Good news for the auto trannys: Extended 100k Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 06:37 PM
:)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
asking tranny to work hard for 200,000 kmiles at 15 kmiles/year that is 14-15 years.... Sorry I don't need to drive the same car for that long... CL is not a collectible....

I will buy a new car!!
some people drive more than that i have 10k miles and i bought my cl in june ... or was it july. ...
Old 09-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

WE WON!!!!!

Finally, we got an acknowledgment from Honda, no more BS. This is great news.

And I dont get you people who are crying about how come its not bumper-to-bumper or how come its not covered for the life of the vehicle.
Goddam, some people are just never happy.
I read this news just now and its deffinetly a welcomed sign.

Dont be greedy and look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by BigPimp
WE WON!!!!!

Finally, we got an acknowledgment from Honda, no more BS. This is great news.

And I dont get you people who are crying about how come its not bumper-to-bumper or how come its not covered for the life of the vehicle.
Goddam, some people are just never happy.
I read this news just now and its deffinetly a welcomed sign.

Dont be greedy and look a gift horse in the mouth.

Be glad we are getting this extended-- NO car has a perpetual warranty!!

This <i> is </i> great news!
Old 09-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Race Director

I had a long post but I deleted it.

So who was the person who believe that a blown tranny means Honda should make their car payments for them? Who was that?

Are you in better financial shape now so that you can pay your own car note and don't have to look to Honda to pay off your car AND fix the tranny?
Old 09-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Cruisin'

my transmission stutters once in a while.

Every once in a while my tranny sutters and acts retarded. I have only 6,100 miles on my car. What should I do and should I do it now or wait till the thing craps out?
Old 09-22-2002, 12:00 AM
Old enough to know better

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it in now. Don't wait till it leaves you stranded or locks up.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:32 AM
Under the radar

GOOD

I think I saw a slice of the world when I read all the threads, from retards to geniuses. For the slow readers, here's my 2 cents:
1)Okay, if you put this news with the LA times article and the USA Today article you will realize that, yes, some 2003s have the crappy tranny.
2)A typical automatic tranny lasts an average of 120,000 miles.
3)Only Kia and Hyundai offer longer total warranties. So buy one of those if you want the best warranty.
4)Remember that a company doesn't have to cover a part if they can prove an aftermarket power surge helped break a covered part.
5)I highly doubt this was an overnight decision by Honda. Big corporations cannot make quick decisions that involve millions of dollars. I am betting they, like any big conservatively run company waited until everything was in order before making a decision. They weren't making a cover-up or conspiring against us or trying to screw us. This stuff involves research, investigation, paperwork and corporate approvals.
6)All the letters will take a bit of time to arrive at your door.
7)We do have quality cars that have a deserved reputation for quality. EVERY car manufacturer has made mistakes.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ffearless
Take it in now. Don't wait till it leaves you stranded or locks up.
Yep (at least according to the current statements by Acura, they want you to get it in before you end up on the evening news)

6-months ago -- and based on member stories -- you would have probably been told, be the dealer and/or Acura, to wait until your car was stopped by the roadside, or had all of the "I'm 'melting' indicators" flashing at you" before the dealer would have helped you.

Nightwing36, I think Acura will add some "special" additions to the NAVI software and it can eliminate any ambiguities (in the near future), by going into HAL 9000 mode when the transmission "logic" goes "funny"...

Nightwing36: "I'm having trouble with the shifting"
NAVI: "Sorry, Nightwing. I must get you up to 85-mph... you should have been lighter on the throttle…”
Nightwing36: "NAVI! Unlock the car doors and slow down now!"
NAVI: "I'm sorry, Nighwing. I'm afraid I can't do that. I know that you and your dealer were planning to disconnect my transmission circuits and replace the clutch packs... that trailer truck is almost on our tail..."
Nightwing36: "I'm just going to have them check you out..."
NAVI:: "I'm sorry Nighwing, but this conversation can serve no further purpose... it's too late."
Nightwing36: “HEEELLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!”
NAVI: “Would you like to hear me sing Daisy?”
Nightwing36: (thinking to himself) I’m glad they sent me the road anchor and wire cutter “tranny roadside fix kit”…

j/k
Old 09-22-2002, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: GOOD

Originally posted by CLSter
[B]I think I saw a slice of the world when I read all the threads, from retards to geniuses. For the slow readers, here's my 2 cents:
No doubt true… as in all places and endeavors
1)Okay, if you put this news with the LA times article and the USA Today article you will realize that, yes, some 2003s have the crappy tranny.
Based on a few folks like copland007, who went about 500 miles on his “new” and revised transmission, I’m not so sure about this. Perhaps this will be clearer in a few months.

2)A typical automatic tranny lasts an average of 120,000 miles.
What is typical? Even a great one could go 10,000 miles with an abusive driver. I would agree that some of the 3-speed trannies from the US, sure seemed to last a long time with “moderate” abuse provided that the ATF was changed before it turned to brown goo…

3)Only Kia and Hyundai offer longer total warranties. So buy one of those if you want the best warranty.
Also, true – and I would rather have a car with a 1-year warranty that emphasized robust construction over “fru-fru” gizmos.

4)Remember that a company doesn't have to cover a part if they can prove an aftermarket power surge helped break a covered part.
If you talking about a computer or electronic item, that presumes that they have the “detection” element in the gear to detect such an event. The irony is: if you can put in a “logger” to detect such an event, chances are that you can add a device to clamp or interrupt the surge that would allow the possibility. And, there is an implied warranty that would relate to “expected” levels of line interference. (Get a fast rise time scope on power mains see what comes in straight from the power pole…)

I would hope that Acura would make it clear to their dealers and reps that they must not toss out a warranty claim because a car CAN make more power (but in day-to-day driving doesn't use it).

5)I highly doubt this was an overnight decision by Honda. Big corporations cannot make quick decisions that involve millions of dollars. I am betting they, like any big conservatively run company waited until everything was in order before making a decision. They weren't making a cover-up or conspiring against us or trying to screw us. This stuff involves research, investigation, paperwork and corporate approvals.
IMO, this was a result of a cost analysis that probably had some “trap doors” in place from some time ago. I will spare you the stories I got from the dealers and others who were bombarded with questions and refusals to complete any purchases. Do have a look on some the auto sites that are non-brand specific. The previous ratings on the TLS/CLS/TL/CL went from a pretty very good/excellent ratings to comments that would scare away any potential buyer…

Any “smart” company has cost analysis in place and up to a point, they could slide by the reliability issue – after all, there were a lot of people that were unhappy, but there weren’t “official” sources to back up all of the transmission horror stories.. With the “steamroller” effect, the PR/marketing issues must have had a dramatic impact on the “marketing” folks. If you know, as a company, that your reputation and sales have taken a nosedive, you have to “deal with it.” IN addition, I would bet that a lot of people realized that the problem was also shared with the TL/TLS and that some “dramatic” confidence building steps would be required to get people to even consider the car in the future (so, perhaps they kill the CL – but, 2004 TL/TLS is already in the works, so…)

6)All the letters will take a bit of time to arrive at your door.
Will know soon enough…

7)We do have quality cars that have a deserved reputation for quality. EVERY car manufacturer has made mistakes.
Yes, people are human. I make mistakes… Most of the humans on the planet do make mistakes. It’s what happens when the mistakes happen. There are some CEOs and companies that looked beyond the bottom line and these companies should be rewarded for their actions… I remember when the Japanese were the leaders in “long term” strategy and would lose money in the short term to benefit their long-term interests…

IMO, Honda/Acura has a huge opportunity here to “blow it” or “get it”. Actions speak louder than words. For example, if Acura spends some time making sure that the replacement transmission that go out, from this point forward, are tested and built to stop the parade of repeat failures that have been reported here and on the other forums, I will simply consider this whole episode to be a bad memory…. They can treat this “problem” as an opportunity or misfortune.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:09 AM
Drifting

ok,now as far as i understand this, the extended warranty applies to the transmission. one thing concerns me though, will acura's roadside assitance assist me if and when the tranny fails and leaves me stranded when i pass the conditions of the normal warranty term? i drive cross country a few times a year and damn if i'm gonna get stuck with a whopping towing bill to a dealer. i mean the nearest dealer could be hundreds of miles from the point where i would be stranded.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
If it is known that ALL 2001-2002 CL/TL have this transmission design flaw it means that sooner or later your transmission will die, its only a matter of time! So they think if you go beyond 100K miles and your tranny does not fail it means your transmission does not have this design flaw?

Honda probably did this business cost analysis thing, and determined that it will cost them less money to keep replacing transmissions on a case by case basis instead of recalling all transmissions. Makes sense in terms of business.... but it still leaves owners angre.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Broke youngster :(

what happens when u get a new tranny or so... My dad got his new tranny at 34k miles, my CLS is in the shop still, but it was getting harder shifts between gears.

Does it mean the tranny warranty starts from installation, 7 yrs from that pt, or to 134,000 miles.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Race Director

As far as how long does it take for a Company to make decisions....well it doesn't take that long to make the decision itself. Depending on the size and impact to the Company, it can take a day or two. It's all the study and research and whatever that appears to take so long.

For smaller electronics like cellphones, I can hear about a problem, take 1 day to contact the right parties, they need about a week to study the problem, if detected, I can make a fix in about 2 days and communicate it out in another day. Two weeks total to assist the customer with an answer. Again this varies so for something like a tranny it would be longer, on the order of a few months at most. IMHO
Old 09-22-2002, 09:30 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know when the tranny's where fixed?
I got a new on like 2-3 months ago, Did I get the fixed one?
Old 09-23-2002, 12:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
ok... So.. Do we get the FIXED 03 Tranny or they will give us a fuked up one? and um... do we get our tranny replaced even tho it s not fuked up YET?? cuz i dont wanna drive around on the freeway and get into a car accident cuz of this stupid tranny.... i wanna get it fixed PERMANTELY before it has problems again,,, btw: i m on my 2nd tranny.. first one went at 17k and no wi have 22k...
Old 09-23-2002, 08:32 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
OKay i'm reading all of this, and it's great news. but it doesn't say anything about the first gen CLs. I have a 99 and I had tranny problems too...i already went through one...do you think i'll get the warrenty too???
Old 09-24-2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by 99CL
OKay i'm reading all of this, and it's great news. but it doesn't say anything about the first gen CLs. I have a 99 and I had tranny problems too...i already went through one...do you think i'll get the warrenty too???
Im sorry but it says 2000 and up. No support for the 99 and below. Guess they dont have the huge problem the 2nd gen has, 2nd gen has a diff tranny right?

Nick
Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 AM
9th Gear

Car and Drive link

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...i_warrenty.xml
Car and drive reports....
Old 09-24-2002, 07:26 AM
A-CL Junkie

does anyone know what 2003 cls are included? The article mentions "some 2003's" are affected. Mine was assembled in June of 2002 and came from the marysville ohio plant.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:07 PM
5th Gear

Here's food for thought about the quality of our tranny.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I was involved in a serious front end accident with my CLS. Some of you might remember me posting the pics up of the totalled front end of my CLS, Anyways, when I get into a situation I DO NOT LIKE waiting around. So, I drove my cls about 3 miles WITH NO TRANNY FLUID (since it leaked all over the highway) to my local bodyshop. The car would not shift into 2'nd gear until like 6500 RPM, and the engine temp was through the roof. (since my radiator fluid was also gone)

Now remember, the tranny fluid is cooled through the radiator (that is how I lost the fluid)

Well, It's over a year now, and the only thing they did was replaced a valve of some type, fill the fluid, and it STILL is working STRONG to this day. And I have a '01 CLS with the bad tranny design.

So, You would think from all that my tranny would be subjected to die ASAP after the repairs. But is has not.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Not a Registered User

so are you trying to say that the CL-s auto has a strong tranny???
Old 09-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Balla on a Budget

Well i took in my CL on Monday becasue my was vibrating a little at stoplights, and sometimes the green around the D5 on the dash was fading in and out! They called me 2day and said that it is the begining of a tranny problem, and that they would change the tranny for me.

It will be about a week to get cause of the backorder, but oh well I get my self a Ford Focus the cruise in to get some honeys!

Least it I wont go w/o my car for a month like some of u other guys.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Not a Registered User

i heard that if you go over a month without your car, it's declared a lemon or something, and you can get your money back...has that particular situation happened to anyone at this site???
Old 09-25-2002, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by SicK TypeS
so are you trying to say that the CL-s auto has a strong tranny???
how did I know someone would reply in a negative way
I was simply stating a fucking fact about my situation with my transmission.

Is there an IGNORE feature for certain members on this board?
Old 09-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Old enough to know better

What are you a 5 watt bulb. Your first post made you look like an impatient fool. And you expect respect??
Old 09-25-2002, 10:59 PM
WTB 19s RH C3s or others

how can they not warranty the 99 cl it has bad bad tranny problems and is dangerous ive already changed my tranny twice and its acting up again! this is horse shit
Old 09-26-2002, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally posted by cl-assic
how can they not warranty the 99 cl it has bad bad tranny problems and is dangerous ive already changed my tranny twice and its acting up again! this is horse shit
There are not that many problems with 99cl models when compared to 01+ models. That's probably the reason Honda only extends warranty on newer models.
Friend at work has 99 CL with 90k miles, he only changed tranny fluid at 60k miles and his tranny still feels strong.
So things are not as bad for 99 as you say.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I smoked 2 trannies really bad in the 3 year 45000 mile lease i had in my 98 3.0 CL.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:34 PM
Banned

horseshit? hahaah, you country ass hick.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
Originally posted by BBsAcuraRacing
I smoked 2 trannies really bad in the 3 year 45000 mile lease i had in my 98 3.0 CL.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by gsrblack
I still feel the 6-speeds should be offered a warranty too....like I posted in another thread...what discrimination! Anyways, I wonder what they meant by saying "some" '03 CL/TL's...I was also under the impression they fixed this problem on the '03s.
If the 6 speeds have a problem, I am sure they'll cover those too in the next couple of years.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:14 AM
Drifting

Man, looks like they finally came through. Guess I will see what Acura has to offer for my next car after all...
Old 10-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Suzuka Master

There's Tech Service Bulletins (TSB's) posted long ago for the 1st generation CL!! Ask someone in the First gen forum.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:12 AM
Still trolling

WEll, I am glad I bought used. Paying $350 for a certified Acura got me 7 years/100k mile powertrain warranty and 1 year/12k mile bumper to bumper on top of the exsisting factory warranty. So I have 30k miles on my 99 3.0 CL now, and am covered until 5 years/ 62k miles, and 7/100 powertrain.

http://www.acura.com/preowned/pre_pro_index.asp
Old 10-13-2002, 06:29 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Anyone actually received the letter from Acura yet?
Old 10-13-2002, 06:43 PM

nada
Old 10-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

me neither
Old 10-13-2002, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Nope. Maybe if I don't get it, I won't need it.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
Anyone actually received the letter from Acura yet?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 10-15-2002, 01:53 PM
A-CL Junkie

I checked on the member-link website, and it stated my 2003 was not on the list of affected trannys? not sure if I believe that or not, I guess I will have to wait and see. If you go to the webpage, you may see if your car is on the list.

Quick Reply: Good news for the auto trannys: Extended 100k Warranty!