'01 Cl-S transmission blown at 60,324 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 Cl-S transmission blown at 60,324 miles

Three weeks ago I'm driving back to Virginia from North Carolina and the gears in my CLS started slipping while in cruise control. The tach pegged out, freaking me out (WTF). I quickly shut off the cruise. The rpm's got back to normal and everything seamed fine. About half an hour later it did it again. This time It was done and could barely move. Limped it to the nearest hotel and had it towed 166 miles to Hall Acura in Virginia beach. Three days later they inform me that the tranny and its computer need to be replaced and its going to cost $5,900 (I almost fell out of my chair). The service manager said he was going to talk to his boss and see if he could get Acura to cover it since my car is in such good shape and the miles were so low. Acura denied the request, so he recommended I call the corporate office myself. A few days later; denied again.

Towed it to AAMCO for a rebuild instead. A normal rebuild was about $1,700 plus any additional hard parts that had broken. And also included all the required updated parts.

The torque converter and a couple other hard parts needed to be replaced increasing the cost too $3,100 with a three year/50K mi warranty or lifetime warranty for $3,578.

Final price with $100 off coupon was $3,478.

My Acura is running strong once again and if there's ever a tranny problem it gets fixed for free with the exception of a $50 co-pay if I take it to a different AAMCO shop from the one that did the rebuild.

During normal driving the shifting is very smooth and responsive. If I open her up her inner beast is unleashed with very positive shifts into each gear. I also noticed a significant improvement in how tight the gear shift is when trying to switch to triptronic mode. No more slipping in all loose as it had been previously.

Needless to say I'm not too happy with Acura. I service my car regularly and even had it serviced at the dealership in Alabama about 500 miles before the tranny died because it had slammed into second gear pulling out of a parking stall.

The check engine light and VSA light came on. However teh check engine light stayed on. They said nothing was wrong with the tranny and that it was an abnormal fault code that came up. I had them service the tranny anyway (normal drain and refill).

another option is to purchase an aftermarket performance tranny online for around $3,500.

I've only been driving my CLS for a few days now; but the rebuild seems to have been the right way to go; especially with a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did they deny you? Your not even close to the mileage cutoff. I would def try to get them to pay that bill.