So I brought my car in for transmission replacement yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I brought my car in for transmission replacement yesterday

DISCLAIMER: You probably won't learn anything new or special from my story, but here goes:

My service advisor was at lunch at the time so I gave her a call today to talk with her about the transmission issue.

She says they've been replacing the ECU as well since around August because they realized they needed to change that as well as the internals.

She admitted that pre-August if people asked she would tell them they have a 50/50 chance they'd be coming back in with another dead transmission.

I asked her about trans cooler and she said she doesn't think it would matter with what the problem is with the transmission, but I asked again later and she said she wasn't sure so she would ask my tech.

Also, my tech is at Acura school this week so he isn't the one working on my car (but she says the person she put on the car is the same one he would have working on it).

My tech would have put the cooler on for me but I didn't mention that to the service writer since he would have done it for free. When he gets back next week I will see what he thinks about putting it on. And the writer said she would ask him what he thinks about putting a trans cooler on these transmissions in general.

What a weird problem. Oh well at least the '03 TL loaner is nice.

'03 TL finds:

*different seating position leaves less headroom
*seats are less sporty design. flatter.
*turning radius is SO much better than the CL
Old 02-21-2003, 10:49 AM
Racer

JRock... mine went into the shop for transmission failure last week also They told me about the ECU swap and also mentioned something fuel related is replaced on certain VIN #'s (regulartor or injector?) not sure what that was about. Ill post back with what they did.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
see, I swear my car feels slower and it feels like the transmission shifts are being toned down as well as the power right before the shift. And my service guy mentioned the ECU replacement and told me that he can guarentee that the tranny won't go again. I'm pissed, but to those who haven't had a tranny go yet, enjoy it while it lasts. the new ECU sucks eggs through a straw.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
CHECK your 0-60 times if you get a newer ECU......I would be curious of the results of before and after......
Old 02-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by rondog
see, I swear my car feels slower and it feels like the transmission shifts are being toned down as well as the power right before the shift. And my service guy mentioned the ECU replacement and told me that he can guarentee that the tranny won't go again. I'm pissed, but to those who haven't had a tranny go yet, enjoy it while it lasts. the new ECU sucks eggs through a straw.
man that sucks

go demand for a new car!!!

that aint right...

sidemarker
Old 02-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by Fabvsix
CHECK your 0-60 times if you get a newer ECU......I would be curious of the results of before and after......
I'm gonna eventually go to englishtown and do a few runs so I can see what the hell is going on here. I do have exhaust and headers so the car is just a bit quicker than stock, but not as quick as it should be if I had the original tranny and ecu.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Old timer

Well they just called to say it's been installed and is being roadtested, so I might be picking it up before the end of the day and I'll let you know how it feels.

Honestly I wouldn't care if I lost a little power as the expense for a transmission that will last the rest of the life of my car. I've sort of changed my mindset after dealing with this issue and am firmly satisfied with this car as just my daily driver.

I plan to eventually get a weekend fun car, as the CL certainly won't be it anymore. I want to baby it. Of course it'll be a while before I have the funds for a weekend fun car.

They said a trans cooler wouldn't hurt and they have no problem putting one on for me at a later time, but no reason to put it on now since it wouldn't be any easer if the trans is in or out when they do it.