From the Honda website:

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the Honda website:

This is old news- a notice about the recall.. but what I found striking was this quote..

seen here: http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html

The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries. “We are acting out of an abundance of caution to ensure that this doesn’t become an issue for our customers,’” said Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Are their eyes closed? WTF?
Old 09-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL what a bunch of shit...its an issue...and im never buying a honda or acura again
Old 09-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Other recourse, see the link here.

Originally Posted by ryanG007
LOL what a bunch of shit...its an issue...and im never buying a honda or acura again
Additional recourse is at the following link:

http://www.bigclassaction.com/class_action/acura.html

Please join those of us that have registered.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura is correct. They are talking about the 2nd gear and not the deadly downshift..

Originally Posted by Dead-Fox
This is old news- a notice about the recall.. but what I found striking was this quote..

seen here: http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html

Are their eyes closed? WTF?

This seems to come up over and over again.

Acura’s/Honda’s statement could very well be true -- especially at that point in time. Acura is commenting on the second gear issue *and* NOT the spontaneous downshift issue/clutch pack issues.

The spontaneous downshift was the original "issue" that got the NHTSA to look into Acura's tranny (not the worn or chipped second gear). There were (are) quite a few instances of failures and accidents on the NHTSA's website. I only found one injury -- there could be more.

As to the second gear "squirter" issue, this is an entirely different matter *and* the press release you quoted/linked to is talking about the second gear squirter/”band-aid” fix.

The NHTSA documents that I "ripped apart" had NO mention of any second gear failures or complaints. I had checked again about a month ago.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EricL-- thanks for the clarification on that- I had equated those two issues as being the same.. incorrectly.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Instructor

These units must have multiple problems. Clutch pack wearing- fouling filter, overheating, 2nd gear failing, suicide downshifts, slip shifting etc. What came first, the chicken or the egg.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Racer

Aclura good points........... You also stated you had a lock-up at 70 mph ..So did I . First time gave me whiplash ...After replacement ..tranny failed again lock-up again causing 3 car accident ..How did your lock-up effect you ?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by That Girl
Aclura good points........... You also stated you had a lock-up at 70 mph ..So did I . First time gave me whiplash ...After replacement ..tranny failed again lock-up again causing 3 car accident ..How did your lock-up effect you ?
These will make good stories.
My wife reported the car acting funny, and sure enough after it was driven about 10 minutes the shifting went nuts. It would shift out of gear, hard shift, take a long time to shift, and the granddaddy of all shifts---downshift to 1/2 from 40-60mph ( a whole new experience for me). This was a test drive, what if I was not expecting it.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aclura
These units must have multiple problems. Clutch pack wearing- fouling filter, overheating, 2nd gear failing, suicide downshifts, slip shifting etc. What came first, the chicken or the egg.
It's called a cascade failure.

The clutch packs wear.

The crud gets all through the system.

(If this was the end of it, you would just get lousy shifts or no motion.)

However, with the earlier units, the "crud" caused a pipe strainer to burst, and that caused hydraulic pressures to rise in an unexpected way that results in the 5- to 2 spontaneous downshift.

-- This can all be traced back to quality control and clutch packs that disintegrate --

The second gear band-aid fix is related to insufficient lubrication and "spot heating" AT the second gear.

Interesting that spot heating seems to be the "bane" of the box.

Clutch packs get too hot (typically during 2-3 and 3-2 shifts at WOT or 6/8ths throttle). Repeated application just moves the temp higher and higher.

And, now:

Second gear gets too hot during "certain" conditions where the 2nd gear assembly is "starved" for sufficient lubrication.

The ATF serves two purposes (at a minimum):

1. Lubrication
2. Cooling.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Great Post! Mine has never been driven hard.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Great Post! Mine has never been driven hard.

As a note....

There were a number of people that insisted that they didn't drive their cars hard, and they had problems.

If you ever get a slip (flare) or really nasty shifts, get the car into Acura for a new tranny.

The early models didn't have the upgrades to prevent the 5- to 2-downshift from happening. I can't tell you exactly which ones will and will NOT do this once the tranny starts to slip (or do other weird things).

If you keep the shifts down, have a tranny that is a "good" one (got some dice?), there is a good chance that you may go a very long time.

I keep the car in SS to keep the car in 2nd and 3rd to reduce shifts at the expense of lost gas mileage (this while I'm driving around in town).

I can only tell you with certainty that constant WOT 2-3 and 3-2 shifts cause a ton of heat and wear on the clutch packs. When Acura did their tests for the NHTSA, they got the clutches to FRY the ATF next to the clutch packs after a few series of 2-3/3-2 runs. They actually needed a "break" between sets of runs to keep from overheating the second and third clutch packs.

They added some changes to subsequent trannies; they altered the valving, PCM, clutch material, so on, and they managed to reduce the heat rise. However, they did NOT eliminate the problem. And, as others can attest, a number of the replacement boxes were pretty crappy -- and didn't last very long.

So, it's kind of a "good news"/"bad news" deal.

Perhaps you will be lucky.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Ericl, This heat should be produced from load, I'm not arguing with you, but a car should take hard driving without its tranny melting. It apparently needs more cooling and what else?
Old 09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Ericl, This heat should be produced from load, I'm not arguing with you, but a car should take hard driving without its tranny melting. It apparently needs more cooling and what else?

Yes, a car should be able to take hard driving.

However, Acura clearly showed in its tests that the clutch packs overheated when they did repeated 2-3 /3-2 WOT cycles.

You can get all of the cool fluid you want at one point in a tranny, and if you don't get that cooling fluid to critical points, you get "spot" heating.

My guesses as to why:

1. Economy (they tried to keep ATF pump losses down).
2. Blunder (they simply didn't figure our or have adequate modeling tools)
3. Cost controls (they knew that it would fail).
4. All of the above or some combination.

All of this is speculation, and it would be easy enough to just add wider and bigger gears, more clutch disks. However, here are some things to consider:

1. By adding low-tech clutch disks, and widening the gearbox, they would increase the weight of the transaxle without "exotic" materials or advanced design. When you increase the weight of the gears, you have more inertia -- this makes it harder to stop the very gear you’re trying to stop and start. Remember, the box is not a SMG and it needs to "transition" between gears. During the transitions, you are going to have both clutches engaged. When they are engaged at the same time, they are wearing against each other since the adjacent gear ratios are different. The older CLs and TLs do NOT have an electronic throttle to shut off the power during transitions.

2. If you just make the ATF pump huge, you get even larger parasitic losses, and there goes the power output. An adaptive strategy would be possible and some smart valving would allow for some interesting options. But....

And so on and so on....

Look, V/R is putting in carbon friction material and they claim to be getting good wear results (more info with time -- OK?)

At a minimum, the box needs better cooling (an external cooler in addition to the existing engine coolant-to-ATF hockey-puck cooler).

At one point, I calculated the BTU heat loss based on 10- to 15-percent transaxle loss with 260 HP and came up with a ridiculous amount of heat to reject. (I disregarded the non-thermal energies: e.g. sound, vibration, light, etc.)

IMO, the clutch packs need better material.

The clearances inside the box need to be checked and re-checked to insure an adequate flow of cooling and lubricating ATF to the clutch packs.

It would hurt to add an external ATF filter that could be service at regular intervals.

That's just a start...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Ericl---This hockey puck cooler? Is this a pressed wafer type cooler? I have seen these working as oil coolers, and they cool very well as well as being very small.?
Your four points on causes for this forum are on target. I still smell an "engineered life" for the units that went bad.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Ericl---This hockey puck cooler? Is this a pressed wafer type cooler? I have seen these working as oil coolers, and they cool very well as well as being very small.?
Your four points on causes for this forum are on target. I still smell an "engineered life" for the units that went bad.

I never ripped apart the unit.

However, I did some calcs on plate coolers (fluid-to-fluid) and they have a rather high efficiency -- as do most water-to-water heat exchangers. I couldn't find anything around that would handle the amount of heat based on 260 HP * (10% to 15% loss == waste heat in BTUs).

Let me see if I can find the old posting:

The auto tranny wastes a lot of power, that power has to be turned into heat, and there is only a tiny cooler to get rid of it...

--- Start --

A few thoughts on CLS transmission getting really hot...

First some assumptions and/or facts (depending on your “views):

1. MAX HP of stock CLS engine = 260 HP

2. Typical max wheel HP of unmodified CLS/TLS on Dynojet dnos: 195 to 205 HP.

3. HP lost between engine and wheels is between 55 and 65 HP.

4. Assume that the bulk of this loss is from the transaxle (torque converter, transmission, diff, etc).:

5. The transaxle has only a tiny fluid-to-fluid intercooler to get rid of a shitload of heat.

6. A fluid-to-fluid intercooler is more efficient than an air-to-water intercooler of the same size (with special exceptions). However, that statement presumes that the gas or fluid that is doing the cooling is at identical temperatures. In the case of the CLS, the fluid-to-fluid intercooler is using HOT engine coolant to “cool” the ATF. An add-on air-to-fluid cooler can have its air flowing past at 0- to 120-degrees F (that’s a lot lower than the temperature of the fluid in the stock cooler.

So, I was thinking, 240 degrees max oil temp is about as hot anyone would want to run in a auto tranny with conventional ATF (and you would probably want a synthetic fluid). I also looked around and some anecdotal info implied that gears and clutches could be close to 350 degrees when the ATF is at 240 degrees F. (The people I called and the web pages I found suggest that auto trannies should be run around 175-degrees F for best results.)

So, what does this have to do with anything?

External transmission coolers are generally indicated for heavy-duty operation (drag racing, hill climbing, high temperature climate, police use, towing, and other situations where the ability of the transmission to get rid of “excess” heat is a must. The B&M ATF coolers are rated in GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight). There are a few coolers that specify the amount of heat that they will “exchange” (this should probably be assumed to be a maximum or limiting value as the ambient temp and air flow will have a dramatic effect on this value). One cooler I found has the following dimensions and specs: COOLER H. D. 8" x 18" X 1-1/2" (1 /2 NPT) 14,500-21,500 BTU/HR.

I wanted to first get a “guesstimate” of how much heat is being dissipated at full output and that is where the 55 to 65 HP figure comes in. I am now going to convert those amounts to BTU/HR. The conversion from HP to BTU/hour is: 1 horsepower = 2,547.2 BTU/hour.

IF I assume that 50 HP is being lost under full load conditions (and under continuous WOT operation), the transaxle needs to get rid of approximately 50 * 2547.2 BTUs per hour (127,360.0 BTU/HR). (That’s ten times the amount of cooling available from a good size EXTERNAL plate cooler.)

WOW, 127,360 BTU per hour is a lot of heat to get rid of at full power. How does all that heat get removed from a stock CLS transaxle? (The CV joints and other non-transaxle drivetrain components account for some energy losses and some of the heat [wasted energy] is going to be transferred through the transmission’s case. For argument sake, cut my figure in half and think about driving uphill at WOT for 20 minutes!

Can the CLS’ tiny fluid-to-fluid intercooler with its “sink” temperature (engine coolant temperature of around 160 degrees) be capable of keeping the tranny’s temp to 175-degrees F?

And if the car is only running down the road using an average of 26HP, that still means that the “potential” loss is still 127,360 BTU/hp / 10 (260/26) = 12,735 BTU/HR.

IF a BIG cooler is sitting in the car’s air stream is only able to remove 14,000 to 21,000 BTU/HR, it goes to reason that this radiator is only capable for removing the heat energy equal to 25HP/hour (average). What does this say for the CLS when it is being driven at 80-90 MPH up hills WITH THE STOCK COOLER?

Quote from transmission repair site:

“Heat is what sends a transmission to the shop 90% of the time according to the Automatic Transmission Association, a trade group that keeps transmission mechanics informed about special problems and fixes for their profession. If you have a transmission with a hard to fix problem, and a transmission mechanic belongs to this organization, you have a better chance of getting the problem fixed. Only about ten percent of the failures of automatic transmissions with less that 100,000 miles on them are from something other than heat failure. Engineers design a transmission to have a normal operating temperature of 175 degrees F. At 250 degrees, the rubber parts are going to loose flexibility resulting in control servos that leak resulting in slippage when the car starts up cold in the morning. At temperatures higher than 250 degrees, the clutches and bands start to slip causing imminent failure. “

AND

” At elevated operating temperatures, ATF oxidizes, turns brown and takes on a smell like burnt toast. As heat destroys the fluid s lubricating qualities and friction characteristics, varnish begins to form on internal parts (such as the valve body) which interferes with the operation of the transmission. If the temperature gets above 250 degrees F., rubber seals begin to harden, which leads to leaks and pressure losses. At higher temperatures the transmission begins to slip, which only aggravates overheating even more. Above 300oF, the metals inside the transmission will warp and distort in varying degrees, depending on the severity of overheat. Eventually the clutches burn out and the transmission calls it quits. Because this damage occurs and fluid life is so seriously impaired, rocking out snow, mud or sand should never exceed a very few minutes. The only way to repair the damage now is with an overhaul -- a job which can easily run upwards of $1500 on a late model front-wheel drive car or minivan.
As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half. The approximate life expectancy at various temperatures is as follows:
175F 100,000 miles
195F 50,000 miles
212F 25,000 miles
235F 12,000 miles
255F 6,250 miles
275F 3,000 miles
295F 1,500 miles
315F 750 miles
335F 325 miles
375F 80 miles
390F 40 miles
415F Less than 30 minutes

If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.

On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F.!
Tests have shown that the typical original equipment oil cooler is marginal at best. ATF that enters the radiator cooler at 300 degrees F. leaves at 240 to 270 degrees F., which is only a 10 to 20% drop in temperature, and is nowhere good enough for extended fluid life. “

Old 09-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Instructor

How do you get around bad engineering?

Answer: Create a limited warranty and replace trannys until the warranty runs out. Works for me. Honda cannot afford to re-engineer the tranny, so they play the odds that some tranny's will not fail.

I do not hot rod my CL-S and do not use the sequential shifter, but I have a replacement tranny and the marvelous oil jet.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

SS can be your friend!

Originally Posted by allenn
Answer: Create a limited warranty and replace trannys until the warranty runs out. Works for me. Honda cannot afford to re-engineer the tranny, so they play the odds that some tranny's will not fail.

I do not hot rod my CL-S and do not use the sequential shifter, but I have a replacement tranny and the marvelous oil jet.

The SS can be your friend. If you use it to KEEP the car from shifting, you are putting less wear on the clutches.

Every time you shift, you wear the clutches.

I think some people equate the SS with abuse. If you keep the car from shifting or keep it from shifting as much, you're going to cut down on wear.

Drive around town and listen for the shifts. The car will easily shift from 1st to 4th over a small one block area.

If you are in traffic, and the flow is chaotic -- meaning you have to keep changing your speed, you are probably shifting gears.

WOT shifting and high-temps accelerate wear -- to be sure. OTOH, when you shift, you are wearing the clutch disks (a little or a lot -- depends).

So, SS is not necessarily a bad thing. And, gate shifting -- when used to hold the transmission in gear to keep from shifting -- can also help to keep the transmission's clutch wear down.

The downside of using gate shifting and SS to prevent gear change is:

Higher revs == less engine life & more gas consumption

The upside:

Better battery charge & less shifting == less clutch wear.

I've decided to pay a bit more for gas with the above trade-offs.

YMMV