16' RDX - 4500Km - How I feel about my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 16' RDX - 4500Km - How I feel about my purchase

So it's been a while since i've been on here. Busy with work and school. However, I wanted to do an over all kind of update and general thoughts on how I'm feeling about my 2016 Acura RDX - Tech (Canadian Version).

Over all, I am happy. I have had, and still am, dealing with some issues that I find frustrating. In a sense, I acknowledged that purchasing the 2016 and the changes it came with, could offer some problems. When I took it off the lot and went to the body shop my boyfriend works at, all the guys were checking it out, and to my demise the fender was very out of alignment on the passenger side. This was dealt with in a timely manner by the dealership. My biggest issue is my brakes squealing, I was actually excited to see a topic about it and see I am not in fact alone. Since day 1, I have had squealing brakes. It was dropped off for one day, probably only 600kms in or so, that was as soon as I could find time. They advised they could not replicate, but took all the brakes apart and cleaned them. I drove away that day, with brakes still squealing. I had another appt, that as it came up, I kind of hadn't really noticed the brakes squealing, I thought maybe it had stopped, so they sent me home and said they likely wouldn't find anything. A day or so later, I realized they were in fact still squealing on their random occasions, and I had just been tuning them out, or more likely had my music on too loud. I go back on Monday and I am hoping to have this resolved. My other issue is, I could swear at high speeds (120km +) that there is a vibration, was also advised they could not replicate. Unfortunately, every time I call or go in there, I feel judged and like a crazy person.. when i'm not.. I spent a butt load of money on this vehicle, and I expect it to run as best as it should be. I had a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra prior, and never once experienced anything, or ever had to take it back to the dealership other than for regular maintenance. As well, on 2 occasions my audio system froze.

SO, those were my issues. Otherwise, I over all love the vehicle. It drives nice, it has good acceleration, it handles nicely, I love the features, and it is living up to what I wanted for size and etc... I am filling premium, and I have gone around 4500km, primarily highway driving as I work far. I am getting right now on avg 9.1L per 100KM, the lowest I ever got was 8.5L per 100KM. I was pretty happy to see those numbers. Not sure how that converts to US, sorry.

Anyways, ultimately I am happy with my purchase and do not regret the choice I made. I can just hope my issues are resolved soon and with out hassle. It felt good to vent this out in here, so if you've read through this.. thanks for your time, haha. If anyone has comments, questions, etc.. feel free to chime in!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Whatever break pads Acura uses are crap. Mine had a squealing problem since I bought the car in 2012. The dealer replaced pads and resurfaced the rotors twice and the problem still persisted. In 2015 I need new brakes so I bought new ceramic pads (not from Acura) and the problem is gone.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
The only complaint I had about the brakes was the modulation. I found them to be too aggressive on initial engagement. In the brief time I owned the car they did not make any noise.
Hopefully Acura will resolve the issue and you can feel 100% good about the vehicle.
I know what it's like to spend money on a new vehicle and not be completely satisfied because of an issue that you find annoying that others may not be bothered by. We all perceive things differently.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Sorry to hear about your new car problems. It's possible that the vibration you feel at high speeds is the cylinder deactivation vibration. May be those who experienced this problem should chime in.
I vaguely recollect a retired brake engineer posting on forum about squealing brakes. He says that the best and least expensive solution is to ignore and live with it if you can. Otherwise pour as much money into it as you feel comfortable as there is no single solution to a multitude of problems presenting as squealing brakes. Just my two cents.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Hopefully you can get the issue resolved - in my experience brake problems are usually only solved with one or two things, new brakes, and/or new rotors. Keep pushing the issue and hopefully the dealer will take care of you. On a brand new vehicle you shouldn't have those issues. Its most of our luck that when we get to the shop and take a ride with the tech the car doesn't behave badly. I've gotten in the habit of making videos on my cell phone ahead of time getting to the dealer so they can see/hear exactly what's going on in case the car won't do it for them. Seeing is believing right

We have a '16 RDX AWD Advance with only 2400 miles on it and so far my top complaint is how long it takes for all the technology to boot up - I can wait for the nav screen to populate, put it in reverse, and the backup camera won't enable until I'm throwing her in D. Sometimes all the preset radio stations are random letters and numbers, and the LKAS is very moody. Honestly I think I would be just as happy with the tech trim level. We went advanced because it seemed like a great deal of bang for the buck, but honestly we turned off most of the Acura Watch features and the ventilated seats aren't nearly as useful as they're cracked up to be. Not like the Advance rims are that much better than the Tech trim lol. When the lease is up if we stick to the RDX I think we'll downgrade. I haven't mentioned any of this to the dealer because honestly I don't want to make the drive unless I have to, but I would imagine there should be software updates eventually to alleviate my issues
Old 09-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have had numerous fit and finish issues with my 2015 Tech which Acura has corrected them all, no questions asked. I'm sitting at close to 50,000 KM the most I've ever put on a vehicle I just over a year but the RDX is so good on gas my it makes more sense to drive it because I love it so much!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. You'd be surprised at how many new cars have these kinds of 'problems'. I was super paranoid when I got my RDX, looking for every strange sound and sensation - after a while I realized that I needed to ignore it all and enjoy my purchase