the past hurts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 06:56 PM
whoXwanXsum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the past hurts!

picked up my car from the dealer after getting the 30k service today. i copied and shared soopas article about tranny failure with my service rep. he then tells me my car is on its 2ND tranny. i bought it with 20.5k miles, 2ND tranny went in at 20.4k miles. im so pissed about this tranny shit, i cant take it anymore. i am gonna get together about 5k and get rid of this car in december if not sooner. i am gonna get a used gs4 or 3. i have a small child and if my tranny went out and i got rear ended.... :angry: :angry: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:.i dont even wanna think about it. some people say its ok because i have an x-warranty but fuck that. would you wanna live in your house if your roof MIGHT collapse?
im no english major, sorry for the grammar
Old 09-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Balla on a Budget

Old 09-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Sorry to hear about that. I've never had a tranny problem, but even I know that comparison to your roof caving in is not the same.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:54 PM
whoXwanXsum

Originally posted by kensteele
Sorry to hear about that. I've never had a tranny problem, but even I know that comparison to your roof caving in is not the same.
cmon bro! i have a 9 month old. you mean to tell me you feel safe driving around with a child in your car when it can go from 5th to 2nd? just like the woman in the article said, when it happens its not as if the brake lights come on. i hardly deserved a
Old 09-11-2002, 10:55 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken,
you have to be in the car when your car downshifts from 5th to 2nd on the crowded freeway to know exactly what it feels like. Happened to me twice and scared the hell out of me. After the first time, I told myself, "I'll just wait until the weekend, only 2 days away." After the second time, which was on the same day. I called my dealer and dropped my car off right away. Btw, I drove on 2nd gear all the way to the dealer.

EDIT: It slowed down much faster than you pressing the brake. It's more like you SLAM on the brake FAST. And you never know if there was a 18-wheeler right behind you when it decides to downshift.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:21 PM
The Quite One

Originally posted by dbox
cmon bro! i have a 9 month old. you mean to tell me you feel safe driving around with a child in your car when it can go from 5th to 2nd? just like the woman in the article said, when it happens its not as if the brake lights come on. i hardly deserved a
If you think you and your child will be safe in another car think again! I don't care who makes the car, but all of them have some hidden safety problem!!! At least we know about the CL transmission problem, and with that knowledge you should be able to handle the car if the car's transmission goes. And lets not forget the crazy drives on the road.

First and formost I think it is a great that you think of your child first!! Not enough parents do in my opinion. It's your desion about getting a different car! I just thought I would share my .02 worth on the subject. Good luck with the car you choose!

Matthew
Old 09-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Drifting

I don't know bro, a GS4 or 3 can be percieved to be safer than a CL, but you never know. There are many factors. I've seen some crazy accidents that people walk away from in a BMW and a CL. Then i've seen some crazy pics in which the driver walks away, but the passenger dies and this is the BMW also. It comes down to no matter how much a car manufacture tries to make a car safer, they can only do so much which it comes down to testing chance. All it takes is for one variable to throw off the whole original precaution. I too would be pissed if the tranny problems you've been having happened to me especially if I have a loved one in my car, but please don't get into the mentality that if you purchase a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes, and so on you'll necessarily be that much more safer.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:33 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

get a volvo like driving a tank but with smoother lines now ...
Old 09-12-2002, 08:29 AM
whoXwanXsum

i know we risk our lifes everytime we get behind the wheel, i just dont want a car that may downshift on the freeway. the whole time i have been so easy on my car thinking i had a GOOD one. haha, my tranny only has 8k on it. 28k on the car. i wish we could get an aftermarket tranny. i'd keep the cls in a second then!
Old 09-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Pro

Granted .. all cars are mechanical and electrical and have their inherient design flaws ... however, in this case there is one major difference .. Honda has acknowledged that their original design was not workable and had to redesign it. That redesign only happened a few months ago AND under their own statement, they can't even tell people whose tranny will fail or whose will "go just a bit further" .. basically .. that reads that the tranny is flawed from the beginning .. and any or all of them will fail.

I've refused to take this car any farther than 150 miles from home - my dealer is well aware of that fact .. so is the Jack-Ass VP at Acura .. this just validates my fear.

As for people not wanting to trust it with their loved ones .. well .. I don't blame them .. because I don't want to be the first death because of Honda's piss-poor engineering and testing.

That is not to say that this car is structurally any more un-safe than any other vehicle - but there is an awknowledged problem that makes it more prone to unexpected accidents.

The two mentioned in the article are DAMN lucky that they weren't hurt! It could have easily been a scene from CHiPs .. <hums tune>

-Andy
Old 09-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by dbox
I didn't say I felt safe driving 55mph in a CL that goes from 5th to 2nd in a heartbeat. I just said it's not the same as a roof collapsing in. The roof will collapse at any time, so you bail out until it is fixed, when it collapses, death is near certain. Whereas with the car, you just drive it about 25 mph and you are safe (for the time being until you can get somewhere). You might be safe to drop it off at the dealership after midnite when the roads are clear...whatever. But it's not like a roof collapse in...why so dramatic? There are several dozen things that can go wrong with your car that will result in your untimely demise...like a blown tire. But nobody compares a blown tire to a roof collapsing in on you while you are asleep at night. That's what the rolleyes are for. Maybe you should have compared it to your garage door coming down on you early trapping you in your car or the doorbell wire coming loose and giving you a 100volt shock or the wind blowing the overhanging [pointed] ice off your rooftop onto your head as you are unlocking the front door...but the roof caving it? You must be pushing for a "safety recall". I know it's a bad thing to have a broken tranny...but I guess you just need a new tranny. Are you going to be ok with a new tranny?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:24 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by mattrush78
At least we know about the CL transmission problem, and with that knowledge you should be able to handle the car if the car's transmission goes.
I would challenge any single human being with or without knowledge of this failure to try and remain in control of their vehicle when the immense mechanical drive train wanting to stop surges the car out of control in an absolute split instance while traveling at high speeds as I was (~80mph).

Image if you were in the middle of a turn... with our cars being front wheel drive it would be near impossible to recover/prevent a total loss of control if this happened at high speeds.

You don't get time to prepare for such a failure, mother nature doesn't put life in slow motion and say put both hands on the wheel and secure your head to your headrest...... it just happens in the blink of time and if you don't have a firm grip on the wheel and your surroundings god help you......

Sorry, i'm rambling, I think folks get the picture.

-copland007