2013 RDX wins KBB 5 Yr Cost to Own Award

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up 2013 RDX wins KBB 5 Yr Cost to Own Award

Car buyers tend to fixate on the price tag when shopping, but Kelley Blue Book's KBB.com points out that a vehicle's total purchase cost usually accounts for less than half of its total cost of ownership during a 5-year period. The automotive site recently found that the redesigned 2013 Acura RDX offers the best long-term investment in its segment when all costs are considered, presenting the compact crossover with a 2013 KBB.com 5-Year Cost to Own Award.

KBB.com determines its 5-Year Cost to Own Awards by evaluating each vehicle on a broad range of criteria, including Kelley Blue Book Fair Purchase Price, projected depreciation and costs for financing, insurance, fuel, repairs, scheduled maintenance and state fees. Besting the 2013 Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class and 2013 BMW X3 in the Luxury Compact SUV/Crossover category, the Acura RDX is projected to cost $49,620 during the 1st 5 years of ownership, with KBB.com editors citing its combination of style, performance and fuel efficiency as reasons for its lasting appeal.

"To maintain value in a luxury segment, a vehicle not only has to be able to keep day-to-day costs down, but it needs to have a look and feel that won't lose their luster after a few years," said Joel Avery, general manager of Acura of Peabody, a Massachusetts Acura dealership. "The new Acura RDX is designed to meet both those needs; it has sophisticated style lines and a sportier ride, but it also maintains the brand's signature quality and reliability."

On sale since last spring, the 2013 Acura RDX boasts a sport-tuned suspension and a 3.5-liter V6 that outputs 273 horsepower, an increase of 33 horsepower compared to the previous engine. Even with that added responsiveness, the crossover can return up to 28 mpg on the highway with front-wheel drive, while an available all-wheel-drive system gives those in the Snow Belt added confidence on wintry roads. Outside, a sleeker design simultaneously improves aesthetics and aerodynamics.

The redesigned Acura RDX was attracting buyers to dealerships long before getting the nod from KBB.com, with nine straight monthly sales records through January. Last month, the RDX moved 2,489 units in the United States, a 182% sales increase year-over-year. Those strong results helped Acura's overall sales jump by 13% year-over-year in January.

"Acura's latest designs and drivetrains appeal equally to the heads and hearts of drivers, and buyers are responding," added Avery. "With the launches of other new models on the way, including the RLX flagship sedan in March, we expect sales numbers to further improve as the year goes on."

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
Dorsey (02-14-2013), Rocket_man (02-17-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep in mind that the actual price of the vehicle is the largest component of a 5 year cost to own and if the RDX is the cheapest in the segment (edit - even if it's not a majority of the cost)... It's not as big of a win as you might infer from an Acura dealer's PR department.

Last edited by BlackDogRDX; 02-14-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: I don't read OP's very closely.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Keep in mind that the actual price of the vehicle is the largest component of a 5 year cost to own and if the RDX is the cheapest in the segment (edit - even if it's not a majority of the cost)... It's not as big of a win as you might infer from an Acura dealer's PR department.
Why is that? Isn't money, money? You seem to be making an inference that the award focuses on operating expenses, which it does, but only as a component of the entire picture. The way I would look at it is total wallet outflow over 5 years, which of couse has to include acquisition costs.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
AND...it's a big ole yawn anyway. KBB and the others who try to forecast ownership costs are no more or less accurate doing that as they are 'pinpointing' the value of a used vehicle.

Not to mention it doesn't mean a darned thing to anyone other than the salesman who now has another 'carrot' to dangle(not that the RDX needs another one). Five years from now, I doubt we'll get more for our vehicles because of this 'award'. It's nice that the mileage is pretty good, nice that 9-10 month old RDXs aren't falling apart on the roadside, nice that the residual 'value' is projected to be high compared to some other marques. Didn't need an 'award' to know all that.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
AND...it's a big ole yawn anyway. KBB and the others who try to forecast ownership costs are no more or less accurate doing that as they are 'pinpointing' the value of a used vehicle.

Not to mention it doesn't mean a darned thing to anyone other than the salesman who now has another 'carrot' to dangle(not that the RDX needs another one). Five years from now, I doubt we'll get more for our vehicles because of this 'award'. It's nice that the mileage is pretty good, nice that 9-10 month old RDXs aren't falling apart on the roadside, nice that the residual 'value' is projected to be high compared to some other marques. Didn't need an 'award' to know all that.
You are wise...very wise...good points, all
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Purchase cost may be a big up front cost, but KBB is assuming the car is sold at the end of the 5-year period so some percentage of that purchase is re-couped. That is why after 5 years the cost of the car may be half or less of the total cost of ownership. I'm sure local costs for insurance, mileage etc have a big impact too.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick

Totally agree, its simple speculation and BS.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fleuger99
Totally agree, its simple speculation and BS.
Keep in mind though that these estimated residual values are real money to people who lease. The companies like ALG that provide these residuals for the auto industry are very sophisticated and that's why their numbers are used to set residual values on leases. If it was all BS the auto companies wouldn't be using them.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ That is actually a good point I don't think "fleuger99" meant it in a mean spirit but more in that it is not an exact science as say... Weather Forecasting" *lol*
Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ That is actually a good point I don't think "fleuger99" meant it in a mean spirit but more in that it is not an exact science as say... Weather Forecasting" *lol*
Ha Ha Ha! I'd never say that for being disrespectful

That is what I meant, they may have complex algorithems but they are not always accurate. Look at the calcs for most of the domestic manufacturers and how accurate those were to the point they stopped offering leases for a few years due to heavy losses on leases.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
Keep in mind though that these estimated residual values are real money to people who lease. The companies like ALG that provide these residuals for the auto industry are very sophisticated and that's why their numbers are used to set residual values on leases. If it was all BS the auto companies wouldn't be using them.
Originally Posted by fleuger99
Ha Ha Ha! I'd never say that for being disrespectful

That is what I meant, they may have complex algorithems but they are not always accurate. Look at the calcs for most of the domestic manufacturers and how accurate those were to the point they stopped offering leases for a few years due to heavy losses on leases.
But then you hear 'industry talk' about inflated residuals in order to offer more attractive lease rates. THEN you hear about incentives and programs that severely undercut the actual sales price vs MSRP and who knows WHAT the heck the numbers mean? THEN you find out the difference from the #1 award winner and the #5-6-7-8 place is only a couple of percentage points. Kinda like being the gas mileage 'winner' @ 25 combined when the 10th place vehicle gets 24 mpg. Like I said before, Y-a-w-n. What's in it for me?
The following users liked this post:
Bbmura (02-25-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor

[quote=CoachRick; Like I said before, Y-a-w-n. What's in it for me?[/quote]

Nap time?