Huge Transmission Problem For Acura

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by russianDude

Fine, can ask that also.. But the point of my idea is to have every member to vote in the poll regardless.

Tell 'ya what... Put your poll up.

1. Use whatever means you want to get people to come in.

I can "sticky it" and I've tried to put all of the tranny polls in the links section (I have other stuff to do too, so it doesn't happen every day).
Old 09-04-2002, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by EricL

Tell 'ya what... Put your poll up.

1. Use whatever means you want to get people to come in.

I can "sticky it" and I've tried to put all of the tranny polls in the links section (I have other stuff to do too, so it doesn't happen every day).

Eric, I think we should create a poll that FORCES every member to vote ONCE when they login.
Lets say I come to the web site www.acura-cl.com, the system imeadetly recognizes my IP address, and loggs me in automaticly, right?
As soon as a member auto-logs in, he should be asked one BIG question ( taking up the entire web page ).
"Has your CLS transmission failed?
1. Yes.
2. No
3. Having problems.
4. N/A"

You vote and enter your username and password

YOU MUST answer 1 though 4 before you can do anything else on this website! Once you answer, you are taken to the normal viewing of forums.

This is certainly possible, but I don't know if anyone will be willing to implement these kind of a system.

We could talk about it if someone likes that idea, I am a computer programmer, so I might have some suggestions and might be able to help.

If this is done correctly, we should get high turn around of votes.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
russian dude is right--if one Lexus or BMW dealer votes in the poll under various names and gives a few false transmission failure reports, it will increase the failure rate by several per cent (as there are only about 120 votes).

The most unbiased poll that is available is that by Consumer Reports, which recieves enough reports to achieve statistical significance. If they dont recieve enough information for statistical significance, they dont report on that car model. As Consumer Reports polls its subscribers by mail, it is much less subject to the type of false reports as internet polls. (false reports probably occur. but its probably evens out over the different car models)
And, while I feel bad for the people with transmission probelms, the Acura CL transmission got the best rating for frequency of repair in their 2001 cars, while a good number of other 2001 cars did not.
If I assume that 1/3 of all Cl cars sold are type S, and that ALL failures occurred in the type S, then since Consumer Repots says that the CL has less than a 2% transmission failure rate (thats how they report the data), this puts an upper limit of less than 6% as the failure rate in 2001 CL type S. Thats assuming that ALL failures were in the CLS, and that the failure rate was 1.999%. In actuality, we dont know if the failure rate was 1.999 or 0.01%, or if it occured just as frequently in the base Cl, which would lower the frequency in CL type S a hell of a lot . The *6% is just the worst case scenario upper limit failure rate for the type S transmission for the devils advocates out there.
Old 09-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by russianDude

Eric, I think we should create a poll that FORCES every member to vote ONCE when they login.
Lets say I come to the web site www.acura-cl.com, the system imeadetly recognizes my IP address, and loggs me in automaticly, right?
As soon as a member auto-logs in, he should be asked one BIG question ( taking up the entire web page ).
"Has your CLS transmission failed?
1. Yes.
2. No
3. Having problems.
4. N/A"

You vote and enter your username and password

YOU MUST answer 1 though 4 before you can do anything else on this website! Once you answer, you are taken to the normal viewing of forums.

This is certainly possible, but I don't know if anyone will be willing to implement these kind of a system.

We could talk about it if someone likes that idea, I am a computer programmer, so I might have some suggestions and might be able to help.

If this is done correctly, we should get high turn around of votes.

Sorry, to sound "neg", but I have a feeling Soopa (the Admin) is not going to go for this. I did ask at one point about the ability of the board software hacks to be able to "join" on particular fields and or a poll with multiple field entry -- no go...

So, let me tell what I expect some of the "why nots" to be:

1. We don't want to micromanage or MAKE members take a poll (you have to PM Soopa about this -- it's his board). (Hey, if you have a good idea and know vBullentin and Apache, etc, and you can device a “plug able” framework, who knows…)

2. If you have your own web site and have a database with ASP, CGI, Perl, JSP, whatever, (with DB) then you are free to setup everything and anything you want. IMO, the biggest "catch" is getting and validating the VINs to insure that you are getting REAL data (and I'm sure some people could bring up issues with this, but... such is life)

3. AS for the auto log in, normally there is the USER_AGENT (for IP)... However, something to consider -- if your behind a firewall, there are going to be some folks with "duped" address (non-unique) addresses since they appear to be at a single address (NAT, firewall, etc).

4. With this site, someone would have to write a front-end script (that integrates into the vBulletin package) and I have no clue where the hooks are on vBulletin. So, there was talk of a guy over on the V6Accord board opening up his own board for tranny info...

5. You still need to "validate" the VIN. You can look at a credit card and "validate it" (just to know if someone's dropped a number or it is just garbage). However, to know if it is REAL, you have to run the transaction. As for the Acura VINs, I have no idea how you would verify that there was no funny business going on.

-END NEGS-

OK, what if you post an idea over in Car Talk that says the polls just do not have enough people voting and run a poll there that asks, "How would you get everyone with or without tranny problems to answer a poll" (for a fixed period, etc -- per you ideas with 4-choices (or other viable alternative)?

If you want to "hack" at the board -- talk to Soopa. He's the man. When it comes to having any "force" of effect, I’m at the bottom of the totem pole.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by pnlop
russian dude is right--if one Lexus or BMW dealer votes in the poll under various names and gives a few false transmission failure reports, it will increase the failure rate by several per cent (as there are only about 120 votes).

The most unbiased poll that is available is that by Consumer Reports, which recieves enough reports to achieve statistical significance. If they dont recieve enough information for statistical significance, they dont report on that car model. As Consumer Reports polls its subscribers by mail, it is much less subject to the type of false reports as internet polls. (false reports probably occur. but its probably evens out over the different car models)
And, while I feel bad for the people with transmission probelms, the Acura CL transmission got the best rating for frequency of repair in their 2001 cars, while a good number of other 2001 cars did not.
If I assume that 1/3 of all Cl cars sold are type S, and that ALL failures occurred in the type S, then since Consumer Repots says that the CL has less than a 2% transmission failure rate (thats how they report the data), this puts an upper limit of less than 6% as the failure rate in 2001 CL type S. Thats assuming that ALL failures were in the CLS, and that the failure rate was 1.999%. In actuality, we dont know if the failure rate was 1.999 or 0.01%, or if it occured just as frequently in the base Cl, which would lower the frequency in CL type S a hell of a lot . The *6% is just the worst case scenario upper limit failure rate for the type S transmission for the devils advocates out there.

I know your trying here, and your opinion is just as valid as any other. However, while I go out and buy Consumer Reports for various items that I purchase and it "influences" my purchases it’s one tool (of many) and I would feel a lot better if there was a demographic or other breakdown that allowed someone to "cut" the data.

The re-slicing of the CR data, gets so "iffy" that were back to guessing again. Is my guess better than your guess?

I'll take this a step further -- there are some subtle patterns that seem to be forming and there may be two root causes: Q/A, design, and/or heat/use issues that are entering into this. To get a handle on this and actually make people feel good, better, worse, whatever about there car, it would be nice to know MORE about what is going on. As it stands we are definitely getting the mushrooms being sprinkled with shit treatment from Acura

I personally would feel better if I had

Failure point (cause of failure)
Year, miles, driver demographics.
Build date
Parts batch
etc
etc

The point is this: even if there is only a 1% failure, without knowing the "details" of what to look for (that's assuming that Honda/Acura knows), I don't know if this is like having a statistic for number of shark bite and/or lighting strike deaths in the US per annum. At least in both cases I mentioned, you can make some decisions to increase or reduce your odds and the partitioning of the data is what makes this possible...

So, maybe part of the question is: what would make people feel better. If I just knew that I had to be "careful" during certain times/conditions, I would be happy to accommodate a few "idiosyncrasies" for a great car. In addition, if it turns out that a bad batch of parts has caused 90% of the failures (and there is nothing you can do), then it would be nice to know that you can just go out and drive the car hard and if you have a failure it was predestined... Finally, a combination in-between could also be useful if someone said, 80% of the failures are from overheating and the other 20% were from some bad parts we got... (And on and on and on)

I don't expect nor have I ever seen that data given out unless there was a federal inquiry...

Ironic: If the car wasn’t so well liked, everyone would probably just say, the car sucks anyway, and I’m getting another – why bother with any of this…
Old 09-10-2002, 08:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission problem

I bought an Acura before I found this web site. Now I wish that I had found this site before I shelled out the big bucks. My tranny is really screwed. It hesitates to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. While cruising along I-435 yesterday morning, I attempted to switch lanes and accelerate to pass slower traffic. Instead of the car down-shifting from 5th gear to 4th gear, it downshifted all the way to 2nd gear, darned near throwing me into the dashboard. I'm sure it would have had I not been wearing my seat belt. These trannys are a definite hazard and danger to the driver and others on the highway. I have only 86,000 miles on my Acura. I'm headed back to the Acura service department tomorrow. Will keep you posted on the outcome. After the first visit, the tech said the tranny had old fluid, even though it had been recently changed.

I have a 2000 Acura TL. Never red-lined it. Not under warranty. Acura dealership originally wnted to charge me $6100 to replace tranny. Wrote letter to Exec VP regarding "Russian roulette the Acura way" , and got the cost down to $900. That's still $900 too much for a defective tranny that "prematurely"(Honda's words) wears out.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally posted by birvie
I bought an Acura before I found this web site. Now I wish that I had found this site before I shelled out the big bucks. My tranny is really screwed. It hesitates to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. While cruising along I-435 yesterday morning, I attempted to switch lanes and accelerate to pass slower traffic. Instead of the car down-shifting from 5th gear to 4th gear, it downshifted all the way to 2nd gear, darned near throwing me into the dashboard. I'm sure it would have had I not been wearing my seat belt. These trannys are a definite hazard and danger to the driver and others on the highway. I have only 86,000 miles on my Acura. I'm headed back to the Acura service department tomorrow. Will keep you posted on the outcome. After the first visit, the tech said the tranny had old fluid, even though it had been recently changed.
What year and model do you have?

What your Driving style? Red line it offten?

Still have warranty?

Did you join this web site solely because your tranny failed?
Old 09-11-2002, 02:10 AM
Pro

Originally posted by IntegraVT
Toyota has their own quiet campaign with the V6 sludge problem.
I don't know how quiet it is. When my mother-in-law's Avalon started smoking on start-up I took it in to the dealer for her & the service advisor was totally straight forward, "Yes sir we have a TSB for this. There was a batch of V-6's with bad valve guide seals & the problem has been identified & we will take care of it."

A Camry loaner was provided & the warranty work was done with no problems. In & out in less than a week with no problems & the car has been fine ever since.

A better experience than what I had with my CL-S. Acura's handling of this issue doesn't live up to the image they sell/promise!