6-sp tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry .. the district manager will just take his arrogant stance and say "in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this transmission" and thumb his nose at you!

-Andy
Old 10-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Where's your 6th gear?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After not popping out for a long time, mine did it a few times during my cross country drive. Unfortunately I am in no position for the next 4 months to take it to a dealership for a looksie as I'm tied up in the Navy, but I'm going to press the issue again. There is no reason why it should pop out of first. If it takes all of us cosigning a letter to Honda then that's what it will take. The attitude the dealerships are taking (while respectable because they are trying to save their company money) is not good from a customer service standpoint. Makes me not want to buy an Acura 6-sp product again (even though I absolutely love the car... put on over 5K miles in two weeks!).
Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Visit

Guys, got an update from this end... sorry taken so long to get to this post.
I left the car w/ the dealer another day. List of things they did:
1. Drained tranny fluid and checked for contaminants and filings (signs that the syncros were failing). None found.
2. Drove the car at various times of the day (quite a temp. swing here in LA) ~15 miles total. No irregularities.
3. They double-checked and adjusted the clutch.

Since they've done this, everything seems much smoother. Took it out to a guy I know that used to race to check it out. He said everything feels solid now, although the clutch is still engaged just barely off the floor. He suspected that before the service, the clutch wasn't fully disengaged when on the floor... so that at low RPM (low load) you wouldn't feel a thing, but try to put it in under load and whack. You can test the engagement point by putting a slight pressure on the stick into first from neutral (you'll hear the grind but it won't hurt if you don't push)... keep pushing down the clutch until it goes away. Mine disengages about 1/2" up (but feels like about 1/4")

It's been about a week since the service and no problems any more. Make sure your dealers are documenting everything. Do not allow them to put anything in the documentation stating it may be related to your driving style... they tried this w/ me saying they weren't able to reproduce the problem (popping out or grinding). I told them I have driven the car ~550 miles after the initial 550 mile cross-country (when pickin it up). I've had it pop out of 1st during normal driving 2 times. What's the probability they are going to do it in 15 miles? Anyway, they took that comment off.

If you guys are still havin problems, the guy I know was tellin me all kinds of crap to tell the dealer about. More than I care to ever know about this tranny.

G/L!!!

-- Nihil