Comptech Headers and Tranny issues!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Headers and Tranny issues!?

Hey folks,
I was thinking about installing either OBX or Comptech headers, but have concerns about the transmission issues with the CL-S 2001. I know the warranty now covers up through 7 yrs. and 100,000 miles, but does it void the warranty due to the HP gains? Also, what kind of difference will I see if I go with OBX over Comptech or vice versa? I have been reading about Comptech's HP gains being well worth the money, but if my transmission can't handle the extra HP I have a feeling I will be utilizing the extended warranty on them. I like my car stock and all, but feel like I more potential!! :P Thanks for any responses on this!!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:01 AM
aka gimmesomesugar

Just as many(if not more) stock CL's experience tranny issues in comparison to modded CL's. It's hard to say which tranny will die and which one won't. If you do a search on the tranny failure, there are many threads which will explain why the tranny dies.

For example, I've had my CL-S since 06/00 with about 51,000 miles on it and I'm still on my original tranny...some members even longer. But, some are already on their 3rd, 4th, even 5th tranny.

As for the headers, depends on your budget. With Comptech, you're paying a premium, but the quality is there. With OBX, it's affordable, but you sacrifice some quality. Now, I'm not saying OBX is crap...it's not "entirely crap'...you just get the good with the bad. After all, under the hood they perform about the same.

I can go on and on describing the pros and cons of each brand, but there's really no point. Just go with the brand you feel you most want. When choosing though, try to think long-term...I have never come across or heard of a Comptech header failing after so and so years of use. OBX, on the other hand, I have...mostly to do with the welding.

I guess you could say I'm biased towards Comptech...probably because I've owned two sets and neither have had any problems. But, the final decision is up to you my friend.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help! I will take this information into consideration if I choose to buy headers for the car!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Beware of leakage

I have OBX's and like em, little bit of fiting issue, but solved. With the CT you won't have any issues. As far as warranty, the dealership can claim void for whatever mod they want, but I think they have to be able to prove that the mod caused whatever it is to break.