Tranny took a sh!t?

Old 11-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny took a sh!t?

Think my tranny finally died.

My wife was driving, and she said it stalled 6 times (more like reacting like it was in neutral than stalling) and then finally there was some smoke coming from the engine and the car never went into gear afterward.

I think the trans is gone, but I dont have a code reader. I had it towed to my spot, but since I just moved here I know no one with their own code reader.

Is it safe to say that my trans is dead? If so, I read about the '04 odyssey swap, but would an '03 TL-p trans be an even swap without the mods?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I think my trans is about to take a shit too.
I was on the highway and the car usally drives 1750rpms and lower.
Tonight it was intermmediately rising to 2200 or so and I had tcs and cel.
So when I got off the highway I pulled my fuse to clear the lights .
The lights returned after 5 minutes.So I drove back towards home on the highway with the same results.
When I got back to town driving light to light I had to baby the car from lights or it would slip real easy.
I got back home cleared lights again,checked fuild but it was hard to see in the dark or my fuild is clear.
I again went for a 10 minute ride no lights returned on that trip and It had more of a solid shifting feel but still feels like it's all done.
I will be taking one more ride in a few to try to make a light come on so I can at least get a code to see what it is saying.
guy near me seam to think its the converter.
It's the wrong time for me and I'm prepared in my mind for a whole replacement but,again wrong time. DAAAAAAAAAM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Intermediate

From what you and NVA told me, your problem could just be solinoids. I had codes P0740 and P0730. 1st one is Torque converter clutch circuit malfunction, and the 2nd is gear ratio incorrect. The second one is the kiss of death.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 AM

I finally got the cel to come back and it shows p0740 and I'm going to buy the lock up set,a few quarts,and the external filter.
In hope's I don't have to seperate the tranny from the engine "yet".
Don't want to put my engine build on hold to long by spending all kinds of dough on a new trans so I'm hoping that this will stop the slipping.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Parts ordered.
Hopefully I'm not just throwing away 3 beans.
Does anyone know if the solinoids do not do the fix.Can they be used on a odyssey transmission ?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Maybe my trans will be hanging in there a little longer.
I spent a couple hours installing the lock up set,external filter,drain and refill.
I only went for 5-10 minute ride.
The car shifts better,and does not feel like it's slipping like it was and I am not getting the cel or tcs lights anymore above 55mph (YET) either.
I will be going for a long drive tomorrow and see if the sliping at highway speed is gone.
I wish I changed this stuff out at first signs of the trans issues.
I can tell their is damage done, the car felt like tcs was on when I tried to spin the tires when normally it would just burn them.
I think I'm going to clean the other trans solenoids and buy the 3-4 tubes and gasket under the top mounted set.And do another drain and fill.
My trans fuild looked like oil when I drained it.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Well I guess the trans stuff is a no go.Driving around town it drove perfect.
I drove for about 30 minutes at about 55 perfectly then it started to slip. So I turned around and bearly made it home with it slipping bad. Worse than it ever did.
I had the car off for 2 hours and just started it and drove down the street and back with no issues.

Diagnose my problem.
Fixable ?
lights came back on too,I just havent read them yet to see if it's the same code that I was getting before.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM

I spent about 4-5 hours today cleaning every single sensor all tubes,everything that is able to be removed from the out side of the transmission.
Seam to shift ok now but,now I have d5 blinking and no other lights even after going for about a 30 minute drive.
No cel or tcs.
I am going to drain and fill one more time tomorrow and see if it helps anymore.
If not their is nothing else that can be done besides getting another trans I guess.
Don't think I'm going to let my car fall apart.
I'm about ready to jump back in on the car.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Got code for my d5 light just now.
atf temp sensor.
Figures, the only thing I did not try to clean or mess with.
O well I just dumped another 65 on this sensor.
Lets see if it makes anymore of a difference when it's installed.
I'm starting to feel like a dam transmission mechanic.

Got my new upper balljoints in and lifted the car up some more.
My last set lasted maybe 2k miles.They were totally misshaped around the socket of the balljoints and you can pull the stud back and forth a 1/8" where it looks like driving with them any longer the shaft would've came out of the socket.
I don't know if it was from hitting the shock tower or from being low.Either way it's a little more up.No hitting or rubbing now.
Getting tired of driving a nice looking rattle box from being low.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
4th Gear

I have 40k miles on the new tranny and Acura said it was fine but I've heard the new one has problems as well. Anyone have problems with the new tranny? Some said new tranny makes car slower?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Just got done doing another drain and fill.Fuild was still dark.
Installed the trans temp sensor.Had to remove trans mount but,all lights are off the dash.
Driving around town the trans is shifting better than it did when I bought the car.
Also before if I would stomp it at 30 or so before the trans would slip till it would hit the rev limiter.
Well now I hear the exhaust make like a double snap sound and it's pulling hard again.
The car is spinning tires better too.It just don't start spinning for maybe 3-4 feet.
Also I noticed a knock noise when the car grabbed 2nd that sounded like before I notched my hood to clear the mdx spacers height and the manifold was hitting the hood.
I'm thinking some of the trans or motor mounts might be all done and that's why my car is not spinning right off.
Last test will be tomorrow when I take it on the highway for a 65mph cruise.
If there is no slipping then I will be convinced the trans issue will be licked.
One more drain and fill and that all it's going to get.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM

Yea man, Transmission is totally fine.
Been driving around for 2-3 hrs today. 70 mph cruise no slipping at all.Even at 70mph stomping it theres no slip I'm totally amazed.The other day it was slipping so bad it would not even drive and now if better than when I bought the car.
I was driving around all day today say to the wife this is where it would slip and this is where it would slip.
She kept telling me ok you don't have to tell me everytime it would slip.But I am so happy I can't shut up about it.
A few hundred dollars in sensors compared to thousands I would've had to spent,I have been smiling like this all day. Time to do some ebay window shopping to see whats going on next.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you list out exactly which sensors you replaced or cleaned?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM

New parts were:
lock up solenoid set.
ATF temp sensor
external trans filter
and a trans ground strap

I cleaned all other solenoids and pressure switches.
under the top solenoid pack I also made sure all tubes and screens that go into the trans were free.
I did 2 drain and fills 4 days apart.
This week end I plan on doing another 2 back to back without really heating up the trans fluid.

I completely went over everything I could from the out side of the trans and it saved alot of headaches ,money and time wise.
I still can't believe how my car would not even move and now it seams to pull harder and shift much smoother.
Before when my car had the trans issues it would grab 2nd and it would make a louder ,deeper chirp.Now it's more of a quick sounding chirp.
The only thing thats not the same or improved is right off the line. I have yet to get the car to do much off the line but a couple of chirps and before I could just sizzle the tires.
The only thing I changed was I installed a stock type s Throttle body to see if there was any differnce between tps sensors.
Now that I'm saying this maybe I should try putting back my modified one and see if that's where my throttle response went for my off the line power.
Either that or there is converter damage.
Trust me I'm not complaining if there is conveter damage,I had to drive the car twice till it slipped so bad it would not move and I could smell the trans.
The car drives awesome,problem is fixxed in my eyes and I drive it everydayh.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

That's awesome! I'm glad it worked out.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Airman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I noticed you were still having problems after you replaced your lock up solenoids. Then you said that you replaced the temp sensor and it seems this fixed your issue?

My question is do you think it was the temp sensor all along and how easy was the replacement?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just wondering if your fix is still holding ...
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by slowcl-s
I noticed you were still having problems after you replaced your lock up solenoids. Then you said that you replaced the temp sensor and it seems this fixed your issue?

My question is do you think it was the temp sensor all along and how easy was the replacement?
The temp sensor was not even needed. when I went to install the plug was not clipped in all the way.

Originally Posted by pb06
just wondering if your fix is still holding ...
everything I did before the temp sensor is what fixxed the problem.Temp sensor code came up after I removed everything so it was just not snugged up and gave me the code.
Looking at the plug it looked clipped but it was not.

And yes the tranny is still kicking around.No slipping
I guess I'm one of the auto owners that has been very lucky not to need a replacement.

Last edited by richardparker; 09-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.