there a manual way to turn it on? Or were the conditions now bad enough for it to turn on?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
AWD with Intelligent Control
The RDX employs a sophisticated yet lightweight, compact and efficient all-wheel-drive system called AWD with Intelligent Control, which provides a high degree of four-wheel-drive sophistication on paved and dirt roads as well as in inclement conditions such as rain or snow. Operation of the AWD system is completely automatic and is virtually transparent to the driver.

The capabilities of the AWD system are prioritized to support high fuel efficiency and all-around good drivability. AWD with Intelligent Control can operate at all speeds when needed, but when torque transfer to the rear wheels is not required (such as when cruising), drive to the rear wheels is decoupled for reduced drag. However, when accelerating from a stop, AWD with Intelligent Control sends power to the rear wheels while constantly communicating with Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) and the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) to detect any traction issues.

The major components of the AWD system consist of a conventional front-wheel-drive system, a compact transfer case that distributes torque to a driveshaft running the length of the vehicle, a rear differential, a new electronically-controlled hydraulic pump, a multi-plate clutch, and left and right rear axles.

For AWD with Intelligent Control, a multi-plate clutch (similar to the clutches used in an automatic transmission) is used to engage the driveshaft connected to the rear differential. The new AWD system uses an electric motor to drive a single hydraulic pump, which operates the clutch. The electric motor is controlled by the Intelligent Control system, which means that the system can actively apportion power based on specific road conditions.

For example, when starting on snow the system sends power to the rear wheels right from the start, which minimizes the potential for front wheel spin. In cooperation with the new Hill Start Assist feature, AWD with Intelligent Control can also detect when the RDX is climbing a hill— and can send a greater amount of power to the rear wheels.

Torque splits of AWD with Intelligent Control
AWD with Intelligent Control distributes the driving force to front wheels and rear wheels automatically during acceleration and cornering, varying the torque split for optimum performance in response to driving conditions.

For 2016, the rear differential has been reengineered and the AWD system's control logic has been upgraded, allowing up to 40 percent of engine torque to be sent to the rear wheels, versus 25 percent on the 2015 model, resulting in more positive traction in slippery conditions.

During steady state cruising, 100-percent of the engine power is sent to the front wheels if sufficient traction is available.
The following 4 users liked this post by Carbon2008RDX:
Comfy (02-11-2017), kurtatx (02-10-2017), romer (02-11-2017), sathiyan (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts
Rdx awd

2008CarbonRDX--I wish I'd seen your description previously. What a clear and precise explanation of how the AWD system works. I haven't had any problems with my 2016 Advance AWD but so many others have complained (though many others complement it) about it, it made me wish I had the SH AWD I had in my 2008 RDX (I've had several different brand new cars in between). So thank you for this. Acura should employ you!
Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by romer
2008CarbonRDX--I wish I'd seen your description previously. What a clear and precise explanation of how the AWD system works. I haven't had any problems with my 2016 Advance AWD but so many others have complained (though many others complement it) about it, it made me wish I had the SH AWD I had in my 2008 RDX (I've had several different brand new cars in between). So thank you for this. Acura should employ you!
People are afraid of what's different. Now the Audi crowd is freaking out because the new quattro spends more time in FWD than any previous version. Thank goodness there are some really smart posters here to help us out. Full time AWD is fairly wasteful and car manufacturers have worked hard to make the AWD system predictive instead of reactionary. If you can create a truly predictive AWD system that rests on the front wheels most of the time, guys like us simply won't notice the difference.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by romer

While it would be nice to have SH-AWD on the current RDX, I'm not convinced it's really needed. I'm sure that 99% of the guys that wish it did are here posting on this forum. For the vast majority the current (and apparently improved) version of slip and grip seems totally adequate. In either system, if you are serious about snow, get snow tires.

The SH-AWD made more sense on the older RDX where it was paired with a sporty suspension and a punchy turbo. You can really toss it into corners where SH-AWD helps, in theory.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I think the more sensible option would be to offer a separate sport trim for RDX offering more powerful / turbo engine with SHAWD. This would get the best of both worlds and would keep RDX selling as intended as well as please the enthusiasts. But we know that it is not going to happen.....
Old 02-12-2017, 12:18 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I think the more sensible option would be to offer a separate sport trim for RDX offering more powerful / turbo engine with SHAWD. This would get the best of both worlds and would keep RDX selling as intended as well as please the enthusiasts. But we know that it is not going to happen.....

more sensible = we know that it is not going to happen
Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
more sensible = we know that it is not going to happen
At some point, the underpinnings become too expensive. The problem is, an RDX, regardless of what's under the hood, can only be so expensive.