View Poll Results: I had the "band-aid" fix applied to my slushbox
My tranny failed within one week (or sooner).
7.08%
My tranny failed within one month
3.54%
My tranny failed within three months
3.54%
My tranny failed within six months
10.62%
My tranny failed within 1 year
15.93%
My transmission has not failed
47.79%
I have not had the "band-aid" applied and don't want to have it done
11.50%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Band-aid tranny fix survey/poll -- please add your input

Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Band-aid tranny fix survey/poll -- please add your input

Hello members!

Would you be so kind to report your experience(s) with the "band-aid" fix/recall that diverts ATF from the tranny's ATF lines -- and cooler/warmer -- to squirt on the auto tranny's second gear?

I would like to know if you have had positive and/or negative experiences with the “band-aid.” (The “band-aid” is the fix addressed by a recall that was sent out to Acura CL, TL, and other owners over the last year – or so.

If you have had a transmission failure -- or other problems -- after having the "band-aid" fix applied, would you please add additional information about your troubles and if possible add the following (or any other information):

1. Number of miles when modification (band-aid) was applied.
2. Number of miles when problems started and/or tranny died.
3. How long it lasted before it failed after the band-aid was applied.
4. The year of the car.
5. Feel free to add any other information you like concerning lack of power, strange shifting, and/or other "odd" behavior.

If you have had problems, but no failure, after receiving your band-aid fix, please fill out the poll as well. If you have any comments

Finally, if you received the fix and think all is well, please fill out the poll and add any positive comments about your car and/or the dealer experience.
The following users liked this post:
bangumandoo (06-27-2011)
Old 06-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Kmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never heard of the band-aid fix. That is something new to me. Are you refering to the second gear recall?
Originally Posted by EricL
Hello members!

Would you be so kind to report your experience(s) with the "band-aid" fix/recall that diverts ATF from the tranny's ATF lines -- and cooler/warmer -- to squirt on the auto tranny's second gear?

I would like to know if you have had positive and/or negative experiences with the “band-aid.” (The “band-aid” is the fix addressed by a recall that was sent out to Acura CL, TL, and other owners over the last year – or so.

If you have had a transmission failure -- or other problems -- after having the "band-aid" fix applied, would you please add additional information about your troubles and if possible add the following (or any other information):

4. The year of the car.
5. Feel free to add any other information you like concerning lack of power, strange shifting, and/or other "odd" behavior.

If you have had problems, but no failure, after receiving your band-aid fix, please fill out the poll as well. If you have any comments

Finally, if you received the fix and think all is well, please fill out the poll and add any positive comments about your car and/or the dealer experience.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
band-aid == second gear recall

Originally Posted by kmusic305
I never heard of the band-aid fix. That is something new to me. Are you refering to the second gear recall?
YES!

The second gear fix == band-aid fix.

My original quote -- with bolded addition -- covers the basics:

Would you be so kind to report your experience(s) with the "band-aid" fix/recall that diverts ATF from the tranny's ATF lines -- and cooler/warmer -- to squirt ADDITIONAL ATF on the auto tranny's second gear?
ATF is diverted and is squirted on the tranny's second gear to help cool it down. The PCM may be changed out as well -- this changes the shift timing and retard during shifts and is an attempt to reduce stress on the 2nd and 3rd gear clutch packs during shift transitions.

Initially, there were members that claimed their tranny self-destructed within a short period of the band-aid’s addition. Perhaps this was just bad luck and the tranny's clutch packs were already cooked. That's why I was curious to see if anyone had good and/or bad experiences with the mod.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Kmusic

I Live in the Northeast. I had all the recalls done. I have no problems with my tranny.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM
efx
Instructor

Band-aid was installed a few months after my 4th trans was put in.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

The band-aid is Bunk

I purchased my ‘01 CL from a dealer in the Bay Area this last march with 43K miles on it. No issues when I test drove it, in fact I tested a CLS and didn’t like the ride as much and so made them my offer for the CL w/NAV of $15.4K (Asking $ was $19.8K). I also purchased the extended warranty at the last second for $600 for piece of mind. Man am I glad I did.

Soon there after I started to experience the tranny doing a little "gear hunting" . So, I took it in and the dealer explained to me about the tranny issues with these cares and that there was a “band-aid” fix. I asked them all kinds of questions about when the recall was issued and what my options were. Basically, the only option they will give you at first is to have the oil jet for the second gear installed. So I did that and it lasted about a day. The same damn thing was happening again! So I went back to the dealer and demanded that the entire transmission be replaced. They agreed w/o too much of a fight. Although, they said they needed to test drive it for a day on their own to see if they could duplicate the problem. Apparently they did and the tranny (along with the main computer ) were replaced by the dealer. Since then I have had no issues, no gear hunting and the torque actually feels much stronger. So much so, I beat a G35 the other day by a whole care length. (it was a four door though). J

To answer the original posters questions:
1. 43K Mi
2. 44K Mi
3. One day!
4. 01
5. Get the extended warranty if you purchase from the dealer and if you buy it from a private party, make sure the work has been done or the warranty is transferable. The new transmission coasts Honda Americas $6.5K each time, so there’s a reason why they are trying this band-aid fix first.

Good luck to you all and props to this site. Good stuff.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
3rd Gear

5 Transmission Failures waiting on 6

115,000 miles

115,000 miles

Less than 100 miles

4. The year of the car.

2001 CL type S

The dealership replaced the transmission as "good will" at 115,000 miles. Since then we have not made it 3 full months without killing another transmission.

Saturday we cooked another while driving on the freeway. The cars behind were running their windshield wipers because of all the fluid I was spraying on the road. The exact same thing happened New Years Eve. You could hear the fluid boiling in the transmission.

Acura customer service and the dealer have paid for the towing costs, rental cars, labor and all the transmissions.

The Acura Customer Service Rep asked if I would consider buying a new Acura to replace my current CL, I left that question unanswered. I am sure she knew the answer.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

8 months

4. The year of the car.

2003 CL

at 75 mph dropped from 5th to (probably) 2nd gear, when reversing takes few seconds before engaging and then sharply jerks before moving, when you take foot off accelerator will completely cut out and then after a few seconds slams back into gear
Old 06-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

2001 cl-s, used synthetic trans fluid since 20k miles/change out at every 15k after,, trans cooler added at 50k miles, trans band-aid added at 72k miles,, trans died at 84k miles,, replacement has 3k and seems to be working
Old 06-15-2005, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Thumbs down 2002 No Warranty

I have a salvaged title an warranty was voided. I wish I knew before they did the recall which was under warranty and **cked up my car. Two months later tranny started slipping, up/downshifting harshly, and the "5-2"- not locking completley yet.... still waiting for it!!. Dealer wont look at it because now when its **cked there is no warranty. Honda Corp. wont do nothing either even though they know the recall is bull and even blow multiple times after even warranty work. Should I sue? or wait until wheels lock completley and take it back to them? They say that my symptoms are not the same as of the recall symptoms (wheels locking) so it is not covered. Also thay didn"t find anything wrong during the recall (probably never even inspected!) They claim that after the recall its all fine and won't brake again. So when it does do I have a legitimate claim to get it fixed? They said no but that would contradict their statement on the recall. Which is why I'm thinking of a lawyer...... how to start a class action..... cause its just bad components, bad design, and wrong way of handling the recall! ...... NEED HELP!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone know how the 2003's are holding up? From looking at the posts it looks like the 01's are having the most problems. However I've heard that the 04's are having problems too. Guess I should have gotten the 6 speed.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:12 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Band aid applied at 40 k, trans done again at 52k

Now time for my third trans.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:39 PM
5th Gear

As of last February supposedly Acura has made some significant modifications to the CL transmissions. My 2002 Cls failed last month at 80,000 miles and now this is the 4th tranny in the car. The service tech said that in all honesty he hasn't seen any problems with transmissions after replacing them with this new model. So far no problems and hope he's telling the truth.
Its outrageous to have 4 transmissions in the same car with less than 100,000 miles. If this fails again after 100K miles I'm all for some kind of class action suit against Acura. If they made me a great deal on a new car I'd take them up on it, but since they haven't I would like to keep the car and have no car payments for a while.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:04 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by metalman1
Does anyone know how the 2003's are holding up? From looking at the posts it looks like the 01's are having the most problems. However I've heard that the 04's are having problems too. Guess I should have gotten the 6 speed.

A friend called today asking for my help. Her 03 CL has had three transmissions in the past 7 months. I understand that is is currently at the dealer waiting for #4 (might be #3)but will not be picked up. I was with her when she purchased the car new. This is a mature (not old) young lady that does not drive the car hard. It currently has about 20k miles. We will be attempting to 'Lemon Law' this one.

I have an 05 with 9.5-10k miles and no problems so-far. I think I've only read about 2-3 04's that have transmission problems in the Gen 3 forum.

My 02 MDK had the band-aid done at approx 15K, Now has 22.5K and runs like new.

I almost bought a used 03 TLS instead of my 05. Glad I decided to go new and hope it works out.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
FWD tuna boat

Originally Posted by RobsCL
Its outrageous to have 4 transmissions in the same car with less than 100,000 miles.
doesnt the lemon law protect you in instances like this?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
FWD tuna boat

anyone interested in a poll of tranny problems in the CLS vs CLP???
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
5th Gear

Lemon Law -Transmission Problems

The lemon law, at least in PA., states that the problem has to occur 3X within the first year and the dealer cannot fix it. Then its considered a lemon. This happened after that for the first time around 40,000 miles.

I've never had a car that had any transmission problems before. If I could find out that there was any type of action that I could take I would do it.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

2003 = 3 Transmissions in less than 3 years

My '03 Type S is at the dealer as I type. It's getting it's 3rd transmission. 2nd in 6 months. I'm trading it in on an Accord next week. Too bad. I really liked that car.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Ducatilovr

1. # of miles when band-aid was applied - 65,000

2. # of miles when tranny self-destructed - 71,000

3. How long it lasted - 3 months.

4. Year of car - 2002 TL
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Advanced

I started hearing that metal grinding sound on my 2003 CL-p. They told me it should be solved by the 2nd gear recall...for about 4 months after that worked great. Then one day without warning....TRANNNNNY FAILURE. Bad experience on the highway. Its getting replaced as i'm typing this message.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
1. 75k
2. 75k
3. 1 block, aprox. 1/8 mils
4. 2001 CL-P
5. Wouldn't shift to third or reverse. Dealer would've caught it if they test drove the car. Now with the new trans it feels slower.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Unknown since I bought the car with 40K on it

42,XXX miles

See answer for #1

4. The year of the car.

2002 with a build date of 10/01 and an in service date of 3-31-02

Problems with the trans

A. fluid burnt at 41K

B. 2-3 slam under light throttle within a few hundred miles of purchase did not take it in right away becuase I waited until the problem can be readily duplicated

C. When using SSS, and going into 3rd gear, the car lunges pretty hard after the shift has been completed.

D. Car seems OK otherwise........
Old 12-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

Unknown since I bought the car with 40K on it

42,XXX miles

See answer for #1

4. The year of the car.

2002 with a build date of 10/01 and an in service date of 3-31-02

Problems with the trans

A. fluid burnt at 41K

B. 2-3 slam under light throttle within a few hundred miles of purchase did not take it in right away becuase I waited until the problem can be readily duplicated

C. When using SSS, and going into 3rd gear, the car lunges pretty hard after the shift has been completed.

D. Car seems OK otherwise........
update to this

Trans still not replaced since dealer cannot duplicate the problem. car poped out of 3rd for 1 second on this past saturday while in SS mode. Trans is still moving but for the last 2 weeks gas milage just plain sucks donkey balls and my driving habit have not changed (all fwy @65-70mph) Usually I am at about 190-200 for 1/2 tank and now I am at 165....what the fudgesickle?

talk to dealer yesterday and they stated wait till it craps out. I explained to the guy that it is winter time and I really do not want to be driving down the fwy and the car dumps into second as I would most likely wind up in a ditch........
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
update to this

Trans still not replaced since dealer cannot duplicate the problem. car poped out of 3rd for 1 second on this past saturday while in SS mode. Trans is still moving but for the last 2 weeks gas milage just plain sucks donkey balls and my driving habit have not changed (all fwy @65-70mph) Usually I am at about 190-200 for 1/2 tank and now I am at 165....what the fudgesickle?

talk to dealer yesterday and they stated wait till it craps out. I explained to the guy that it is winter time and I really do not want to be driving down the fwy and the car dumps into second as I would most likely wind up in a ditch........
Next time ask him if he wants to be personally responsible for you having an accident due to a transmission that doesn't shift properly. He knows the tranny WILL fail. It's comparable to a tire guy telling you to drive your car with a worn tire that he knows is gonna blow at 70mph.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey

tranny should last at least 70k depending on how you drive.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Instructor

at 68,000 miles i started getting problems with the tranny, brought it in, and they completly replaced it, they replaced the entire computer system and did the 60,000 mile tune up.
in the end it was over 5 grand in work and parts. i paid $98. (auburn acura : auburn,MA)

i guess i got lucky
Old 06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey

wow i hope im that lucky~!
Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

'03 CL-S tranny replaced

I've got 38k and change on mine, just had the tranny replaced a few days ago for all the same problems everyone has mentioned. So far fine, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the noticable loss of torque and power. The car defintely doesn't jump of the line as quickly, and the passing power is weaker. Not sure if it's the PCM or what. It's running smoothly but I hate the difference in power. I also had two broken engine mounts and a rattling sunroof they took care of. Anyone noticed a power loss with the new tranny?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Hey, I got the band-aid at 100,000 miles and now the tranny is slipping/shifting hard (I have to change it) after 25,000 miles (lasted about 2 years)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
7th Gear

1) had the band aid fix done 111,300
2) 114,500 Tranny failed on the hwy going 70 and shifted down into 2nd (thank you seatbelt).
3) Lasted 4 months
4) 2001 CL S
5) 2nd tranny from Acura failed in 2.5 years
6) 3rd tranny from Acura failed in 2 years
7) 4th Tranny installed and got rid of that piece so it never had a chance to fail!!
8) Now have a 6 speed 08 Accord and much happier

STICKSHIFTS FOREVER