Tranny Vibration @ 1-2 Shifting .....Problem could be solved...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 04:47 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Vibration @ 1-2 Shifting .....Problem could be solved...

A month or so, I noticed that a vibration and hesitation in shifting from 1-2 at low rpms (less than 3000rpm). I mentioned this problem to the Service departement when I dropped my CLS this Wednesday, and today I got a call that a new part has been ordered and would be replaced in the tranny... I do not know more about what was exactly the problem, but I guess it could be corrected.

For anyone who had similar problem with the tranny, it looks it's a real problem and my be corrected.

Keep you posted when I get my CLS back.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S, NAV.
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor
- Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 06-08-2001, 04:52 PM
Oh...Behave!

Please keep us posted!

------------------
Red
Type S
So. Cal.
Dark Tint
18" Niche Bella 2-piece
Forged Aluminum Wheels
235/40/18 Sumo HTRZ II's
Jet Performance PCM Mod
Ram-Air CAI w/ K&N Filter
Removed Pre-muffler
Liquid Glass Finish
G-tech 0-60 in 6.1 secs
...Looks & feels faster!
Old 06-08-2001, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
A month or so, I noticed that a vibration and hesitation in shifting from 1-2 at low rpms (less than 3000rpm). I mentioned this problem to the Service departement when I dropped my CLS this Wednesday, and today I got a call that a new part has been ordered and would be replaced in the tranny... I do not know more about what was exactly the problem, but I guess it could be corrected.

For anyone who had similar problem with the tranny, it looks it's a real problem and my be corrected.

Keep you posted when I get my CLS back.

</font>
Is this when you're driving in 2 and the car seems like it's jurking a bit?

------------------
01 white/ebony CL-S
Pewter Xephyr CAI
PIAA's 19224
Old 06-08-2001, 05:08 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The jurking/vibration I had is when shifting from 1-2 in D5 or or SS mode. Crusing on the HW and shifting from 2-3 is as smooth as silk. This is how it should be for the 1-2 shifts too.

Things that needs to be done/corrected in this service:

1) 15,000 miles service, cost $159.99.
2) Auto down feature does open the window partially in hot days and while the engine is running.
3) moonroof rattles when the sunshade is open
4) Rattles from the passenger door and from the under the glovebox pannels.
5) Tranny hesitation/vibration @ 1-2 shifts

Mount my 18" wheels back when the service is done.

------------------
- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Koing Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
Old 06-13-2001, 08:55 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

The jurking/vibration I had when shifting from 1-2 in D5 or or SS mode is gone! It took the dealer a whole week to get everything mentioned above corrected. The CLS has now 0 rattle and drives like new again.

What they changed to solve the tranny jurking is a linear solenoid.

Total cost was only $159.99 for the scheduled 15,000 miles service.

One of my stock tires developed a 1" bulge. Therefore, tommorrow morning I will be at town fair tire tire mounting back my 18" rims! I Can't wait.

------------------
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
Old 07-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Unemployed BUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linear Solenoid

I finally got somewhat of a transmission problem. The engine light came on, and the Los Gatos Acura dealer says that the linear solenoid, a part of the transmission, is defective.

What is a linear solenoid?

The replacement part is out of stock, so I'll be out of a car for a couple of days.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't it good to have a good dealership!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 02:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Linear Solenoid

Originally posted by friendlydacat
I finally got somewhat of a transmission problem. The engine light came on, and the Los Gatos Acura dealer says that the linear solenoid, a part of the transmission, is defective.

What is a linear solenoid?

The replacement part is out of stock, so I'll be out of a car for a couple of days.

What is a linear solenoid? Answer: There are a set of solenoids that control the gear change and selection for our transmission. The gear selected and transistion is controlled by the pattern of ON (energized) and OFF (de-energized) states of the solenoids. There is also a need to control how fast they turn on and off – that’s where the “linear” part comes in. They can move (control position) based on current and/or voltage – this allows the car’s PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to determine how fast and how harsh the transition from ON to OFF and/or OFF to ON is based on its “output”.

Some solenoids just "slam-shut" (they have a bang-bang type of operation) -- the velocity of closure is "uncontrolled". The solenoids in our car can move at varying rates (depending on the CLS computer's control signal). This allows the "harshness" and speed of the "transition" to be controlled.

So, instead of having the operation of the solenoid look like a SQUARE WAVE (OFF-->ON-->OFF) with uncontrolled or super speedy transitions [no control of rise time and fall time]), the transitions can be controlled and the RAMP between OFF and ON and OFF can be controlled.

A definition from one of many web pages:

Linear Solenoid Fundamentals
Solenoids are electromechanical devices, which convert electrical energy into mechanical motion. Generally, this motion is used to move a load a specified distance. Magnetec solenoids produce linear motion.
All linear solenoids are basically pull-type, that is they pull the plunger into the coil when energized. However, most linear solenoids can be equipped with a push rod mounted to the inner end of the plunger, which extends through a hole in the back stop. Thus, when energized, the plunger is pulled into the coil, and the rod extends producing a pushing motion.
Return motion, upon de-energizing the coil, is provided by the load itself (i.e., the weight of the load) and / or by a return spring which can be provided as an integral part of the solenoid assembly….”

I've enclosed a picture with:

1. Waveform at the TOP of image being ON and OFF with NO transitions/ramps (bang-bang operation)

2. Waveform at the bottom being that of a "typical" linear solenoid -- it has ramps going between OFF(low) and ON(high) states and ON and OFF states. (I could draw a gillion examples, but....) The point is that the "computer" can control the "ramp" of the solenoid to make it engage quickly or slowly and can "tailor" HOW the ramp looks! (The actual ramps could take on many different curved shapes and the shape from off to on and on to off do NOT have to be the same!!!)

Diagram enclosed:
Old 07-19-2002, 03:01 AM
Suzuka Master

MODS -- PLEASE MOVE TO TRANNY FORUM PLEASE

MODS -> PLEASE MOVE TO TRANNY FORUM!
Old 07-19-2002, 10:53 AM
Pro

hmmm... maybe it is the solenoids ??

OR that's just part of the equation