Why we recommend rear camber kits without ball-joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Why we recommend rear camber kits without ball-joints

Our latest Pitboard Posting discusses and issue that is sometimes overlooked by our customers:

Full article is here:
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/pitboard/?p=43

Originally Posted by pitboard post
Some of you know from reading our posts and such over the years that we recommend the Ingalls brand of camber kits for the rear on a TSX/TL/CL/Accord. And this post is to tell you why.

Because the arms mentioned, in addition to those sold by Megan Racing and Eibach, all replace the upper arm in the rear to an adjustable part. The rear upper arm that these kits replace on these cars contains a ball-joint to attach it to the rear hub carrier.
SPC rear camber arm, showing the ball-joint link.

The problem with replacing the stock arm with an aftermarket one is that the stock ball-joints have really high quality rubber on the boots, and are deigned to work within a specific range of motion. Because aftermarket ball-joint boots are of inferior material, and are subjected to altered range of motion (when installed on a lowered car), the boots tend to become brittle and they brake after a while.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for the informative post Marcus.

I have been doing lots of research on camber kits lately, as they will most likely be next mod. I kept seeing these other brands only using one rear arm per side as opposed to the Ingalls using 2 per side. I wondered why?
I had planned on going with Ingalls either way because of past experience with them. However now I have substantial information that confirms Ingalls is the right choice!

On another note I currently have a broken front upper ball joint. I planned to just replace it and the other side with a camber kit. Ingalls offers 2 choices...
One kit is a full replacement upper A arm with ball joint. The other is just the ball joint replacement used with the stock arm. I'm dropped on coils, down 3 inches from stock and plan on running some wide 18 inch wheels and tires in the near future.
Which one is the right choice for me? Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i went the full arm replacement route (bought it straight from ingall's btw ) they seem to give more clearence then the balljoints, when trying to avoid hitting the strut tower (that much shorter)

but adjustable ball joints are nice in the respect that it makes adjusting castor easier though, just turning the ball joint does it

but another good point for the arms though, is that they are designed to use the stock ball joints (but they do include them already though), se when they wear out, you can just go down to the local parts store and get some stock replacement ball joints, such as some moog replacements, and not be bound to go for ingall's ball joints
Old 05-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
I like the Ingalls because they not only adjust camber, but they can adjust toe as well.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
The stock suspension has adjustable rear toe. Camber kits only adjust camber, not toe.

The Ingllals pull the bottom in vs pushing the top out giving you a few more mm's of clearance. They are easier to adjust being on the bottom. My SBC boots cracked 6 months after I installed them and the front Ingalls ball joint boots lasted only a few months. They don't have ball joints that wear out but they do have bushings that wear out.

For the front Ingalls ball joint, I had to drill a big ass hole in the shock tower to clear the nut and stud of the ball joint and replace the cracked boot with the stock boot.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 AM

I know the stock rear end allows for the adjustment of toe. The Ingalls SmartArms do both camber and toe.

http://www.ingallseng.com/38720-smar...-bushings.html

Originally Posted by Product Name
38720 - SmartArm Adjustable Link, Camber/Toe, Rubber Bushings
As for the front end, did you use just the Ingalls ball joints or did you get the entire A-arm?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Me? I got the ball joints. The info I got was that they were the lowest profile available and I would be ok with Tein coilovers. They may be the lowest but they are a lot taller than stock and there's no way these would work unless I raised it up. I heard even the arms are taller than stock and will also hit.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Really? The arms looked shorter then just the ball joints. They dont have the big nut on the top of them. Then again, Ive not measured them up with the stock a-arms.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Yea I saw these adjustable arms and I thought they were pretty awesome. I didn't even know they made them! Skunk2 has an option for the 3g and TSX that is similar.

I am working on adding up those ingalls arms to our site. Lol, I didn't even know they had those!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by RooEng
Me? I got the ball joints. The info I got was that they were the lowest profile available and I would be ok with Tein coilovers. They may be the lowest but they are a lot taller than stock and there's no way these would work unless I raised it up. I heard even the arms are taller than stock and will also hit.
yes the ingall arms are taller then stock, but they also are shorter then the ball joint, due to no nut and such on top
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Yea I saw these adjustable arms and I thought they were pretty awesome. I didn't even know they made them! Skunk2 has an option for the 3g and TSX that is similar.

I am working on adding up those ingalls arms to our site. Lol, I didn't even know they had those!
they even got two options for the arms, like a +1 to -1.5 degree one; and then a -1 to -4 arm [which is kinda useless for most people) (difference is n the plate that the balljoint is in)

also it is nice how they got factory style inner bushings too, (like a pressed-in rubber mounted spherical bearing)

only thing there are a couple of issues with them that can easily be fixed though; i had to grind some of the arm off on the passenger side so it did not hit the body (only like an 1/8 inch though on the lip)
then also it could use some allen bolts with deeper hexs in them, you better have a good bit or they strip kinda easily
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
I have 4 cheap adjustable arms in the rear that cost me about $69.
They have not came loose and have been working great for a few month so far.
My alignment guy was happy to see the arms and said The alinement was fast and went great.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by RooEng
The stock suspension has adjustable rear toe. Camber kits only adjust camber, not toe.

The Ingllals pull the bottom in vs pushing the top out giving you a few more mm's of clearance. They are easier to adjust being on the bottom. My SBC boots cracked 6 months after I installed them and the front Ingalls ball joint boots lasted only a few months. They don't have ball joints that wear out but they do have bushings that wear out.

For the front Ingalls ball joint, I had to drill a big ass hole in the shock tower to clear the nut and stud of the ball joint and replace the cracked boot with the stock boot.
Do you have a pic of the hole you cut threw your shock tower ?
What size hole did you cut?
I'm thinking of doing the same.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Just pull off the wheel and look at the mark the ball joints are leaving in the wheel house. Just put a hole there. That's what I would say anyway.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
B A N N E D

Just pull off the wheel and look at the mark the ball joints are leaving in the wheel house. Just put a hole there. That's what I would say anyway.
or look in the engine bay itself, and see the indents there, then don't even bother lifting the car to drill the holes
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 PM

^+2

Mr heal toe,That would be backwards wouldn't it ?
I would have to take the whole control arm out to do it from underneith. I can't even see the top of the balljoint from under with the suspension hanging.
It would not come out even that way either.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, assuming your wheel houses are not trashed yet, you could see marks in there before they actually make dents. Just sayin' :P

Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM
B A N N E D

Well, assuming your wheel houses are not trashed yet, you could see marks in there before they actually make dents. Just sayin' :P

doesn't really matter cause you be removing the "trashed" part anyways when you drill it with the holesaw
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM

your just talking about something you have no clue about.
I know you don't have a lowered car.
Because you would not even be able to see where it was hitting underneith.
ME: look for a way to see either of the upper ball joints.
drill one, then match the other from the top and drill that one. It will be where it needs to be,and it will be even.

You: Take apart half the suspension.
drill from underneith and your holes still don't come out even.
Then after putting the suspension back together and most your day gone you still have a handful of nuts and bolts in your hands saying where the F!@# do those go.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok that was kinda rude. I do have a clue on it. More than you probably know. But, I don't usually like to set my car up in a way that causes interference with parts. I honestly don't think the camber kits are even necessary in the front on these cars.

But if you insist and will end the discussion
YOU: Are right, it's easier from the top. :P

ME: Don't care that much about negative camber. Suggest keeping the stock ball joints.

Me to you RE: "the F!@# do those go" *thumbs nose at you*
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
B A N N E D

yeah front camber kits not mandatory on these cars, not a whole lot of camber gain on these cars when the suspension compresses

i think i said before , but i got mine cause i had cross camber issues (0.4 degrees, i know not much, but enough to annoy me though, with a ever so slight pull), and not because i had too much camber, hell it was like perfect, and it is still set at like -0.9 as it was before i got the adjustable issue (but they are dead even side to side now )
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Ok that was kinda rude. I do have a clue on it. More than you probably know. But, I don't usually like to set my car up in a way that causes interference with parts. I honestly don't think the camber kits are even necessary in the front on these cars.

But if you insist and will end the discussion
YOU: Are right, it's easier from the top. :P

ME: Don't care that much about negative camber. Suggest keeping the stock ball joints.

Me to you RE: "the F!@# do those go" *thumbs nose at you*
Well said.