Your advise needed re: Michelin Sport tires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 05:34 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Your advise needed re: Michelin Sport tires...

I spoke with Tirerack.com. They said for the Type S, to go larger, they recommend the Michelin Sport tire: 225/45ZR/18 @ $242.00 per tire. Is this a worthy tire and price ? I don't have to buy rims from them or do I to fit these tires ?
HELP ?
"I can barely put a nail in the wall"......

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-01-2001, 06:31 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin = shit. Buy Bridgestone or some other high performance tire. Bridgestone Potenzas RE730, Toyo Proxes (Had 'em on my Maxima), or Yokohama AVES (I think).

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 03-01-2001, 07:01 PM
Learn to swim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fabvsix:
I spoke with Tirerack.com. They said for the Type S, to go larger, they recommend the Michelin Sport tire: 225/45ZR/18 @ $242.00 per tire. Is this a worthy tire and price ? I don't have to buy rims from them or do I to fit these tires ?
HELP ?

</font>
If your going 18" like stated above you will need new rims.
If you are going to stay with a stock rim and tire size look into Pirrelli (SP). There are very few tires out here that fit our car.
P7000 is a very nice replacement. I beleive this tire is rated as Very High Performance.
PZero A is another, with a rating of Ultra High Perf. The best you can get. Keep in mind our stock are rated Grand Touring.

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Tan
Comptech Springs, V1

[This message has been edited by tuleman (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-01-2001, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I personally think that tirerack is a ripoff and their selection is limited, shop around! Some of their so called experts gave me conflicting info when I was tire/wheel shopping. Search on the net for other vendors.

g.

------------------
'01 Silver::TYPE-S
::Navi/Spoiler::
::Comptech Springs::
::18x8ADR Enigma & Toyos
::35%tint all around
::type-s license frame
::Muds
::Acura Winter Mats
Old 03-01-2001, 10:46 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

i would look at yoko A520's--had them on my lude and LOVED them!!! excellent, ahem... 'high-speed' traction and control, good weather tire. should be a lot less than $242 per tire, too (OMG!!!)
Old 03-02-2001, 11:57 AM
Acura_CL

Bridgestone/Firestone? I don't THINK so! After what they just went through? I'd rather not have my tire blow up thank you. I'll stick to michelin or Goodyear.
What does Goowyear make that will fit the S?

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
Old 03-02-2001, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember.............ultra high performance tires/aggressive tread patterns start to get pretty noisy at speed. The whine on the Good Years on my Mustang drove me nuts.

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 03-02-2001, 01:23 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

ANy Experience with Yokohama's Parada???

They look unique, but what about wet traction, noise, and how fast do they wear?

Thnaks.

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-02-2001, 02:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I am not sure what is available for the Type S in Goodyear ! I am very discouraged by commment about Michelin tires. I disagree with comments that they are NO good. Hard for me to believe. Now remember, I am NOT costco (wholesale) shopping. So if your shy'd away due to the price of Michelin sports tires, were on a different page. I know nothing about Toyo's, Yokohama and as far as Bridgestone/Firestone, I wasn't born yesterday.
Thanks ! I am going with the Michelin 225/45/18'. Now I have to find the rims !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-02-2001, 06:54 PM
Banned

You guys can say what you want about the bridgestones....but you get p2s and your sitting on the best rubber out there. As for your firestone/bridgestone comments....those are only on SUVs....FORDS to be exact...ya know...
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
CART racing only run Firestones....at least the ones that win...so you tell me.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 03-02-2001, 06:57 PM
Acura_CL

I don't care what Firestone tires were bad and on which vehicle. The fact is they tried to cover it up. Ford did too, but that doesn't take the blame off Firestone. I simply won't put any money into a company that will cover something like that up.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
Old 03-02-2001, 07:20 PM
Banned

Every company does....sorry to tell you this...but every company that thinks it is cheaper to pay lawsuits than to issue recalls is gonna do it....in fact Ford did it a number of times...the Pinto and Corvair are 2...but, then again everyone is entitled to protest in some way....besides, have you ever seen those guys in their explorers and expeditions drive??? They're asking for it....=T

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-02-2001, 09:18 PM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

The only tires (that I know of) available in 225/45-18 are Michelin Pilot Sports. Not such a difficult decision.

Theoretically, you could get some higher offset 18x8 wheels than tire rack sells (+50 or +51) and put some 235/40-18 tires, which would be a much closer match to the stock diameter, than the 225/45-18's.

Problem is Tire Rack doesn't have any tires with the load rating supposedly required by the CL-S.
To get Ultra High Performance tires that have this load rating you are limited to the Toyo Proxes T1-S.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:53 PM

...I know nothing about Toyo's, Yokohama... !

</font>
i can tell you that either will be better than any michelin--unless you just WANT a middle-of-the-road tire (conservative). for asian cars, your best bet will be either toyo, yoko, or nitto...IMO, of course !!!

...oh, and yes, a high-perf tire will definitely have more road noise--but it's well worth it!!!
Old 03-03-2001, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

Tire selection is very tricky.

The first thing you need to remember is that you need to be sure to keep the dimensions of the tire identical to stock.

Secondly, the tires you choose depend upon what you want to do with them, the expected wear, and how much you want to spend.

A high speed rating tire will wear much faster than a lower rating. If it rains a lot in your area then you should be careful about choosing a performance tire. If it does rain hard, you'll have a handful. however, an all season tire may be nice to have, but you sacrifice some traction.

My suggestion is stay with a 17" rim, 18's will slow your car. As for brands, I would suggest the Goodyear, specifically the G-force, or the Yokohama AVS. Pirelli's have good grip but they are soft and wear quickly. What I'm planning on doing is keeping the stock tires and rims for the winter but I will have a separate set for the summer.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:58 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turbo OX:
Tire selection is very tricky.

The first thing you need to remember is that you need to be sure to keep the dimensions of the tire identical to stock.

Secondly, the tires you choose depend upon what you want to do with them, the expected wear, and how much you want to spend.

A high speed rating tire will wear much faster than a lower rating. If it rains a lot in your area then you should be careful about choosing a performance tire. If it does rain hard, you'll have a handful. however, an all season tire may be nice to have, but you sacrifice some traction.

My suggestion is stay with a 17" rim, 18's will slow your car. As for brands, I would suggest the Goodyear, specifically the G-force, or the Yokohama AVS. Pirelli's have good grip but they are soft and wear quickly. What I'm planning on doing is keeping the stock tires and rims for the winter but I will have a separate set for the summer.
</font>
well, not exactly...just make sure that the outer diameter of the tire is the same. you can go to an 18" wheel, you will just have less tire/more wheel (low profile tire). this is great for handling (stiffer sidewall, less flex), but your soft ride will be comprimised. here in houston, our roads just SUCK! i had low profiles/17" wheels on my old lude and could feel every f*cking bump, pothole, crack, etc. really beat the hell out of the car--on a side note, when i drove it to atlanta (super sweet new asphalt everywhere) the ride was perfectly smooth and extremely tight-how it should be. low profile tires will make an INCREDIBLE difference in your handling characteristics!
Old 03-03-2001, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

HELP ?

</font>
Sorry, Tire Rack doesn't quite have their act together.

1. They will tell you that they only recommend the OEM MXM4s for the car.

2. Then they will tell you that you can put the Michelin Pilots on (they told me that too, along with a bunch of other bunk).

The Michelin Pilots are noisy and you would be better off with some RE-730s (if your insistent on going with Tire Rack). BTW the RE-730s handle great, last longer, and are $137 vs $230 ea. (There are other great tires too, check the ratings out on their site.)

The only bummer is the load rating issue:
The stock tires are 215/50-17 93V rated.

The load rating is the number after the 215/50. The 93 represents the weight the tire can stand. The stock MXM4s in our size are *also* "XL" tires. This means that they support that load at a pressure that is less than the max design pressure. Our cars are front heavy *and* I've done the math. Make sure the front tires have at least a 93 rating if your going to do any driving on the freeway or in the heat.

Also, ask Tire Rack or whoever is going to sell you the tires what pressure you will be running vs. the max pressure the tire will handle. Make sure there is some head room!

For example running a tire at 39 lbs with a max pressure of 40 lbs is a recipe for disaster!

The only tires that I have found to date that have an equivalent or better load rating than stock with an equivalent rolling radius are the Toyo T1S Proxy tires in 235/45ZR17-97W*. Toyo also makes some reinforced tires in 225/45 and in some 18" sizes (sorry, I'm being lazy at the moment).

Here is the Toyo site:

www.toyo.com

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-03-2001, 11:28 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Sorry, Tire Rack doesn't quite have their act together.

1. They will tell you that they only recommend the OEM MXM4s for the car.

</font>
I agree.

I think it also depends on who you get on the phone.

In my case they said they would recommend only the oem Michelins on 17" rims, but would only recommend the 225/45-18 Michelin Pilot Sports on 18" wheels. I guess this is because the load rating (91Y - 1992 lbs.)approaches the oem rating. It's also the only tire they have available in that unusual size.

The Toyo T1-S's in 235/40-18 are even closer to the stock diameter than 235/45-17's and have a 95W* (reinforced)load rating

The question is will they fit using 8" rims with 50 offset

Gonna have to test that out myself I guess.

Old 03-04-2001, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Rabbit:
I agree.

I think it also depends on who you get on the phone.

In my case they said they would recommend only the oem Michelins on 17" rims, but would only recommend the 225/45-18 Michelin Pilot Sports on 18" wheels. I guess this is because the load rating (91Y - 1992 lbs.)approaches the oem rating. It's also the only tire they have available in that unusual size.

The Toyo T1-S's in 235/40-18 are even closer to the stock diameter than 235/45-17's and have a 95W* (reinforced)load rating

The question is will they fit using 8" rims with 50 offset

Gonna have to test that out myself I guess.

</font>
Wait a minute... I think you need either a 225/40-18 or a 235/40-18. The 225/40 is 2% under speed and the 235 is almost dead on.

Toyo makes both tires in a reinforced case:

225/40ZR18-92W* (* = XL equivalent)
235/40ZR18-95W* (* = XL equivalent)

I don't think I would get in a pinch over going from a 93 load rated tire to a 92 provided that the tire is an XL tire. The table on the Toyo page has incorrect pressures for my tire, so you might want to check on the 225. In the case of the 235, you could ask a dealer about going 1/2" under size in the wheel width. The dealer is who you need to work with.

Note: I think the "*" reinforced captions on the table are correct. My 235/45ZR17-97W*s are running 39 psi with the a max pressure on the tire equal to 50 psi (I feel very safe).

Finally, if you re-research on Tire Rack using the 225/40-18 or 235/40-18 specs, you will find a ton of tires. It is the 224/45-18 that only returns the 2 high performance tires.

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-04-2001, 11:12 AM
Instructor

DUNLOP SP SPORT 5000 is a very nice tire and is available in CLS size. My friend bought them for his 1999 Avalon and is very happy with them. Check their performance on Tire Rack Ultra Performance All-Season Survey. Good luck.
Silver CLS on LI.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:30 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLS899:
DUNLOP SP SPORT 5000 is a very nice tire and is available in CLS size. My friend bought them for his 1999 Avalon and is very happy with them. Check their performance on Tire Rack Ultra Performance All-Season Survey. Good luck.
Silver CLS on LI.
</font>
Thanks. I thought about the 5000's but getting all season M+S tires is kind of a waste though, in Southern California.

It's too bad they don't make a reinforced SP 9000 in the stock size; having max performance tires that are pretty quiet and great in the rain is cool. . . But then there'd be nothing to talk about.

Probably the thing to do is to try the T1-S's in 235/40-18 and then trade'em in for 225/40-18's if they don't work out.

I understand that if you buy them from an authorized dealer, Toyo will take them back if your unhappy during the first 5000 miles.

Old 03-04-2001, 02:08 PM
Instructor

I dont think that we should be worried about the weight rating being slightly less than the stock tires. Have you noticed that the stock tires on the CL-P are only 91V, 1279 lbs. max load! The Cl-S tires are 93V XL, 1433 lbs. max load!

This is the same car, the CL-S only weighs 50 lbs more than the CL-P.

The weight rating should not be an issue as long as you dont go under the rating for the CL-P.

------------------
2001 CL-P Emerald/Parchment
Old 03-04-2001, 03:08 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres my 2cents on two issues.

First... I think the Michelin Pilot Sports are one of the best high performance tires out there... I also think they are the best looking tire in the world. If your gonna go fast ya may as well look good while doing it.

Second... I will never buy Bridgestone/Firestone. In my office building... there are only 3 companys in the building. One of them is the Bridgestone/Firestone regional headquarters...

Ive had some serious issues with some of the shit I hear those fuckers talkin bout in the hallways....

I knew about both the Ford & Nissan recalls more then a week before they were public... and all they could talk about was their bottom line... never once did they say "oh my god... were killing people every day" and Im not saying every company doesnt do the same... but the fact is... every company doesnt produce tires that are at fault for hundreds of deaths... and know about it the whole time.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-04-2001, 03:21 PM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turbo OX:

</font>
This is a great comment. I would love to "upgrade" to a high performance tire, but as I look outside now, it's raining, and has been for the past week. Plus, I hate buying expensive tires every 20,000 miles. I will probably replace my OEM tires with a similar type of Grand Touring.

I think Turbo has nailed it. All of us will want something different. Fortunately, this thread has pointed out some options that can help us all decide what to do once we decide what we want.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 03-04-2001, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
Every company does....sorry to tell you this...but every company that thinks it is cheaper to pay lawsuits than to issue recalls is gonna do it....in fact Ford did it a number of times...the Pinto and Corvair are 2...

...snip...snip</font>
Not sticking up for Ford here but the Corvair was a Chevy. Main difference was the Ford's gas tank would blow you up, while the Chevy's gasoline exhaust would kill you in the cabin. Nit picking I know.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 03-04-2001, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mattldm:
I dont think that we should be worried about the weight rating being slightly less than the stock tires. Have you noticed that the stock tires on the CL-P are only 91V, 1279 lbs. max load! The Cl-S tires are 93V XL, 1433 lbs. max load!

This is the same car, the CL-S only weighs 50 lbs more than the CL-P.

The weight rating should not be an issue as long as you dont go under the rating for the CL-P.

</font>
I don't think there is a problem with going with the 91 (with conditions). On the other hand, if you ever have a problem resulting from a tire failure that caused warrantee related damage, you might have some issues.

Maybe someone should ask Acura Care what they would do if you put CLP tires and rims on a CLS regarding warrantees.

Also, don't forget that the static load downward is being added to various drag loads at speed.

I would prefer not to second guess Acura's choice in load ratings (my own choice and opinion). It is interesting to note that they specify the 93 load rating on the tire specification. If you put in an oil or other product that doesn't meet the factory requirements, you pay the piper. If one doesn't care about warrantees or safety any tire will do. There are about 40 different tires that will work if you don't care about factory ratings.

I would be most concerned about the pressure that one puts in the replacement tire vs the max pressure rating of the tire.

Enjoy your choice

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-05-2001, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Dang, I had my mind set on replacing my stock tires with Potenza RE730's. They get an excellent rating and customer reviews for dry and WET performance. Wet performance is highly important for me. Dropping the stock rims is not an option for me.

Thus the Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies appear to be my best choice? Any comments?

Thanks for all the good inputs.

------------------
Silver w/ everything but wind deflector and navi. Aftermarket wood trim package, polarg M6, PIAA 19170 on doors, Zaino shine.
Waiting on headers, CAI, sways and new tires (which ones??)
Old 03-05-2001, 10:40 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Why aren't you going for the RE730's again?
They come in both 235/45/17 and 235/40/17 sizes? Just to warn you--expect a decrease in miles/tank when you get these tires. With my 225's I get about 30miles/tank less with the new tires b/c they are so sticky.
------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next

[This message has been edited by JZ (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

The load rating on the 225/17 RE730's is for 1323 which is 110 lbs less than the stock. They have a 235 that has the same rating as our stock but it requires a minimum of 7.5" rims.

Thus the load rating would keep me from buying the potenzas. The Dunlop SP9000 225/17 has a bit higher rating at 1356, but not quite there yet.

Thoughts? I'm by no means an expert on these ratings, but safety is paramount. I drive fast and it gets hot here in Texas in the summer.

------------------
Silver w/ everything but wind deflector and navi. Aftermarket wood trim package, polarg M6, PIAA 19170 on doors, Zaino shine.
Waiting on headers, CAI, sways and new tires (which ones??)
Old 03-05-2001, 01:18 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wireless:
The load rating on the 225/17 RE730's is for 1323 which is 110 lbs less than the stock. They have a 235 that has the same rating as our stock but it requires a minimum of 7.5" rims.

Thus the load rating would keep me from buying the potenzas. The Dunlop SP9000 225/17 has a bit higher rating at 1356, but not quite there yet.

Thoughts? I'm by no means an expert on these ratings, but safety is paramount. I drive fast and it gets hot here in Texas in the summer.

</font>
As you say, according to the manufacturer, The minimum rim width for 235/45-17 is 7.5" and the minimum width for 235/40-18 is 8."

I haven't heard of anyone mounting either of these applications, but it should be possible with appropriately high offsets.

I actually think you might have a better shot with the 18's since I've talked to two people who have installed 235-35-19's on 19x8" rims without rubbing problems (They don't care about load ratings.)

Old 03-05-2001, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I have the Toyo T1S Proxes tires in 235/45ZR17-97W*. I originally had them on stock rims and that works FINE. You can put those tires on 17X7, 17X7.5, or 17X8. 17X8 is the recommended size however.

I have since upgraded (pictures coming tonight, no flames please...) to the SSR Competition wheels. WOW. These things are awesome and fit PERFECTLY. They are 17X8 and the toyo's fit them soooo nicely. No rubbing, no nothing. I went tearing around the mountains on Saturday and hugged each corner something fierce. As a note, my car is not lowered, or sways, or anything. I bet I could even fit the Toyo 245's on these rims and be just fine.

Also, by upgrading my rims and tires I have shaved 48 lbs of weight! My g-tech 0-60 time with a full tank of gas was 5.93. Previously with a 1/4 tank I was 6.24.

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on Stock 17" CL-S wheels
Old 03-05-2001, 05:51 PM
Banned

Sorry...My bad....=T
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Not sticking up for Ford here but the Corvair was a Chevy. Main difference was the Ford's gas tank would blow you up, while the Chevy's gasoline exhaust would kill you in the cabin. Nit picking I know.

</font>

------------------
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
Old 03-05-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro

Technique,

Do post your picture. I too am considering the Competition. SSR makes great rims, and I've always had good experience with their products. Is the weight of the rim ~ 15lbs?

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 03-05-2001, 08:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Technique:
I have the Toyo T1S Proxes tires in 235/45ZR17-97W*. . . They are 17X8 and the toyo's fit them soooo nicely. No rubbing, no nothing. </font>
That's great news!

Made my day. . . I have Comptech springs, so I'm not out of the woods yet, but your positive experience is really good to hear about.

If I recall correctly those SSR Competitions have a +48 offset, right?

What has been your experience with increased tire noise?

Old 03-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moomaster_99:
You guys can say what you want about the bridgestones....but you get p2s and your sitting on the best rubber out there. As for your firestone/bridgestone comments....those are only on SUVs....FORDS to be exact...ya know...
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
CART racing only run Firestones....at least the ones that win...so you tell me.

</font>
The Michelin Pilots (Sport I believe), the one's that replaced the MXXX's are pretty dang good, although I've heard that the Bridgestone Potenze S-02 Pole Positions are just a tiny bit better in the wet. The new Pilots are OEM for Porsche and BMW. If I was going to change, I'd go with the Pilots or the S-02's.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL
Satin Silver
Old 03-06-2001, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I think a subtle point is getting missed here. (I like the Toyos since they work, stick like crazy, and are "overrated" vs the factory tires).

The load rating for a NON-XL tire is based on the specified pressure. In the case of a RE-730, the max load 91 or 93 is at 44 psi. An XL tire supports the same load, but can withstand additional pressure. So please people, don't forget that it isn't just the load rating on the side of the tire.

For example, a non XL tire with a 91 rating at 44 psi, would have to be pressurized to 44 psi to support the weight shown.

Perhaps some of you guys running non-stock tires wouldn't mind reporting on your tire pressures (f/r) and tire size/rating info.

BTW -- The 8" for the Toyo T1S is the "measuring rim" size, not the recommended rim size.

------------------
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-07-2001, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FDao:
Technique,

Do post your picture. I too am considering the Competition. SSR makes great rims, and I've always had good experience with their products. Is the weight of the rim ~ 15lbs?

</font>
Check the gallery for pictures. I just posted them. The 17X8" wheels I got weigh 14lbs each.

------------------
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17" SSR Competition Wheels (48 lbs lighter than stock setup)
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.93 seconds
Old 03-07-2001, 01:42 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Water Rabbit:
That's great news!

Made my day. . . I have Comptech springs, so I'm not out of the woods yet, but your positive experience is really good to hear about.

If I recall correctly those SSR Competitions have a +48 offset, right?

What has been your experience with increased tire noise?

</font>
Ya, +48 offset on my new rims. As far as tire noise, look at the thread titled "No Cal Meet - PICS!!!" or something, I replied there and answered 3 major questions about the tires. I'd link, but I'm too tired right now, sorry...

------------------
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on 17" SSR Competition Wheels (48 lbs lighter than stock setup)
G-Tech (Full tank of gas, 60F, VSA off, SS) - 5.93 seconds

[This message has been edited by Technique (edited 03-06-2001).]