Settlement issues- Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Settlement issues- Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

I know it has been a long time in publishing any results but this is the info that I have as of date:

I've spent the last 2 1/2 months meeting with arbitration between Acura regional management and the Lawyer. The best Acura wants to offer is money (reimbursement for the time that my vehicle was out of service i.e. car payment/days out of service =$), give me an extended warranty or put me in another one of their type 'S' products. THEN they even offered an RSX as if that would make up for the loss (time or money) I've incurred. I then pointed out that going to the RSX (because it doesn't have their FLAWED transmission) would be stepping down in their product line and it was completely unacceptable. Besides if I switch to another one of their cars I will have to pick up some of the costs for the new car WTF

I didn't sign up to BETA test their R&D process for their FLAWED transmissions in the type S series. Nor are they willing to even discuss compensation for time lost from work or the headaches that I've had to deal with because of their faulty product....
BY THE WAY my 2002 transmission (#3) is already having problems and slipping)

SO...

The first step PRIOR to going to court is the BBB (Better Business Bureau) arbitration board. This must be done so that WHEN this goes to court we (the attorney and I) can show that ACURA was in fact given a reasonable opportunity to resolve this outside of court BUT they did not CARE enough about the CONSUMER to do the RIGHT AND FAIR thing.... I will receive the judgment from the 3 Attorneys on the arbitration board THIS WEEK.....

The BBB arbitration board has the right to GRANT "equitable compensation" to the consumer based upon the facts presented in the hearing and I gave them statistics and MANY posts from this board to show that ACURA HAS a problem and it is NOT an isolated incident. ALSO they are NOT being upfront and honest with the general public with their FLAWED transmissions.

As soon as I receive the letter form the BBB this week I will scan it in and post it to this forum for ALL to see, good bad or indifferent I will continue to fight this.

ALSO READ THE FOLLOWING AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE----->
If you post your info it may not only help YOU fight Acura for compensation but it will help the rest of us as well!

If you want to do something about the tranny problem, then you must take the right steps. The first step is to make the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) aware of the problem. On their site, you can search for a vehicle's recalls, technical service bulletins and most importantly, let them know about safety problems with our vehicles.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems

Go to link and select "Vehicle Owners' Questionnaire", then complete the defect notice.

If we want to get Acura's attention, then let’s get NHTSA 40 to 50 complaints at one time about Acura transmissions failing. Also, this will help with all lawsuits.

REMEMBER........
One voice is hard to hear but hundreds of voices will get their fucking attention......you CAN fight the system no matter how large they are....

For those of you who are new to this transmission problem read the following posts...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=56072

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=55635
Old 02-25-2002, 10:09 PM
www.drippinwet.com

sounds like the extended warranty is compesation for your headaches and time from work

it never is convienent to have your car broken down, but although not to your liking, it sounds like they are making attempts to satisfy you
Old 02-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work outta you! If this thing were to go through and it made Acura say something and give some information to the public which continues to buy its products an defend the product, then i think you should be put the a-cl.com Hall of Fame! More power to you my brother, good luck!
Old 02-25-2002, 11:55 PM
Type SSS

I posted this on Acura-TL.com also.

TL's had lots of tranny problems also including mine which happen about 2 month ago.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Sticky for a while -- OK...

I'm going to make this sticky for a bit...
Old 02-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Racer

Wow dude! Very impressive work! Someone is actually doing something to hopefully get Acura to eventually manufacture a
strong reliable trans for the CL-S! My hats off to you!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Old timer

Best of luck and I hope you get them to be held responsible for releasing a car with a faulty crucial part that can go bad at any time. It's a shame they have gotten away with this crap this long.

No one deserves to buy a car and have to worry about the tranny shitting itself due to a design flaw that the manufacturer/seller refuses to FIX.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:31 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by JRock
Best of luck and I hope you get them to be held responsible for releasing a car with a faulty crucial part that can go bad at any time. It's a shame they have gotten away with this crap this long.

No one deserves to buy a car and have to worry about the tranny shitting itself due to a design flaw that the manufacturer/seller refuses to FIX.
JROC, i don't want any trans problems just as no one in here does, but anything can happen to any part on a car, it is a very low percentage, but i understand everyones frustrations and i hope it works out for everyone that is affected
Old 02-26-2002, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Acura service needs to lok at the figures AGAIN

If you are even attempting to represent the "company" I think you're just as brainwashed as the rest of the regional managers......

If you build a faulty product (& do NOT stand behind your product) you deserve to be sued and or put out of business...

ALSO, if you represent yourself to have an "exceptional" product and you provide the "BEST" customer service then you had damn well better deliver on what you advertise and promise the consumer or you will be sued....

I have endured enough headache and lost more time and money due to YOUR company NOT delivering what they advertised and it is time YOUR comany did the right thing.... for myself and all of the rest of the CONSUMERS who believed in your companies' promises....

ACURA service- I really would appreciate it if you left your onesided bullshit out of this thread.

YOU are NOT the one who has had to deal with continual problems, pathetic customer service and lack of manufactor support.
AND the numbers of transmissions are FAR beyond that of the average car in production today ESPICALLY those that cost in excess of $30,000
Old 02-27-2002, 06:24 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Acura service needs to lok at the figures AGAIN

Originally posted by jjc001
If you are even attempting to represent the "company" I think you're just as brainwashed as the rest of the regional managers......

If you build a faulty product (& do NOT stand behind your product) you deserve to be sued and or put out of business...

ALSO, if you represent yourself to have an "exceptional" product and you provide the "BEST" customer service then you had damn well better deliver on what you advertise and promise the consumer or you will be sued....

I have endured enough headache and lost more time and money due to YOUR company NOT delivering what they advertised and it is time YOUR comany did the right thing.... for myself and all of the rest of the CONSUMERS who believed in your companies' promises....

ACURA service- I really would appreciate it if you left your onesided bullshit out of this thread.

YOU are NOT the one who has had to deal with continual problems, pathetic customer service and lack of manufactor support.
AND the numbers of transmissions are FAR beyond that of the average car in production today ESPICALLY those that cost in excess of $30,000
how is it one sided, i have a MY01 CLS also, i don't work for acura i work for an acura dealer, and i am an acura customer, i said i hope everything works out

and to your remark about not standing behind the product, there is a warranty for repairs, not a guarantee that nothing will ever happen, and if you said i'm not the one dealing with problems, think again, my job is a service advisor

sometimes the best or exceptional is only as good to the person as you think it is, execptional may mean if there is any problem i want a new car (squeek rattle whatever), or some may think having something fixed the first time is exceptional, we all have opinions consumers and the factory

man, its a shitty situation i understand, take it easy on me, i hope everything works out for you and your problems are resolved to your satisfaction
Old 02-27-2002, 06:26 PM
www.drippinwet.com

mercedes benz spent over a billion dollars in warranty repairs last year, i know acura was no where near that figure and all but one car are over $30,000
Old 02-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Old timer

Said it many times before, and I'll say it once more:

There is no reason for us to have to suffer with worrying whether or not this trip in our car will be the one when the defect in the transmission finally rears its ugly head and leaves us stranded on the side of the road.

This is an KNOWN ISSUE and it's a QUALITY ISSUE and it's a DEFECT and it still hasn't been recalled.

This is NOT just random wear-and-tear, nor is it something we should be expected to live with.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:55 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by JRock
Said it many times before, and I'll say it once more:

There is no reason for us to have to suffer with worrying whether or not this trip in our car will be the one when the defect in the transmission finally rears its ugly head and leaves us stranded on the side of the road.

This is an KNOWN ISSUE and it's a QUALITY ISSUE and it's a DEFECT and it still hasn't been recalled.

This is NOT just random wear-and-tear, nor is it something we should be expected to live with.
JROCK, i'm not defending acura, but you got to remember EVERY make and model from every mfg will have some sort of a problem, its very possible you may have a problem and very possible you may not. - if you car is exhibiting a problem, you (and i) am not expected to live with it
Old 02-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Old timer

Yes you are defending Acura by being thickheaded in not acknowledging the difference between "any normal random chance of a problem" and "a known problem that would normally initiate a recall, warning, or other safety measure".

We're not a bunch of worried old ladies who are afraid to get in our cars because there's a chance we might get a flat tire while out on the road. We're pissed off because we have to live with the knowledge that there is a good chance our tranny will shit out for no good reason - because of a manufacturing/design flaw that is a known issue that Acura refuses to directly address other than to replace one shitty tranny with another.

There is absolutely no reason I should have to explain all of this as it's common sense.

Stop defending Acura. Wake up to the reality of a problem Acura knows about but refuses to fix properly.

It's analogy time but I won't bother wasting my time creating an analogy to demonstrate just how ridiculous and unacceptable it is to go about this issue the way Acura has. Replacing one bad tranny with another one does not FIX the issue, it just restarts the timer on your car and allows them to say they've done something to address the issue. It's a way for them to AVOID actually FIXing the issue.

It doesn't matter for shit what they tell you or us, what matters is their actions, and to this point they have done NOTHING to FIX the transmission problem that causes trannies to fail the way they are. When a FIX is issued, there will be a recall. What they are doing now is just replacing one tranny with another just as likely to fail (proven by there being people on their THIRD trannies).

And don't even try to play yourself off as some independent party - you work for them. You can't be objective on this issue, but we don't expect you to be, so just chill out and stop trying to play us like that.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Thank you JROCK

acura_service you stated "sometimes the best or exceptional is only as good to the person as you think it is, exceptional may mean if there is any problem i want a new car (squeek rattle whatever), or some may think having something fixed the first time is exceptional"

#1- We are not discussing a "squeek" or "rattle" and you damn well know it. We are talking about the second most CRITICAL component in a vehicle today the TRANSMISSION.

#2- The transmissions that ACURA uses in ours cars is a KNOWN problem and yet the company REFUSES to admit that there is even a problem..... they state that "the numbers of failures are a 'low' percentage" of the vehicle on the road today.

#3- You work for a dealership that represents the company there for you represent the company itself. PLEASE do everyone a favor and keep your BIASED opinion to yourself.

#4- If your wife or child were in the car with you and they died in a vehicle accident due to your transmission failure would you seek restitution from the company you represent? Or would you say " oh well.... Acura says that the problem is isolated and it could have happened to anyone"

We all KNOW exactly what you would do and you being a 'service advisor' would further help YOUR lawsuit against them because you have inside knowledge of the TRUE figures

acura_service you then stated "Mercedes Benz spent over a billion dollars in warranty repairs last year, I know Acura was no where near that figure and all but one car are over $30,000"

My question to you is this....
Was there ONE singular point of failure with their product and did they try to hide it from the consumer as ACURA has???

The answer is NO there was NOT a single component that endangered the SAFETY of the consumer and Mercedes has NOT tried to hide anything---> ACURA HAS and continues to do so

INSTEAD of sticking up for them (because I know you can't voice your true opinion for fear of losing your job) why don't you just remain quiet......

There's a saying that I learned in the military and it goes something like "IF you're not going to be a part of the solution DON'T be a part of the problem"
Old 02-27-2002, 09:34 PM
www.drippinwet.com

guys, sometimes i only say the things i do because i see both sides of the story, if acura is hiding something, that sucks, if they are letting the problem go, that sucks - i don't want to make waves here - i hope everything works out for you

c.k. out
Old 02-28-2002, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My transmission slipped for the first time about a week ago, it has done it a couple times now. I have about 7700 miles on my 01 CLS purchased a year ago.

Should I bring it in to the dealership? I don't think so... They are 30 minutes away and they probably won't be able to reproduce the problem so it looks like I'm just going to have to wait for it to fail... What are my options here, really?

-Ash
Old 02-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Ash:
Call your dealership and at least make them aware of it. That way it is documented. They may want to check it out !
Keep us posted !
Old 03-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Advanced

jjc,

Just wanted to send some additional words of encouragement from the peanut gallery.

I've investigated the option of resale on my vehicle to avoid the transmission woes that I suspect CL-S owners are destined to experience. For the first time ever, I am faced with the prospect of a substantial loss as a direct result of the less than spectacular resale value on this vehicle. The poor resale value on this "luxury" coupe only deepens my sense of outrage at Acura for producing a vehicle with a defect ridden transmission and then failing to issue a TSB or a recall notice to resolve the issue.

At the end of the day, this is a consumer driven economy. Acura has many large competitors in the "luxury" market segment and cannot afford a black-eye on a volume seller like the TL / CL line. Your lawsuit and your action through the NHTSA has already most likely had the effect of increasing Acura's cost of doing business. I noted with interest Acura's recent decision to publish a large number of TSBs that were previously unavailable to the public at large.

Please keep the pressure on Acura.

Thanks....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 03-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Advanced

wow, you guys are feisty over here! what about those who sold their cl's because of the tranny problem, can we still scream at acura, i'll write anything, call anyone. i owe myself that for the worst investment ever made! keep us updated and good luck!
Old 03-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

No word as of yet

Guys,

The lawyer and I haven't gotten anything from the BBB yet and he (the lawyer) says this may be a goood thing.

1) BBB may very well be indecisive of their decision (how much ACURA must refund me) due to the enormous ammount of facts and stats we brought to arbritration.

2) I brought ALL of my recipts for parts and labor (aftermarket equipment) that I added onto the car so they'll probablly need some time to verify my expenses.

3) If they were going to outright DENY my claim the attorney stated that they would have responded immediately so......

I'm KEEPING my fingers crossed and will let you all know AS SOON AS I RECEIVE THE REPLY FROM THEM.

Then IF things go favorably for me I will post as much info on what I did in the arbritration for all to see AND use. Maybe it'll help the rest of you that are having this same problem. I'll do all I can for the other members of the board who also have endured transmission failures and pathetic manufactor support.

Battling the "all-mighting" Acura as always,
Jay
Old 03-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: No word as of yet

Guys,

The lawyer and I haven't gotten anything from the BBB yet and he (the lawyer) says this may be a goood thing.

1) BBB may very well be indecisive of their decision (how much ACURA must refund me) due to the enormous ammount of facts and stats we brought to arbritration.

2) I brought ALL of my recipts for parts and labor (aftermarket equipment) that I added onto the car so they'll probablly need some time to verify my expenses.

3) If they were going to outright DENY my claim the attorney stated that they would have responded immediately so......

I'm KEEPING my fingers crossed and will let you all know AS SOON AS I RECEIVE THE REPLY FROM THEM.

Then IF things go favorably for me I will post as much info on what I did in the arbritration for all to see AND use. Maybe it'll help the rest of you that are having this same problem. I'll do all I can for the other members of the board who also have endured transmission failures and pathetic manufactor support.

Battling the "all-mighting" Acura as always,
Jay

Keep up the good work man!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Adult Supervision

I think I'll jump in here. My trans is good so far and I just turned 20k so we'll see.

What are you guys really expecting? Do you honestly expect that Acura will come out with a redesigned transmission and recall every 2001-2003 CL and TL to replace the transmissions. IS THAT REALLY WHAT YOU THINK THIS BUSINESS WILL DO? Are you nuts? Whether that is "the right thing" or not is virtually irrelevant whether you like it or not. They won't EVER do that until they are forced to by someone and it won't be the BBB.

If you look at the sales of those cars in total and multiply that times the cost in parts, labor, new design etc they just can't financially make that decision.

If a few of you get satisfaction then that is great, but the majority of us are going to be stuck with some (or a lot) of inconvenience while our trans are getting changed.

Can you say Audi 5000? Can you say Jaguar? Can you say Saab?

If you think a recall will be made on all these Acura models, then I guess FORD will be giving me a new car because my Exploder has a flawed design. Not going to happen. Too much $$. Good or bad, that is the fact!

Sorry but if you think this will go down any other way; WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:32 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by MikeS 18
I think I'll jump in here. My trans is good so far and I just turned 20k so we'll see.

What are you guys really expecting? Do you honestly expect that Acura will come out with a redesigned transmission and recall every 2001-2003 CL and TL to replace the transmissions. IS THAT REALLY WHAT YOU THINK THIS BUSINESS WILL DO? Are you nuts? Whether that is "the right thing" or not is virtually irrelevant whether you like it or not. They won't EVER do that until they are forced to by someone and it won't be the BBB.

If you look at the sales of those cars in total and multiply that times the cost in parts, labor, new design etc they just can't financially make that decision.

If a few of you get satisfaction then that is great, but the majority of us are going to be stuck with some (or a lot) of inconvenience while our trans are getting changed.

Can you say Audi 5000? Can you say Jaguar? Can you say Saab?

If you think a recall will be made on all these Acura models, then I guess FORD will be giving me a new car because my Exploder has a flawed design. Not going to happen. Too much $$. Good or bad, that is the fact!

Sorry but if you think this will go down any other way; WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.
Who says Acura has even figured the problem out? A few people are on their third transmission. ALthough the problem might be with the install and not the new tranny, it still doesn't install confidence.

You talk about business. What about the business that WE the consumer give them????? Don't ever bite the hand that feeds you. I don't give a shit how much Acura has to pay. If you make a mistake then you should pay. Especially business. I expect Acura to say SOMETHING. Even it's we know that there is a problem and if it happens to you then Acura will fix it. No questions asked. I will probably end up getting rid of my CLS because of the transimission. I have to purchase an extended warranty just so i can get through the term of my loan so i can be sure that the transmission that Acura fucked up won't end up being charged to me.

Bitching and whining, sorry pal. I don't make payments every month just to ditch the car early. If i wanted to do that, i would've just bought a domestic.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:27 PM
www.drippinwet.com

zapata, if you never need a new trans how will you feel at that point?
Old 03-10-2002, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

RESULTS form BBB to be POSTED tomorrow night

BBB called me on Friday and told me they had the results. They're going to FAX over the results to my work tomorrow.... I'm working late tomorrow night but I'll scan in the results and post it for everyone to see...
See you all tomorrow
J
Old 03-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by acura_service
zapata, if you never need a new trans how will you feel at that point?
Annoyed. There isn't a reason in the world why i should have to worry about whether or not my transmission is going to break and when it will happen and if Acura will be so kind as to fix it. Why am i worrying? Because if i decide to keep the car then i have to purchase an additional warranty to make sure Acura fixes the mistake they made. Acura doesn't can't assure that any of the CL transmissions will hold, why should I have that faith?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: RESULTS form BBB to be POSTED tomorrow night

BBB called me on Friday and told me they had the results. They're going to FAX over the results to my work tomorrow.... I'm working late tomorrow night but I'll scan in the results and post it for everyone to see...
See you all tomorrow
J

Hopefully, it's good news! Good luck!
Old 03-11-2002, 11:53 AM
www.drippinwet.com

dude, there are no guarantees in life, any car can have anything go wrong with it, you shouldn't live under the worry umbrella
i know some cars have had problems, but that doesn't mean they all will

i'll be driving worry free, if it happens. it happens. if it doesn't. it doesn't
Old 03-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

dude, there are no guarantees in life, any car can have anything go wrong with it, you shouldn't live under the worry umbrella
i know some cars have had problems, but that doesn't mean they all will

i'll be driving worry free, if it happens. it happens. if it doesn't. it doesn't

1- Glad you have such a carefree out look on life.

2- Some cars and not all, ok. Well that's good but when more than 2% of the members on this board have unexplainable failures and some have multiple failures there is a problem that needs to be fixed.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Slam!

acura_service,

get a clue, and quit being a ponce. :wackit: it seems what we are talking about here is more than just a freak occurrence. moreover, i want to live with an umbrella, i hope it doesnt rain on you...
Old 03-11-2002, 07:10 PM
www.drippinwet.com

yeah, yeah, i understand, i wouldn't want a bad transmission no more than the next guy, but i would never live in fear to drive a car and wonder about "what if" - if it bothered me that much i would get rid of it, its only a car, there are more important things in life, family, health - i'm sure most people just can't dump a car so i see there side as well (but it is 2% - which is a low percentage (unless you are one of the 2%))
Old 03-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

yeah, yeah, i understand, i wouldn't want a bad transmission no more than the next guy, but i would never live in fear to drive a car and wonder about "what if" - if it bothered me that much i would get rid of it, its only a car, there are more important things in life, family, health - i'm sure most people just can't dump a car so i see there side as well (but it is 2% - which is a low percentage (unless you are one of the 2%))
I don't fear driving my car. What i do fear is getting stuck with replacing a transimission after the warranty runs out. It does bother me and i will likely get rid of the car unless Acura recalls or does something to assure me that i won't be about 2k+ when my transmission fails after the warranty is expired.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Slam!

I am thinking these people here prolly mod their cars and drive them pretty hard, so that may be a reason for the high percentage of bad trans. acura_service, do you have any gauge on how big of an issue this has been for the typeS CLs at your dealership?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by flipwhip
I am thinking these people here prolly mod their cars and drive them pretty hard, so that may be a reason for the high percentage of bad trans. acura_service, do you have any gauge on how big of an issue this has been for the typeS CLs at your dealership?

Do some research before you make statements. :shakehd: Transmission failures are happening without regard to "harddriving" or modifications.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:24 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by flipwhip
we replaced 2 so far, one tl one cl they were both for a noise, not failure

it could have something to do with a small percentage
Old 03-11-2002, 07:26 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by Zapata

I don't fear driving my car. What i do fear is getting stuck with replacing a transimission after the warranty runs out. It does bother me and i will likely get rid of the car unless Acura recalls or does something to assure me that i won't be about 2k+ when my transmission fails after the warranty is expired.
zapata there are no gurantees but i have seen goodwill on every carline
Old 03-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Slam!

hey, i read that a lot of people didnt mod their cars and didnt drive them hard and whatnot and still had their tranny die. but, that still doesnt mean it isnt a factor...the percentage of bad trannies could still be much lower.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Slam!

er...i forgot to use english (and to think i am at college). i meant to say the percentage of un-moded CLs with bad trannies could be much lower.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:53 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

zapata there are no gurantees but i have seen goodwill on every carline

Oh for sure. I'm not questioning the effort or desire but when something is wrong it needs to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Settlement issues- Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2