2013 RDX AWD recommended accessories

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 RDX AWD recommended accessories

Hi,
I just put down a deposit for new 2013 RDX AWD base (with free all season mats) for a price of 33,546 (36,500 out-the-door inclusive of NJ taxes and all fees). I am supposed to pick up my new car on Jul 3rd. I was wondering if someone has any recommendations for must-have-accessories on the car. Are the accessories covered under warranty if installed prior to delivery by the dealer? Also, can I buy my accessories elsewhere (like Bernardi's) and have my dealer install them (I don't know if they will do it).
We are very excited with our purchase.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
If the accessories were "part of the vehicle purchase" and were part of the purchase price, then they will be part of the new vehicle warranty.
But, most items, no big deal on the warranty if you bought them on line after the sale. At least for me.
I bought all mine from Bernardi's in one order....the UPS Ground shipment came in 4 days and I saved 25% off the accessories.
1. Body Side Mldgs
2. Mud guards
3. Clear door edge guards
4. Cargo cover
5. Tough up paint
The dearler's service dept. would install them no matter where you purchased them. The service dept. is there to make money....and they will, for the labor they will charge. They would not turn away business.

I had my BSM, and door edge gurards put on by my Honda Certified Accessories installer. He's done tons of them. The Acura is no different. Also, I printed out the Install Inst. from Bernardi's. Sometimes there is maybe one little item that helps the tech. with the install.
I installed the mud guards myself. Way too easy. I did them on my last 3 CRV's.
Cargo cover....easy. Takes less than 2 minutes.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
How do the door edge guards look? Haven't seen them on an actual vehicle, wondering if you can provide a picture?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
How do the door edge guards look? Haven't seen them on an actual vehicle, wondering if you can provide a picture?
I don't have a picture yet, but they really aren't noticeable except up close. I bought the material from eBay and put them on myself. Cost less than $20 that way. Really easy to put on and if you don't like it, you can take it off again. If I get a chance later, I'll take a picture for you.

Last edited by mikejmack; 07-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
mikejmack....I know you bought the accessory wheels. Are you planning on using the original rims for your winter wheels? I am debating getting some as well although seeing the 19" from the MDX (accessory rims) also temps me alot! Given the fact that I now have 4 steel rims with the TPMS, I'd hate to spend another 2300$ on rims plus the 19" tires that would go with them when I have a winter set all ready to go! Damn car addiction! *lol*
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
mikejmack....I know you bought the accessory wheels. Are you planning on using the original rims for your winter wheels? I am debating getting some as well although seeing the 19" from the MDX (accessory rims) also temps me alot! Given the fact that I now have 4 steel rims with the TPMS, I'd hate to spend another 2300$ on rims plus the 19" tires that would go with them when I have a winter set all ready to go! Damn car addiction! *lol*
Yes, I plan to use the original rims for my winters. I had the steel wheels for my last vehicle and ithe lack of character played a bit part in my decision to get the accessory wheels

BTW, I saw the 19" wheels on kijiji for 1200 if you are looking to buy them.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Sculldog 3 ... Here is a picture of the door edge guards. Unless you are as close as the picture appears, you really cannot see them.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 RDX AWD recommended accessories-p7010873-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

mikejmack...I'll go check kijiji out. I assume its the HFX kijiji. I am usually not a fan of buying used rims but worth looking into just for the heck of it
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
mikejmack...I'll go check kijiji out. I assume its the HFX kijiji. I am usually not a fan of buying used rims but worth looking into just for the heck of it
Yes, it was hfx. I think they were new.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are Canadians buying accessories? Bernardi is cheap but they use ups= Huge brokerage fees. Looking for cargo cover and cargo tray. Will buy weather tech mats and likely get side moldings from dealer.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by QN52
Where are Canadians buying accessories? Bernardi is cheap but they use ups= Huge brokerage fees. Looking for cargo cover and cargo tray. Will buy weather tech mats and likely get side moldings from dealer.
I bought mine from eBay from the US. It is Curry Acura. The price on eBay is all inclusive - no tax, duty or brokerage fees. I bought the cover and tray from them and there were no extra fees. They guaranteed it. They couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't be charged, but they said if I did, that they would reimburse me. I was not charged anything extra, so I didn't have to test their guarantee.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I contacted a dealer in my area to see if they would install parts if I purchased them from another dealer and they told me no. I would have to have purchased them at their dealership. that sucks!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by happy_chrissy
I contacted a dealer in my area to see if they would install parts if I purchased them from another dealer and they told me no. I would have to have purchased them at their dealership. that sucks!
I am not surprised to be honest. Even if they would do it, I would never buy accessories from one dealer and have the other install it. That is like showing up at a restaurant with your steak and asking them to cook it for you *lol* Speaking of steak.....
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Well, for me, that was pretty lousy on that dealer's part. Service is there to make money and do business.

I have never had that problem, and I've done it more than once. When I scheduled work to be done on my 5 previous Hondas....I was asked..."do you have the parts or accessories?".....it just was not an issue. Again, they operate seperately...as their own business within the dealership. They need to turn wrenches and make money. Period. So, I find that dealer a rare situation...in my experience.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I should add that if the accessories are non OEM, that I would have no problem asking my dealer to install accessories. Again, there is no rule that says it can or cannot be done, or whether it should or shouldn't be done. I am just speaking from my own view and my principle. Maybe I bring my personal experience as my dad owned a car dealership prior to retiring....
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chaukka
Hi,
I just put down a deposit for new 2013 RDX AWD base (with free all season mats) for a price of 33,546 (36,500 out-the-door inclusive of NJ taxes and all fees). I am supposed to pick up my new car on Jul 3rd. I was wondering if someone has any recommendations for must-have-accessories on the car. Are the accessories covered under warranty if installed prior to delivery by the dealer? Also, can I buy my accessories elsewhere (like Bernardi's) and have my dealer install them (I don't know if they will do it).
We are very excited with our purchase.
CHAUKKA, where in NJ did you get your RDX? That is $1000 less than the 3 dealerships I've visited!!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the dealer add:
2nd row cover - I have two small kids and they like to spill stuff
All weather mats - It's dusty in out here in Vegas
Cargo liner - I like to buy water softener salt bags from lowes and they aren't always sealed correctly.
And tint...Selling price was 39700 for Blk on Blk AWD tech
Old 09-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Chaukka...you did not indicate where you live, so a firm recommendation is difficult. Here in Northern Ohio, we get lots of snow. To prepare my AWD Tech, I purchased:

-All weather mats to keep road salt off of the carpet
-Mud guards to keep the side from being scratched by salt pellets
-Clear front bra (installed aftermarket) to protect the hood, mirrors, bumper and fenders from flying road salt and debris
-Cargo tray (I have the taupe interior and the carpet back there is too light-colored and shows dirt)

I also purchased a cargo cover for privacy/security and a trailer hitch to haul a small boat. I had the dealer install the more time consuming items as I don't have time to do it myself. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anybody know if you can get the ILX illuminated kick plates put on the RDX, or is it only made to be ILX specific? I think that would be a nice extra feature to have no the RDX.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, I forgot to ask about 2 other things:

(1) Does anyone know why Acura got rid of the color keyed door edge guards and switched to the door edge film? Is that stupid layer of film really going to do anything to protect the door from chip/scratches like the guards used to?

(2) Does anyone know if you can get a carpet mat for the rear trunk Area that says RDX on it? I'm not referring to the rubber cargo liner. This is something Acura has had in the past but I didn't see it listed no.w
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Racer

For anyone on the fence on the cargo tray and or the interior mats, I'd say pull the trigger. Took mine out today to wash, having hauled a bunch of plants in the back that led to lots of dirt/mulch/misc, and having residual sand in the front mats from some beach trips a few weeks back. Cleaned up very nice, total protection. Applied a very light coating of Griot's long lasting tire dressing, and they look better than new. Not sure what the WeatherTech folks will eventually bring to the table, but the Acura one's work great.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I agree with the cargo tray....I love it!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Racer

Revised recommendation: Griot's long lasting dressing on the cargo tray in back is a good idea -- nice and dark, light shine, guessing future crud will come off that much easier.

On the front mats, highly recommend not using this under any circumstances....made them slippery beyond belief, to the point the getting into the car became a bit of an adventure! Had to pull them and will need to wash these with something like Dawn over the weekend to try and remove this!

Can't wait to use this on my tires, had been experimenting with some stuff and was going to use up the rest, but will try and prep the tires (remove the other product) and apply this, seems like it would be super durable and super slippery to boot!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Revised recommendation: Griot's long lasting dressing on the cargo tray in back is a good idea -- nice and dark, light shine, guessing future crud will come off that much easier.

On the front mats, highly recommend not using this under any circumstances....made them slippery beyond belief, to the point the getting into the car became a bit of an adventure! Had to pull them and will need to wash these with something like Dawn over the weekend to try and remove this!

Can't wait to use this on my tires, had been experimenting with some stuff and was going to use up the rest, but will try and prep the tires (remove the other product) and apply this, seems like it would be super durable and super slippery to boot!
One of the benefits I like about the rear cargo tray is that when you put a box or something in the back the friction of the rubber/plastic helps to keep things from sliding around. Don't think I would want to put a dressing on the cargo tray that I would not put on the floor mats.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by smarty666
Also, I forgot to ask about 2 other things:

(1) Does anyone know why Acura got rid of the color keyed door edge guards and switched to the door edge film? Is that stupid layer of film really going to do anything to protect the door from chip/scratches like the guards used to?

w
The metal color keyed edge guards were/are too hard on the paint/metal.
I've been using the 3M clear door edge guards for a long time on my previous CRV's, now on my '12 Accord Cpe, and my '13 RDX. They have a "cushioning" affect to them. If put on properly and the tech doesn't leave a finger print on the sticky side, they will adhere just fine and are better for the paint and metal.